• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxer Floyd Mayweather called Conor McGregor a gay slur (the f one)

RM8

I never liked this idiot, but it generally hurts when your favourite contact sports athletes come out as horrible people, and that's not really a rare occurrence ;( Maybe I should watch golf instead.

Yeah, I expect more from people who get punched in the head for a living.

There is more then one person in any given sport. We have some wonderful people in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts who have given plenty to our community and are humble, fantastic people.

It is unfortunate that these two are the biggest stars currently, as they have proven themselves to both be rubbish these past few days. But unfortunately, controversy creates cash.

I guess, but if someone is already interested in buying this fight, someone can't expect that telling them money is going to shitty people would change their minds, we all do it.

As we found out in the "Dancing Monkeys' thread, a lot of people who are apparently interested in (or are thinking of pitching in on) this PPV do not know just how shitty either of these guys are, as evidenced by how many people immediately jumped to the end of the thread (whenever it was) and asked the same 3 or 4 questions that could have only been asked if they were still ignorant as to what fucking shitbirds these two were.

So someone might be interested up until they find out they're paying the two of them $100 for the opportunity to watch a woman-beating homophobic racist fuck up a homophobic racist in what is guaranteed to be an uninteresting disappointment that will offer nothing even remotely interesting or entertaining to watch even if you can divorce all their moral repugnancy from the physical act of their fighting, because whatever is going to go down in that ring is going to suck.

border

Also lol at the implication that being fatigued makes you likely to just yell out horrible slurs

"It was proof that this world tour had dragged on far too long and everyone was suffering from fatigue"

If you're carefully training yourself not to use certain words that were once a common part of your vocabulary, I can see how being stressed, tired, and agitated could cause you to lose focus and backslide into outdated slurs. Not that that really excuses this in any fashion though.

I read it more as "These guys have been trying to trash talk each other for days now and have run out of ways to up the ante, so this one asshole just decided to drop a nasty slur."

Zyae

That's my point, Samar. That's exactly the point I'm making.

You're paying $100 to a racist homophobe and... another racist (who may or may not be a homophobe).

So that they can lamely beat on each other (in a disappointing fashion) for a few minutes before the contest ends prematurely because it's a fucking carny sham of a sporting event.

If you're going to spend money on ambulatory large intestines dripping shit from a slit in their heads, there are other entertainment options that will at least, in the most cynical of reasonings, return some enjoyment for that investment.

That's the point, Samar. You don't have to spend money on garbage people, but if you're bound and determined to tuck your C-note in the thong of a fucking horrid waste of skin, there are options that will at least provide a decent show.

Gatekeeping has reached a new insane level.

There is more then one person in any given sport. We have some wonderful people in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts who have given plenty to our community and are humble, fantastic people.

It is unfortunate that these two are the biggest stars currently, as they have proven themselves to both be rubbish these past few days. But unfortunately, controversy creates cash.
Yeah I mean not every fighter is an asshole obviously but let's also not pretend that there isn't a huge toxic masculinity problem in sports and fighting especially.

As we found out in the "Dancing Monkeys' thread, a lot of people who are apparently interested in (or are thinking of pitching in on) this PPV do not know just how shitty either of these guys are, as evidenced by how many people immediately jumped to the end of the thread (whenever it was) and asked the same 3 or 4 questions that could have only been asked if they were still ignorant as to what fucking shitbirds these two were.

So someone might be interested up until they find out they're paying the two of them $100 for the opportunity to watch a woman-beating homophobic racist fuck up a homophobic racist in what is guaranteed to be an uninteresting disappointment that will offer nothing even remotely interesting or entertaining to watch even if you can divorce all their moral repugnancy from the physical act of their fighting, because whatever is going to go down in that ring is going to suck.
Okay, I still don't expect that to change the minds of people who had their money set on buying this fight, but there's no way to prove that one way or the other.

Whether the fight entertains him and/or him & the people he's watching the fight with remains to be seen.

