• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 leaked, Oct 18, Harlem Hellfighter DLC

What are you most excited to hear about today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoday

Just saw that Premium for BF4 and BFH are both part of the EA Access vault now. That is an awesome bonus leading up to the BF5 premier.

Coffinhal

TrzWZZx.png

Thanks. So late in the day.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Spend countless hours in gaming cafes running around and pressing the eject button on other's keyboard and pulling their chair back so they cannot reach in on time to press the parachute button.
How many wedgies did you get because of it? xD

~Tomorrow a DICE employee rips off the sheet covering a monitor at the reveal~

"It's modern day Austin!...It was modern day all along!"

Orcus

Competently no, quickly yes. Battlefront should have been more then it was given the hype.

I beg to differ on BF4 was not their best work. Modern Warfare 1 & 2 is still kicking it's ass from great heights.
Battlefront was relatively bug free at launch, and has had several new game mode, map, card, and weapon additions since launch. It's a solid, fun game, with some cool unique gameplay. It has half of the free and season pass content still in front of it as well.

BF4, which I think I'll consider my favorite game between the two when they are both mature, was a buggy piece of shit the first couple of months after release and was almost unplayable. It had some fairly significant gameplay impacting bugs still persisting well into half a year after release. Right now it's an amazing game, but most of the game balancing patches that make it great didn't come until DICE handed it off to DICE LA, which was well after it's release.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
TrzWZZx.png

Thanks. So late in the day.

If this next battlefield is like 1942/43 they are going to make me very very happy.It's time to go back in time we have a lot of games in the future and i'm tired.But what happen with the pilots helicopters like me? :(

I need helicopters or something like that in a battlefield game.

Coffinhal

If it's like them also in that there are set classes with no unlocks it would make me even happier.

I hope they do like Battlefront and don't implement micro transactions, the grinding curve is enough bad it is.

Just keep it simple, like Battlefront, but with the depth of a true Battlefield game.

antitrop

Can't believe the setting hasn't leaked, yet.

Someone will probably accidentally set a Private YouTube video to Public an hour before the reveal, like always happens with these things.

Lakitu

st5fu
Can't believe the setting hasn't leaked, yet.

Someone will probably accidentally set a Private YouTube video to Public an hour before the reveal, like always happens with these things.

Neogaf has already guessed it, problem is, we don't know who's right. Just the equivalent of throwing shit against the wall and seeing if it sticks.

etta

my hard graphic balls
IT'S BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it's a new Bad Company set in the near future that parodies the recent Call of Duty direction. Home made jet packs, exoskeletons made out of pencils taped together, and some laser rifles that are actually just paint guns with a ghetto speaker attached to them mimicking the sound of energy beams.

I'm hoping it's alt history. Seeing the reaction of people hoping for a WW1 game when a giant steam punk robot come out of nowhere would probably be hilarious

"Are you a fan of bf1942"

I am a fan of bf1942, but it's going to take a lot more than a ww2 skin on the modern battlefield formula to make me want to play a reboot.

For starters they need to design their maps properly for conquest again: put the flag points more than 30 seconds away from eachother, design the maps so that cutting off enemy spawns to the front line works as well as it did in that game + taking a base behind the front line allowing for pincer movements
Conquest in bf1942 was special in that there was an eb and flow, push and pull of the front line during the battles and that losing certain strategic points would have long lasting effects on the outcome of the battle and where people would be.
You could have a lasting impact as individual player or small group of players

The modern bf games have completely lost that and conquest isn't conquest anymore.

Then they also need to do away with the awful skinnerbox grind for unlocks and give classes more balanced loadouts again.

Then get rid of any form of lock on AA, allow planes to carry and drop bombs again , slow down planes so they aren't way too fast for the map sizes, remove that stupid map ceiling where the plane gets stuck in mid air.

edit: and almost forgot no more 3d spotting, how about they design the environments and enemies again so that you can actually see and identify their silhouettes.
3d spotting has always just been a bandaid to make up for a game design 101 failure, and shooting at orange triangles is not fun or interesting

They'd have to slow their game WAY the fuck down to be truthful to the bf1942 formula and I don't see them being able to resist turning it into bf3-4 with a ww2 skin to attempt to go for that mass market appeal...

And last but not least battlefield 1942 wouldn't have been loved nearly as much if it didn't have mod support, many bf1942 fans remember desert combat or the other mods as fondly as the vanilla game.

My money is on this being the doom type of reboot rather than an xcom type of reboot...

EDIT: HOW COULD I FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL!
WINGRIDING! It's not battlefield 1942 if I can't carry my entire team on the wings of my bomber and watch them all parachute over the capture points as I fly them over them.

I'm hoping it's alt history. Seeing the reaction of people hoping for a WW1 game when a giant steam punk robot come out of nowhere would probably be hilarious

Everybody wants something different. You want robots, someone else wants realistic with "prototype" weapons...alt history is completely broad and everyone has their own crazy vision of what that looks like.

This reveal is not going to go over well tomorrow. Too much hype and ambiguity. They better hope the graphics overshadow this time period stuff.

I just want to captain a ship again. Having everyone running around repairing with wrenches as you fire artillery at another ship was so much fun.

I guess at this stage ill take alternative history over near future sci fi.

Interested in seeing what this turns out to be and how weird they go.

scoobs

I gotta say that a new WW2 shooter on the scale of battlefield 4 is REALLY exciting to me. Even the campaign has me excited

Orcus

I guess that would be cool. I'm still hoping for one of the following, in order of preference.

BF 80's Coldwar turned hot
BF Vietnam
BF WW II
BF Modern WW III (NATO and allies vs Russia/China and allies)

I'm not to hot on the BF WW I concept, mainly because I feel like the vehicles would be a huge letdown in terms of mobility and general epic moments. That's a big part of what I think makes BF unique and fun to play.

Rockyrock

I'm not to hot on the BF WW I concept, mainly because I feel like the vehicles would be a huge letdown in terms of mobility and general epic moments. That's a big part of what I think makes BF unique and fun to play.

Exactly.

This right here is why I think a realistic WWI BF game wouldn't work.

GodofWine

What if you could pick your era in multiplayer, individually, and it reskinned EVERYTHING, and every era had a similar weapon progression, so you could be fighting in WWI, but a teammate right next to you would be in 2142.

Boom.

Coffinhal

I guess that would be cool. I'm still hoping for one of the following, in order of preference.

BF 80's Coldwar turned hot
BF Vietnam
BF WW II
BF Modern WW III (NATO and allies vs Russia/China and allies)

That's kind of BF4 no? War of 2020 and everything?

etta

my hard graphic balls
What if you could pick your era in multiplayer, individually, and it reskinned EVERYTHING, and every era had a similar weapon progression, so you could be fighting in WWI, but a teammate right next to you would be in 2142.

Boom.

Next gen when we have 64 GB HBM2.

NoPiece

They've done Vietnam twice already (Battlefield Vietnam, and Bad Company 2: Vietnam), and neither seemed to be super successful. Both were really fun though.

Exactly.

This right here is why I think a realistic WWI BF game wouldn't work.

The vehicles are totally unrealistic now, so there is no reason WWI vehicles would suddenly limit gameplay possibilities. If biplanes are too slow, then they'll just make them faster.

BestSpanishAmphibian-size_restricted.gif

http://i.imgur.com/bumTHhq.gifv

there is no realism argument to made around BF.. :p

etta

my hard graphic balls
You'd have to restart the game to change eras but you wouldn't know it. They'd pop up some dummy app while it restarts.

Run like 8 Crysises Battlefields in the RAM at once lmao.

"But can it run 8 Battlefields?!?"

Compsiox

Banned
An open world survival MMO where you go from being a caveman all the way up to super sci-fi evolution. No crafting for weaponry. Just unlocks. Large armies of AI spawn all throughout the world and you fight along side hundreds of other players in different evolutions. As you wander around the world you'd come across crafted player bases that match their era.

Battlefield: Generations

DaciaJC

Gold Member
"Are you a fan of bf1942"

I am a fan of bf1942, but it's going to take a lot more than a ww2 skin on the modern battlefield formula to make me want to play a reboot.

For starters they need to design their maps properly for conquest again: put the flag points more than 30 seconds away from eachother, design the maps so that cutting off enemy spawns to the front line works as well as it did in that game + taking a base behind the front line allowing for pincer movements
Conquest in bf1942 was special in that there was an eb and flow, push and pull of the front line during the battles and that losing certain strategic points would have long lasting effects on the outcome of the battle and where people would be.
You could have a lasting impact as individual player or small group of players

The modern bf games have completely lost that and conquest isn't conquest anymore.

Then they also need to do away with the awful skinnerbox grind for unlocks and give classes more balanced loadouts again.

Then get rid of any form of lock on AA, allow planes to carry and drop bombs again , slow down planes so they aren't way too fast for the map sizes, remove that stupid map ceiling where the plane gets stuck in mid air.

edit: and almost forgot no more 3d spotting, how about they design the environments and enemies again so that you can actually see and identify their silhouettes.
3d spotting has always just been a bandaid to make up for a game design 101 failure, and shooting at orange triangles is not fun or interesting

They'd have to slow their game WAY the fuck down to be truthful to the bf1942 formula and I don't see them being able to resist turning it into bf3-4 with a ww2 skin to attempt to go for that mass market appeal...

And last but not least battlefield 1942 wouldn't have been loved nearly as much if it didn't have mod support, many bf1942 fans remember desert combat or the other mods as fondly as the vanilla game.

Every word you speak is truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom