• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces The Disney Afternoon Collection for PS, XB1 and PC [Port beg = ban]

Pinky

Banned
Nope, it strives to replicate how they ran on the NES as accurately as possible.

Yep. I'm perfectly okay with this. Capcom/Inti Creates also went out of their way to replicate the slowdown and flickering from the NES Mega Man games for 9 and 10. I appreciate how they try to keep things as authentic as possible.

About the only digital aspect...

Why is it that this collection doesn't come out physical on the systems, but Street Fighter II on Switch is?

I think some strange choices are made...

The games are in 256x224. What would it gain from scaling to 4k that it doesn't already get from scaling to 1080p?

Actually, 4k is fantastic for CRT shaders. You get nine pixels of height to simulate an original 240p/224p scanline, and like 10 or 11 pixels of width to really bring those triads to life.

Seriously, I expect big things from 4k OLED approximating vintage CRT.

de_reddy

Neo Member
It needs explanation because for a lot of us retro enthusiasts the NES mini was a completely pointless and unappealing product that offered nothing outside minor decorative value. There will be some overlap, but your assessment is completely fallacious in nature. To the point of being silly.

Maybe it's different from country to country but in Belgium I don't know a single nintendo retro enthusiast that doesn't have a (hacked) mini. To be clear I don't a have a hacked one because I prefer the original hardware on crt and have most cartridges I really like to play (only missing rr2 and talespin in this collection), and I don't like going through the hoops for softmodding consoles.

It could be I'm just being dumb but I don't see why my assessment is falacious or even silly? Don't get the condescending tone either.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Will this game have any licensing expirations like how the Mickey Mouse game got suddenly pulled out from the PSN store?

Megatron

Will this game have any licensing expirations like how the Mickey Mouse game got suddenly pulled out from the PSN store?
Probably eventually, but duck tales remastered is still available. Hell the Disney ps1 games have been available for years on psn too.

Megatron

This isn't MegaMan X or Zero collection. Nobody wants this.

I'm a huge mega man fan, but the x games have been in collections before, and have been released on various VC's. This is the only way to get the Disney games. So I am very excited for this and more excited than I would be for another X collection.

I'd love it if they were somehow able to add Ducktales 2 style pogo jumping to Ducktales 1 ala Remastered. That is, jump and B to pogo, not jump, B+down.

mclem

I'm a huge mega man fan, but the x games have been in collections before, and have been released on various VC's. This is the only way to get the Disney games. So I am very excited for this and more excited than I would be for another X collection.

I think I'm most excited, actually, about the fact that, well, Disney licensed this. There's been a definite thawing over the last few years about their attitude to the older IP they own the rights to.

I wonder if it'll have a different name in the regions where the Disney Afternoon brand wasn't a thing.

mindsale

I am so excited for this.

I loved Capcom's DuckTales as a kid and never played DuckTales 2. I loved Capcom's Rescue Rangers as a kid and never played its sequel either.

I wonder why I didn't? I know DuckTales 2 came out after there was a SNES in my household, or around the same time, but I still owned every Mega Man game as it came out.

Is there a big reason to play these over the original on an old tv? Talking visuals. Obviously the extra stuff and modes is a plus.

Love chip and and dale though.

andymcc

Banned

I think Capcom has a much better relationship than Disney considering ducktales remastered is still available, MVC3 being ported to modern consoles, and MVC4.

Is there a big reason to play these over the original on an old tv?

Love chip and and dale though.

If you don't already own these games, the cost of this compulsion is cheaper than Ducktales on its own
nowadays.

Grief.exe

I suspect this is more targeted at people who have sold their games, their nes...or their old tv.

Putting a nes through the rf port on a modern tv doesn't look great.

It's very pricey and an involved process to get your old games looking crisp on a modern display.

I dove off the cliff myself, but the vast vast majority of people will prefer the port.

I suspect this is more targeted at people who have sold their games, their nes...or their old tv.

Putting a nes through the rf port on a modern tv doesn't look great.
It's interesting to have but yeah I had dt on nes a few years back as well as rescue. Feel the best way to play was always crt. Will be a good sale or amazing plus title though

andymcc

Banned
It's interesting to have but yeah I had dt on nes a few years back as well as rescue. Feel the best way to play was always crt. Will be a good sale or amazing plus title though

It's $20. That's like a tenth of the price of ducktales 2. It would be a good value at $29.99.

And ducktales 2 is worth $20 alone. I love that game.

It's very pricey and an involved process to get your old games looking crisp on a modern display.

I dove off the cliff myself, but the vast vast majority of people will prefer the port.

Yeah, I think you'd need like a nes rgb mod and a framemeister for the best picture? Very expensive combo.

Tigerfog

I wonder if they can do without the slowdowns in the games (if that's what they want to preserve).
In Chip and Dale 1 and DuckTales 1, it was particularly distracting. It makes timing jumps hard when everything slows down after taking damage and blinking.

This isn't MegaMan X or Zero collection. Nobody wants this.

Yeah you are right, no one wants a collection of two of the most highly revered NES games of all time and their incredibly hard to obtain sequels based on popular cartoons from the early 90s, absolutely NO ONE!

TheYanger

Wait, Darkwing Duck was a NES game!? Damn, I had no idea the show aired that far back.

It was a fairly late era NES game, but it was FANTASTIC. I remember being unable to beat it for a long time. Think I finally did, but I'm not positive. Stupid Steelbeak.

Tansut

Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers 2 I guess. I remember it being very easy but it''s been years since I played it.

Ducktales 2 is better then the first one imo
I rented Ducktales 2 and all I can remember is being a little disappointed in it. It was fun but it struck me as shorter and/or easier than the first.

adj_noun

Between this and the Duck Tales reboot, my secret yet burning hope of a complete Disney Afternoon renaissance RISES FURTHER!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Are you guys planning to wait for the physical release or will you guys get the physical version?

Sweet collection. Wonder why they don't include more games like Darkwing Duck though. I seem to remember him being on the Disney Afternoon. Too bad, I guess. Chip n' Dale was fun, but I never played the second one. Hold up, they made a second Ducktales, too?

linkboy

Sweet collection. Wonder why they don't include more games like Darkwing Duck though. I seem to remember him being on the Disney Afternoon. Too bad, I guess. Chip n' Dale was fun, but I never played the second one. Hold up, they made a second Ducktales, too?

Darkwing Duck is in the game.

It's the following games

Darkwing Duck
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers 2
Ducktales
Ducktales 2
Tale Spin

@MUWANdo

Banned
This is neat, but a little before my time.

I would be all over a collection of Aladdin (both versions) and Lion King.

You're never going to get a compilation of mixed-developer Disney games, but it's possible that they might put out a 16-bit Capcom Disney collection with the three Magical Quest games, SNES Aladdin, Goof Troop and Bonkers.

What type of hardware do these run on, or better yet because it isn't out, what did the MegaMan collection require? Would handhelds based on Intel Atom handle these or is there a lot of overhead on the emulation trying to preserve accuracy? Seem like amazing candidates.

Top Bottom