• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone want a treadmill? (aka Wal-Mart.com has lost its damn mind)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Wall of Shame

Palmer_v1 finds it 'reprehensible' how he never acts quickly enough to take advantage of a scam.

ComputerMKII is disgusted with the U.S., that nation of thieves. In his country, thievery isn't allowed even though he'd give it his best attempt.

Diamount is sick of people in need making themselves look bad in big groups, which is why when he scams a system, he spreads it out over multiple corporations.

Ripclawe is pretty certain that Nelson Mandela is playing GTAV on a Toshiba from his death bed.

Wall of Cute Misplaced Loyalty

PsychoRaven is consistent. Consistently judgemental of people who wrong Walmart, but consistent nonetheless.

Note: all first quotes are from a single thread about a glitch at Walmart allowing carriers of food stamps to get unlimited food for one afternoon.

YESSSSS

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
explain it away? The comparison makes zero sense, unless you dismiss all the facts

The food stamp thieves

That glitch wasn't even walmart's fault, it was the contractor.

If the glitch was prices of foods dropped and they bought within the limits of their food stamps, I have zero problems, but that didn't happen.

In this case walmart.com glitched, you pay with your own money and hope it gets honored but in most cases, the prices won't be.

and the other difference, government ain't coming after me for getting a cheap bike.

I...wait...so your argument is that because stuff was mistakenly given for free that means that its fundamentally different from it being mistakenly offered at a severe (orders of magnitude in some cases) discount?

Why is that intrinsically different?

This thread is about dat ether sent Ripclawe and Computers way. It burns me just thinking about it.

my eyes are watering from it.

I...wait...so your argument is that because stuff was mistakenly given for free that means that its fundamentally different from it being mistakenly offered at a severe (orders of magnitude in some cases) discount?

Why is that intrinsically different?

because. ya know?

Some stores (including Amazon if I'm not mistaken) have been known to honor some orders made with an unusually low price (due to their own mistake), even though they had no legal obligation to do so. Since both parties consented to the exchange and the goods weren't paid with welfare stamps/currency, I don't see how you could call that theft. It's a private matter. Food stamps, by definitions, are financed by theft, also known as taxation.

In America, houses are financed the same way.

Satch

Banned
tag quote

stet knows the song of my people

exposing hypocrites as the filth that they are by using the truth of their actions is so hot to me
imRsQxFHWsTjV.gif

my mating call
imRsQxFHWsTjV.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Some stores (including Amazon if I'm not mistaken) have been known to honor some orders made with an unusually low price (due to their own mistake), even though they had no legal obligation to do so. Since both parties consented to the exchange and the goods weren't paid with welfare stamps/currency, I don't see how you could call that theft. It's a private matter. Food stamps, by definitions, are financed by theft, also known as taxation.

Oh right, I forgot. You're that guy

From what i've read today a fair number of these transactions seem to have been completed by cashiers who for whatever reason didnt see anything wrong with letting a $1500 television go for $330 or however much it was. Some of them were approved by store managers, but others were just let go. It's a little different from ordering something that was mispriced on Amazon and them deciding to give it to you, in this case these employees didn't catch what was happening or didn't think about it. At least that's my understanding of this situation.

Haha. Yeah, when the general concept is "Order it as 'pick up in store' and get there before the workers get the call from corporate" then that's not really Walmart being ok with it.

tmarques

Wall of Shame

Palmer_v1 finds it 'reprehensible' how he never acts quickly enough to take advantage of a scam.

ComputerMKII is disgusted with the U.S., that nation of thieves. In his country, thievery isn't allowed even though he'd give it his best attempt.

Diamount is sick of people in need making themselves look bad in big groups, which is why when he scams a system, he spreads it out over multiple corporations.

Ripclawe is pretty certain that Nelson Mandela is playing GTAV on a Toshiba from his death bed.

PsychoRaven is consistent. Consistently judgemental of people who wrong Walmart, but consistent nonetheless.

That was pretty great until PsychoRaven. Seems like you're basically giving him sh*t for having an opinion you disagree with.

Milchjon

BTW, has it been explained yet what happened there?

I guess only certain items were priced incorrectly, and there was no pattern to the amount?

BTW, has it been explained yet what happened there?

I guess only certain items were priced incorrectly, and there was no pattern to the amount?

It seemed like expensive stuff was cheap and cheap stuff was expensive. $500 flight sticks, $300 dumbbell sets and treadmills and shit were $20-$30 and sets of hot wheels were hundreds of dollars

Dkbp47e.png

The most tragic aspect of this is that the department managers and employees honoring this hack/whatever risk termination, and will likely go on government assistance such as food stamps, and will be the first in line the next time there is a pricing error. Thus, the cycle continues. Good job internet.

Milchjon

It seemed like expensive stuff was cheap and cheap stuff was expensive. $500 flight sticks, $300 dumbbell sets and treadmills and shit were $20-$30 and sets of hot wheels were hundreds of dollars

So did someone wreak havoc on purpose? That doesn't really sound like a technical error...

The most tragic aspect of this is that the department managers and employees honoring this hack/whatever risk termination, and will likely go on government assistance such as food stamps, and will be the first in line the next time there is a pricing error. Thus, the cycle continues. Good job internet.

You are so good at these things.

