• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone want a treadmill? (aka Wal-Mart.com has lost its damn mind)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Wall of Shame

Palmer_v1 finds it 'reprehensible' how he never acts quickly enough to take advantage of a scam.

ComputerMKII is disgusted with the U.S., that nation of thieves. In his country, thievery isn't allowed even though he'd give it his best attempt.

Diamount is sick of people in need making themselves look bad in big groups, which is why when he scams a system, he spreads it out over multiple corporations.

Ripclawe is pretty certain that Nelson Mandela is playing GTAV on a Toshiba from his death bed.

Wall of Cute Misplaced Loyalty

PsychoRaven is consistent. Consistently judgemental of people who wrong Walmart, but consistent nonetheless.

Note: all first quotes are from a single thread about a glitch at Walmart allowing carriers of food stamps to get unlimited food for one afternoon.

#rekt

VZGXhku.jpg

not me

Ryaaan14

Banned
Wall of Shame

Palmer_v1 finds it 'reprehensible' how he never acts quickly enough to take advantage of a scam.

ComputerMKII is disgusted with the U.S., that nation of thieves. In his country, thievery isn't allowed even though he'd give it his best attempt.

Diamount is sick of people in need making themselves look bad in big groups, which is why when he scams a system, he spreads it out over multiple corporations.

Ripclawe is pretty certain that Nelson Mandela is playing GTAV on a Toshiba from his death bed.

PsychoRaven is consistent. Consistently judgemental of people who wrong Walmart, but consistent nonetheless.

Note: all first quotes are from a single thread about a glitch at Walmart allowing carriers of food stamps to get unlimited food for one afternoon.
God damn!!!

- Checked every store in my county; none had the 55' Samsung TV

- On a whim, went inside one store and they in fact, had one on Display

- Asked if they had any in the back; they said no. Asked if they could sell me the floor model; they said no.

- Then asked to speak to the manager. Said he actually had one left in the back that was 'damaged', said the box was just in really bad shape.

- We take apart the box and check the TV, looks like it's in good shape. Manager says he'll give me 20% at the full price (which I think was $1500-ish)

- Showed him my printout of the online page (with $329 price). He starts laughing and asks if this a joke. I told him no. He checks online and confirms the price, but can't get the page to load (or do in-store pickup).

- Electronics manager finally says no sale, says the website won't load and something smells 'fishy'. I start pretending to be offended and ask to speak to a store manager.

- Store manager comes back; we talk a bit. He looks at my printout. Notes the TV box is damaged and that I've been waiting there for 40 minutes.

- Store manager tells electronics manager to give me the TV for $329. Tells me Merry Christmas. The end.

And i bet you that Manager got chewed out afterwards. Department managers hold no real power. When at Walmart a Dpt manager gives you a hard time always ask to speak to a Store Manager.

Wall of Shame

This is some next-level stalking.
Can't believe how many people keep a close eye on people and their posting histories. I don't buy that you just check their posting history, unless you've been checking the histories of everyone who have posted in this thread.

Can't believe how many people keep a close eye on people and their posting histories. I don't buy that you just check their posting history, unless you've been checking the histories of everyone who have posted in this thread.

That's not stalking. It's a public forum. He probably remembers their bullshit from the welfare thread and just went back into that thread to pull up the quotes.

You don't want someone using your words against you, don't put em on the internet.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Really Squid? It's two threads total and both were fairly high profile. Takes about 30 seconds to type the name of a GAF thread and username into Google. And IIRC all the people posted were very verbally aggressive in decrying the people utilizing the food stamps error as thieves and degenerates. It's fairly hypocritical to see the 180 when it involves something they want.

Basically this:
Flipping electronics or upgrading them makes someone an enterprising individual.

Getting food though? Idiot shady ass poors.

If you had read my post history you would have found my answer too. tl;dr I stand by what I've said in both threads.

If you find this hypocritical, you're either desperate for controversy or are hypocritical yourselves (not reading threads in their entirety and paying attention).

Cyan

Banned

Or he remembered that other thread since it was like a month ago, and did some quick cross-referencing.

While I wouldn't want to see this happening all the time with people delving years back into people's post histories looking for possible hypocrisy, I much prefer this specific calling out to the "GAF hivemind said x now GAF hivemind says y!" that we see a lot of on gaming side.

Plus, it was awesome.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you had read my post history you would have found my answer too. tl;dr I stand by what I've said in both threads. Only people desperate for easy controversy or who do not pay attention will find it 'hypocritical'.
Right. According to you taxes equate to theft, therefore they're completely totally different situations.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Wall of Shame
You continue to be my favorite.

I think you underestimate how long well timed, dumbassed comments remain in the collective memory, especially when that same person come and makes a similar and/or contradictory post on a similar subject.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Stet, wow, I was wondering about how these two events would intersect here, and you delivered.

Did you also post this in the main thread in Gaming?

This is the sort of ownage that you tell your children about and they in turn tell their children and their children until one day in the far future, the username Stet becomes synonymous with owning someone.

I'm glad I was witness to this historic moment.

It almost approaches Amir0x levels of fuckery. Even better are them trying to explain it away.

Narag

Still laughing about his post, hope he gets tagged for this heroism.

When the Walmart stuff started, it came up in two different irc channels that it'd be interesting to see this and the EBT thread cross referenced. Didn't think someone would actually do it though.

ElRenoRaven

Wall of Shame

You know what I'm proud to be called out. Because I showed that I'm not a hypocrite. That said I have to say this.

Loyalty? LMAO. No it's not loyalty. In fact I tend to really dislike Wal Mart. They've really gone down the crapper after the old man died. It's a shame too. What is wrong is wrong though be it what happened before or now. It just happens that both of these things happened at Wal Mart. If this had happened at say Target I'd have said the same thing. People were in each circumstance abusing a glitch, bug, or just honest mistake someone made. In both cases it's wrong what people did.

Here is how I look at it. I put myself in the place of whoever made the mistake that caused the glitch people took advantage of this morning. Odds are that guy or gal probably has lost a job today. All because they probably made a mistake that jumbled up the database. Now that guy or gal is probably out of a job. If it was me that would suck. Hence would I want to lose a job over a simple mistake? No. So why would I do that to someone else.

Comes back to that little thing called the Golden Rule.

Wall of Shame

I love you

It almost approaches Amir0x levels of fuckery. Even better are them trying to explain it away.
So you purposefully choose to misunderstand just for laughs.

If a glitch caused Amazon to sell stuff for an extreme discount, I would try to buy it. Whether Amazon chooses to honor the order or not is their decision. There would be no sale without Amazon's consent. They decide. Explain to me (that goes for Stet, too) how that's stealing, because I don't see it.

On the other hand, food stamps is currency which the federal government gives you. When I called America a nation of thieves, it's not Walmart which gets stolen from, it's taxpayers.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

If a glitch caused Amazon to sell stuff for an extreme discount, I would try to buy it. Whether Amazon chooses to honor the order or not is their decision. There would be no sale without Amazon's consent. They decide. Explain to me how that's stealing, because I don't see it.

On the other hand, food stamps is currency which the federal government gives you. When I called America a nation of thieves, it's not Walmart which gets stolen from, it's taxpayers.

Your double standards secret is safe with me.

Not so much with Stet however.

If a glitch caused Amazon to sell stuff for an extreme discount, I would try to buy it. Whether Amazon chooses to honor the order or not is their decision. There would be no sale without Amazon's consent. They decide. Explain to me (that goes for Stet, too) how that's stealing, because I don't see it.

Using glitch against A is okay.

Using glitch against B isn't.

bjb

Banned
You know what I'm proud to be called out. Because I showed that I'm not a hypocrite. That said I have to say this.

Loyalty? LMAO. No it's not loyalty. In fact I tend to really dislike Wal Mart. They've really gone down the crapper after the old man died. It's a shame too. What is wrong is wrong though be it what happened before or now. It just happens that both of these things happened at Wal Mart. If this had happened at say Target I'd have said the same thing. People were in each circumstance abusing a glitch, bug, or just honest mistake someone made. In both cases it's wrong what people did.

Here is how I look at it. I put myself in the place of whoever made the mistake that caused the glitch people took advantage of this morning. Odds are that guy or gal probably has lost a job today. All because they probably made a mistake that jumbled up the database. Now that guy or gal is probably out of a job. If it was me that would suck. Hence would I want to lose a job over a simple mistake? No. So why would I do that to someone else.

Comes back to that little thing called the Golden Rule.

ffs, get over yourself lol

Using glitch against A is okay.

Using glitch against B isn't.

If Walmart thinks they wouldn't benefit from the transaction, they wouldn't honor the orders. If they do honor the orders, obviously they think the transaction is still beneficial to them somehow, then how is anything done 'against' them?