It means outside of a gaming forum, no body gives a shit? lol
That's pretty sad don't ya think

It's not like it's even gonna be a good fight

People are gonna line the pockets of tremendous assholes just to watch a garbage fight that has a lot of shitty hype behind it

Explain how that was "gatekeeping."

If they are fans of either MMA or professional boxing, it will not entertain them. It will be a sham. A disappointing, ugly, stupid sham.
I guess you're not really going to accept any other view on how the fight will turn out going forward in this thread?

I guess you're not really going to accept any other view on how the fight will turn out going forward in this thread?

I'm going to disagree with people who think this will be even remotely interesting/entertaining from a fight perspective, absolutely. I can accept that someone else might be hopeful that the opposite might turn out, sure. But I don't see any reason for me to accept their view as a plausible one.

g11

I for one am shocked that Floyd Mayweather would deploy such a slur in an attempt to emasculate Conor McGregor.

velociraptor

Ah yes, let us be offended that combat athletes are using racial or sexist slurs - but it's ok if they beat the shit out of each other.

Let's be honest - they're both cussing each other and it's nothing more than that.

I don't see why everyone is microanalysing their words.

KillLaCam

Banned
If they are fans of either MMA or professional boxing, it will not entertain them. It will be a sham. A disappointing, ugly, stupid sham.
Naw literally everyone I've talked to about this at my MMA gym (even the pros) are entertained by this, and we have the most successful team in Asia.

I'm sure nobody here is expecting a competitive fight but it'll be entertaining. Even if Conor gets TKOd in a few seconds, it'll sill be hilarious. Freak Shows happen all of the time. They're never this big though.

border

I'm going to disagree with people who think this will be even remotely interesting/entertaining from a fight perspective, absolutely.

What makes you think the fight will not be interesting? I don't follow boxing or MMA or fighting in general, but it sounds like it will be interesting at least from an outsider's perspective. You have 1 fighter that will be way out of his element, and 1 fighter that's at the end of his career. Either one could slip up and take some major damage.

Then again, I turned up for Maywhether/Pacquiao and that was kind of a bust. Maywhether may just play defense for the whole fight again.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don't get these reaction threads. Turns out, if you beat the shit out of people for a living, you are predisposed to being an asshole. Who could have guessed.
Just realise they ain't role models and enjoy the spectacle.

giphy.gif

Naw literally everyone I've talked to about this at my MMA gym (even the pros) are entertained by this, and we have the most successful team in Asia. .

The most successful team in Asia has an astoundingly low bar for entertainment I guess.

I mean, I dunno what to say there. It's gonna be a shit fight. Using your best/worst case scenario for ridiculousness: a 3 second KO freak show for a $100? That's a bad investment, to me. I dunno.

AI don't see why everyone is microanalysing their words.

It's not really any micro to this analysis, man. One side features a guy calling a black man boy and making references to dancing monkeys. Other side is a woman beater homophobe who is... also a racist.

You don't need to take a microscope to a dumpster to determine there's trash inside.

commedieu

Banned
What makes you think the fight will not be interesting? I don't follow boxing or MMA or fighting in general, but it sounds like it will be interesting at least from an outsider's perspective. You have 1 fighter that will be way out of his element, and 1 fighter that's at the end of the line. Either one could slip up and take some major damage.

Then again, I turned up for Maywhether/Pacquiao and that was kind of a bust.

You ever play street fighter with someone that hits block the whole time? That's maywhethr.

Same people stanning this fight were stanning the Pacquiao fight (another bout between two homophobes) before it happened. If you recall how that went down, most were saying how disappointed they were in its quality halfway in, let alone by the end of the fight. I'm glad of it, too

So do transformers movies.

The new one (with racism in it) isn't even on pace to make $650 mil, and is a big disappointment. I'm glad of it, too

KillLaCam

Banned
The most successful team in asia has an astoundingly low bar for entertainment I guess.

I mean, I dunno what to say there. It's gonna be a shit fight. a 3 second KO freak show for a $100? That's a bad investment, to me. I dunno.
$100 isn't anything. Especially for an entire gym.
Plus freak-shows are what Japanese MMA is built on so that'd mean the average Japanese fan has a low bar for entertainment.