Eric C

Wall of Shame

Note: all first quotes are from a single thread about a glitch at Walmart allowing carriers of food stamps to get unlimited food for one afternoon.
The burn-age it's just too awesome

ElRenoRaven

ffs, get over yourself lol

Angry? Need a hug?

He's not in the Wall of Shame. Stet's not giving him shit; he's just amused.

Yea I don't think he is at all either. Nothing heavily anyway. I worded my reply badly. Probably shouldn't have used the word called out. But you live and learn when you write something quickly with very little thought. I wrote it quickly while shutting down work computer. I realize he wasn't calling me out really. I was simply using that as a way to kind of pitch my 2 cents in about why I said the things I said and to explain that it's not a loyalty thing. That's the point I was making.

User 406

Banned

That's a few more people for Ripclawe, Computer, et al to feel smugly superior to, so I suppose that's a silver lining.

Although to be fair, if they work for Wal-Mart, they're probably already on government assistance.

bcl0328

Walmart.com just sent you a refund

:(

kind of pissed since a lot of people got the prices in stores and get to keep their stuff.

"Given the wide discrepancy in pricing, we are notifying customers who ordered these items that their orders have been canceled and that they'll be refunded in full," said Ravi Jariwala, a spokesman for Wal-Mart's online operations. "In addition, we will send these customers a $10 e-gift card that can be used towards future purchases at Walmart stores and Walmart.com. We apologize again for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers."

I seriously doubt any store employee will be written up or terminated. It happened so early and quickly that no one in the company really knew what was going on until it the poop hit the fan.

On a store employee level I'm sure there will probably be policy changes on picking up items in store that were purchased online.

Depending on how much money they lost selling items below cost overall who knows how it will be detrimental to each store. Some stores might be allowed to use "clearance money" for the incident on the items sold. Each store is given this allowance usually to mark items for discounts below cost that are typically display TV's, seasonal holiday goods, etc. Now if it's counted as "shrink" it would affect employees of the store getting their annual bonus for low shrink.

Again it all depends on the severity of instance. At the very worst it might affect planned wage increases for store employees or starting employee wages but it's hard to say how it affect things.

Wall of Shame

ibdtBXSjlAZtzA.gif

pompidu

Wall of Shame

:eek:

Give this man a tag. Not surprised to see ripclawe and mk2 on here. that thread. ..

A really odd thing that also went on over on Gaming was people who chose to use Walmart's screw up to price match video games and TVs at Best Buy and Target. At least I'm pretty sure that's what I was seeing going on.

If Walmart thinks they wouldn't benefit from the transaction, they wouldn't honor the orders. If they do honor the orders, obviously they think the transaction is still beneficial to them somehow, then how is anything done 'against' them?

I assume you would return the goods if they had already shipped to you before they caught the glitch and cancelled unfulfilled orders. You don't have to actually answer--your heart knows whether you are really a hypocrite or not.

I seriously doubt any store employee will be written up or terminated. It happened so early and quickly that no one in the company really knew what was going on until it the poop hit the fan.

On a store employee level I'm sure there will probably be policy changes on picking up items in store that were purchased online.

Depending on how much money they lost selling items below cost overall who knows how it will be detrimental to each store. Some stores might be allowed to use "clearance money" for the incident on the items sold. Each store is given this allowance usually to mark items for discounts below cost that are typically display TV's, seasonal holiday goods, etc. Now if it's counted as "shrink" it would affect employees of the store getting their annual bonus for low shrink.

Again it all depends on the severity of instance. At the very worst it might affect planned wage increases for store employees or starting employee wages but it's hard to say how it affect things.

As a former electronics department manager and the one in charge of site to store and in store pick up, electronics employees come in at 7 AM, and the person in.charge of overnight.in store pick ups is the assistant manager in charge that night. If they were doing their job, they might have noticed, but the system for in store pickup doesn't show you what the customer paid. That only shows up on their receipt. And if they have already paid online, there is nothing they can do to refuse the order.

Also, since this was an online order, no money for said item would be included for sales to that store, so there should be no negatives for the store itself. Online pick ups don't affect sales of a department, last I checked. That is one of the reasons that.there is a no price match work Wal-Mart.com in store.

LordCanti

Damn, would have tried for a TV if I had been awake when this happened. I've already got a treadmill, but if they'd let me walk on out with one for $30, I guess I'd have had a backup.

Wall of Shame

EBpPL.gif

bananas

Banned
If Walmart thinks they wouldn't benefit from the transaction, they wouldn't honor the orders. If they do honor the orders, obviously they think the transaction is still beneficial to them somehow, then how is anything done 'against' them?

The only thing worse than someone who is caught being a hypocrite is someone trying to rationalize their hypocrisy.

AniHawk

Wall of Shame

no amount of quoting will be enough. well fucking done sir. i tip my hat to you.

bjork

maybe they were treasure hunts and they decided to say "fuck hot wheel collectors."

Palmer_v1

lol. Nice post Stet, but there are some vast differences. Just as an example, did anyone who was foiled on these TV deals leave huge piles of product in the aisle to spoil and waste before it could be restocked?

Does taking advantage of this TV deal prevent others from getting access to their own basic neccessities?

Are any of the TV people abusing a government service to do it?

Nope, but it's still a good effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom