• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Trump Doesn’t Have Recordings of Conversations With Comey, Source Says

Guys, Trump wasn't serious about it, he's still new to it and was only trying to outbluff Comey!

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) said he thinks President Trump was trying to "rattle" former FBI Director James Comey by suggesting there might be recordings of their conversations.

"I think he was, in his way, instinctively trying to rattle Comey," Gingrich told The Associated Press.

"He's not a professional politician. He doesn't come back and think about Nixon and Watergate. His instinct is: 'I'll outbluff you.' "

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Tuesday that Trump will make an announcement about the tapes soon.
"The president has said that he will make an announcement on this. I expect it this week," Spicer said at Tuesday’s news briefing.

Poor Spicey. :(

That place is a mess. I still cant believe they are still going with the old "he's new to this" act. Unbelieveable.

He's not a politician, he's a businessman. It's his instinct to act like a total asshole and humiliate himself and everyone associated with him in public for little to no reason.

If you want to blame someone, blame whoever decided CEOs in America should live in a zero-accountability environment where they get battened with fat stacks of cash for failure and can recklessly wield litigation as a response to anyone trying to call them out on their bullshit. It's just boardroom talk, guys.

iosefe

I can't believe they're just rolling g with witness intimidation due to trump not being a politician.

How do they see that as smart?

shiba5

Guys, Trump wasn't serious about it, he's still new to it and was only trying to outbluff Comey!

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) said he thinks President Trump was trying to "rattle" former FBI Director James Comey by suggesting there might be recordings of their conversations.

"I think he was, in his way, instinctively trying to rattle Comey," Gingrich told The Associated Press.

"He's not a professional politician. He doesn't come back and think about Nixon and Watergate. His instinct is: 'I'll outbluff you.' "

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Tuesday that Trump will make an announcement about the tapes soon.
"The president has said that he will make an announcement on this. I expect it this week," Spicer said at Tuesday’s news briefing.

Thanks Newt. That sounds like witness intimidation.

Fisty

I bet he does. Just doesn't want to provide the fool-proof evidence of obstruction himself.

So he's either lying about having the tapes or he lied by saying he does. Either way, the President of the United States lied directly to the American people, by his own admission.

This pathetic piece of shit just doesn't care about honesty in the slightest. He will lie and bluff and even if he has to retract, he'll do it without feeling anything. Simply doesn't matter to him. It's incredible.

So the President just admitted on Twitter he has no idea if recordings are being made in the White House. Sounds like they run a tight ship over there. Nobody knows that the fuck anybody is doing.

He could have just said: there are no tapes. But of course he had to make himself look even more incompetent by implying someone else could have tapes.

Temascos

Neo Member
Not surprised in the slightest, in fact I'm mostly surprised that he acknowledged that he has no tapes. Someone else had to write it, but it still looks collosally stupid.

His audience will lap it up either way, regardless of whether it is completely made up or has even a slight grain of truth.

You know what? Trump can do something incredibly efficient for his budget that at the same time satisfies his base. All he has to do is say "I BUILT THE WALL".

It doesn't matter if it was built or not, or if the timeframe makes no sense, all he needs to do is word salad and he'll win three terms in office. Laws and regulations? Sense of decency? Those don't matter in Trump's world.

subrock

I mean, that's precisely what he was doing, bullshitting to rattle his opponent. But, hopefully the Whitehouse knows this isn't acceptable. Mueller definitely does.

It's amazing how Republicans demanded Obama be the perfect President (when he could do no right in their eyes), and Clinton was obviously disqualified due to her "negligence" and "short-circuiting", but stick their "new to this" guy in there and he gets ALL THE SLACK IN THE WORLD. Truly amazing how that works.

bengraven

Not anymore.

Donald-Trump-Who-cares.gif

Little bit of me thinks he actually does and the tapes prove he is wrong. Thats why he isn't releasing them.

I'm imagining a situation where he called his lawyer, Pence, and Sessions in to a closed door meeting, grinning like a madman. "I've got 'im. Check. Mate."

"You've got who, Mr. President?"

"Comey. I've got tapes, Jeff. He fell right into my trap with that testimony."

Trump proceeds to play audio of his meeting with Comey.

"Umm... sir, the tape plays out verbatim the way he described in his memorandum?"

"Yeah, okay, so? I've got tapes, Mike! He doesn't have tapes, I have tapes!"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Come on guys, he's still new to this"

One of Trump's biggest promises is that he's going to run the country "like a business"
If you're a business owner, and you hire someone who turns out to be incompetent and never seems to learn after 5-6 months, you would fire them. The "he's new at this" excuse is only going to get weaker and weaker as time goes on. The GOP and surrogates are going to need a colonoscopy to find new excuses.