Im certain that I could find a shitload of legit fighters around the world who are interested in this. You have to be a casual fan if you have no idea how popular freak shows can be.

samar11

That's pretty sad don't ya think

It's not like it's even gonna be a good fight

People are gonna line the pockets of tremendous assholes just to watch a garbage fight that has a lot of shitty hype behind it

Look mate, I think a lot of people are going to watch it for the 'what if'' between these fighters. I am one of those guys. MMA vs Boxer, it has never happened.

$100 isn't anything. Especially for an entire gym.
Plus freak-shows are what Japanese MMA is built on so that'd mean the average Japanese fan has a low bar for entertainment.

Im certain that I could find a shitload of legit fighters around the world who are interested in this. You have to be a casual fan if you have no idea how popular freak shows can be.

Okay but at this point you're basically just making an argument for freak shows period. Not fighting.

Which takes me back to what I said to Samar earlier - if you just wanna throw money at a freak show, there are probably better options that are going to be way more entertaining, is all I'm saying. Like a lot of the Japanese MMA you're referencing. I'm talking about this specific freak show. Which is bound to be a horrible disappointment even for people setting the bar in the fuckin' floor. If you wanna throw cash at a freak show, there are likely any number of opportunities to do so that that also don't end up lining the pockets of people whose shriveled hearts pump garbage water.

Where was that dude who said I was gatekeeping, anyway. That shit doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying people aren't good enough to be MMA fans or boxing fans. I'm not saying they're bad fans who don't deserve to call themselves as such. I'm not saying they're not good enough to wear the label of fan, and I'm not saying they should pass some sort of fan purity test before they allow themselves to watch an MMA fight.

I'm saying they should refund their money if they've already paid into this bullshit because it's going to be a trash fight between trash people and even if you love a freakshow there are probably other freakshows that don't financially reward known human waste.

Hex

Banned
Shock and awe really..total and complete surprise.
He comes off as such a nice quiet godly child.
Seriously though I ook forward to the next thread the next time one of them opens their mouth because it is apparent that they are good enough at what they do that people can't help themselves. Posts, texts, tweets. Facebook messages....all $$$.
They play on the human Pavlovian response to drama, and also the need for it and people just can't help themselves.

I don't get these reaction threads. Turns out, if you beat the shit out of people for a living, you are predisposed to being an asshole. Who could have guessed.
Just realise they ain't role models and enjoy the spectacle.
I wonder how many serious athletes and Olympians would disagree. It's a shame a few total assholes have painted the whole sport like this. I get it. Just as a fan of boxing it's disappointing.

KillLaCam

Banned
Okay but at this point you're basically just making an argument for freak shows period. Not fighting.

Which takes me back to what I said to Samar earlier - if you just wanna throw money at a freak show, there are probably better options that are going to be way more entertaining, is all I'm saying. Like a lot of the Japanese MMA you're referencing. I'm talking about this specific freak show. Which is bound to be a horrible disappointment even for people setting the bar in the fuckin' floor. If you wanna throw cash at a freak show, there are likely any number of opportunities to do so that that also don't end up lining the pockets of people whose shriveled hearts pump garbage water.

Ohh I thought you were just saying this event couldn't be entertaining at all to someone who knows about fighting. My bad lol. I was confused because I've seen people having fun when shitty James Toney thought he could beat MMA fighters at MMA.

I'm sure any fan casual enough to expect a legit fight is gonna be disappointed. Even if they were great people this would be a dumb fight to waste any money on.

But I know any legit fan of Floyd wouldn't care about him saying some slurs. He's built his image on being an asshole. Maybe you could convince some of Conor's fans though, alot of people have no idea about him outside of his fights and him being Irish.

I hope they both just end each other.

Not their careers, but their lives.

Like they literally kill each other in the boxing ring.

Be the animals they claim to be, uncivilized things.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Mr.Shrugglesツ;243492291 said:

this seems a bit over the top

Chumley

Banned
Mr.Shrugglesツ;243492291 said:

Christ. Sometimes OT can be so embarrassing.

Top Bottom