• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BOMBA/rumour] XBone's new price cut for EU incoming? AmazonITA: X1+Kinect=€399

do yall think Sony will wait a month or two, to see if they should price-cut themselves? or Price cut right away.
Why would they cut price when they are millions of units ahead and customers are responding to the current value proposition of the console? MS is dropping price rapidly across all regions because they're not performing well, this has no bearing on Sony.

bananas

Banned
The problem of the Xbox One is not the Price...

iboxNZBe540I4k.gif

Goldmund

Its biggest problem probably is being a Microsoft product. It's silly, but maybe they should have given the product a different branding for Europe with no mention of its Microsoft provenance whatsoever.

The 360 did exceptionally well even in mainland Europe, yes, but a lot of people I know bought it reluctantly, with the tattered remains of their rationality prevailing for once as it seemed the better deal, as far as multiplayer and multiplats were concerned.

Its biggest problem probably is being a Microsoft product. It's silly, but maybe they should have given the product a different branding for Europe with no mention of its Microsoft provenance whatsoever.

The 360 did exceptionally well even in mainland Europe, yes, but a lot of people I know bought it reluctantly, with the tattered remains of their rationality prevailing for once as it seemed the better deal, as far as multiplayer and multiplats were concerned.

what? smh

btw, no price cut for any other amazon EU store

SenkiDala

I wouldn't be surprised. A few weeks ago, on Amazon.fr, the Xbox One + Kinect + Titanfall pack was avalaible for 389€. So make the X1+Kinect pack 399€? Why not. In fact they have to do it.

PCXB1FTW

Banned
It really doesn't lol. At least not to someone with a computer.

Nah, that's going too far. I'm a pc gamer. But mostly for out there stuff thats not available on consoles, like my oldschool grindy MMO loves EQ and Neocron. Also stuff like The Stanley Parable and decent space flight games.

But I enjoyed DR3, Titanfall, (though it was sorely lacking in content at launch, got it on console for the friends list) I'm a Die Hard Forza fan, looking forward to Horizons 2. If Horizons 2 is Horizons 1 with current gen goodness and an equally rocking soundtrack it'll be my GOTY. the MCC is going to be the new bar in remasters and the best value since the orange box. Quantum Break has me curious, I dug max payne and alan wake both, and since my wife likes to watch games like alan wake played, bam, couch time with the woman, xb1 wins even if there is a pc version. And one of these days, rare is gonna get off its ass and bring me my current gen Viva Pinta.

-MD-

SuperÑ;124666199 said:
You're so ignorant, 'lol'

You're so smart.

And? Friends list counts for a lot brother man. Its more fun when you play with friends and I'm not upset giving up a few frames or a few pixels here if it means fun gaming with my friends and convenient gaming/streaming/tv couch time with my wife, which is kinda not PC's forte.

Edit, and you're kinda missing the count chum. I named Forza, Horizons, MCC, DR3, Titanfall, Quantum Break, and (because its going to come, Viva pinata, or dont count it, who cares) that's 6 games and you come back with Titanfall and dr3 are on pc... LoL keep fighting the good fight pc warrior. You dont use a pc to play games that you can play with people on your couch, or with connected console friends, You use a pc for actual experiences that dont exist on console, like I mentioned, not mere pixels and framerates, lol.

Nice emotional edit, you guys are getting defensive for absolutely no reason. You're veering off into some random discussion about friends lists and girlfriends, I don't care what your platform preference is, all I'm saying is most of the games available on Xbox One are available on PC and thus it makes it a pretty undesirable console to PC players. I don't see PC guys (or a lot of people in general) rushing out to drop 500 bucks to play Killer Instinct and Forza. MCC, Sunset and QB aren't even released yet.

You can cry to me all you want but the fact is that this is an expensive ass plastic box and it has less than a handful of real exclusives, it's really hard to justify a purchase and they need to focus on getting some real games on their box that won't just be ported 6-12 months after release. A price drop is a step in the right direction but games are what this box really needs. Now, carry on with the thread.

Lol well you just come out of no where and it says it has "no games." without an explanation people tend to react that way. Comes off as trolling. That being said there plenty of exclusives coming down the line I would imagine.

Trolling wasn't my intention and I didn't "come out of nowhere", someone posted a sarcastic post with "no gaems!" which I honestly think is true so I replied. I agree though I should've elaborated a bit more with my initial reply, my bad. And yes as time goes on and exclusives build (real exclusives) and the price drops demand will rise, I'm personally hoping they do something meaningful with Conker after that E3 tease that absolutely broke my heart.