Enzom21

The EBT error didn't cost the tax payers a damn thing. Walmart covered the cost for the error, just like in this instance. You're a huge hypocrite.

Wall of Shame

SAUTÉ DEM

If Walmart thinks they wouldn't benefit from the transaction, they wouldn't honor the orders. If they do honor the orders, obviously they think the transaction is still beneficial to them, then how is anything done 'against' them?

From what i've read today a fair number of these transactions seem to have been completed by cashiers who for whatever reason didnt see anything wrong with letting a $1500 television go for $330 or however much it was. Some of them were approved by store managers, but others were just let go. It's a little different from ordering something that was mispriced on Amazon and them deciding to give it to you, in this case these employees didn't catch what was happening or didn't think about it. At least that's my understanding of this situation.

Cyan

Banned
If Walmart thinks they wouldn't benefit from the transaction, they wouldn't honor the orders. If they do honor the orders, obviously they think the transaction is still beneficial to them somehow, then how is anything done 'against' them?

Exactly. Why did they honor the EBT transactions, which was against explicit policy that was in place for exactly the sort of outage that had happened?

Also note that Walmart was, completely appropriately, left holding the bag on those transactions, so there was no "theft" from taxpayers.

You can continue to argue about this, but it might actually be useful as an introspection tool. Why exactly are you so set on the EBT users being thieves and you personally being totally justified for what comes to empirically the same result? No need to answer that, just something to think about.

I don't see that as a callout. You showed consistency, so good job dude. Nothing you need to defend.

No, let's be honest about this.

If it's the kind of stealing that benefits you: you will rationalize it and think it's fine.

If it's not those other people are shady criminals.

Ripclawe

Banned

explain it away? The comparison makes zero sense, unless you dismiss all the facts

The food stamp thieves
The outage allowed Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) purchases to be made on EBT cards, even though they were not showing limits for a period of about 2 hours on that night. Crowds filled the aisles at least 3 Walmart stores in North Louisiana during that period, loading up shopping carts and clearing shelves. When the system was restored and the limits reappeared, many shoppers reportedly abandoned those carts and left the store.

It happened at retail stores in 17 states, but most followed contractual requirements to set a $50 limit and call for authorization of charges during a system outage.

That glitch wasn't even walmart's fault, it was the contractor.

If the glitch was prices of foods dropped and they bought within the limits of their food stamps, I have zero problems, but that didn't happen.

In this case walmart.com glitched, you pay with your own money and hope it gets honored but in most cases, the prices won't be.

and the other difference, government ain't coming after me for getting a cheap bike.

The state has asked the USDA, which runs the SNAP program, for permission to revoke benefits from those who knowingly overcharged their EBT cards. While they said they expected a response late last week, there has been no word of it actually arriving.

Louisiana's current SNAP policy allows a one year sanction from the program for a first offense, a 24 month suspension for a second offense and a permanent disqualification for a third offense.

No, let's be honest about this.

If it's the kind of stealing that benefits you: you will rationalize it and think it's fine.

If it's not those other people are shady criminals.

Nonsense. Stealing would be me hacking into the site and changing the prices to then buy it or knowingly trying to buy past my credit limit. to equate the two is one of those gotcha moments that isn't a gotcha.

So much justification for your right to take advantage of something versus another group of people.

Seriously. Who do you think you're kidding right now?

explain it away? The comparison makes zero sense, unless you dismiss all the facts

The food stamp thieves

That glitch wasn't even walmart's fault, it was the contractor.

If the glitch was prices of foods dropped and they bought within the limits of their food stamps, I have zero problems, but that didn't happen.

In this case walmart.com glitched, you pay with your own money and hope it gets honored but in most cases, the prices won't be.

and the other difference, government ain't coming after me for getting a cheap bike.

Nonsense. Stealing would be me hacking into the site and changing the prices to then buy it or knowingly trying to buy past my credit limit. to equate the two is one of those gotcha moments that isn't a gotcha.

it's amazing how badly you've missed the point. but, I guess when you try to explain away your own hypocrisy you have to adjust the goalposts to suit your needs.

So much justification for your right to take advantage of something versus another group of people.

Seriously. Who do you think you're kidding right now?

he's kidding himself. that's the great thing. his bullshit is only for his benefit. better to obfuscate than confront your own faults. it's okay. we all know and see what's really going on with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom