• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•26-28•16 - Audiences Don't Breathe as Suicide Squad slips to second

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

XzfP01O.jpg
AIcnbrq.jpg
Pfh6y74.jpg
vZhFK1v.jpg
m88SCHF.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
87% Don't Breathe
eptv7.gif
26% Suicide Squad
kavuF.gif
96% Kubo and the Two Strings
8vteV.gif
81% Sausage Party
5f4ew.gif
24% Mechanic: Resurrection
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
93% Southside with You
-
-
aAS8X.gif
43% Hands of Stone

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Don’t Breathe’ Scares Up $26.1 Million As Hot Summer for Horror Continues

“Don’t Breathe,” a twisty story of a group of teenage delinquents who pick the wrong house to burglarize, dominated the late summer box office, debuting to a potent $26.1 million and topping charts. It joins a long list of recent horror films such as “The Purge: Election Year,” “The Conjuring 2,” “Lights Out,” and “The Shallows” that have all found success with audiences. It’s a genre that’s particularly attractive to studios, because these films don’t require much in the way of special effects or star power, making them cheaper to produce than comic book adventures and science-fiction fantasies.

“Don’t Breathe” was backed by Sony’s Screen Gems and Steve Bersch’s Stage 6 Films, and cost less than $10 million to produce. It more than doubled its production budget in a single weekend, after rolling out across 3,051 locations. The film follows a gang of thieves who find out that the blind man whose house they’ve targeted isn’t as helpless as he appears. Instead of making off with loot, they are pitted in a deadly cat-and-mouse game.

Sony screened the film at SXSW and Comic-Con in order to build buzz. It also relied heavily on digital platforms to drive enthusiasm for the picture, debuting spots on Snapchat, crafting animated gifs for Twitter and Facebook, and launching interactive mobile apps.

“This film is going to be a big moneymaker for us,” said Rory Bruer, Sony’s distribution chief. “We knew we had something special here. This is a film that’s all about keeping people jumping out of their seats and holding on to the person next to them.”

“Don’t Breathe” displaced “Suicide Squad” from its perch atop charts. After finishing in first for three consecutive weekends, the super villain mash-up had to settle for second place this weekend with about $12.1 million at 3,582 locations. The Warner Bros. release has earned $282.9 million.

Among new releases, Lionsgate bowed “Mechanic: Resurrection,” a follow-up to the 2011 cult hit “The Mechanic,” in 2,258 locations, where it earned $7.5 million. That’s less than the first “Mechanic’s” $11.4 million domestic debut. The sequel centers on an assassin (Jason Statham) who is lured out of retirement for a series of hits. It co-stars Tommy Lee Jones, Michelle Yeoh, and Jessica Alba.

Fans of the 44th president got a tour down memory lane with “Southside with You” from Roadside Attractions and Miramax. The romantic drama looks at Barack and Michelle Obama’s first date, debuting to $3.1 million from 813 sites. The Weinstein Company countered with the boxing drama “Hands of Stone,” a biopic about Panamanian fighter Roberto Duran, that opened to $1.7 million at 810 locations.

In third place, Focus Features’ “Kubo and the Two Strings” added $7.8 million to its $24.8 million domestic haul. Sony’s “Sausage Party” nabbed fourth position, picking up roughly $7.7 million to bring its total to just under $80 million. Rounding out the top five, Disney’s “Pete’s Dragon” snagged $7.3 million driving its stateside gross to $76.2 million.

In limited release, Sony Pictures Classics bowed “The Hollars,” a family dramedy that marks “The Office” star John Krasinski’s feature film directorial debut, on four screens where it made $46,068, for a per-theater average of $11,517.

Paramount’ and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s “Ben-Hur” solidified its status as one of the year’s biggest bombs. The biblical epic dropped 60% to $4.5 million, bringing its total to $19.6 million. Rival studios estimate that the film could lose $100 million, while sources close to the film peg that figure as closer to $75 million.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Epcott

Ahhhh yesss... Kubo moved up. I hope it has legs to make it a slow burning success. *crosses fingers*

lol Ben-gone

Maledict

So we can officially declare Squad a box office success right

I thought the opposite. It's going to struggle to hit 300m stateside, and won't hit the 800m it needed worldwide to make an actual profit according to the various rumours and articles released beforehand. Like every DC movie, it's not a bomb but it fails to live up to the potential and sends audiences away with a bad taste in the mouth.

So we can officially declare Squad a box office success right

Yes. And that makes for an interesting conundrum. BvS and SS were crap (I haven't watched the latter, just going by IRL word of mouth and RT). Both movies were in the top 10 BO for the year and presumably made money. The marketing for SS was fantastic. I'm not sure WB execs will feel the need to change anything they are doing to be honest. At the end of the day, it's all about money, and so far it seems to be working out for them.

Ridley327

Paramount’ and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s “Ben-Hur” solidified its status as one of the year’s biggest bombs. The biblical epic dropped 60% to $4.5 million, bringing its total to $19.6 million. Rival studios estimate that the film could lose $100 million, while sources close to the film peg that figure as closer to $75 million.

I love the idea that Paramount would try make a $75 million loss sound good.

"It could have been worse!"

wachie

HhzJrWW.jpg

iD0uW9l.jpg

Are you not entertained amazed?

I thought the opposite. It's going to struggle to hit 300m stateside, and won't hit the 800m it needed worldwide to make an actual profit according to the various rumours and articles released beforehand. Like every DC movie, it's not a bomb but it fails to live up to the potential and sends audiences away with a bad taste in the mouth.
I thought that imaginary figure was now 1B? Sorry I didnt keep track.

ezekial45

Banned
Yes. And that makes for an interesting conundrum. BvS and SS were crap (I haven't watched the latter, just going by IRL word of mouth and RT). Both movies were in the top 10 BO for the year and presumably made money. The marketing for SS was fantastic. I'm not sure WB execs will feel the need to change anything they are doing to be honest. At the end of the day, it's all about money, and so far it seems to be working out for them.

