• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S4 |OT| I Remember When This Show Was About Community College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Just binge through the entire series for the first time. Man, I'm completely in love with the show.

Got to say, I'm glad I didn't read up on the drama surrounding the show until now. I can't imagine watching the show knowing the animosity with Chevy Chase. Knowing the drama would make a lot of scene with Pierce, especially in Season 2, hard to watch.

Also have to say that I didn't notice the change in showrunner. Judging by the last few pages, though, I seems to be the only one that liked the 4th season more than the 3rd. Kind of felt that the 3rd was too epic and fantastic.

Agreed. Sorta. I feel like the first half of Season 3 was far better than the latter. Season 4 for me was far more consistent and actually went somewhere with its story and had direction.

Here's my rating for the seasons:

1=2>3>4>3.5

I agree. Even though the 4th was just new people basically emulating the original, I thought they got it pretty good. I wish Dan would give an honest opinion on it. I'd hate to think he hated it out of spite. I watched with the commentary and they had recorded it before Dan was hired back. The new showrunners seemed very excited to have the opportunity and probably would have happily done season 5 if asked to. Similarly, the season 3 commentaries had Dan talking about how excited he was for season 4 being picked up as it was recorded right before he was kicked out.

I don't get the hate for 4. I can understand dislike because it's not Harmon, but they did a pretty good job keeping to season 3's feel. And the characters were still there.

I am excited for 5 because it's missing a character, will be losing another, and Mike from BrBa is in it. Plus Harmon promised it would knock our socks off. Well, NBC. Here I am, my body is ready for Dan Harmon to knock my socks off. Now please cancel something so we can get a return date already.

I don't get the hate either. I would do 2 > 1 > 3 >> 4 but even then 4 wasn't bad. I just think they had a lot to deal with in a shorter amount of time, on top of losing Chevy like halfway through when I assume they had already written the parts for him.

They stretched the season out too far. I would've preferred if it kind of stuck towards the 'semester' feeling, where the half season we got would've been the fall semester with Jeff graduating but we kinda got a weird mix of a whole year it seems (unless the show timeline was off?)

Heroic Orgins, The Puppet one, and the body switching episodes were the strongest of the 13, and some of the better in the series actually. (The inspecter con one, while being weaker, was highly enjoyable to me for some reason).

Agreed. Sorta. I feel like the first half of Season 3 was far better than the latter.

Can't relate to that at all. Episodes 15-22 of season 3 is my favorite sequence of episodes in the entire series.

Origins of Vampire Mythology
Virtual Systems Analysis
Basic Lupine Urology
Course Listing Unavailable
Curriculum Unavailable
Digital Estate Planning
The First Chang Dynasty
Introduction to Finality

Bolded high points of the series. I also really enjoyed the beginning of the season up to Regional Holiday Music, especial Remedial Chaos Theory and the Foosball episode.

Episodes 11-14 are just so bad though I think they ruin season 3 for a lot of people. 11 being the worst episode of the series. Cut those episodes out and it becomes a fantastic season. As it is, it can only be called inconsistent with a lot of brilliance. With time to consider, season 4 is just consistently mediocre. The only episode I might feel like watching is the one where Jeff meets his dad.

Goldrush

Can't relate to that at all. Episodes 15-22 of season 3 is my favorite sequence of episodes in the entire series.

Virtual Systems Analysis
Basic Lupine Urology
Curriculum Unavailable
Digital Estate Planning
The First Chang Dynasty
Introduction to Finality

This is probably one of my problem with Season 3. There are only two episodes in that list that is about college life/study and one of them is a parody. I know that the title of the thread hints that it is a problem throughout the whole series, but it was more noticeable to me during Season 3.

Mariolee

Virtual Systems Analysis
Basic Lupine Urology
Curriculum Unavailable
Digital Estate Planning
The First Chang Dynasty
Introduction to Finality

Bolded high points of the series. I also really enjoyed the beginning of the season up to Regional Holiday Music, especial Remedial Chaos Theory and the Foosball episode.