Mr Swine

Banned

One of Trump's biggest promises is that he's going to run the country "like a business"
If you're a business owner, and you hire someone who turns out to be incompetent and never seems to learn after 5-6 months, you would fire them. The "he's new at this" excuse is only going to get weaker and weaker as time goes on. The GOP and surrogates are going to need a colonoscopy to find new excuses.

They will parrot "He didn't know about that!" Whenever he does something stupid when they can't throw out "he is new to this!"

Ovid

This pathetic piece of shit just doesn't care about honesty in the slightest. He will lie and bluff and even if he has to retract, he'll do it without feeling anything. Simply doesn't matter to him. It's incredible.
I'm 1000% sure he was doing this as a businessman. He brought those same tactics into the WH.

Is "witness intimidation" really the right thing to go with here? I mean, taking the strategy at it's face, he was claiming he had tapes to force Comey to be honest in his testimony. So, like, is it really intimidation to tell a witness that he had better be honest?

Even if we believe Trump didn't really want Comey to be honest, and really was trying to bully Comey to be nice, and really was trying to make Comey look bad, in the end, the text we've got is "better be honest because if you're not, there might be tapes." I'm not a lawyer, so I'm really asking if you could call that "witness intimidation."

darscot

I love the he thinks like a business man, line of nonsense. It's so sad and pathetic, like this would work in an legit business. He thinks like a pathetic bully in the school yard. I'm sure they thought this would distract from the health care bill or he would have never tweeted about it.

He tried to bully and scare Comey like he did his employees and contractors.

I wonder if he thought he could withhold Comey's salary unless he drops it lol.

Boylamite

I bet he does. Just doesn't want to provide the fool-proof evidence of obstruction himself.

So he's either lying about having the tapes or he lied by saying he does. Either way, the President of the United States lied directly to the American people, by his own admission.
HE didn't record anyone and HE doesn't have tapes. That's what his carefully worded tweet said.

Lowmelody

Trump - Problem solved, I intimidated him by tweeting that I have recordings!

Bannon - But what if he has his own recordings?

Trump - How?

Bannon - With a microphone.

Trump - I would have noticed him holding a microphone, Steve.

Bannon - Sir, they have portable, tiny microphones.

Trumph - ...hah ahah I KNEW THAT.

Among CEO's, managers, or board members, Trump isn't even remotely the exception.

I have a huge beef with management theory, so if this seems hyperbolically vile, that's where that comes from. But Hollywood isn't the only place where you fail upwards. Hell, most CEO never even had to do a job interview or even ask for the damn job they have. They mostly just knew others, and that got them in.
And that's ignoring their average height, gender, and skin color. Also, whether they held political office before their sudden new gig as board member on a banking regulation committee. I'm not making that up, that actually happens.

The list of people who got in on actual competence and had to actually make significant decisions that tested their competence into success, is really, really small.

So the whole "let's run the government like a business" was always a "wtf are you doing" to me. But at least now that thesis is thoroughly defeated, so we can finally move on from that bullshit.

Brinbe

No shit. He was clearly bullshitting in the first place.

And it's funny that his lies is what led to Comey to leak those memorandums. He tried to scare the guy like a dumb mob boss and didn't figure the guy would keep detailed notes on everything!

Beartruck

The "He's new at this" excuse needs to be called out. You know who else is a businessman new to politics? Rex Tillerson, Trump's own secretary of State, and he's doing just fine, or at least he doesn't embarrass himself and the position weekly.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The "He's new at this" excuse needs to be called out. You know who else is a businessman new to politics? Rex Tillerson, Trump's own secretary of State, and he's doing just fine, or at least he doesn't embarrass himself and the position weekly.

It's almost like he's receiving some outside help...

gaugebozo

Is "witness intimidation" really the right thing to go with here? I mean, taking the strategy at it's face, he was claiming he had tapes to force Comey to be honest in his testimony. So, like, is it really intimidation to tell a witness that he had better be honest?

Even if we believe Trump didn't really want Comey to be honest, and really was trying to bully Comey to be nice, and really was trying to make Comey look bad, in the end, the text we've got is "better be honest because if you're not, there might be tapes." I'm not a lawyer, so I'm really asking if you could call that "witness intimidation."
Comey's recollection is all by memory, which even if you write things down afterwards is notoriously imperfect in investigations. He would he worried that an incorrect memory would ruin his reputation.

Ekai

I'm imagining a situation where he called his lawyer, Pence, and Sessions in to a closed door meeting, grinning like a madman. "I've got 'im. Check. Mate."

"You've got who, Mr. President?"

"Comey. I've got tapes, Jeff. He fell right into my trap with that testimony."

Drumpf proceeds to play audio of his meeting with Comey.

"Umm... sir, the tape plays out verbatim the way he described in his memorandum?"

"Yeah, okay, so? I've got tapes, Mike! He doesn't have tapes, I have tapes!"

I can see this playing out in my head exactly like this.

Top Bottom