• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

new best and worst is up http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/08/the-best-and-worst-of-wwe-raw-82712/1

Ryback_Swagger_Clothesline.gif

Seriously, if you don't have a handheld or you don't have a game you like on your phone, I would recommend you fix that. RAW is much more enjoyable when you have a distraction.

I don't think I could tolerate watching RAW directly from beginning to end; I use it as background noise while I do my homework, only turning to face the TV if I hear a lead-in to something that might be interesting. I also have cues for completely zoning out or just muting the television, like Cena's voice, Cole's buzzwords, etc.

Oddly enough, even while skipping huge chunks of the show, the recaps don't do me any good. The manner in which the show builds up over the course of a episode lately is so slow and predictable that I can guess whatever caused the current match or promo just by looking at the participants involved.

The only wrestling figure I ever had was this.

JakeTheSnakeRoberts.JPG

Man they have gotten so much better. And even then, I don't have one single Triple H figure!

edit: lies I do have this..

dm-savage.jpg

Savage's costumes were just so cool. I don't even know what most of the clothing is, to be honest, but I consider it to be one of the most iconic looks ever featured in the business. I would totally buy a Macho Man action figure that looked like that one.

I think that means Scorpio Sky is the only wrestler to have made multiple appearances on both WWE and TNA this year. (Christian and Flair having only made one crossover a piece)

I'm wondering if Scopio Sky still the NWA TV title Champ...

Always start small with either the US or IC title....Then win Rumbleor MitB to get the big prize

jmdajr

Surprised it took this long. Not sure what was up with all that last night.
But hey. It's all good!

heh. Sin Cara. Would have been incredibly shameful if he could not dance.
I'm already ashamed at myself for not having any decent moves.
<-sad Mexican't

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A few more random thoughts on the Macho Man set:

HBK vs Macho was awesome as fuck. What's really weird was Sherri kicking Randy and Gorilla outright begging for Randy to "punch her in the mouth". And he didn't. But then Macho spat at her and Gorilla was happy about it. Can you imagine a face commentator begging for the face to punch a woman in the face? And then be happy he spat at her, but still bummed she didn't get decked? There is an awful lot of male on female violence on this set. Gorilla explicitly says Randy slapped the shit out of Liz all over the dressing room at WM5, he came close a lot to hitting her at ringside during his first heel run, he tried to take some shots at Sapphire (who is undefeated at WM, mind you. Sapphire vs The Undertaker, Streak vs Streak), just about every major match while he was King had he and Sherri being rammed or Sherri getting shoved. And this was in an era that was geared more towards kids than at any point.

Mega Maniacs vs Mega Bucks with Jesse Ventura as ref might be the pinnacle of that era. They had THE BEST MEGA HANDSHAKE ever after Liz pulls her skirt off that is the most 80s teen movie just pulled an awesome prank ever. It's tremendous. I wish someone gif'd it.

Macho vs Hogan at SNME had such a weird ending. This was the one with Buster Douglas as enforcer after he beat Tyson. So they do their normal Savage vs Hogan match, but the finish has Hebner down and out, Hulk hits the leg drop, Buster starts counting before Hulk even makes a cover, fast counts him, and Savage immediately gets up after 3 and completely no sells it. He was up the second the bell rang and arguing. So strange for someone to bounce right up after the leg drop like that. But Macho's taunting of Buster was hilarious. Then Hogan, being the great face he was, shoves Randy into Buster's punch. The first one I can't tell if it whiffed or hit him right in the face, so Buster did another punch that looked like it tore Randy's face off. Much better than the Tyson/HBK show down years later.

I like your writeups a lot, I hope you keep doing them. Just wanted to make sure you knew how I felt.

There really is a WILD shift since Macho Man and Elizabeth to how society is right now. Like you mentioned, Gorilla Monsoon advocating a slap in the mouth - and then I went and watched some of Savage's late WCW days where he threw around women. My, how times have changed.

Do you really want an invasion angle?

No...no I do not. I don't want to get dirty with MMA-gaf even though I enjoy MMA.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously guys, enough with the gifs. They're about as pointless as a Brodus Clay match.

Right Click -> Block Element -> ADD.

So you're saying you use AdBlock?

Jaekwon will hear about this

jmdajr

There really is a WILD shift since Macho Man and Elizabeth to how society is right now. Like you mentioned, Gorilla Monsoon advocating a slap in the mouth - and then I went and watched some of Savage's late WCW days where he threw around women. My, how times have changed.

I remember Roddy Piper threatening Sheri on more than one occasion.

strobogo

Banned
I like your writeups a lot, I hope you keep doing them. Just wanted to make sure you knew how I felt.

