• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot, 4 screenshots

AGoodODST

I don't usually like the look of Crash but his face running from the boulder is pretty funny.

Do we know if this game is PS exclusive yet?

Hey, 1 in 8 people who originally owned a PSX to play this!

How do you feel about an entire production company diverting its funds to remaking a good, but not legendary game?

_Rob_

How do you feel about an entire production company diverting its funds to remaking a good, but not legendary game?

Great! There are very few games that appeal to me these days, my taste is quite narrow. As such to see anything happening with one of my favourites, even if it is a remake instead of a sequel, is fantastic. It's probably selfish, but I'd much rather they fund something like this over the next big budget shooter.

Feels good. Crash looks amazing. I loved it as a kid and this somehow is even getting my big sister into playing games again so thats awesome

Muninn

Banned
Great! There are very few games that appeal to me these days, my taste is quite narrow. As such to see anything happening with one of my favourites, even if it is a remake instead of a sequel, is fantastic. It's probably selfish, but I'd much rather they fund something like this over the next big budget shooter.

Honestly, I think it is better that these are remakes of proven games hehe.

Probably better than you do shitposting on gaming forums to make yourself feel better about your own poopy tastes.

Also yeah lol @ this, frankly deluded, idea that Crash isn't a series with a pretty great pedigree and large following. It comes directly from the asses of people who I guess are just mad they didn't play them first?

raw

silva1991

Crash Bandicoot trilogy (plus racing) is like the definition of legendary when it comes to PS1 games.

Easily. Eevry one was playing it back where I came from. I can't even think of anyone I know who didn't play at least one Crahs game.

Crash >>>>>>>>>>FF7 and MGS1.

I seriously cannot wait to play this, it looks so good.

Looking forward to Crash 3: Warped screens and gameplay especially.
Seeing some of my favourite levels like Future Frenzy, Tomb Wader and the jet ski levels remastered should be a treat!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we know if this game is PS exclusive yet?

It's likely a temporary exclusive (12 months would be my guess) as Acti alone is publishing the compilation, it owns the games as well as the IP, and Crash Team Racing -- the only Crash game Acti doesn't own -- is conspicuously absent.

Ahasverus

First of all, they're legendary. You're first sentence kinda says it itself.

Secondly, a great remake of a game that could be better is always more welcome than tampering with an immaculate classic at risk of ruining it.

Awesome level themes, replayability with the gems and shit, fun motorcycle/jet ski/tiger levels (though this is apparently a negative in GAF's book), got rid of a lot of the jank from the earlier games. and cool shit like a bazooka. Also has one of the best theme songs of the era.

My problem with Crash 3 was the fact that around 50% of the game wasn't doing any platforming with Crash. Like, people complained about Jak II having too much vehicle and shooting things, but the game has a higher platforming to not platforming ratio than Crash 3.

I did really enjoy the platforming parts, and Tomb Wader is one of my favourite levels in the series.

Anyway, these screenshots look awesome.

Yukinari

Every thread without fail. Can we just rewrite history if people honestly believe Crash wasnt legendary?

Tizoc

Man I hope this releases soon.
As I wrote in the other crash thread- Offer the option to play the game as close to the originals as possible and add extra modes that alter the way the stages are played, like how Crash riding Polar has you moving TOWARDS the screen as opposed to running from it.

Sony owns the publishing rights to the OG trilogy too, not only CTR

bless up

Hey man I rocked a JP Crash avatar months ago. Still have it saved on my HDD. Will switch to it once the game gets released ;D

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not?

VR for 3D platformers is actually a pretty great idea, since it helps mitigating one of the major issues with the genre that is the lack of clear, unambiguous depth cues when jumping.

Also, having a static viewport with constant elements (like the main character) is pretty much the best way to experience VR, with much less risk of motion sickness.

This looks really great. I didn't give a shit about a Crash reboot/remake/whatever, but now that I'm seeing these screens, I'm getting pretty fucking nostalgic.

Day one.

Tizoc

VR for 3D platformers is actually a pretty great idea, since it helps mitigating one of the major issues with the genre that is the lack of clear, unambiguous depth cues when jumping.

Also, having a static viewport with constant elements (like the main character) is pretty much the best way to experience VR, with much less risk of motion sickness.

Jumping Flash on PSOne was kinda like VR Platforming.
Then again my understanding of VR is seeing verything in a first person view perspective :V

Retro_Stew

Yeah, this demo is the perfect example of what a Crash Bandicoot would look in VR, and it just feels AWESOME :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypgFDQ3zWio

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I mean before GAF, I would have never guessed it was the most hated in the trilogy. I'd say besides the overabundance of vehicle levels, the game was a great follow up to Cortex Strikes Back. The new moves like the Tornado Spin, Bazooka and Double-Jump were fantastic additions to the franchise. Warped also introduced Time Trials and Relics which added great stage replayability. The hate for 3 is huuugely overblown on here.

Two thirds of the level are absolute turds, all the racing levels (with vehicles) and everything Coco is just horrible. Especially the wakeboarding junk. The difficulty outside the time attacks is absurdely low and the level design is not half as tight as in the predecessors. Crash 3 is far, far worse in every gameplay-relevant sense imaginable than either of its predecessors.

What I am worried a bit about is how invisible the shadow of Crash is. Shadows are exceedingly important in platformers!

I do hope this sells so amazingly well that they get to work on crash 4, while also increasing the budget by a ton and not messing it up all at the same time.

It will be hard for someone to just stick to the formula without feeling they need to go open world or add in other tidbits that aren't needed though but I really want to see a game push visuals and budget in this genre.

_Rob_

I do hope this sells so amazingly well that they get to work on crash 4, while also increasing the budget by a ton and not messing it up all at the same time.

It will be hard for someone to just stick to the formula without feeling they need to go open world or add in other tidbits that aren't needed though but I really want to see a game push visuals and budget in this genre.

Agreed, hopefully they understand why Wrath of Cortex failed.

However, alternatively they could finish Twinsanity that would work for me. Besides the obvious shortcomings, it felt like the closest we ever got to a proper evolution for Crash.

breath taking ! looks alot better then some of the prototype footage we have seen ....

so whats the cheapest place to pre order this ? i see Base dot com have a decent price on it - not based in the EU or US tho ......

Rellik

Have you looked at the PS Classics charts in recent years? Every single month without fail, Crash 1, Crash 2, Crash 3 and CTR occupy the top 4 spots. They've been there for years. But keep pretending no one cares about Crash and that it's not legendary.

Top Bottom