• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek employee accurately answers interview question; gets shat on for no reason

Of course 8GB can easily be filled up if the game is poorly optimized. Anything can be a limiting factor. This is why console hardware is static so you can optimize your game around those limitations instead of trying to optimize around varied PC configurations.

Pretty graphics are nice to have, but don't mean a damn if the rest of the game sucks.

Or if the game has ambitious plans regarding world diversity, animation diversity, size, etc...

Carcetti

IMHO, Crytek should take a step back and stop looking at the tech, tech, and the tech. That way they might produce something else than beautiful but ultimately lifeless tech demos.

a916

IMHO, Crytek should take a step back and stop looking at the tech, tech, and the tech. That way they might produce something else than beautiful but ultimately lifeless tech demos.

Someone needs to develop tech and game engines too, they have a place in the industry.

Silky

Banned

They're a tech focused company. They do much more than videogames.

AmFreak

Or if the game has ambitious plans regarding world diversity, animation diversity, size, etc...

No!
It can only filled up if the game is poorly optimized. Like last gen when 512 MB could only be filled up if a game is poorly optimized.
Or the gen before when 32MB were enough.
The real truth is that 512KB should be enough for everything.

FDC1

Classic Crytek; so they can put the blame on consoles when their console ports are far of being impressive

I can fill my iMac's 16GB of RAM easily while doing everyday things... it's not even comparable but I'm just going here because if your job is to make the best engine possible I wouldn't find it a good sign to ask for more than 8GB when the gen is at the beginning and when last gen was way under this.

I never liked Crytek engine's graphics but I now think that they're not only bad at making games but also bad at making engines (maybe? or at least this sound like they could be very badly optimised).

klaus

No, the tech ignorant majority has decided that it is poor optimization (I mean, have you seen Crysis 1?), and Crytek sucks at gameplay anyways, so your argument is invalid.

lol

Both comments seem entirely compatible to me. They wanted a minimum 8GB and are saying now that because they don't even have that available, that its a limiting factor during development.

Or am I missing something?

Yes, hurt feelings.

Edit:
Chû Totoro;112480357 said:
I doubt that... or maybe army simulator but it's still industry oriented video games.
Any info about this?

iirc it makes them far, far more revenue than their videogames.

Edit 2:

You best not be talking about Crysis 1.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Classic Crytek; so they can put the blame on consoles when their console ports are far of being impressive
Ryse was pretty impressive, considering the hardware. Crytek's character models are second to none in the gaming industry.

Metzhara

...says the company notorious for demoralizing PC owners.
"...no... I can't play Crysis the way it was intended... with my eyes bleeding."

LoveCake

Look at how all us members think that 8GB will not happen & that 2GB or 4GB will be enough, how wrong were we !

How much RAM do Crytek want exactly ?

Most PC's do not come with 8GB RAM, ok most "gaming" PC's do but not everyone that plays games on a PC has a £1000+ rig that's got a i7 overclocked & two Titans running in SLi & 32GB RAM, i suppose Crysis 4 is going to be PC only then ?

The way Crytek are going this will be the min spec for Crysis 5;
18,688 AMD Opteron 6274 16-core (CPUs)
18,688 Nvidia Tesla K20X (GPUs)
693.5 TiB (RAM)
40PB (HHD)
27 petaFLOPS theoretical peak

What are Crytek on about !

AmyS

Watch them in a few years say they need 128 GB RAM for the next generation of consoles.

I don't think that will be needed for consoles of the PS5 gen, not with stacked DRAM on GPUs and APUs. External system/graphics RAM might be 32+ GB, but not another 16x leap from 360/PS3 to PS4/Xbone.

omonimo

Banned
Look at how all us members think that 8GB will not happen & that 2GB or 4GB will be enough, how wrong were we !

Most PC's do not come with 8GB RAM, ok most "gaming" PC's do but not everyone that plays games on a PC has a £1000+ rig that's got a i7 overclocked & two Titans running in SLi & 32GB RAM, i suppose Crysis 4 is going to be PC only then ?

I suppose this is the min spec for Crysis 5 then;
693.5 TiB (RAM)
40PB (HHD)

The fuck is that shit. Will be filled in two years.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

The way Crytek are going this will be the min spec for Crysis 5;
693.5 TiB (RAM)
40PB (HHD)

The hell you talking about 8gb is cheap. It was cheap 3 years ago and it's cheap now. The only reason why someone would not bother to buy it today is if they had no intention of buying a decent pc to begin with.

Qassim

Most PC's do not come with 8GB RAM

Eh - if we look at the Steam hardware stats - which I believe are a pretty good representation - because it does include a massive amount of low end systems, the most popular GPU according to the Steam hardware stats is the Intel integrated HD 4000.

These same stats list 8GB of RAM as the most popular configuration.

