• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BOMBA/rumour] XBone's new price cut for EU incoming? AmazonITA: X1+Kinect=€399

Spineker

Banned
Some people prefer to play on a console? It's really that simple.

In Scandinavia at least. Mediamarkt/Elgiganten and those German owned companies.

Plenty of exclusives which aren't and won't be getting a PC port.

If this aspect was really a big deal everyone would own a Wii U.

I get what you're both saying, but it's appearing like MS aren't that keen on leaving games as exclusive to Xbone, at least in the long term. If they aren't making enough money back on Xbone alone, then it's natural that they would port to PC to capitalize.

patapuf

Price cuts are probably the best way to entice the more casual gamer.
There are definitely people out there that only play a handful of games. They play Fifa/Madden, a racing game, an FPS like COD or Battlefield, maybe GTA and maybe one or two other games.

If you haven't bought a console yet and you wanna play Fifa 15 (and not much else), wouldn't you go for the console that is the cheapest? Especially when both versions of Fifa 15 will probably be identical...

Fifa is linked strongly linked with playstation in Europe. The price difference isn't particularily big even after the cut and since the PS4 is selling so much better than the Xbox you have the factor of "get the console your friends have" against it as well.

Oldsql

Fifa is linked strongly linked with playstation in Europe. The price difference isn't particularily big even after the cut and since the PS4 is selling so much better than the Xbox you have the factor of "get the console your friends have" against it as well.

Moreover the PS4 is still cheaper than XBox in Europe. I can get a PS4 on Amazon for 396€ and even for less in a lot of places. They should have dropped Kinect out of the deal and lower the price with 50 Euro more to be on the same price level.

If true, hopefully we'll see a boost in sales in Europe. This system is way too awesome to perform like that in the region.

It really doesn't lol. At least not to someone with a computer.

The problem of the Xbox One is not the Price...

With the news that Ryse is heading to PC, and the fact that Titanfall also debuted on PC, AND the rumors that the Master Chief Collection will be on PC, what is the point of an Xbone?

Shaking my motherfucking head.

This thread man...

Spineker

Banned
If true, hopefully we'll see a boost in sales in Europe. This system is way too awesome to perform like that in the region.

This thread man...

Instead of whining about the thread, you could perhaps come out with a suitable answer as to why we're wrong?

Sanpei

There was no price cut...There is Kinectless version...

So if this happens, it will be first PRICE CUT.....

It's 439 on amazon.de right now.

Not much of a drop when you consider the amount of ineffectual deals, bundles and price drops we've already had.

This thread man...

How about you tell us why the 'system is way to awesome' to fail? If giving away Fifa, Titanfall or Forza and knocking £50/€50 off the price didn't do it for UK/Europe then why do you think this 'rumoured' drop will?

mike4001_

Hm, not really.
You can buy the Xbone+Kinect bundle for 439 already (for example, take a look at amazon germany, etc.)
Xbone+Kinect+Titanfall for around 450€.
And it still doesn't sell.
A 40€ cut isn't really a "large drop".

I think it is.

When the cut is official they also have to cut down the Kinectless Version to at least 329 if not 299

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think it is.

When the cut is official they also have to cut down the Kinectless Version to at least 329 if not 299

Doubt it. I think Microsoft is realizing that the Kinect is barely selling. Not standalone, not bundled. The Kinectless SKU made sure of that. They have to get rid of them somehow.

While I think a price cut is actually coming, this could be just a temporary deal. I saw a Wii U deluxe + game at 180€ on Amazon.it once.

T.O.P

Banned
The only games you listed that aren't on PC are Forza, MCC and Quantum Break.

One of which will probably end up on PC and one that isn't due out until next year.

So the fact that i was supposed to wait 10 months to play DR3 and Ryse it doesn't even matter?

If you want to play something badly i don't see how you can start something in you head like "this mightcome on pc in a year, i'll probably skip for now"

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Actually, the price is exactly what's wrong with the Xbone. It's terrible value in comparison to the Playstation 4. Microsoft's problem is that the people who are interested in a new gaming console at this point in the generation, are also the people who are smart enough to understand that. And these people are the ones their friends ask when buying a console. In my opinion, Microsoft's best chance is dropping the price as low as they can stomach, and positioning the Xbone as the "cost-conscious alternative" to the PS4's "premium priced" solution. Anything else, and people are going to go with the PS4. And why wouldn't they - how many people are going to willingly pay more for less?