PCXB1FTW

Banned
The only games you listed that aren't on PC are Forza, MCC and Quantum Break.

One of which will probably end up on PC and one that isn't due out until next year.

And? Friends list counts for a lot brother man. Its more fun when you play with friends and I'm not upset giving up a few frames or a few pixels here if it means fun gaming with my friends and convenient gaming/streaming/tv couch time with my wife, which is kinda not PC's forte.

Edit, and you're kinda missing the count chum. I named Forza, Horizons, MCC, DR3, Titanfall, Quantum Break, and (because its going to come, Viva pinata, or dont count it, who cares) that's 6 games and you come back with Titanfall and dr3 are on pc... LoL keep fighting the good fight pc warrior. You dont use a pc to play games that you can play with people on your couch, or with connected console friends, You use a pc for actual experiences that dont exist on console, like I mentioned, not mere pixels and framerates, lol.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sony?? What about Nintendo? If the X1 drops to 350 Euros for the base model, that would put it quite close to the Wii U's Price.

Quite close?
WiiU is 299EUR with what currently is the biggest KA released on next-gen system, MK8.

100EUR difference is not that close, especially if the total price is just triple that.

El_Chino

You're so smart.

Nice emotional edit, you guys are getting defensive for absolutely no reason. You're veering off into some random discussion about friends lists and girlfriends, I don't care what your platform preference is, all I'm saying is most of the games available on Xbox One are available on PC and thus it makes it a pretty undesirable console to PC players. I don't see PC guys (or a lot of people in general) rushing out to drop 500 bucks to play Killer Instinct and Forza. MCC, Sunset and QB aren't even released yet.

You can cry to me all you want but the fact is that this is an expensive ass plastic box and it has less than a handful of real exclusives, it's really hard to justify a purchase and they need to focus on getting some real games on their box that won't just be ported 6-12 months after release. A price drop is a step in the right direction but games are what this box really needs. Now, carry on with the thread.

The only games you listed that aren't on PC are Forza, MCC and Quantum Break.

One of which will probably end up on PC and one that isn't due out until next year.

It really doesn't lol. At least not to someone with a computer.
Lol well you just come out of no where and it says it has "no games." without an explanation people tend to react that way. Comes off as trolling. That being said there plenty of exclusives coming down the line I would imagine.

On topic: glad to see European people are getting a price cut!

ZehDon

Gold Member
Actually, the price is exactly what's wrong with the Xbone. It's terrible value in comparison to the Playstation 4. Microsoft's problem is that the people who are interested in a new gaming console at this point in the generation, are also the people who are smart enough to understand that. And these people are the ones their friends ask when buying a console. In my opinion, Microsoft's best chance is dropping the price as low as they can stomach, and positioning the Xbone as the "cost-conscious alternative" to the PS4's "premium priced" solution. Anything else, and people are going to go with the PS4. And why wouldn't they - how many people are going to willingly pay more for less?

If they extend this to US, it should be $399 with Kinect. That's what they should have done in the first place. The only issue is, if they cut their regular price to 350 or 300, they risk pushing Sony, who have stated the PS4 was made with adaptability and quick price cuts in mind, into acting. If by doing this they move Sony into cutting the PS4 down to 350 or 300, it's going be a really bad time for MS. They need to be real careful there and I guess maybe just roll the dice, but I think that's exactly why it won't happen

Actually, the price is exactly what's wrong with the Xbone. It's terrible value in comparison to the Playstation 4. Microsoft's problem is that the people who are interested in a new gaming console at this point in the generation, are also the people who are smart enough to understand that. And these people are the ones their friends ask when buying a console. In my opinion, Microsoft's best chance is dropping the price as low as they can stomach, and positioning the Xbone as the "cost-conscious alternative" to the PS4's "premium priced" solution. Anything else, and people are going to go with the PS4. And why wouldn't they - how many people are going to willingly pay more for less?

Price isn't the only issue. The X1 has a bad image problem and bad PR in general. It's seen as weak, as the "uncool" console of this gen (think PS3). I'd wager a 350 X1 would still struggle against a 399 PS4 simply because the PS4 is this gen's "it" console to have.

And to people outside the US/UK, there is almost zero reason to pick the X1 over a PS4 unless you absolutely can't live without Halo. It launched and still largely is a very American centered console

I wouldn't be surprised if they panicked and started to slash prices everywhere. But they need to be careful: if they out cut prices too much, too fast, potential customers could get spooked. Sony needs to tread carefully now.
There's no reason whatsoever to cut the price on the PS4 when it is selling so well. There's no need to panick at all.

le.phat

I wouldn't be surprised if they panicked and started to slash prices everywhere. But they need to be careful: if they out cut prices too much, too fast, potential customers could get spooked. Sony needs to tread carefully now.

