• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Indicates Tweet on Tapes Was Meant to Affect Comey Testimony

_Ryo_

Isn't lying about something in the hopes that it will affect someones testimony obstruction of justice by itself?

I mean, its purpose is meant to alter the circumstances of inquires.

Earendil

I don't normally weigh in on these threads, but after Comey's testimony didn't Trump tweet that Comey lied? Now he's saying that his tapes tweet kept Comey honest? I'm confused, which is it?

Garlador

I don't normally weigh in on these threads, but after Comey's testimony didn't Trump tweet that Comey lied? Now he's saying that his tapes tweet kept Comey honest? I'm confused, which is it?
Trump is truly the Schroedinger's Cat of orange talking rectums.

I can help you here. What he said was that Comey was lying, and then claimed he (Trump) had tapes of their meetings, saying that the tapes would keep him honest, aka, that he could prove Comey was lying, which he wasn't.

Oh, and the tapes don't exist, turning his statement into witness intimidation.

GOP - "well the president is new to this"
Reasonable person - "well maybe he shouldn't be president then"
GOP - (hides in the bushes)

Obama is president:
GOP - Obama is the least qualified, least prepared person to ever be president!

Trump is president:
GOP - He's new at this guys, shucks, give him a chance

Surfinn

Yeah, but I imagine he's likely inherited all of the information from the FBI investigation and congressional hearings. Plus this whole thing seems to be moving at a very accelerated pace compared to Watergate. I think hearing about any charges by the end of summer might be a little premature but I'd be stunned if we don't hear anything by winter.

I would laugh if his paranoia about the whole thing is what brings about his downfall (obstruction, etc) and then it turns out he never actually colluded with Russia
But he's not even done hiring people. Folks in Washington seem to believe this is just the beginning. Mueller seems to be hiring people to uncover dirty financial ties and dealings. I think people expecting this thing to wrap up three months are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment.

There are lots of moving parts and scores if not hundreds of people involved

Sephzilla

But he's not even done hiring people. Folks in Washington seem to believe this is just the beginning. Mueller seems to be hiring people to uncover dirty financial ties and dealings. I think people expecting this thing to wrap up three months are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment.

He can continue growing his team while still investigating existing stuff.

Surfinn

He can continue growing his team while still investigating existing stuff.
I think my point though is that he seems to be investigating new things and digging much deeper into existing stuff. Maybe I'm wrong but I think this is gonna be a long and bumpy road.

I don't think it's quite as simple as just transferring information.

he was playing 12-dimensional chess, you guys

he wanted to make sure comey wouldn't lie during his testimony

he still claims comey lied during the testimony

so it worked perfectly

he is such a genius and seeing you liberals so butthurt about it is all worth it

Everything relating to Trump is an absurdity. A man that has built a reputation for his fairness and honesty needed to be deterred from being dishonest by an amoral, compulsive liar.

Chumley

Banned
Save it til Monday. No need to bury news in the weekend unless its just earth shattering.

No. Friday dumps are the best because Trump has unfettered access to Twitter on weekends and frequently says the most incriminating shit on Saturdays.

That's not as inherently contradictory as a lot of his BS. "I tried to keep him honest but he lied anyway" is all you need to get past this one.

he was playing 12-dimensional chess, you guys

he wanted to make sure comey wouldn't lie during his testimony

he still claims comey lied during the testimony

so it worked perfectly

he is such a genius and seeing you liberals so butthurt about it is all worth it

Except for the part where he didn't lie where he assured the public that Trump was never under investigation. That part wasn't a lie.

No. Friday dumps are the best because Trump has unfettered access to Twitter on weekends and frequently says the most incriminating shit on Saturdays.

Man, I hope it's a big one. He's been the best barometer we have, but even so he's missed a few times on whether the revelation would be major or not.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
More gas lighting bs. This guy is a manipulative liar and con man but if he gets called on it he plays the naive child, he always does. Human trash.

Do Better

I wonder how far Republican's can stretch that? If the Pee Pee tape is leaked will it work then?

"He doesn't know that this isn't the way things are done on planet earth, him being new and all."

"He doesn't know that this isn't the way things are done in the milky way galaxy, him being new and all."

Etc.

chekhonte

Literally witness intimidation.

I don't know if it you can consider that a tactic to "keep somebody honest" could be considered intimidation but I'm no lawyer.

EDIT: obama era ethics lawyer seems to think that it is. Can't say I'm sad about this.

I would laugh if his paranoia about the whole thing is what brings about his downfall (obstruction, etc) and then it turns out he never actually colluded with Russia

I almost feel like that's what will happen. While it would not surprise me one bit if Trump himself had colluded with Russia, I could also totally believe that he's just a clueless idiot surrounded by people who colluded but he's so fucking stupid he brought on his own downfall via completely unrelated matters due to his meddling.

WHOOPS

Binabik15

How could not be involved in collusion that started more than a year ago and made him president. Christ. Republicans are traitors to Western values we should all share.

Top Bottom