Right, because the Xbox 360 spanked the shit out of the PS3 in mainland Europe with a cheaper price and a 15 month head start. Oh wait, no it didn't. Price alone isn't the biggest factor of the X1's woes in Europe, as evidenced by the previous MS console. I'm thinking it's the brand itself.

wagamer

The best price I've seen was 389€ for X1 (kinectless) + forza + fifa. And the damn console isn't even released here yet. Not what I would pay for yet, but it's getting there alright.

kekke

Banned
I get what you're both saying, but it's appearing like MS aren't that keen on leaving games as exclusive to Xbone, at least in the long term. If they aren't making enough money back on Xbone alone, then it's natural that they would port to PC to capitalize.
You really think there's such thing as "enough money" for huge corporations? I bet they would have done those ports even if Xbone had sold more, didn't Spencer say they are steppin up on PC support too?

-MD-

If you want to play something badly i don't see how you can start something in you head like "this mightcome on pc in a year, i'll probably skip for now"

I mean it's not hard, I wanted to play Dead Rising 3 really badly when it came out but not enough to spend a ton of money on a console and I figured it'd be ported eventually, now it's coming to the computer and I get a better looking, better performing game at a cheaper price.

Of course not everyone is me and of course not everyone is you. To some people buying a really expensive console to play games early makes sense, to others it makes more sense to just wait if you know it's coming and at this point we can safely say a lot of the exclusives that hit XB1 will come.

Xando

At this point i probably wait until christmas next year and buy a Quantum Break bundle for 299€ or cheaper.
I dont think a price drop helps this much at the moment because you already can buy kinectless xb1 for 369€ in some stores, they need to change their marketing approach and make stop airing American ads with German dubs...

Riky

$MSFT

Ryse and Dead Rising 3 aren't first party games, it isn't Microsoft doing the porting. It is obviously a lot cheaper for Microsoft to buy exclusivity for a year and maybe long term console exclusivity, anyone who really wanted to play DR3 and Ryse has already done their console buying to do so, PC port later doesn't really change much.

kekke

Banned
Were those two games worth 500 bucks?

Crimson was free and 60 second cost 5$. To me console is bit like long time investment, I buy it so I can play many many games over the years, like most people.I'm not even sure are you serious. Should I buy PC to play one or two games, Mp3 player for few albums? There are many reason why i bought Xbox One, and why I only use my PC for editing, surfing and school work, mixture of preferences and practicality.

I not sure I understand some of the logic here. A system possibly becoming cheaper to purchase is either:

A: Still too expensive, it has to be $99 with 10 free games before I'll even think about it
B: Not worth it because if I wait long enough all of the games will come to my PC
C: Too late, might as well pack it up

Special C

If anyone is considering picking this up soon, I strongly suggest shelling out the extra dough for Kinect. Even if you don't use it for games it makes the OS experience much better.

GenericUser

Microsoft can try what they want, Playstation will continue to whip their ass in Europe and not price cut is going to change that. Fifa and Cod will have to become Xbox exclusive to turn things around.

Axial

It's cool that they're dropping the price and trying to pull in more people with Kinect less bundles, but the price performance ratio is still not there compared to the PS4, imho.
I'm a PC gamer first but do enjoy some console action from time to time. Last gen seemed like an even playing field so I went with the xbox360 early on because some SKU's were half the price of a PS3 over here in Poland. This gen I'm opting for a PS4. The xbone still costs too much for me, it's either 1699 (aprox. 540$ / 400€) or 1899 polish zloty (aprox. 600$ / 450€) depending on the SKU(500GB with or without Kinect), the PS4 on the other hand sellls for around 1499 polish zloty in most retailers (aprox. 480$ / 350€) for the basic 500GB unit. The PS4 just seems like a better deal for me personally, regardless of how many friends I have on my Xlive account... most people I know allready have or going to buy a PS4 anyway.

Bastardo

I not sure I understand some of the logic here. A system possibly becoming cheaper to purchase is either:

A: Still too expensive, it has to be $99 with 10 free games before I'll even think about it
B: Not worth it because if I wait long enough all of the games will come to my PC

There were already many remarks in this thread stating "It's not the price."

There are (in my theory) four valid discriminators, which can make you buy either a PS4 or a XB1 (i.e. discriminators, which rate the 'value' of the consoles):

Subjective
-> Exclusives (past,present,future)
-> General Preference of the MS or Sony ecosystem (controller, Live-PSN, etc.)

Objective:
-> Price
-> Performance

Currently neither console has a real edge on the subjective discriminators. Being subjective they are valued on a person by person scale.
Price would be the same after the pricecut (with Kinect i.e.), so there is objective parity.
Performance will always be in favor of the PS4, no cloud can change that.

So to answer your question:
A: You will get negative remarks about the XB1's pricing from people as long as they value the number of exclusives + the performance disparity + ecosystem higher than the price difference. The subjective value of the Sony and MS ecosystems will rise, the longer they use it (fanboyism on both sides).
B: Bringing out exclusives also on the PC devalues them on XB1, because they are less exclusive.

C: Well, currently there might be a strategic shift in Microsoft - new CEO and all. If they consider the XB1 failed and let it die asap, they might reconsider the PC platform as their main platform and start pushing Windows > 8 to combat the rise of steam, which will over a long time period make people less dependent on Windows.

Krilekk

Banned
They should just design a new console, release it in a year and have a good trade-in deal for existing X1 owners. There's no way they can turn the X1 into anything like the 360 unless they take huge losses. On the other side if those last financial results were really a result of the R&D of X1 and not a result of the console itself they might be ok with having a short but profitable piece of the pie. For now. But as an Xbox fanboy I just want them to get this generation over with ASAP and release a worty successor to the 360.

Price cut alone won't cut it. They need to have a serious price cut, add a year of Gold to every SKU and a free first party game.

I'm assuming this means the Kinect-less version is going to be €350 then?

Should be 299. Which would be in line with the power difference to PS4. Those 50 € cuts weren't helping them with 360 in Europe, they were mostly just reducing the official price to what the console already didn't sell at at retailers.

Kysen

Same problem WiiU threads have, the price is never low enough. I think its funny that we've had bundles galore from X1 and Sony has done nothing. What happens when Sony finally decides to cut the price?

Hoo-doo

Banned

The device already became 'cheaper to purchase' by 100$ a few weeks ago. It didn't really do anything.

It's the console's image they have to improve. The negative stink around it that's still permeating the mindshare of Xbox one. Dropping the price a few bucks is not going to make an undesirable product suddenly desirable.

EGM1966

So the fact that i was supposed to wait 10 months to play DR3 and Ryse it doesn't even matter?

Unless you're really desperate for a game it's easy to wait. Part of the issue for MS is that the 360 generation taught the market that a lot of initial Xbox exclusives hit PC at some point if not pretty quickly.

Therefore if you have a PC for games (as I and many in Europe still do) it's pretty much the first thing you consider - is this game really exclusive to Xbox or if I wait will I get a better version for my PC?

It's nothing malicious or anti-MS simply a reaction to actual events. MS chose a strategy that included a lot of timed exclusives and like all strategies it has good/bad points.

One of the negatives is that once the market understands the strategy it will take it into consideration.

Look at things so far with the One already:

• It's first big exclusive - TitanFall - is right off the bat only console exclusive
  • Dead Rising 3 is hitting PC already
  • Ryse is hitting PC already
As a PC owner why wouldn't you wonder what will come to PC?

I do and everyone I game with on PC does and while I normally shy away from anecdotal stuff in this case I feel it is the more likely scenario.

Now of course if you really want the game day 1 then yes you'll go console but it's worth considering the PC market and the evidence via Stream and GoG that many PC gamers are happy to wait to get a deal and/or a game on PC vs console.

This area has always been a weakness for Xbox outside US (and to an extent UK).

By comparison the market has been taught a Nintendo or Sony exclusive likely isn't ever coming to PC officially not indeed to any other console.

On another note I see people grumbling about the "price isn't the issue" posts : based on the evidence in Europe price isn't the main issue, although a price drop should raise sales at least a little. Current evidence suggests the console is not very elastic to price as seen by various bundles and pack in game offers already.

Every product has it's own price elasticity and they vary.

Right now in Europe the PS4 is for sure more elastic to price than the One so MS do need to consider price drops carefully as a result. Enough to help sales a little but not enough to tempt Spny to counter. And any price drop must be part of a broader strategy involving more true exclusives and more services of use in Europe.

They should just design a new console, release it in a year and have a good trade-in deal for existing X1 owners. There's no way they can turn the X1 into anything like the 360 unless they take huge losses. On the other side if those last financial results were really a result of the R&D of X1 and not a result of the console itself they might be ok with having a short but profitable piece of the pie. For now. But as an Xbox fanboy I just want them to get this generation over with ASAP and release a worty successor to the 360.

Price cut alone won't cut it. They need to have a serious price cut, add a year of Gold to every SKU and a free first party game.

Should be 299. Which would be in line with the power difference to PS4. Those 50 € cuts weren't helping them with 360 in Europe, they were mostly just reducing the official price to what the console already didn't sell at at retailers.

Shit, €299 and I'm on board.

Top Bottom