No...no I do not. I don't want to get dirty with MMA-gaf even though I enjoy MMA.

He wanted a full on punch, not just a slap. And if anyone deserved a punch in the face at that time, it was Sherri. But still, it's so weird. I'm positive JR had more than a few of those moments from 1998-2003ish as well. But when you compare that stuff to the last two big male on female violence scenes (Jericho accidentally punching HBK's wife, Big Show being reckless and steam rolling AJ), it's a really interesting change. In Jericho's case, he was the heel and even he was like "oh fuck, did I really just do that?) as compared to Hogan (the top face god) slamming and throwing atomic drops on Sherri like it was nothing. Compare the crowd reactions to Hogan tossing Sherri around and Bubba Ray powerbombing Mae Young off a stage through tables to the silent shock of the Jericho and Big Show angles. Not even factoring in the absurd lengths ECW went with their man on woman violence. They get their own category, I think. And any mid-to-late 80s Crockett NWA shows were sure to have one of the face commentators (almost always David Crockett) insist the faces beat the fuck out of whatever heel female manager/valet was interfering in the match. Remember the time Austin gave Stacy Kiebler a stunner for not drinking a beer with him? Shortly after he was charged with slapping Debra around? And the crowd was 100% on his side? Or when he stunned Linda that one time, just for fun?

There was a point for the Dudleys, in both ECW and WWE, that crowds were booing them if they WEREN'T putting women through tables. That was their whole gimmick for a while. As heels, but the fans loved it. I wonder what the reaction would be in today's WWE Universe if a heel intentionally punched a Diva in the face. The last time I can remember a male purposely harming a woman and actually getting a heel reaction out of it was Kane giving Linda a tombstone on the stage. And that was, what, almost 10 years ago?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He wanted a full on punch, not just a slap. And if anyone deserved a punch in the face at that time, it was Sherri. But still, it's so weird. I'm positive JR had more than a few of those moments from 1998-2003ish as well. But when you compare that stuff to the last two big male on female violence scenes (Jericho accidentally punching HBK's wife, Big Show being reckless and steam rolling AJ), it's a really interesting change. In Jericho's case, he was the heel and even he was like "oh fuck, did I really just do that?) as compared to Hogan (the top face god) slamming and throwing atomic drops on Sherri like it was nothing. Compare the crowd reactions to Hogan tossing Sherri around and Bubba Ray powerbombing Mae Young off a stage through tables to the silent shock of the Jericho and Big Show angles. Not even factoring in the absurd lengths ECW went with their man on woman violence. They get their own category, I think. And any mid-to-late 80s Crockett NWA shows were sure to have one of the face commentators (almost always David Crockett) insist the faces beat the fuck out of whatever heel female manager/valet was interfering in the match. Remember the time Austin gave Stacy Kiebler a stunner for not drinking a beer with him? Shortly after he was charged with slapping Debra around? And the crowd was 100% on his side? Or when he stunned Linda that one time, just for fun?

There was a point for the Dudleys, in both ECW and WWE, that crowds were booing them if they WEREN'T putting women through tables. That was their whole gimmick for a while. As heels, but the fans loved it. I wonder what the reaction would be in today's WWE Universe if a heel intentionally punched a Diva in the face. The last time I can remember a male purposely harming a woman and actually getting a heel reaction out of it was Kane giving Linda a tombstone on the stage. And that was, what, almost 10 years ago?

I think we've come a long way in a VERY short amount of time to see things how we do. Personally, I think a part of it sucks - the part that Vince says "no male on female violence, PERIOD" now. I liked the horrible, horrible Good Housekeeping match with Chyna and Jarrett. I think women are as capable as men and I want to see women kick men's asses and be looked at equally, instead of protecting them like they're dainty little things.

My roommate is a female wrestler and it neuters (I guess spays?) her that she sees no upward movement, reason being she prefers to wrestle men. That's fine if you're content with going as far as Sara Del Rey has so far - wrestling men has been awesome for her. But knowing you simply can NOT be put in a main event feud with the biggest company in the world...That really puts a damper on what she can do and what kind of longevity there is in THIS BUSINESS for a real ass-kicker who has no interest in being a "Diva".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, no. I couldn't actually find any great mini matches for the most part.

That's alright. The best minis are always mixed with grown ass men or women. They bump like CRAZY.

Aiii

So not worth it
Best: Wait, Is … Is KANE Carrying This Show?

Speaking of not doing the same thing all the time, I cannot believe I’m typing about how KANE WAS ONE OF THE BEST PARTS OF THIS SHOW. It wasn’t even his epic retelling of his WWE history, either, which was one of the best pieces of writing I’d say they’ve ever done. Even watching him sit at the announcers table (because that’s where he’s supposed to be, because wrestling) with Michael Cole cowering over in the corner trying not to get chokeslammed to Hell was great. He gets into the ring and you expect him to just emasculate Ryder again, but he doesn’t AND CHOKESLAMS THE BAD GUY INSTEAD, because anger management is WORKING and they’re ACTUALLY HAVING THINGS THE WRESTLERS DO AFFECT HOW THEY THINK AND FEEL ABOUT WRESTLING.

Holy SHIT that’s fantastic.

Kane has super secretly been one of this year’s MsVP, in the ring and outside of it. He absolutely gets it, and he’s gone from one of my least favorite wrestlers of all time to one of the best reasons to watch the show. Maybe it’s Destiny’s unrepentant love of him getting through to me, but whatever.

Read more: http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/08/the-best-and-worst-of-wwe-raw-82712/5#ixzz24sXjPxlK

I could've written that. Provided you'd replace Destiny with Soulplaya.

I think women are as capable as men and I want to see women kick men's asses and be looked at equally, instead of protecting them like they're dainty little things.
They aren't physically equal, and to deny that is to deny male privilege and women's need for rights and protection. It also denies the root of the spectacle and entertainment value of seeing a woman beat the shit out of a man. Keep in mind that I'm not denying a woman's ability to be just as good of a wrestler and a draw as a man. They can be far better wrestlers and entertainers when they aren't being held back by dumb oppression.

However, I could see Phoenix or Kharma doing intergender matches and being believable. The problem is that few of the men would take that credibility hit by losing to them. That's the male oppression that is ignored as a serious problem when you try to see this with an egalitarian viewpoint rather than realistic one.

Kaladin

EXCITED. Hoping for some Pequeno Halloween!

Would you settle for some Frightmare?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd81BE9lNI0

They aren't physically equal, and to deny that is to deny male privilege and women's need for rights and protection. It also denies the root of the spectacle and entertainment value of seeing a woman beat the shit out of a man. Keep in mind that I'm not denying a woman's ability to be just as good of a wrestler and a draw as a man. They can be far better wrestlers and entertainers when they aren't being held back by dumb oppression.

However, I could see Phoenix or Kharma doing intergender matches and being believable. The problem is that few of the men would take that credibility hit by losing to them. That's the male oppression that is ignored as a serious problem when you try to see this with an egalitarian viewpoint rather than realistic one.

You clearly need to watch some of Sara Del Rey's Chikara run from 2011 - 2012.

strobogo

Banned
Except most of the Chikara roster are not only small for pro wrestling, they are small in general life. SDR is not the average Diva. I think he meant more along the lines of a Trish or Kelly Kelly beating up guys the size of Cena or Batista.

tm24

Fun fact : octagoncito is so much better than octagon.

I really think octagon is the most overrated luchadore ever.

RBH

Raw rating:

Hour 1: 4.16 million
Hour 2: 4.786 million
Hour 3: 4.499 million

Average 4.48 million

The rating should fall between a 3.0 and 3.2.

Kaladin

Except most of the Chikara roster are not only small for pro wrestling, they are small in general life. SDR is not the average Diva. I think he meant more along the lines of a Trish or Kelly Kelly beating up guys the size of Cena or Batista.

I wish I could find more of it, but this video features a clip from Sara Del Rey vs Claudio Castagnoli also currently Antonio Cesario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9u1RFxm5n4&t=1m6s

...Did Bryan start taking HHH's roids?
We are not dirty. We play dirty.

Brian has clearly been on a bulk since like December. He's gotten huge and fatter but mostly huge.

D.Bry has been a big guy the past year or so. I really want to have a physique similar to him. Just a big, strong dood.

danielbryan3_photo.jpg
whc_daniel_bryan_by_windows8osx-d4jmgpp.jpg

Yeah but his chest looks swole.

He is wearing a shirt that is tight on him so he looks bigger as well.

Fun fact : octagoncito is so much better than octagon.

I really think octagon is the most overrated luchadore ever.

Eh, it kinda comes with the territory - Octagon's become one of the guys you namedrop when you want to seem like you're in the know about lucha libre. And this is coming from a guy that knows nothing about lucha libre outside of what's posted in this thread.

D-Bry has been pretty huge for the last year. He's bulked a little bit more recently, but the manly fucking beard is throwing you off and making you think he's bulked more than he has.

Top Bottom