• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces The Disney Afternoon Collection for PS, XB1 and PC [Port beg = ban]

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is cool, but I played all of these back in the day with DuckTales being the best.

Since we've already recently gotten it on VC as well as the remake I'm sorta waffling if I'll get this.

Would have been way more pumped if we had gotten this first vs just the DT remake we got a few back.

Zia

I swear I remember an audio interview with Mike Mika from late last year where he mentioned projects coming this year, but I can't find it now. Afraid this might be it from Digital Eclipse (it did take them like two years... ) with Cifaldi now running The Video Game History Foundation.

Edit: Ah, found it. Mike appeared on the Back In My Play podcast in November and stated that they should hopefully be able to announce their "next slate of Digital Eclipse stuff" by January or February. Of course, that could've meant all the games in this collection but we can hope.

Anyone have individual reviews on each game?

Ducktales: Fun platformer with some unique mechanics that weren't really copied by anything else until Shovel Knight. Big, sprawling levels for an NES game that let you wander around like a series of mini-Metroid style games. Absolutely worth playing if you're interested in the NES era of video games, it's really a classic.

Ducktales 2: Basically more of the first game, doesn't really do anything noteworthy itself but it's still a lot of fun.

Rescue Rangers: A fun if slightly clunky platformer with Mario 2 style pick-up-and-throw combat. The big draw here is 2 player simultaneous co-op, a rarity on the NES. This game's impact on co-op games can still be felt as recently as the New Super Mario Bros series, this is where the 'pick up and throw your friend' thing really came from. Singleplayer it's alright, but in co-op it's great.

Rescue Rangers 2: Not as good as the first game, but still fun with two players. A solid addition to this pack but not a main draw (except for how expensive the real cart is to buy).

Darkwing Duck: Built out of the same engine as Megaman 5, Darkwing Duck takes the Megaman formula in some interesting directions. It still has the structure that lets you pick who to fight when, but Darkwing has more platforming tools than Megaman and less weapon variety. The boss fights are more imaginative than the other NES Megaman titles. Personally I think Darkwing Duck is a great spin on that formula and worth playing if you enjoy Megaman.

Tailspin: A side-scrolling shmup. Not really anything special, in my opinion. A fun addition to the pack but not a game I'd buy on it's own.

120v

glad they're actually including ducktales 2 and rescue rangers 2. i could see them getting swept under the rug since virtually nobody played them

This is cool, but I played all of these back in the day with DuckTales being the best.

Since we've already recently gotten it on VC as well as the remake I'm sorta waffling if I'll get this.

Would have been way more pumped if we had gotten this first vs just the DT remake we got a few back.

Uh... pretty sure none of these are on any of the VC services.

trixx

I love the 90s save by the bell esque graphics for the ad. And yeah that mod edit was necessary the begging was getting obnoxious

Out of nowhere!

The Disney Afternoon Collection, that's so cute.

I did spend my childhood after schools watching all these Disney cartoons all the time on the afternoon cartoon blocks that aired. So as a grown ass man I need to have this.

de_reddy

Neo Member
Unless the game comes out physical I'm afraid it's not going to sell well. I don't think the majority of the people who hacked the nes mini consider online leaderboards/time attack enough to purchase it. And since I assume there's a huge overlap between the people interested in this collection and the people owning a nes mini, only the physical collector's angle is going to pull those people over.

blueredandgold

Neo Member
I also would love to know more about the way Digital Eclipse has directed those of us interested in other platforms go about expressing this.

If a new forum thread. expressly for the purposes of informing Capcom like Frank Cifaldi/Digital Eclipse suggested, was made, would we still be at risk of bannage?

So I got this reply
9E803Oh.png

https://twitter.com/AHM7777/status/842078302663782406
...did these titles not run at 60fps on the NES? I'm a bit confused by the question, as that was kind of a standard back then.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Unless the game comes out physical I'm afraid it's not going to sell well. I don't think the majority of the people who hacked the nes mini consider online leaderboards/time attack enough to purchase it. And since I assume there's a huge overlap between the people interested in this collection and the people owning a nes mini, only the physical collector's angle is going to pull those people over.

how about the fact that this is a legal alternative.

Jashobeam

would be cool if they included a few episodes of the cartoons as an extra, or at least the opening songs which were very catchy.

I remember someone did a patch for DuckTales 2 that added a 2p mode and apparently took out all the slowdown, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Z..

Why would you assume such a thing?

Z..

Then keep that 'charm' and offer an option to play without them.
That is not their MO. Superficial QOL enhancements are ok, but any fundamental changes to how the original product actually performed/was meant to be played are a no-no.
Realistically though, your gripe is pedantic at best... Why does it even bother you?

Tizoc

That is not their MO. Superficial QOL enhancements are ok, but any fundamental changes to how the original product actually performed/was meant to be played are a no-no.
Realistically though, your gripe is pedantic at best... Why does it even bother you?

Because it's 2017 and as much as its fine to have a game play as exactly as its original as possible, it'd be cool to have further enhancements to the performance just to see how smooth it'd look.

The games are in 256x224. What would it gain from scaling to 4k that it doesn't already get from scaling to 1080p?

The collection seems great to me. I'm assuming it will just have some art galleries and maybe a little text like the MM collection. Ideally, I would love a documentary or two. Maybe a feature on the music.

DiGiKerot

The games are in 256x224. What would it gain from scaling to 4k that it doesn't already get from scaling to 1080p?

The collection seems great to me. I'm assuming it will just have some art galleries and maybe a little text like the MM collection. Ideally, I would love a documentary or two. Maybe a feature on the music.

Pixels coming out of old systems like the NES tended to actually be rectangular rather than square. Rendering out at a higher resolution can theoretically give a closer approximation to what the pixel shape coming out of the original console was with less potential distortion or uneven sizes than at 1080p.

It's real anal stuff to a degree, but there is definitely an advantage to it for those who care about it.

I own all of these on my NES mini, lol. I'll buy it anyways because of that sweet, sweet Ducktales.

Mega Man Legacy Collection never got any Pro updates. Don't know if this one will either...

I hope so.

When you "zoom in" on MMLC on a 4K screen, there's​ barely any lost on picture quality. Game should do just fine on Pro at 1080p.

de_reddy

Neo Member
how about the fact that this is a legal alternative.

I don't think the majority is interested in a legal digital alternative. Fact is, most people seem pretty proud to have a hacked nes mini. Most facebook groups I am active in contained loads of brag posts during this hack hype.

Why would you assume such a thing?

Because they are both nostalgia driven nes releases, and the nes mini has been out for months? I don't think that needs any explanation?

Having these things for free/illegally on a NES Mini and not buying the actual game as a result now that they're legally available again is kinda the whole 'pirating is bad' argument in a nutshell.

@MUWANdo

Banned
glad they're actually including ducktales 2 and rescue rangers 2. i could see them getting swept under the rug since virtually nobody played them

The NES version of Ducktales 2 came out too late to be a hit but the Game Boy version of Ducktales 2 (which isn't exactly the same game but is close enough) did really well, so it's not like it went undiscovered or anything.

Speaking of, it'd be nice to get the GB versions of Ducktales 1 & 2 and Darkwing Duck, just for completion's sake.

The NES version of Ducktales 2 came out too late to be a hit but the Game Boy version of Ducktales 2 (which isn't exactly the same game but is close enough) did really well, so it's not like it went undiscovered or anything.

Speaking of, it'd be nice to get the GB versions of Ducktales 1 & 2 and Darkwing Duck, just for completion's sake.
Yeah, the the GB versions just remix the NES level layouts, just like the first four Megaman GB games did. I actually kind of prefer DuckTales 2 GB to the NES version for some weird reason, though. At the very least, the soundtrack sounds better.

I think the only one of the Disney GB ports that was 1:1 with the NES version was The Little Mermaid, but considering the incredibly simple design of that game, it make sense.

Z..

Because it's 2017 and as much as its fine to have a game play as exactly as its original as possible, it'd be cool to have further enhancements to the performance just to see how smooth it'd look.

It'd be cool, but it's hardly essential. Remember, you can always emulate it to suit your tastes!

Because they are both nostalgia driven nes releases, and the nes mini has been out for months? I don't think that needs any explanation?

It needs explanation because for a lot of us retro enthusiasts the NES mini was a completely pointless and unappealing product that offered nothing outside minor decorative value. There will be some overlap, but your assessment is completely fallacious in nature. To the point of being silly.

bengraven

Please have some other Disney games as unlocks. Didn't Capcom do other Disney non-Afternoon games?
Edit:
It was simple and short but Capcoms Little Mermaid was fucking fun. Mickey Mousecapades and Magic Kingdom were not so much but I still have soft spots for them.

petran79

Banned
Back then during Ducktales Remaster, I heard and thought they were preparing something similar with Rescue Rangers, even with voice actors.

It seems this was the plan all along :(

Top Bottom