They've already made changes to ensure the quality of their films are better by changing the management. Obviously it's about money, but they want to ensure the future of the brand is secure. They can't do that with movies like BvS and SS, which should have made far more money than it did.

How would a movie like that need 800m to make a profit? That seems crazy to me, even when factoring in advertising, it seems it wouldn't require even half of that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Yeah but those rumours were almost always based on highly flawed thinking (blockbuster movies don't solely generate profit through cinema release, there's dvd, tv, straming and all manners of merchandising) this films theatrical run isn't even done and even according to some of those rumours this is a win. You have be high extremely harsh parameters to not consider this movie a sucess, not as great a success as it could have been but a sucess none the less. This didn't even release in China, so all it did a pretty decent job.

RBH

Link?

Anth0ny

HhzJrWW.jpg

iD0uW9l.jpg

Are you not entertained amazed?

I thought that imaginary figure was now 1B? Sorry I didnt keep track.

I'm amazed!!!!

It's going to beat Superman.

A fucking movie about Harley Quinn featuring a cameo from Joker is going to beat Superman at the box office.

That's crazy to me and I didn't think it would happen! Especially with the garbage reviews, I was expecting super shitty legs and it's held in there. Good on em.

kswiston

How would a movie like that need 800m to make a profit? That seems crazy to me, even when factoring in advertising, it seems it wouldn't require even half of that.

It is crazy. Suicide Squad did as well as anyone could have expected.

I didnt think that Suicide Squad would hit $700M after that first week, but drops have been good. I think it will settle in the $700-725M range with no China. Higher than the no China worldwide Gross of all the recent comic films outside Marvel's billion dollar stuff, BvS, Deadpool and TDKR.

Matt

Neither BvS or SS will really have made money in theaters. They aren't bombs, and the projects will produce a profit when all the ancillary incomes are factored in, but they are by no means successes.

They've already made changes to ensure the quality of their films are better by changing the management. Obviously it's about money, but they want to ensure the future of the brand is secure. They can't do that with movies like BvS and SS, which should have made far more money than it did.

What have they changed? I genuinely don't know what has been done. Of course we all want better quality movies and we'll see what next year brings us. WW trailer looked good, Justice League not so much (and I will never get used to Affleck as Bruce Wayne). So far, though, I don't think execs are sweating too much.

I'm not sure I agree SS should have made a lot more money than it did. As a non comic fan I only knew Harley Quinn (barely, mainly due to the Arkham games) and Joker, everybody else was as known as pre-GoTG Groot to me. I think its performance is within expectations given the amazing marketing job it received. I know a fair amount of people who went to see it because of Will Smith. BvS should have indeed crossed a billion, but I think that movie still made money, not counting home release and merchandise sales.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Hardly. It's not going to be a money loser but if you think WB is happy with losing out on 300-400 million due to SS being a bad movie then......

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Are you being serious? I CAN'T TELL ANYMORE!

Suicide Squad is going to end up at 700M+ which is where the most optimistic people thought it was headed if it reviewed well.

obin_gam

I swear the % for breaking even and gaining a profit is getting higher and higher. GAFs industry insiders are amazing :p

sirap

Heh, bet you it won't even reach 250m.

Wait, I meant 300m.

They need to make 800m WW to breakeven.

Meh, it's not like they made WB a ton of money anyway.

DVDs? Blu-Ray? What's that?

Toys? What are you, 12?

Ahasverus

What have they changed? I genuinely don't know what has been done. Of course we all want better quality movies and we'll see what next year brings us. WW trailer looked good, Justice League not so much (and I will never get used to Affleck as Bruce Wayne). So far, though, I don't think execs are sweating too much.
They spun off DCfilms into an autonomous corporate branch, removed most producers and appointed the Chief Creative officer of DC comics as its boss, so yeah, those were some pretty big changes.

WB created DC Films as a separate studio under Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. Presumably they will be able to work more closely with the directors and improve communication with the overall org. Previously the DC movies were overseen directly by the head of WB Films Kevin Tsujihara and it wasn't working at all. Hopefully this model is an improvement.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/dc-films-batman-v-superman-geoff-johns-jon-berg-1201758630/

chronos86

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Are you being serious? I CAN'T TELL ANYMORE!

Suicide Squad is going to end up at 700M+ which is where the most optimistic people thought it was headed if it reviewed well.

I Think they just make stuff up now.let me try.

Well Acorrding box office variety Jo with the reshoots and marketing budget it triples what they need to make a profit to 3 billon. So really suicide squad is the biggest bomba in the history of film.

Matt

[citation needed]
What part?

A good general rule of thumb is to take a movies' budget and times it by two. That's how much it really cost a studio, marketing included.

Then you take the worldwide gross and cut it in half. That's an approximation of how much a studio gets back.

If you do these two things, both BvS and SS end up in the red.

Now again these are very rough tools, but for example if you use them the SS numbers end up being around what was reported as the break-even point.

Ahasverus

What part?
Now again these are very rough tools, but for example if you use them the SS numbers end up being around what was reported as the break-even point.
Again, [citation needed]. Your post is just a fancier version of tales from your ass.
Pretty sure the standard is somewhere between 2x and 3x budget (not including advertising) to make a profit.
Suicide Squad already passed 3x, incluiding advertisement budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom