• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Indicates Tweet on Tapes Was Meant to Affect Comey Testimony

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/...weet-was-meant-to-affect-comey-testimony.html

WASHINGTON — President Trump appeared to acknowledge on Friday in an interview that his tweet hinting of taped conversations with James B. Comey was intended to influence the fired F.B.I. director’s testimony before Congress, and he emphasized that he committed “no obstruction” of the inquiries into whether his campaign colluded with Russia.

The interview, with “Fox & Friends,” was shown one day after the president tweeted what most people in Washington had already come to believe: that he had not made recordings of his conversations with Mr. Comey.

Instead, the president explained in the television interview, his tweets were referring to the possibility that anyone could have taped those discussions.

“I’ve been reading about it for the last couple of months about the seriousness of the horribleness of the situation with surveillance all over the place,” the president said in the interview. “So you never know what’s out there, but I didn’t tape, and I don’t have any tape and I didn’t tape.”

When the Fox interviewer suggested that the possible existence of recordings might make sure Mr. Comey “stayed honest in those hearings,” Mr. Trump paused before responding, “Well, it wasn’t very stupid, I can tell you that.”

Servbot24

Banned
b4b1122e37d40d989ba5193b267e70dc.gif

Steel

Banned
The hilarious thing is Trump saying there could be tapes is what motivated Comey to leak the memos and thus bring in a special prosecutor.

Dude, come on.... How do people fall for his bullshit? He's freakin transparent!

Also, isn't trying to influence a testimony illegal?

RPGCrazied

Like it will do anything.

He said on national TV he fired Comey because and I quote "That Russian thing".

It should be over for him.

Lunar15

He always has to lead with an excuse, doesn't he?

"Really, this is all about the unfair surveillance and the leaks, but yes, to answer your question, I'm a huge fucking liar".

Lo-Volt

This bitch still thinks it's a game. This isn't a game, and it definitely isn't Trump's game if he thinks a trick like that would intimidate James Comey. The Trump presidency is like Act I of or a really bad mob movie, but we're getting to the part where the upstarts are shocked at what the big leagues actually looks like.

When will this fuck be impeached?

Depends on what Mueller finds, if the Republicans have the decency to do anything about it, and/or if Trump's approvals among Republicans drops significantly enough. Hell, if we won any of the special elections that probably would have pushed the chance of impeachment higher.

Additionally, lets keep in mind, impeachment does not necessarily mean he will be ousted. Nixon resigned before impeachment was brought against him. Clinton was impeached and still remained President (I think his approvals went up after impeachment) because Congress decided not to proceed to remove him. In this case, not only would we need an impeachment, we would also hope Congress moves to remove 45.

Comey called his bluff when he said, "Lordy, I hope there are tapes."

Comey knows that without tapes, Trump can't dispute anything in his memos.

And chances are if there were tapes, they'd probably show Trump actually incriminating himself and validating everything Comey said.

Tapes would almost assuredly would be used as physical evidence against Trump.

Majine

Banned
I fear this guy will keep tripping over coffee tables for the rest of his term, and nothing will be learned.

Lunar15

Comey: "Trump tried to intimidate me into loyalty"

White House: "Trump wouldn't try to intimidate Comey"

Trump: "Everything I did was to intimidate Comey"

Like it will do anything.

He said on national TV he fired Comey because and I quote "That Russian thing".

It should be over for him.
Being defeatist surely will help.

Mueller is building a case, obviously he isn't going to be talking about it. There is reason why 9/10 things we hear about are leaks. The day will come when it'll explode. It took years to bring down Nixon, we aren't going to get results overnight.

Zips

So with Mueller - would the investigation wait until they've finished with everything before deciding what charges to bring, or would they bring charges at different times as they complete collection of evidence in the different areas?

I imagine they would finish everything first. That's going to be such a painful wait with how wide the investigation is. 2018-2019 before charges get laid against Trump?

Lunar15

The funnier story behind this is that Trump probably thought there were tapes, only to discover that's not how any of this works.

Sephzilla

So with Mueller - would the investigation wait until they've finished with everything before deciding what charges to bring, or would they bring charges at different times as they complete collection of evidence in the different areas?

I imagine they would finish everything first. That's going to be such a painful wait with how wide the investigation is. 2018-2019 before charges get laid against Trump?

I suspect that they're going to unleash all of the charges on him at once, because if Mueller ultimately determines that Trump committed crimes and should face impeachment it would look worse and potentially sway some Republicans towards agreeing for impeachment if one giant bombshell of charges was dropped at once.

jelly

So now Trump will record everything?

Honestly, I think he does record all his meetings. He is a crook and loyalty can be bought when he has tapes of you making shady deals with him. In it together so play along. How he has lasted this long in business and fucked over so many but he is still walking.

RuGalz

He doesn't like responsibility so he just waits until after fact to say whatever he wants. Total orange turd coward.

Nikodemos

I suspect that they're going to unleash all of the charges on him at once, because if Mueller ultimately determines that Trump committed crimes and should face impeachment it would look worse and potentially sway some Republicans towards agreeing for impeachment if one giant bombshell of charges was dropped at once.
I suspect that much as well. Given how teflon-coated he is in the eyes of a sizable percentage of the (R) establishment, Mueller absolutely needs to drop a tactical-nuke-level bunch of hard evidence on his ass.

Top Bottom