This post begs for a dramatic reading , lol

JimiNutz

Banned
Price cuts are probably the best way to entice the more casual gamer.
There are definitely people out there that only play a handful of games. They play Fifa/Madden, a racing game, an FPS like COD or Battlefield, maybe GTA and maybe one or two other games.

If you haven't bought a console yet and you wanna play Fifa 15 (and not much else), wouldn't you go for the console that is the cheapest? Especially when both versions of Fifa 15 will probably be identical...

There are definitely people out there that only play a handful of games. They play Fifa/Madden, a racing game, an FPS like COD or Battlefield, maybe GTA and maybe one or two other games.

If you haven't bought a console yet and you wanna play Fifa 15 (and not much else), wouldn't you go for the console that is the cheapest? Especially when both versions of Fifa 15 will probably be identical...

FIFA fans, aka european gamers, play mainly on the Playstation, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable futur...

EGM1966

It would make sense. The console is really lagging badly in the European countries already launched in with likely poor prospects for new countries coming up in September.

Early indications in Europe seem to indicate that just removing Kinect without what feels like a real price cut has had limited impact - hence the console clearly needs a true price cut (both Kinect and non-Kinect models).

I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference but clearly price is a good way to change demand and given general market perception I feel the Xbox has to be cheaper than Playstation (despite MS clearly wanting to position it as a premium device).

Still just a rumour I guess but it would make sense.

As ever with the Xbox I'd love to know what freedom and directives Spencer has been given and how much CEO and senior board remain behind investing in the home console strategy - it would really help understand what moves are possible for the Xbox Division.

Yoday

You'd think so, but I was just talking with my brother last night who has been out of gaming for quite some time, and I was blown away by his thoughts on the XB1/PS4. He is pretty much at the point where he wouldn't touch the XB1, even if it was cheaper, and he was a 360 kid last gen. His reasons came down to the PS4 being more powerful, MS having gone in a weird direction, XBL being too expensive with too little value (he had no idea about the changes), and the fact that at this point his friends have PS4's and the friends that haven't gotten a new console yet are all eventually getting PS4's as well. This is all from someone who plays nothing but NBA 2k and GTA. At this point I'm not sure a price cut would make much difference. MS is in a real bad spot when it comes to public perception, regardless of the changes they have made.

Faustek

But the important question is:

Will retailers stop the ridiculous mark up on PS4 now?
That has been as expensive as a launch Day XBO since release(was like $13 difference).

Spineker

Banned
With the news that Ryse is heading to PC, and the fact that Titanfall also debuted on PC, AND the rumors that the Master Chief Collection will be on PC, what is the point of an Xbone?

Faustek

With the news that Ryse is heading to PC, and the fact that Titanfall also debuted on PC, AND the rumors that the Master Chief Collection will be on PC, what is the point of an Xbone?

Some people prefer to play on a console? It's really that simple.

Is this particularly rampant in Italy or something?

In Scandinavia at least. Mediamarkt/Elgiganten and those German owned companies.

Duxxy3

I wonder what this would dropped the kinectless version to. 350 would seem too high if the kinect version is 399.

Striek

I wonder how feasible it would be to strip the HDMI in and simplify the mobo and other parts (cooling, power supply) accordingly in a new revision. Not necessarily a new case, just a PS3-like removal of little used, expensive features while keeping the shell the same. Its been as clear a misread of the market as TVii, adding cost and little else.

Marvel

could never
It's kinda shocking how we haven't even really begun this generation and one console is already having price cuts in 1 year, crazy!

Steroyd

Unfortunately all of what you typed is near irrelevant to countries like Germany (which MS hoped to have a nice chunk of marketshare) where there's a decent PC presence, announcements like Ryse getting a PC port only compounds the wait and see approach to XBone exclusives when announced.

Plenty of exclusives which aren't and won't be getting a PC port.

If this aspect was really a big deal everyone would own a Wii U.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ah yes, Kinect. That hot piece of electronics everyone is foaming at the mouth for.

Ditch Kinect and lower the price.

It's kinda shocking how we haven't even really begun this generation and one console is already having price cuts in 1 year, crazy!

Didn't the exact thing happen with the OG Xbox? huge price drop and people who purchased before the pricedrop got 3x free games?

hmmm, thought this looked familiar:

It was only five days ago, at least give it more time between posting the exact same words (and ellipses, lol) Hotrod.

\

Top Bottom