• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Indicates Tweet on Tapes Was Meant to Affect Comey Testimony

Sephzilla

200.gif

How many "tick tick tick" do we need until something actually happen to him though?
Mueller isn't going to blow his load every time something like this comes out. He is building a case and won't compromise that. One day, likely this summer, he'll announce criminal charges for Trump.

I know today people have tiny ass attention spans and expect instant results, and while this is moving at a relatively breakneck pace compared to Watergate, it is something that needs to be done slowly and correctly.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This couldn't be more blatant.

But GOP has to do their job.

Massive tax cuts for the wealthy people that they represent. Lives and country be damned.

He always does that when he foreshadows a story about Trump that he knows is about to come out. The magnitude of the stories vary, but he has done this with some fairly big ones.

His first tweet today suggests that this story will have a larger magnitude than the others...

RPGCrazied

Another huge story will drop Today or Monday. He is a friend of Comey's.

He always does that when he foreshadows a story about Trump that he knows is about to come out. The magnitude of the stories vary, but he has done this with some fairly big ones.

Probably a strongly sourced article dropping in NYT.

Can we get a story so bad it will make Republicans run for the hills?! What will it take? Pedophilia? Murder? So far nothing matters.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Can we get a story so bad it will make Republicans run for the hills?! What will it take? Pedophilia? Murder? So far nothing matters.

It all matters. It is not going to be a 1,2,3 thing. All of this is building a case up against the President of the United States.

The fact there still hasn't been any official talks about impeachment really boggles my mind.

Dems talk about it openly at least a few do.

Zolo

100% chance there has, behind closed doors. The public isn't going to hear about most of this until it's already in motion or done.

And the current federal government would push for Trump resigning before that.
Not that I expect them to do that either.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The fact there still hasn't been any official talks about impeachment really boggles my mind.

The Overton window on that topic is still in the shadow of the specter of the investigation, it starting to get raised but we are not there yet.

Comey called his bluff when he said, "Lordy, I hope there are tapes."

Comey knows that without tapes, Trump can't dispute anything in his memos.

And chances are if there were tapes, they'd probably show Trump actually incriminating himself and validating everything Comey said.

Tapes would almost assuredly would be used as physical evidence against Trump.

That's the best part of this entire charade. Like, what kind of witness intimidation tactic is "I have tapes" if the tapes are just going to corroborate what the other person is saying happened? Now Comey looks unimpeachable with regards to his version of events and Trump looks like an incompetent buffoon who doesn't even understand basic witness tampering. Pro-tip kids: if you want someone to corroborate your lie, don't threaten them with the release of information that does the exact opposite of that.

BasicMath

That still doesn't change the fact that "give him some slack he is new to this" is a really dumb way to try and shift blame from every stupid thing Trump says. The presidency shouldn't be a learn as you go kind of job, his stupid actions affects lifes and shouldn't be shrugged off with "well maybe he does better next time".
I believe that's actually how some presidents view the presidency. They learned and grew from and because of it.

I actually do think his inexperience is important to take into consideration in many cases. But yeah, if he did something illegal there's no excuse good enough for it. He should face the consequences. He shouldn't have fallen into the trap the Dems/Media/IC placed.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Sometimes the devil is in the details of these stories, gotta get it right even if it takes more time....but please god make it today

Thaedolus

Gold Member
He once told an underage girl once she becomes legal that she's going to marry him so there's that. Murder, perhaps.

Not only that, he'd go around the dressing rooms of naked underage girls to "inspect." The fact this was reported and people still voted for him disgusts me to no end

cameron

EARHARDT: So it was a smart way to make sure he stayed honest in those hearings?

TRUMP: Well, it wasn't — it wasn't very stupid, I can tell you that. He was — he did admit that what I said was right. And if you look further back, before he heard about that, I think maybe he wasn't admitting that.
I laughed. Fox & Friends interviewer is trying to help Donald out, but his jimmies are far too rustled by everyone calling his tweet stupid.

♫ It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday ♫

Plumbob

Mueller isn't going to blow his load every time something like this comes out. He is building a case and won't compromise that. One day, likely this summer, he'll announce criminal charges for Trump.

I know today people have tiny ass attention spans and expect instant results, and while this is moving at a relatively breakneck pace compared to Watergate, it is something that needs to be done slowly and correctly.

Not likely at all actually.

Surfinn

This summer?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The president has to be impeached before he can be criminally charged. I imagine resignation or the 25th amendment removal would happen before that.

Trump just admitted in the most contradictory way possible. In his unique word salad form. That Comey told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but. So help him God.

TICK TICK indeed.

jelly

The president has to be impeached before he can be criminally charged. I imagine resignation or the 25th amendment removal would happen before that.

He can get impeached for possible criminal charges and loads of other things, just needs to be enough push by the Republicans to make it happen.

I'm not sure if he can pardon himself before he leaves but as you say, a criminal charge can't be pinned on a President right? So if the pressure is enough to get him impeached, Mueller can take it further once he is a normal citizen. The next President can't pardon state charges which I think might be something they'll go for so he can't walk away.

CHC

It feels like Trump is proceeding through a mathematical proof by contradiction, creating case after case in which logical fallacies arise if Comey's statement is anything other than the truth.

FyreWulff

He can get impeached for possible criminal charges and loads of other things, just needs to be enough push by the Republicans to make it happen.

I'm not sure if he can pardon himself before he leaves but as you say, a criminal charge can't be pinned on a President right? So if the pressure is enough to get him impeached, Mueller can take it further once he is a normal citizen. The next President can't pardon state charges which I think might be something they'll go for so he can't walk away.

can't pardon leading-to-impeachment stuff. He'd have to actually get impeached, leave office, and have the next President pardon him.

And in theory politically, a sane person that knows they were done for with impeachment would resign like Nixon did. Nobody wants to be the first actually successfully removed President. But Trump would probably go until the bitter end.

It feels like Trump is proceeding through a mathematical proof by contradiction, creating case after case in which logical fallacies arise if Comey's statement is anything other than the truth.
It makes it worse. That trump has been know history by many, many people that he's a conman, who lies a lot and bluffs a lie. Even under oath.

Compared to Comey, who have been a goverment agent for nearly all of his life and outright lying doesn't fly in that orgnization.

can't pardon leading-to-impeachment stuff. He'd have to actually get impeached, leave office, and have the next President pardon him.

And in theory politically, a sane person that knows they were done for with impeachment would resign like Nixon did. Nobody wants to be the first actually successfully removed President. But Trump would probably go until the bitter end.
Someone mentioned in another thread that state offenses can't be pardoned, which means if Trump really is guilty of collision he can't resign and will have to fight impeachment tooth and nail as the presidency will be his only protection against charges.

This will be the ugliest chapter in American political history.

Top Bottom