8GB of RAM isn't some super exotic specification - low end, cheap laptops come with 8GB of RAM these days:

e.g.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GE4F0J2/

but not everyone that plays games on a PC has a £1000+ rig that's got a i7 overclocked & two Titans running in SLi & 32GB RAM, i suppose Crysis 4 is going to be PC only then ?

What on EARTH is this nonsense? I don't even know how you got to this bollocks - it's such an awful way to get your point across.

"I wish the base spec Ford Fiesta had 40 more BHP."

"BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS A CAR THAT COSTS £100k, that has a 700BHP engine!"

Hermii

I think MS should have gone with a lot more ram because they chose the DDR3 solution. They have to get it pretty cheap right?

ryan299

They'll just bring out an expansion pack like they always do that one time.

I made that same joke and people flipped out on me here. lol

THis is one of the reasons I think this generation is going to be shorter. We have DDR4 coming out soon and computers in general are evolving very quickly. These consoles will be obsolete much sooner than last gen.

In Sony's case they got the best they could afford at the time. Anything more and the price for them and the consumer is heading the wrong way (a factor in Xbox1's lagging sales).

There's nothing to deride in his words, it's logic. If you read the rest there's no need to sensationalize.
As hardware gets stronger the complexity of scenes can be increased and the dynamism within them. However, with that said it’s not the raw power alone that will allow for photo-realistic graphics but technology that intelligently scales and utilizes all that the hardware has to offer.

LoveCake

Eh - if we look at the Steam hardware stats - which I believe are a pretty good representation - because it does include a massive amount of low end systems, the most popular GPU according to the Steam hardware stats is the Intel integrated HD 4000.

These same stats list 8GB of RAM as the most popular configuration.

8GB of RAM isn't some super exotic specification - low end, cheap laptops come with 8GB of RAM these days:

e.g.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GE4F0J2/

What on EARTH is this nonsense? I don't even know how you got to this bollocks - it's such an awful way to get your point across.

"I wish the base spec Ford Fiesta had 40 more BHP."

"BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS A CAR THAT COSTS £100k, that has a 700BHP engine!"

So why did Crytek say that 8GB is what was needed for the 8th gen consoles & now they have come out with 8GB, Crytek are saying it's not enough, a games console uses RAM differently to a PC, look what R* did with GTA5 on the 7th gen consoles with 512MB RAM, the PS4 & X1 have five times the RAM now & it's still not enough for Crytek.

The point i was making is not everyone who owns a PC is some hardcore gamer with the latest top spec rig running the latest hardware, lot's of people have a PC for work etc but will pick up the odd game or two.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Half the people on Steam have 4GB or less.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

How many current PC games have 8GB as the min spec ?

Again that's half. It's pretty telling that half have greater than 4gb. High end pc gaming enthusiast have always taken up small amount of the total number of pc gamers. The mere fact that even among the more casual users half have greater than 4gb should really tell you something.

That even they are aware of advantages of more ram and that it's affordable to many.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really not news.

Of course ram will be a limiting factor. It will be on PC's too for the foreseeable future.

Maybe this would be relevant if they made good games, but until that time I'll enjoy all the other good content that can be made with a balance of graphics and thoughtful design.

Qassim

So why did Crytek say that 8GB is what was needed for the 8th gen consoles & now they have come out with 8GB, Crytek are saying it's not enough, a games console uses RAM differently to a PC, look what R* did with GTA5 on the 7th gen consoles with 512MB RAM, the PS4 & X1 have five times the RAM now & it's still not enough for Crytek.

The point i was making is not everyone who owns a PC is some hardcore gamer with the latest top spec rig running the latest hardware, lot's of people have a PC for work etc but will pick up the odd game or two.

You should really read what they said - Crytek said they needed 8GB minimum. They were not given 8GB minimum, Crytek can use approximately 5GB of memory on these consoles, as can all other developers.

I'm not sure what point you are making with your GTAV comment. Crytek aren't saying they can't develop games within the memory limit, they're saying it's not enough to do what they wanted.

Yes - and my point is that 8GB isn't just for gamers. Like I said, it's not uncommon for even low end laptops to come with 8GB of RAM.

ypo

Let's get your game to run at 30fps first Crytek. Surely 25fps is not the limiting factor in Crytek games?

Qassim

Sorry, but I don't think we have the storage speeds to load in 16GB of data to primary memory.

People would go nuts at the loading times.

Uh, why would that matter? There's no reason that you'd need to load in all 16GB of data into memory at once.. and for most games out already - they're probably not loading all 5GB at once either - storage speeds on these SATA2 HDDs aren't fast enough for that to not show a noticeable impact on performance.

They'll continue loading after the initial load.

RedSwirl

Come to think of it, how many console games has Crytek developed? Two? They're not used to working under a fixed ceiling for a few years.

Top Bottom