• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black-ish S2 |OT| Wednesdays 9:30/8:30c on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's a damned shame Deon Cole had to depart, but Wanda Sykes seems like she'll be a good addition, if she's sticking around longterm.

TripOpt55

Still watching. I don't find I have a whole lot to say about comedies week to week so don't post often about them. It has been good though I definitely have missed Charlie.

Dereck

The absence of Deon Cole is like a huge gash in this show. I really took his character for granted.

He went to Angie Tribeca, but he's not doing much for that show.

Enzom21

The absence of Deon Cole is like a huge gash in this show. I really took his character for granted.

He went to Angie Tribeca, but he's not doing much for that show.

Angie is better than I thought it would be plus it has Rashida and that is always a plus.
Deon's role seems a lot smaller on Angie compared to Blackish. I wonder why he left.

Kaizer

Banned
Tonight's episode had me in tears, gawd Dre drowning was hilarious and both relatable as a black guy who does still struggle with swimming myself.

Dereck

Wednesday nights are so packed with shows for me that this show ends up hitting the bottom of the watch list. Sometimes I have to remind myself.

Enzom21

Wednesday nights are so packed with shows for me that this show ends up hitting the bottom of the watch list. Sometimes I have to remind myself.

jenifer%2Blewis.gif

Blasphemy!

Dereck

looooooooool

The A.V. Club: Is there a question that you’re sick of answering?

DC: Why did I leave Black-ish?

AVC: And there’s a good answer for that—because of Angie Tribeca?

DC: Well the answer is 1) I didn’t leave Black-ish. 2) I had Tribeca before Black-ish, so it’s just me going back to what I was contracted to do.

AVC: And there’s certainly the opportunity for Charlie to come back on Black-ish, right?

DC: People will have to keep watching. [Laughs.] There’s going to be some surprises going on—we’ll see what happens.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm kind of conflicted on this episode, since it's both an important issue to bring up, but it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the show. They tried to make it "funny" by having Dre do his "no one listens to me" thing, but the serious moments - particularly the monologues - just felt like they were from a different show.

It would almost be like Brooklyn 99 doing an episode where Jake accidentally shoots a black man and suddenly it's 20 minutes of reflection about race.

That said, I understand why they felt the need to do this episode. It's essentially the only black TV show on network TV (at least until Carmichael comes back) so it would almost be negligent to not try to address this. It's just going to be weird when next week it goes back to it's usually rhythms and completely ignores this episode.

Dereck

I'm kind of conflicted on this episode, since it's both an important issue to bring up, but it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the show. They tried to make it "funny" by having Dre do his "no one listens to me" thing, but the serious moments - particularly the monologues - just felt like they were from a different show.

It would almost be like Brooklyn 99 doing an episode where Jake accidentally shoots a black man and suddenly it's 20 minutes of reflection about race.

That said, I understand why they felt the need to do this episode. It's essentially the only black TV show on network TV (at least until Carmichael comes back) so it would almost be negligent to not try to address this. It's just going to be weird when next week it goes back to it's usually rhythms and completely ignores this episode.
Right.

Many of the characters seemed to be "out of character" and there were brief moments where I felt uncomfortable watching. Not because of the subject matter, but because it felt like some actors were acting in a completely different space or different context. A lot of scenes felt kind of random and impetuous instead of natural. Black-ish really didn't have to do an episode like this, I think though that they just got it out of the way, on a count of them doing episodes centered around different aspects of black culture. Either Black-ish gets scrutinized for not addressing the elephant in the room or they try to do an episode on it and risk it being bad, which luckily it was not.

I think the difference between the way Fresh Prince tackled this and the way Black-ish tackled this, is that Fresh Prince usually isolated a few characters in a small scene for an extremely focused look at police brutality, instead of trying to involve the entire family in the discussion for 20 minutes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Best episode of the series. Not sure why it'd need to connect with next week's show..none of the others have. The tone was fine.
Maybe it's because The Carmichael Show had no expectations, since it was a series sent to die in the summer and no one cared, but they did a BLM episode and it felt a lot more in tone - they even joked about it because one of the characters stole a TV during a riot.

It'll be interesting to have the show come back... two black sitcoms airing at the same time is something that I don't think we've seen since... maybe the Bernie Mac show and Chris Rock's show?

Right.

Many of the characters seemed to be "out of character" and there were brief moments where I felt uncomfortable watching. Not because of the subject matter, but because it felt like some actors were acting in a completely different space or different context. A lot of scenes felt kind of random and impetuous instead of natural. Black-ish really didn't have to do an episode like this, I think though that they just got it out of the way, on a count of them doing episodes centered around different aspects of black culture. Either Black-ish gets scrutinized for not addressing the elephant in the room or they try to do an episode on it and risk it being bad, which luckily it was not.

I think the difference between the way Fresh Prince tackled this and the way Black-ish tackled this, is that Fresh Prince usually isolated a few characters in a small scene for an extremely focused look at police brutality, instead of trying to involve the entire family in the discussion for 20 minutes.
Yeah, I'm glad that the episode exists and I'm not sure if there could have been a way to address the issue without it also feeling out of place. Like they tried to make it a regular episode at times, like when they show Dre calling the police himself because he's a coward, but Junior was probably the only person who acted like he would have acted in any other episode - the nerd who gloms on to Coates and starts quoting him because it's the latest thing he's read.

It just has that "very special episode" feeling, and that's something we make fun of now in 2016.

Did Fresh Prince do an episode like this too? It's been so long since I've seen the show that I don't remember it...

Tizoc

Just now realized Dre's mother is Aunt Helen from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air XD

Currently at ep. 15 and I like how they're handling this episode.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Documentary setup was pretty fun. I liked how Bow and Dre's mom at least agreed about his failings... haha.

Junior being the ref though...so awesome. I think he may be my favorite of the show. He's just not afraid to be who he is: an enormous geek. Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom