• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek employee accurately answers interview question; gets shat on for no reason

Qassim

Come to think of it, how many console games has Crytek developed? Two? They're not used to working under a fixed ceiling for a few years.

Five.

Crysis
Crysis 2
Crysis 3
Warface (360)
Ryse

They've only developed 8 games total, and one of those is an iOS game.

Hermii

Holy crap, good find haha. Some people look pretty dumb right now.

They don't. They said they would like mimimum 8 gb. And they got much less than that. Its unprecedented for console OSes to take up this much ram, so they couldn't have guessed that at the time.

Tetranet

Considering what devs managed to achieve with 512MB, I have faith they'll create wonderful games with ~5GB.

Dat first post again.

And not only that, artistry and skill will always beat sheer numbers. We'll see incredible things this gen, regardless of what anyone claims.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Crytek, how about making some interesting games first instead of pushing mediocre graphics demos for more than 7 years?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'd think that the gpu/cpu would be the bigger bottlenecks?

klaus

They don't. They said they would like mimimum 8 gb. And they got much less than that. Its unprecedented for console OSes to take up this much ram, so they couldn't have guessed that at the time.

They do. Neuromancer was not pointing at Crytek ;)

Marvel

could never
Crytek, how about making some interesting games first instead of pushing mediocre graphics demos for more than 7 years?

ixFl0REHbCH61.gif

chto?

Daante

So Crytek,

I look at the specs and the RAM that PS3/360 had, some of the exclusive titels that actually where made on those consoles, the specs that PS4/XB1 have, and then i read things like this.

More power would obviously always be better, but until i see something from you on PS4/XB1 that i find way more impressive than last gens diamonds, statements like this are totally bullshit.

It's amazing how people manage to shit on Crytek for saying anything negative and act like their staff don't know what they're talking about despite consistently being at the forefront of technology in video games.

klaus

I dislike this type of thinking. You can hit the upper limits of any system, but a good developer can push a system despite the limitations.

And do you know how they do that? Indeed they do so by cutting content and limiting the scope. Doesn't mean that that always is a bad thing, but I fail to understand why tech focused developers should not push for more power. If everybody thought like that, we'd still have 64KB of RAM.

Eusis

I was about to say I was ready to eat crow, buuut I guess I wasn't posting then! Ah well, I expressed the sentiment they were batshit somewhere, though I think really it's just that Crytek has an aim that just isn't what I want to see at all: compromising on more opened gameplay they actually did a good job with and even to some extent playability for the sake of visual quality. Honestly I think I'd prefer a shit looking game at a rock solid 30fps than an amazing looking one that can't reliably hold it (and by that I mean regularly run in the 20 FPS range, not just sometimes miss it), and that's even before we starting dragging stuff like 60fps into the equation.

Anyways he's probably right, although it does seem to be getting harder and harder to use if you're not developing a massive game in the first place.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
And you you know how they do that? Indeed the do so by cutting content and limiting the scope. Doesn't mean that that always is a bad thing, but I fail to understand why tech focused developers should not push for more power. If everybody thought like that, we'd still have 64KB of RAM.
And if everyone thought like Crytek then we would be paying insane amount of dollars for a console where most people don't give a shit for graphics.

klaus

So Crytek,

I look at the specs and the RAM that PS3/360 had, some of the exclusive titels that actually where made on those consoles, the specs that PS4/XB1 have, and then i read things like this.

More power would obviously always be better, but until i see something from you on PS4/XB1 that i find way more impressive than last gens diamonds, statements like this are totally bullshit.

So you haven't seen Ryse? And btw devs from all over were complaining about the available RAM last gen, have we already forgotten that?

klaus

And if everyone thought like Crytek then we would be paying insane amount of dollars for a console where most people don't give a shit for graphics.

Good thing not everyone is an engine & game developer then. What was your point again?

Edit: Just as a reminder, John Carmack is one of the main reasons PCs have strong dedicated GPUs, and Epic was at least in part responsible for the 360 getting twice the amount of RAM. But I guess it's cool to hate Crytek..

Sendou

Why are people so mad? I understand Ryse looked quite good considering the platform it's on so they would know, right? What the hell does whether the game is fun or not have to do with anything?

Also: do we just have very many developers on GAF sharing their wisdom suddenly or do we just have many people speaking out of their asses? In addition to that this is just what the situation is in mid-2014. I wonder what will it be in 5 or 6 years down the line.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I dislike this type of thinking. You can hit the upper limits of any system, but a good developer can push a system despite the limitations.
They're just trying to convince the platform holders free up some more memory for games. You can never have too much. Campaigning for changes that make your games better and easier to develop isn't a bad idea.

klaus

Learn to optimize your games. 5-6 GB for the processing power of these machines is more than enough memory...

Let me guess, you are a tech expert / engine coder that has a lot of experience with AAA games on consoles? If not, I would kindly ask for some solid source on that statement - and I am afraid marketing talk from non-engine devs will not suffice to convince me.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Let me guess, you are a tech expert / engine coder that has a lot of experience with AAA games on consoles? If not, I would kindly ask for some solid source on that statement - and I am afraid marketing talk from non-engine devs will not suffice.
Many developers have already surpassed what Crytek has done till now. So them crying for more power everytime seems pretty silly to me.

klaus

Why are people so mad? I understand Ryse looked quite good considering the platform it's on so they would know, right? What the hell does whether the game is fun or not have to do with anything?

Also: do we just have very many developers on GAF sharing their wisdom suddenly or do we just have many people speaking out of their asses? In addition to that this is just what the situation is in mid-2014. I wonder what will it be in 5 or 6 years down the line.

Well, if we go by the hilarious thread from 2011 about the 8GB, what should I say? ;)

It' seems like it's impossible to discuss the limitations of the current generation of consoles without knee jerk snarky responses that don't relate to the matter at hand.

The ram pools available for the current generation range from 5-6 GB. Some of it faster than others. We'll get a little more as the operating systems become streamlined, but you'll have to compete with PC systems that have 8 GB of system ram, plus whatever is on the video card. It's reasonable to assume that in a couple of years, your mid range cards will be around 4 GB of memory, with system memory still being between 8 and 16 GB.

Developers who work both the PC and console sides of the fence will try to balance pushing PC tech, while at the same time trying to match it with static console resources. Hence the talk about limitation.

It seems pretty damn simple to understand that's what they're talking about. Thinking about what bottlenecks might come in the future is what you should be doing if you're programming, especially if you're trying to sell your middleware to people.

The magical thinking on display whenever someone talks about the limitations and problems of programming is absolutely mind-boggling.

Vylsith

Banned
We already had to manage quite intensely our memory usage throughout Ryse and this will be one of the limiting factors surely in this generation.

I have a strange feeling that bandwidth was more of a problem than capacity for Ryse. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. Besides, the percentage increase in RAM this generation is higher than last generation. I'm not sure what Crytek is expecting for $399. Definitely not anything reasonable.

klaus

Many developers have already surpassed what Crytek has done till now. So them crying for more power everytime seems pretty silly to me.

You mean other multiplatform engine devs like Carmack / iD Software or Epic, which both have been crying for more power since years? Or do you mean first party devs that for obvious reasons will never complain about power? Give me specific examples, please.

pestul

Can you prove that on a technical level? Perhaps Crytek's artists just aren't as good. I would say that since they specialize in making high-end engines, that there is technically more going on in their games than most.

Crytek needs to take a backseat with the overboard graphics, and actually focus on a games narrative, and most importantly fun deep gameplay. They are a very weak developer in my eyes outside of their tech engine. Ryse could've/should've been so much more, if they actually spent time developing the gameplay and story more IMO.

viveks86

Is this man serious or what? This is why PC gamers are very dangerous to gaming.

PS4 already has more DDR5 than even $1000 graphics for PC and it only costs $400 in United States. Why is he asking Sony to do more, how can he not be grateful? Sony have given us everything we could ask for for a cheap price (top end PC hardware and above PC graphics on Sony exclusives) and PC gamers like him want to destroy that so that only the rich will be able to afford this activity. If we continue this way, gaming as a hobby will be equivalent to yachting.

This is a joke, right? I can't even tell anymore. o_O

Needed for a new page and lack of reading:
As hardware gets stronger the complexity of scenes can be increased and the dynamism within them. However, with that said it’s not the raw power alone that will allow for photo-realistic graphics but technology that intelligently scales and utilizes all that the hardware has to offer.
He's not whining, just stating facts.

Vylsith

Banned
It' seems like it's impossible to discuss the limitations of the current generation of consoles without knee jerk snarky responses that don't relate to the matter at hand.

The ram pools available for the current generation range from 5-6 GB. Some of it faster than others. We'll get a little more as the operating systems become streamlined, but you'll have to compete with PC systems that have 8 GB of system ram, plus whatever is on the video card. It's reasonable to assume that in a couple of years, your mid range cards will be around 4 GB of memory, with system memory still being between 8 and 16 GB.

Developers who work both the PC and console sides of the fence will try to balance pushing PC tech, while at the same time trying to match it with static console resources. Hence the talk about limitation.

It seems pretty damn simple to understand that's what they're talking about. Thinking about what bottlenecks might come in the future is what you should be doing if you're programming, especially if you're trying to sell your middleware to people.

The magical thinking on display whenever someone talks about the limitations and problems of programming is absolutely mind-boggling.

That's only a problem with 5 - 6 GBs of RAM if it isn't enough for 1080p. It is enough. I'm pretty sure data transfer rate for DDR3 will be a problem before capacity. Infamous Second Son didn't seem to have memory issues, and it had pretty high quality textures for 1080p. There are definitely bottlenecks in the PS4 and Xbox One, but I don't think memory capacity will be one of them.

klaus

Needed for a new page and lack of reading:

He's not whining, just stating facts.

I take it many people here are not really interested in facts. I also take it they would prefer to hear that their shiny new piece of plastic is absolutely future-proof and super powerful. And I take it many people simply don't like Crytek or their games.

Perhaps the thread title should be changed (how bout "Crytek can't make good gameplay, now cries for more RAM"), plus the original quote removed, would make for a less ... embarrassing thread. Or would it?

klaus

That's only a problem with 5 - 6 GBs of RAM if it isn't enough for 1080p. It is enough. I'm pretty sure data transfer rate for DDR3 will be a problem before capacity. Infamous Second Son didn't seem to have memory issues, and it had pretty high quality textures for 1080p. There are definitely bottlenecks in the PS4 and Xbox One, but I don't think memory capacity will be one of them.

Will you eat crow once you will have been proven wrong in a year or two? Look here for a shitton of people in for some delicious avian meal.

Top Bottom