• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S4 |OT| I Remember When This Show Was About Community College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

I was really really missing Duncan from season 3 and 4. MAN am I psyched that he's back ! Everything seems to be falling into place for this show to get back to season 1-2 level of greatness. Yes, Chevy is gone and so is Troy for most of the episodes, but still, I want to believe that this season will be great.

Have they said how many episodes there will be ?

Harmon keeps saying 13

Xelis

Really excited for Season 5, only 2 drawbacks are the lack of Donald Glover and only 13 episodes. Everything else seems to be falling into place, Chevy's gone, Harmon's back and Jonathan Banks is guest staring. Duncan coming back is a nice bonus too.

inm8num2

Really excited for Season 5, only 2 drawbacks are the lack of Donald Glover and only 13 episodes. Everything else seems to be falling into place, Chevy's gone, Harmon's back and Jonathan Banks is guest staring. Duncan coming back is a nice bonus too.

Troy had a reduced presence in season 4 and quite frankly I don't remember him doing anything other than the Freaky Friday break-up with Brita.

I like his character, don't get me wrong, but I don't think the show will suffer from his absence. It'll open up new dynamics for Abed, too.

Duncan is back? Cant wait for Harmon and the writers to explain his sudden disappearance. Also, yay, he was awesome side character in Community.

Mariolee

Hm, I think my favourite episode, and a genuinely good one in communityness, was the german episode.

Of this season, or the foosball one last season? I honestly liked both of them a lot. One has an awesome montage of decrepit study rooms, the other has an anime sequence.

markot

Banned
Season 4. The other german one was great too.

Germans make terrible comedians, but they seem to make for great episodes, just look at fawlty towers!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iSyry1HTy46jq.png

Interesting. Especially since Sony always complained about him spending too much.

Elija2

iSyry1HTy46jq.png

Interesting. Especially since Sony always complained about him spending too much.

Oh, the irony.

But wait, does that mean that the first three seasons weren't over budget? Then what the hell were Sony complaining about? And how low was Season 4's budget? No outdoor shots or crazy paintball episodes and they still go over budget?

Lijik

iSyry1HTy46jq.png

To be fair doesnt the budget for this show shrink every year? I mean, Season 4 could look awfully cheap at times, Im actually a little surprised they found a way to go overbudget.

Oh, the irony.

But wait, does that mean that the first three seasons weren't over budget? Then what the hell were Sony complaining about? And how low was Season 4's budget? No outdoor shots or crazy paintball episodes and they still go over budget?

I don't know much about how these budgets work exactly but I'd assume the track the budget per episode filmed. So Harmon could have been going over a projected budget early on and then coming in way under budget for episodes filmed later, ending up under the season budget overall.

Of this season, or the foosball one last season? I honestly liked both of them a lot. One has an awesome montage of decrepit study rooms, the other has an anime sequence.

The one from season 4 was one of the best of the whole damn thing. Not that that was too difficult however...

Looking back on it, the best of Season 4 are middling episodes in any other season and the worst episodes are, well, the worst of the whole bunch. Glad to see Harmon and Duncan back, sad to see Glover on his way out though.

beat

I don't know much about how these budgets work exactly but I'd assume the track the budget per episode filmed. So Harmon could have been going over a projected budget early on and then coming in way under budget for episodes filmed later, ending up under the season budget overall.

That's partly why they ended up doing budget-saving episodes late in the season: to save money and get the total season budget back on track.

Oh, the irony.

Probably nerves--They see the budget spiral out of control early in the season and go calling Harmon. and for good reason.

Also puppets are expensive to make.

Murrah

Banned
The one from season 4 was one of the best of the whole damn thing. Not that that was too difficult however...

Looking back on it, the best of Season 4 are middling episodes in any other season and the worst episodes are, well, the worst of the whole bunch. Glad to see Harmon and Duncan back, sad to see Glover on his way out though.

I dunno about that. Freaky Friday episode would probably make it in to my top 10 episodes of the show. And at worst I'd say it was way better than majority of season 3 and the worst of season 2 hands down. Jim Rash is amazing, he really got what makes the show so special

Everything else though was yeah the worst of Community

Goldrush

Just binge through the entire series for the first time. Man, I'm completely in love with the show.

Got to say, I'm glad I didn't read up on the drama surrounding the show until now. I can't imagine watching the show knowing the animosity with Chevy Chase. Knowing the drama would make a lot of scene with Pierce, especially in Season 2, hard to watch.

Also have to say that I didn't notice the change in showrunner. Judging by the last few pages, though, I seems to be the only one that liked the 4th season more than the 3rd. Kind of felt that the 3rd was too epic and fantastic.

Also have to say that I didn't notice the change in showrunner. Judging by the last few pages, though, I seems to be the only one that liked the 4th season more than the 3rd. Kind of felt that the 3rd was too epic and fantastic.

You got at least one other person in your corner. I hated Season 3. I really didn't like 2 or 4 either but 3 killed it for me. Took me months to get through S4. Now the first season, that's what I like. If somehow we could get a season like that again I would be insanely happy.

GWX

Season 1 is the best, overall. I watched two random episodes from the first season yesterday, and it's still freaking awesome. I think I watched the entire show four times or so :lol

Tecl0n

Just binge through the entire series for the first time. Man, I'm completely in love with the show.

Got to say, I'm glad I didn't read up on the drama surrounding the show until now. I can't imagine watching the show knowing the animosity with Chevy Chase. Knowing the drama would make a lot of scene with Pierce, especially in Season 2, hard to watch.

There are more of us than you think. Though, in my case S3=S4.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There are more of us than you think. Though, in my case S3=S4.
I agree. Even though the 4th was just new people basically emulating the original, I thought they got it pretty good. I wish Dan would give an honest opinion on it. I'd hate to think he hated it out of spite. I watched with the commentary and they had recorded it before Dan was hired back. The new showrunners seemed very excited to have the opportunity and probably would have happily done season 5 if asked to. Similarly, the season 3 commentaries had Dan talking about how excited he was for season 4 being picked up as it was recorded right before he was kicked out.

I don't get the hate for 4. I can understand dislike because it's not Harmon, but they did a pretty good job keeping to season 3's feel. And the characters were still there.

I am excited for 5 because it's missing a character, will be losing another, and Mike from BrBa is in it. Plus Harmon promised it would knock our socks off. Well, NBC. Here I am, my body is ready for Dan Harmon to knock my socks off. Now please cancel something so we can get a return date already.

gabbo

I agree. Even though the 4th was just new people basically emulating the original, I thought they got it pretty good. I wish Dan would give an honest opinion on it. I'd hate to think he hated it out of spite. I watched with the commentary and they had recorded it before Dan was hired back. The new showrunners seemed very excited to have the opportunity and probably would have happily done season 5 if asked to. Similarly, the season 3 commentaries had Dan talking about how excited he was for season 4 being picked up as it was recorded right before he was kicked out.

I don't get the hate for 4. I can understand dislike because it's not Harmon, but they did a pretty good job keeping to season 3's feel. And the characters were still there.

I am excited for 5 because it's missing a character, will be losing another, and Mike from BrBa is in it. Plus Harmon promised it would knock our socks off. Well, NBC. Here I am, my body is ready for Dan Harmon to knock my socks off. Now please cancel something so we can get a return date already.

For me, there were moments of brilliance in season 4, that moved everyone (even Pierce) along their character arcs and the usual coupling of humanity/goofy humour. There just happened to be too much wheel spinning going on for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom