• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Assault Thread: Get Cross, taste Salt (SFxT Reality Show)

Lulubop

Despite all the drama, I think Cross Assault did a good job of selling the game. At least to me, I'm really excited to get my hands on it and watch top players at it as well.

jbug617

Banned
After NEC people asked him to not call it the "Rape Cam" and he stopped, however at Winter Brawl everybody called it the "Rape Cam" and he said that not the name anymore.

I guess the overall message Art is trying to say in his tweets is that it's no longer just games and it's more like a business.

Their shitting on Art made them all look very bitter about not being able to make that extra money.

Basically it all comes down to this and you can't blame Jago and Mike Ross for being "mad" about it. It's as if a very good friend of yours made you lose a good stream of revenue just for a laugh. Arturo didn't even get anything valuable out of it, it's not as if he was running $1K worth of ads during that car stream. Totally pointless.

And reading his latest tweets, Arturo has realized that and he probably won't do it again, it's not just fun and games anymore, there's quite some money on the line. And if your harmless prank will make your friends miss out on good money, you can bet they'll get angry at you.

Basically it all comes down to this and you can't blame Jago and Mike Ross for being "mad" about it. It's as if a very good friend of yours made you lose a good stream of revenue just for a laugh. Arturo didn't even get anything valuable out of it, it's not as if he was running $1K worth of ads during that car stream. Totally pointless.

And reading his latest tweets, Arturo has realized that and he probably won't do it again, it's not just fun and games anymore, there's quite some money on the line. And if your harmless prank will make your friends miss out on good money, you can bet they'll get angry at you.

Pretty much this

d0c_zaius

someone saw posts here and tweeted it to @thisislijoe "my man now ur getting put on blast by the ppls at neogaf this is getting insane man"

"@thisislijoe bahh typical forums fools... I'm As real as they come my dude"

haha damn, now even us just putting stuff down is getting tweeted to these people. I'm a typical forum fool :(

Well if you read this LI joe, or your friend does, please tell him that before this mess he was just a cool player. Now hes really making himself look bad, and he should just dial back his hopes and desires to be a super fighting game personalty guy. Its like someone viewing an accident and trying to turn it into a movie career.

I feel guilty as I watched his first stream, as Im sure many people did because we just wanted more info. Its like after a disaster and people watch anything about it.

Well maybe he spins this into focusing on the positive. It would be bad to constantly search or drum up controversy to generate site hits.

Actually its hard to think of anyone coming away looking "good" after all of this. Except for most of the actual cast of the show.

K.Sabot

I honestly think it's not right that Mike Ross vs Jago was a $1000 match fabricated on a lie.

I hope in the future that exhibition matches or invite tournaments are predicated on skill and placements and not on phony publicity to make money.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So I guess it's time to stop cheering for Team SF and cheer for Team NJ. It's going to be an interesting weekend.

Thanks to all the people involved with the show. I was entertained.

The show really helped blow up GAF FGC too.

Tomorrow, eer today is Big Two. Triforce is supposedly going to be there. Watch him still talk about Barfights. LOL.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

I'd honestly be kind of glad if Gootecks' get rich quick schemes took a hit.

I never cared for the idea of Barfights: an invite-only exhibition match between known players for the benefit of stream monsters and some extra scratch for the organizers, and nothing else. He described it as a tournament without the "fluff," going straight to the matches that "people want to see." I honestly think that's kind of insulting to any unknown player grinding it out in the hopes of making themselves known at a major.

But like they say, it ain't about that playing anymore...

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I honestly think it's not right that Mike Ross vs Jago was a $1000 match fabricated on a lie.

I hope in the future that exhibition matches or invite tournaments are predicated on skill and placements and not on phony publicity to make money.

But the exhibition matches were just matches between top players, its not like they were ALL grudge matches and Ross/Jago was the only fraudulent one.

K.Sabot

But the exhibition matches were just matches between top players, its not like they were ALL grudge matches and Ross/Jago was the only fraudulent one.

Not saying they were all pointless and fraudulent, but I'm sad to see Capcom promote a lie, make it their main event, and worst of all put money into the "hype".

It's hard to argue against that, especially when you take in consideration the actual quality of their two sets against each other. It couldn't be anymore one-sided and certainly not "worthy" of $1K if you compare it what the amount of skills required for players to earn the same amount in a real tournament. Then again, people got hype over that, they loved the pre show banter/interviews. So in terms of popularity, it probably was up there just thanks to the players' personality.

I never cared for the idea of Barfights: an invite-only exhibition match between known players for the benefit of stream monsters and some extra scratch for the organizers, and nothing else. He described it as a tournament without the "fluff," going straight to the matches that "people want to see." I honestly think that's kind of insulting to any unknown player grinding it out in the hopes of making themselves known at a major.

I hear you there even though it's a different debate. I do think we'll see more and more overhyped exhibition matches because they seem to be pretty popular. I'm guessing a few people did buy the Barfights DVD.

Jago vs Ross might have been a $3K match at EVO at that rate so it's understandable they are ruing missed opportunities. I don't doubt Gootecks and Mike Ross will get over it quickly though.

I agree with you on this. I had a long ass post typed, but maybe for later.

I don't agree with what it seems like they want to do to advance the scene.

I personally hate the fake WWE beef stuff.

The star of the show should be the gameplay, not the fake hype.

To me, Wong/Daigo is a "real" rivalry. Just based on gameplay though, the competition and seeing them both want to win and meeting in finals so much. Daigo is bland as they get. People still watch him play. Have jago/ross every played late in a tourney or had a great match? Like they say, rivals are made in the playoffs, not the regular season.

People want to see high level play, not fake beef played out (even if the matches are played out for real) as least I think they do.

what do I know though, maybe I am not the target of what these guys are trying to do with the hype stuff.

They tried to pull the wool over people's eyes for their profit. Yes, I know most smart people saw through it, but still.

I'm rambling, sorry guys.

Don't worry Art, I got ya back :)

jbug617

Banned
There is nothing wrong with having events like Bar Fights. Bar Fights 2 was great, it was Empire VS West Coast and that was great. I'm not really into the trash talk that recently has talking over but it's kinda easy to see what trash talk is real and what is fake.

SUPARSTARX

Capcom putting in 500k into FGC is huge. It's a great start.

If these games sell more and better, I want to see them match up Valve and Riot games dumping millions into their tournament seasons.

Let's take this thing globally!

There is nothing wrong with having events like Bar Fights. Bar Fights 2 was great, it was Empire VS West Coast and that was great. I'm not really into the trash talk that recently has talking over but it's kinda easy to see what trash talk is real and what is fake.

If it's so easy to see, why are they irked that Art "outed" them? On some level they thought they were super clever about it and nobody could see if it was real or fake?

If it's so easy to see, why are they irked that Art "outed" them? On some level they thought they were super clever about it and nobody could see if it was real or fake?

It seems to be more on a trust issue than Mike or Andre really giving a fuck. And I see their point too. Art has seen the errors of his ways and we'll move forward.

I agree with you on this. I had a long ass post typed, but maybe for later.

I don't agree with what it seems like they want to do to advance the scene.

I personally hate the fake WWE beef stuff.

The star of the show should be the gameplay, not the fake hype.

To me, Wong/Daigo is a "real" rivalry. Just based on gameplay though, the competition and seeing them both want to win and meeting in finals so much. Daigo is bland as they get. People still watch him play. Have jago/ross every played late in a tourney or had a great match? Like they say, rivals are made in the playoffs, not the regular season.

People want to see high level play, not fake beef played out (even if the matches are played out for real) as least I think they do.

what do I know though, maybe I am not the target of what these guys are trying to do with the hype stuff.

They tried to pull the wool over people's eyes for their profit. Yes, I know most smart people saw through it, but still.

I'm rambling, sorry guys.

Don't worry Art, I got ya back :)

Pretty much. Daigo and Wong have a real rivalry. Do they hate each other? Fuck no. Do they talk shit to each other? No. Their gameplay created that rivalry because of how good they are and how they meet up very late in tournaments. There have been a lot of clutch moments between them 2. Now Mike Ross and Jago? 5-0? Why the fuck would I want to watch them play? Mike will win SF based games and Jago would win Marvel.

