• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core 6 gameplay previews dropping

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, again, stuff like this or some of the super sharp turning as you/the enemy speed past each other in other footage definitely seem to show the Zelda-style lock on/strafing systems Souls adopted instead of all manual controls, right?

Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but a big change compared to manual controls (with generous crosshair/auto aim/fire and forget weapons lock-on) and something that is undeniably Souls-like even if other aspects of it are still AC.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

So, again, stuff like this or some of the super sharp turning as you/the enemy speed past each other in other footage definitely seem to show the Zelda-style lock on/strafing systems Souls adopted instead of all manual controls, right?

Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but a big change compared to manual controls (with generous crosshair/auto aim/fire and forget weapons lock-on) and something that is undeniably Souls-like even if other aspects of it are still AC.

Souls games invented lock on now?

Proudly.

I don't buy every game. Premium games only. Along with a few high quality, non-generic indies.

And if you completely ignore the tech in your game, its not worth my investment. Period.

You see the price of this shit?

Screenshot-2023-06-14-at-8-58-57-PM.png

Thats before Tax. Damn near $800 after Tax. I did not buy this thing to play PS4 era games. I did not buy it to play cross gen games.

You see the price of a new game? Fucking $90 dollars. You know how much that is after Tax? $100+ dollars.

Screenshot-2023-06-14-at-8-59-30-PM.png

$100 dollars for every. single. new. game.

Redfall? $100 dollars.
Gollum? $100 dollars.

Whether it be a broken POS, or a last gen looking game, its still $100 dollars.

If you're charging me that much, I will simply not buy it if you completely ignore the tech in your game. Thats why I simply just don't fuck with FROM.

Laugh if you want. Its my money.
Wtf how is it a hundred dollars that’s nuts. And the price of the console?? I got my ps5 de for 400

Rat Rage

I'd rather play the old Armored Core games with real Armored Core gameplay. Maneuvering your mech (with all its difficulties) and having no direct lock-on system has always been one of the most fun aspects (apart of the customization) of the Armored Core games to me. To me, it's a key factor in immersing yourself into the world of japanese mecha action and design.

FROM is clearly catering to the Souls crowed here, and there will be a lot of people quite happy with what they've been seeing. Still, AC6 is probably gonna be yet another example of what I hate the most about today's modern gaming industry: gaming's homogenization both visually and gameplay-wise. IP's are simply losing their identity. Visual and gameplay variety has been declining. Everything fucking looks and plays the same, which ultimately leads to boredom.

Even the dude in the video started right off with saying something along the lines of "yes, it looks a bit like Amored Core, it looks a bit like Souls gameplay, and there is something similar to Sekiro in here as well" - and that's exactly what pisses me off to hard: back in the day, if you saw an Armored Core game it didn't look like anything else, it just looked and felt like Armored Core (and there were many other games that felt like their own thing, too - I'd even say way more than today).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I think mostly because how enemy and boss designed in AC6, in old AC games most enemies attack you with long range attacks and you mostly did same with rarely using melee.

In AC 6 both you and enemies/bosses use combination of range and melee attacks. Some people will like change some wont, I personally happy with it.

I've criticized a lot the "I don't even see it but I know it is going to be good guys"
wojak-pointing.gif

But now that we have REAL gameplay showcase I have to say that this looks very good!!!

GenericUser

So it's souls with mechs essentially? I was hoping for something more. But I'll wait for the final game, before I make my final judgement.

CGNoire

Big ACFA fan here and while I will still support the series Im disapointed in what I saw.

Way slower mechs.
Looked to be alot of close combat focus.
The lock on change seems suspect.
The limited gear slots to appease newbies.
The fact that it looks worse than alot of those screenshots they showed
That the mech bay has way better lighting than the game (a problem they have always had but here the disparity is too much.)
Still even with the outdated visuals ....no self shadowing?....wtf devs?
It looks too damm close to the combat of other 3rd person action games.
Where is its combat idenity?

I as a big fan will probably still support the series but I cant help but feel that From had sold out here.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
giphy.gif

I don't understand how you came away from that post with this take.
For real, I even mentioned that one way older series Souls aped on that front (and that likely wasn't the very first either) 😂🤣

Anyway, just saying, initial reports were how they are adopting their successful new games' style to bringing back AC, then they backpedaled at some point, talking about how it's totally different and not doing that at all, but it seems this one big and gameplay defining element was adopted after all and makes it hugely different to past AC games' moment to moment action even if the rest of the game structure is more like them.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Do these games have story or do you have to read a thousand item descriptions, find obscure references and subscribe to vaatividya for it to make sense?

They are not very story heavy. You have a series of selectable missions; you read mission briefings & stuff happens in them. Characters radio you mid-mission. Every now and then there’s a cutscene for a major plot development. The story is not why you play Armored Core lol

stranno

This series always had that Souls vibe. I remember Project Phantasma being really challenging and technical, but of course controls were absolute garbage, that counts as well.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

This game looks amazing, I get that AC fans are probably upset that some of thier games identity is being replace with some of the Souls games more popular mechanics, I've been there with alot of my favorite franchises.

The big difference here to me with some of the franchises I loved that have changed is that they have gotten worse as a result not better but from my understanding of the AC series they may have a couple good games but in the whole are mostly mid or are plagued with inferior game design throughout them that thier fans just suffer through.

The Souls games combat design are the best in the business so this franchise incorporating alot of that good game design is only a net positive. And I still see plenty of AC in there too to be frank.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

They are not very story heavy. You have a series of selectable missions; you read mission briefings & stuff happens in them. Characters radio you mid-mission. Every now and then there’s a cutscene for a major plot development. The story is not why you play Armored Core lol
Never played one so it wanted to know haha, should've known considering who is it from. Thanks!

Do these games have story or do you have to read a thousand item descriptions, find obscure references and subscribe to vaatividya for it to make sense?
They are more straightforward, but aren't super story heavy. A lot of it is done in mission descriptions.

I only played the old ac games though

Didn't realise we had gameplay. Going to watch it and see if it's for me. I'm not expecting Souls like gameplay but I've never played AC before. I'll probably buy it just because it's From Software but I'm interested to see gameplay.

Hudo

As a battletech guy, I mostly avoided mecha stuff because I always found the big, clunky mechs more appealing. But I have to admit that Armored Core 6 looks like a fun time so I'm gonna try it (especially after MechWarrior 5 turned out to be mid as fuck...)

Watched the video and yeah this looks like a load of fun! Seems like it'll be close to Bloodborne/Sekiro in terms of combat. Never been into mechs but I can't wait to build my own one!

Watching the video made me go from "I'll pick it up just because it's From Software" to "Alright, I'm hyped as fuck for this I need it now" but it's 2 months away :messenger_crying:

hyperbertha

I'd rather play the old Armored Core games with real Armored Core gameplay. Maneuvering your mech (with all its difficulties) and having no direct lock-on system has always been one of the most fun aspects (apart of the customization) of the Armored Core games to me. To me, it's a key factor in immersing yourself into the world of japanese mecha action and design.

FROM is clearly catering to the Souls crowed here, and there will be a lot of people quite happy with what they've been seeing. Still, AC6 is probably gonna be yet another example of what I hate the most about today's modern gaming industry: gaming's homogenization both visually and gameplay-wise. IP's are simply losing their identity. Visual and gameplay variety has been declining. Everything fucking looks and plays the same, which ultimately leads to boredom.

Even the dude in the video started right off with saying something along the lines of "yes, it looks a bit like Amored Core, it looks a bit like Souls gameplay, and there is something similar to Sekiro in here as well" - and that's exactly what pisses me off to hard: back in the day, if you saw an Armored Core game it didn't look like anything else, it just looked and felt like Armored Core (and there were many other games that felt like their own thing, too - I'd even say way more than today).
The older armored core gameplay needs to be evolved if it is to hold up today. I agree with you about the homogenisation, but some gameplay types are just too outdated to be brought back. Most likely from couldn't find a way to bring that game to the modern era faithfully.

Spaceman292

Banned
The older armored core gameplay needs to be evolved if it is to hold up today. I agree with you about the homogenisation, but some gameplay types are just too outdated to be brought back. Most likely from couldn't find a way to bring that game to the modern era faithfully.
True. Any game that requires THE CLAW to play efficiently doesn't belong in this day and age.

Hudo

Hmm. After having looked at the gameplay and having thought about what I've seen, maybe the game won't be for me after all because I suspect that it won't be "MechWarrior" enough for me; it's too fast for that but then again not fast enough not completely change the mindset (for me) so that I can take it as its own thing more easily.

But I am happy for everyone who's excited! I know that you guys have been waiting for quite some time for a new AC game.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
First AC I'll be getting after play the immensely good first title on the old ps. I'm that confident even not being my priority genre! Videos are too hype. Also once more, like in FFXVI, I love how they always put focus where it counts: smooth ass action gameplay while graphics take a step back but art direction make up for it. Faster development time and no wasted resources.

Buggy Loop

They’re stretching a tad too much the same gameplay tidbits just a month and a half before launch. Cmon

I do not give a shit about influencers reaction on video

Man, I'm excited as an old AC fan but they could finally release a demo for the same old footage we already have seen a number of times or show something new. I'll probably buy it later this year but more footage could make me change my mind for a day-1 release. Is it much to ask for new footage?

People seemed really upset about that quick midair 180. I personally did not like the slow turns but understand people's concern.

This is my most anticipated game of 2023

Top Bottom