• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Fuller: "I just had a great idea for season 4 of Hannibal"

From the Independant

Creator Bryan Fuller has been talking increasingly about the prospect of season 4, recently telling the Post Mortem with Mick Garris that he has a "great idea" about where the show could go next.

"I have conversations with [Hannibal executive producer] Martha De Laurentiis," he explained. "I have conversations with Mads [Mikkelsen] and Hugh [Dancy]. We're are all excited about the prospect of returning to the story. There's some hurdles to get through... [But] I just had a great idea for season 4."

Oh, and concerning the rights to Silence of the Lamb?

What's intriguing, as IndieWire points out, is that Fuller previously mentioned discussions with De Laurentiis about potentially bringing in elements of Silence of the Lambs for the new season; completing the narrative circle, in a similar way that Bates Motel did in its final season.

The rights to the story are currently under the ownership of the producers for the 1991 film, though they revert back in August of this year; fairly perfect timing for Fuller and for the future of Hannibal.

oh yeah baby. Time to bring back the greatest television show of all time.

jelly

While I enjoyed the production values and lots of episodes, the show was so far up it's arse, it lost me many times. I watched it all but style and visuals took over decent storytelling which annoyed me. Would be up for season 4 though.

bebop242

While I enjoyed the production values and lots of episodes, the show was so far up it's arse, it lost me many times. I watched it all but style and visuals took over decent storytelling which annoyed me. Would be up for season 4 though.

The start of season 3 was the absolute worst for this.

Yeah the beginning of season 3 is kind of a slog. Too many games, fakeouts, hallucinations, and contrived alliances for a series that already leaned heavily on all of those elements. I'm sure I'll finish it someday.

Don't tease me like this... Hannibal, especially the amazing season 3, is one of the greatest accomplishments in TV. I need a season 4. Also, give me more Pushing Daisies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My dream is Starz picking up Hannibal for a one-off set of episodes so Fuller can do his take on Silence of the Lambs.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
tumblr_mopesks2sx1rvs9wso1_500.gif

The wound is still fresh, Bryan.

Dysun

Season 3 made me ok with the idea that it ends there. Way too self indulgent and lost the charm and intrigue of seasons 1 and 2.

All that said, I would happily watch a season 4.

hydruxo

Probably would be a while before he'd get to make it though if it got greenlit anywhere. At the very earliest it'd have to be after they film season 2 of American Gods, but probably would be a lot later than that.

I hadn't heard about the rights reverting back.

Oh please oh please oh please oh please.

Surely some disgustingly rich person has good taste in TV.

I mean if Showtime can bankroll 18 hours of David Lynch doing whatever the fuck he wants, then someone can surely bankroll this too.

MAKE IT HAPPEN. I NEED THE CYCLE TO COMPLETE.

Vamphuntr

I enjoyed the first and second season but the third one was really bad. I will take a "be decent" again instead of the greatest idea ever.

While season 3 started off sluggish, I thought once it got going it was as good as the previous two seasons. They could have trimmed up the first 3 or so episodes and added more devoted to Red Dragon, but I still liked it.

This guy has been figuring out and fighting for his shows to stay on TV for like 15 years.

Lol, no kidding. It's wild to think that Hannibal was the first show he's run that has managed to go past season 2, and even then, just barely. American Gods seems to be his first like legit out of ballpark ratings success, but a large part of that is it being on Starz and having a lower expectation for ratings.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I heard Amazon offered to do a season 4 but only immediately after season 3 ended, which Fuller wasn't interested in due to other projects. Those streaming rights are up for renewal at the end of the year too - I'm thinking Netflix will snatch it up and let him do whatever he wants.

LaneDS

I heard Amazon offered to do a season 4 but only immediately after season 3 ended, which Fuller wasn't interested in due to other projects. Those streaming rights are up for renewal at the end of the year too - I'm thinking Netflix will snatch it up and let him do whatever he wants.

That'd be super.

I'm okay with it ending at season three but would be more okay with it coming back. Season three was a little spotty but still had some great moments.

I kinda don't want this.

His version of Hannibal & Will's relationship was great, and it ended just in time, and in just the right way.

Sometimes dead is better

I would give my left butt cheek for a 4th season

They need to put it on Netflix tho otherwise they will end up with the same rating problems

Solo

To be honest, with the way the first half (two-thirds?) of S3 meandered around Europe and up its own ass, I'm fine with no more Hannibal.

S2 was flawless though, and one of the best seasons of television I can recall.

To be honest, with the way the first half (two-thirds?) of S3 meandered around Europe and up its own ass, I'm fine with no more Hannibal.

S2 was flawless though, and one of the best seasons of television I can recall.
Season 2 is amazing. One of my favorite pieces of TV, ever. I enjoyed the whole show immensely, though.

I would love a season 4.

Yeah, sadly I fell off the show there. It was way too self-indulgent at that point.
Everyone says this (including in this very thread) but starting when fishburne kicks Hannibals ass and then on to red dragon it's fucking amazing. Just have to fast forward through those early episodes. They literally don't add a thing to the narrative

I kinda don't want this.

His version of Hannibal & Will's relationship was great, and it ended just in time, and in just the right way.

Sometimes dead is better

Kinda feel the same. I like where Hannibal ended and don't feel it necessary to continue. If they do I worry it'll become drab or typical.

No way they don't bring back Will, though.

And I have a hard time believing Anna Chlumsky's character wasn't really supposed to be Clarice anyway.

Blader

I kinda don't want this.

Sometimes dead is better

I was quite fine with reading the S3 finale as
Hannibal and Will are dead, and Bedelia serving herself her own leg in vain
but Fuller keeps insisting, many times, that that's not the case. So as long as he wants to keep that dumb cliffhanger open, may as well get a continuation out of it.

No way they don't bring back Will, though.

And I have a hard time believing Anna Chlumsky's character wasn't really supposed to be Clarice anyway.

She probably was as much as Quantum was supposed to be Spectre in the current Bond universe. Look what happened to Quantum when Sony got the rights to use Spectre.

Salvadora

I've had enough of Hannibal despite liking it quite a bit.

It's better left the way it is.

Tried to watch American Gods but it came across as very self-indulgent.

Top Bottom