When Daigo and Sako first played in the ft3 Gods Garden online. Shit was hype as fuck. It got like 14k viewers at like 4 am in the morning. They had no beef. All they had was their legendary careers. People ate that shit up.

Let's focus on the gameplay. If there's a real beef, fine. But don't fake it.

Looks like we'll have to stick to Japan for legit competitive gaming (as of now).

I'm all for letting gameplay be the focus of streams and not drama.

But in the weeks after Noel Brown punched Smoothviper, The Break got a big jump in numbers.

People do love that shit.

Well, now I have a trust issue with any matches or hype coming from them!

:)

Mike and Andre were playing it up for the showmanship but those 2 are competitors first and I find it hard to believe that they'd throw matches for the sake of that no matter what was on the line.

But in the weeks after Noel Brown punched Smoothviper, The Break got a big jump in numbers.

This is a different age for the FGC. It will never be 100% about the fight ever again. What you seek has to be from a personal standpoint. If you want to focus on the fight and none of the other shit then you're on your own. This week has proved that the community is going in some direction. Where it ends up is anybody's guess.

But that was real anger that got out of hand. Unless you are telling me it was staged now, lol.

Then that poor Samba de Amigo machine payed a heavy price for such a deep troll.

sleepykyo

Pretty much. Daigo and Wong have a real rivalry. Do they hate each other? Fuck no. Do they talk shit to each other? No. Their gameplay created that rivalry because of how good they are and how they meet up very late in tournaments. There have been a lot of clutch moments between them 2. Now Mike Ross and Jago? 5-0? Why the fuck would I want to watch them play? Mike will win SF based games and Jago would win Marvel.

When Daigo and Sako first played in the ft3 Gods Garden online. Shit was hype as fuck. It got like 14k viewers at like 4 am in the morning. They had no beef. All they had was their legendary careers. People ate that shit up.

Let's focus on the gameplay. If there's a real beef, fine. But don't fake it.

Looks like we'll have to stick to Japan for legit competitive gaming (as of now).

There's also Europe. In SC5 anyway. Actually Ryan Hart and/or Skatan Milla are still fun to watch.

Now maybe Mike Ross can go back to letting his play determine his popularity. There is a reason they were calling him fraud before him and Jago were outed.

But that was real anger that got out of hand. Unless you are telling me it was staged now, lol.

Then that poor Samba de Amigo machine payed a heavy price for such a deep troll.

Oh no, not saying anything like that. Just saying that rivalries and bad blood brings viewers.

I have no problem with manufacturing beefs as long as it's not transparent if it gets people more interested in watching good gameplay and great players.

Quick, someone call Fersis so we can manufacture a KOFXIII beef to blow it up.

Oh no, not saying anything like that. Just saying that rivalries and bad blood brings viewers.

I have no problem with manufacturing beefs as long as it's not transparent if it gets people more interested in watching good gameplay and great players.

Quick, someone call Fersis so we can manufacture a KOFXIII beef to blow it up.

Fair enough. Though, I'm not saying that rivalries and bad blood don't bring in viewers.

My stance is that rivalries/bad blood doesn't/shouldn't need to come from fake hype, they should come naturally through intense well played matches and through the pure competition and the will to win. I think it should be organic. From, players meeting up alot in finals and stuff like that.

Also, are you saying you want manufactured beef to be NOT transparent? So you want them to play it like it's real? To me, if they do go that route, they should be transparent about it and be like, this is for show. Just say it's fake wrestling.

BTW, I don't think I have ever seen a good well played/close/intense Ross/Jago match ever, TBH.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So I've missed some stuff recently, what happened since Arturo was about to stream? (What did he talk about, what did they counter with, why does no one love anyone anymore? I'm going back to Floe and FGTV, the community seems more love-in from those angles :( )

Edit:

Also GAF's community... I'm trying my hand at a new style of fighter for me (my first non street fighter I've ever seriously tried) with UMvC3 and GAFGC you are all lovely! I'd have ragequit long ago and gone back to only touching Street Fighter without you guys. If only one of you bastards had me on PS3 to give me advice! :( )

Pepto

Banned

But they had that internet warrior thing at the barfights. That unknown online grinder could have been there.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
But they had that internet warrior thing at the barfights. That unknown online grinder could have been there.
That's a really good point, actually. I just completely forgot about it since it was such an uneventful blow-up in the end. Whoops.

d0c_zaius

inkblot sums it up:

"The tragedy behind the Mike Ross vs. Jago setup is not the matches. Mike says that the matches were legitimate and I believe him 100%. But the rivalry was clearly manufactured. Mike Ross vs. Jago wasn’t about the competition. The competition was a farce — both matches were 5-0 beatdowns. It was about manipulating stream monsters to believe that they should care about something that was meaningless. Jago knew that when he said, “it aint about that playin’ anymore, it’s about the paper.” By playing up a fake rivalry, Mike Ross and Jago conned their way into a $1000 show match that they didn’t deserve, but worse they undercut the competitive spirit that drives the scene."

alstein

The FGC is the most egalitarian community in terms of getting your name across, which is one reason why I love it, despite this crap. Nearly any tourney in the country, I can sign my damn name up, and maybe I can't be the man, but I can beat the man. I may not be Ric Flair, but I can be Tommy Rich or Ronnie Garvin (two no-names who became World Champs in the 80s by beating Ric Flair). I've beaten the man a couple of times, though I've gotten my head kicked in most of the time.

The only event that compares is the WSOP, and that's a slightly different beast. That said, the WSOP has high rollers/invite tournies, and I see no problem with them. Japan has this as well, with stuff like Godsgarden. As long as the majors stay open tournies, I'm fine with other events existing.

I just wish the FGC grew up some. It often seems to reflect the forces in my life which drug me down personally in the past, and I used to act in that manner to my embarassment today.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I just wish the FGC grew up some.
This is how I feel. I still love fighting games, both playing them and watching them be played, but I could do without the idiocy that crops up sometimes.

And to me, being esports or not is more about running an event properly with a sane bracket, building on existing tournaments, and promoting diversity in games than being "raw".

SupaNaab

Really hoping Dr. Subzero wins the whole thing. He may be the crudest person outside of this entire show, but he came off as just a really genuinely funny guy. His saltmines interview was easily the best. I really just don't wanna see Nerdjosh take this for free though. I want some good fights.

I think the highlight of absurdity for me is that throughout the show Dr. Sub had been releasing nude photos of ex girlfriends (who are probably unaware) after everyone of his successes. So just minutes before giving Miranda all of his resurrection swag he had looked into the camera and basically said, "Release the porn". It gets more absurd when I saw that one gaming news site wrote a line about him giving Miranda all of his swag after she forfeited. They omitted anything else about him and portrayed him to their readers as an angel to the girl in distress. The man releasing nude photos throughout the entire show is being praised in sexual harassment articles.

inkblot sums it up:

"The tragedy behind the Mike Ross vs. Jago setup is not the matches. Mike says that the matches were legitimate and I believe him 100%. But the rivalry was clearly manufactured. Mike Ross vs. Jago wasn’t about the competition. The competition was a farce — both matches were 5-0 beatdowns. It was about manipulating stream monsters to believe that they should care about something that was meaningless. Jago knew that when he said, “it aint about that playin’ anymore, it’s about the paper.” By playing up a fake rivalry, Mike Ross and Jago conned their way into a $1000 show match that they didn’t deserve, but worse they undercut the competitive spirit that drives the scene."

People should read the whole article. It's a good read.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/29/back-to-basics-getting-beyond-the-drama/#disqus_thread

Really hoping Dr. Subzero wins the whole thing. He may be the crudest person outside of this entire show, but he came off as just a really genuinely funny guy. His saltmines interview was easily the best. I really just don't wanna see Nerdjosh take this for free though. I want some good fights.

I think the highlight of absurdity for me is that throughout the show Dr. Sub had been releasing nude photos of ex girlfriends (who are probably unaware) after everyone of his successes. So just minutes before giving Miranda all of his resurrection swag he had looked into the camera and basically said, "Release the porn". It gets more absurd when I saw that one gaming news site wrote a line about him giving Miranda all of his swag after she forfeited. They omitted anything else about him and portrayed him to their readers as an angel to the girl in distress. The man releasing nude photos throughout the entire show is being praised in sexual harassment articles.

Oh my. That's rich.

Top Bottom