Episodes 11-14 are just so bad though I think they ruin season 3 for a lot of people. 11 being the worst episode of the series. Cut those episodes out and it becomes a fantastic season. As it is, it can only be called inconsistent with a lot of brilliance. With time to consider, season 4 is just consistently mediocre. The only episode I might feel like watching is the one where Jeff meets his dad.

I legitimately did not enjoy the craziness towards the end of that season with Chang. I mean, I still enjoyed it, but as much as they hate it, Community works the best when they actually have classes and have school-oriented stuff. In Season 2, they sparingly went outside of the college, and so when they did it felt special.

Individually, the episodes are entertaining, but as I was watching the season go on it just felt like the focus and momentum of the series as a whole was just completely lost.

beat

Got to say, I'm glad I didn't read up on the drama surrounding the show until now. I can't imagine watching the show knowing the animosity with Chevy Chase. Knowing the drama would make a lot of scene with Pierce, especially in Season 2, hard to watch.
My opinion, knowing that stuff made Celebrity Pharmacology that much more awesome. It was literally a story about Chevy taking over a show and forcing his somewhat dissonant sense of humor into it to the point where it overwhelmed what they were trying to do.

I legitimately did not enjoy the craziness towards the end of that season with Chang. I mean, I still enjoyed it, but as much as they hate it, Community works the best when they actually have classes and have school-oriented stuff.

Fair enough on the school-oriented stuff. But if any of those episodes I bolded were on tv right now, I'd be running to go watch them. I wouldn't want the whole series to be like that, I wouldn't even want the next season to be like that, but it's still my favorite run of the series.

670px-Digital_Estate_Planning.png

tumblr_md92gn9jcT1r1i0nuo1_500.png

Also, those episodes are less about Chang than you might remember. 5 of the 8 are about something totally different, 1 is a fake clip show that works on its own. Only 2 of the 8 are about "Chang craziness" (and I thought Chang Dynasty was fun, though not nearly as good as the ones I bolded).

AniHawk

Curriculum Unavailable is a fantastic episode.

Troy and the ATV made me lose my shit. "It's all terrain dummy"

do you often indulge him on these little misadventures?
you take that back! our adventures are very manly.

i never got that troy heard "miss adventures" until someone pointed it out to me.

I loved Season 3, definitely a couple of duds in there, but it's good stretches of episodes were fantastic and it really struck a lot of the themes that I think the show does best (particularly with it's heavier focus on Abed and Annie).

beat

Anyone want to buy my ticket for CommuniCon 2 for $40? It'll be Oct 19th and 20th in LA. There'll be panels by writers, secondary char actors, and Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna. You can also buy tickets online now, but they're $50.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Season 5 is gonna bum me out so much. R.I.P. Troy and Abed in the morning :(
If the season were longer they could do a South Park style audition every week with a different side character filling in for Troy. With Chang desperately trying to get the position. Chang and Abed in the Morning could be funny.

gabbo

If the season were longer they could do a South Park style audition every week with a different side character filling in for Troy. With Chang desperately trying to get the position. Chang and Abed in the Morning could be funny.

Annie and Abed is the obvious go-to while this is happening.

Wow. How is Harmon doing this? Like it seems this season will be packed with great guest stars
AND JOHN OLIVER!

Like where was all this last season?

Mariolee

Wow. How is Harmon doing this? Like it seems this season will be packed with great guest stars
AND JOHN OLIVER!

Like where was all this last season?

I dunno, I liked the guy from Workaholics. And Josh Brolin's dad! And Brian from the Office! I...can't really remember anyone else. OH, there was the British guy who played the twins in Alice in Wonderland.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Malcom McDowell was probably the best guest star, and he was only in 2 episodes. :/

Edit: Actually, looking at the guest star list for last season, it's not half bad.

Guest stars
Jason Alexander as Mountain Man ("Intro to Felt Surrogacy")
Sara Bareilles as Balloon Guide ("Intro to Felt Surrogacy")
James Brolin as William Winger, Sr. ("Cooperative Escapism In Familial Relations")
Adam DeVine as William Winger, Jr. ("Cooperative Escapism In Familial Relations")
Chris Diamantopoulos as Reinhold ("Alternative History of the German Invasion")
Giancarlo Esposito as Gilbert Lawson ("Paranormal Parentage")
Jennie Garth (uncredited) as the American Inspector Spacetime's ensign/companion ("Conventions of Space and Time")
Sophie B. Hawkins as herself ("Herstory of Dance")
Tricia Helfer as Lauren ("Conventions of Space and Time")
Brie Larson as Rachel ("Herstory of Dance")
Matt Lucas as Toby ("Conventions of Space and Time")
Luke Perry (uncredited) as American Inspector Spacetime ("Conventions of Space and Time")
Fred Willard as Alter-Pierce ("History 101")

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's stuff like that that makes me want NBC to grant them a 6th season. (Ignoring the obvious joke) Since Harmon is back and determined to surprise everyone.

Just give us a damn return date, NBC. It's almost October 19th again!

It's stuff like that that makes me want NBC to grant them a 6th season. (Ignoring the obvious joke) Since Harmon is back and determined to surprise everyone.

Just give us a damn return date, NBC. It's almost October 19th again!

I wouldn't be shocked.

Hell, we've all been saying for years that "this is the last Parks & Rec season" and it's still around.

I dunno, I liked the guy from Workaholics. And Josh Brolin's dad! And Brian from the Office! I...can't really remember anyone else. OH, there was the British guy who played the twins in Alice in Wonderland.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Malcom McDowell was probably the best guest star, and he was only in 2 episodes. :/

Edit: Actually, looking at the guest star list for last season, it's not half bad.

Good point. I guess I kinda forgot about them all. I guess I kinda get that way with Season 4.

Also: BRING BACK BRIE LARSON >=[

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Also: BRING BACK BRIE LARSON >=[
I tweeted this to Dan. I don't think he'll listen though.

I guess Rachel was just another girl for Abed they make a big deal out of then never have her on again.

On another note, I'm pretty sure the girl who played Kat was uncredited in a couple episodes of The Office as one of Dwight's farmer family members. But since she and most of them were uncredited, I can't be sure.

Lijik

I wouldn't be shocked.

Hell, we've all been saying for years that "this is the last Parks & Rec season" and it's still around.

To be fair, "This is the last season of X" could be said for any NBC thursday sitcom the past like seven years that wasnt the Office. I remember worrying about 30 Rock not getting renewed for like four seasons straight. I think I only stopped because my sentiments shifted towards worrying about Community instead :lol

gabbo

What about my boy Todd?

Todd and Abed in the mooorning!!!

Don't like Todd?

No offence taken.....
Abed doesn't need Todd's PTSD kicking in whenever Jeff gets angry at them for doing their non-show.
Annie's the smart choice for Troy's replacement.

Dereck

I'm looking for a gif

I believe it's Donald Glover dancing while in between like 4 guys in a hallway, and then he stops dancing and keeps walking. Don't even know if it's from Community, but I thought you guys could help me out.

To be fair, "This is the last season of X" could be said for any NBC thursday sitcom the past like seven years that wasnt the Office. I remember worrying about 30 Rock not getting renewed for like four seasons straight. I think I only stopped because my sentiments shifted towards worrying about Community instead :lol

Very true, but based on last night's ratings (nothing for NBC hit a 2 in the ratings), they still face the same situation.

Speaking of which, Welcome to the Family is DOA. Schedule Community there! #SixSeasonsandaMovie

Mariolee

Oh shit Community moved up would also put it in the position of getting a back 9!

#october19th!

Idk though, they just started filming a few months ago. Would the episodes be too rushed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom