• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek employee accurately answers interview question; gets shat on for no reason

Cmon, everyone knows they're just too lazy to optimize their games..

Also, that link is awesome haha. Love how everyone was like "8gig is way to much" back then in '11.
Will most likely be the same in 2016/17 with 16gig (in the PC area). I'd go for 16gigs for a new build which should last for some years, and lots of people think that more than 8 gigs won't be needed in the future.

In 2017 there will be a topic about how much you need 16gigs of RAM, and a link back to '14 saying: "ooh, nono, 8gig you go, 8gig fine, 16 too much"

Silky

Banned
Not really. In Crysis 2 many things had tessellation applied to them, even if they were underground or in things were tessellation didn't make sense, like those road barriers, which led to bad performance on many rigs.

In Crysis 3 they applied physics to some ropes that no one even noticed which made the game perform worse in those parts than it should have.

The tessellation thing, I'll give you (even though I've never had too many problems regarding that.) . The physics issue was fixed a while ago.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
It's because the OS has it reserved, so that it can run in tandem with the game. Essentially they are throwing 3GB away so that you can temporarily suspend the game and send someone a message or check trophies/achievements.

I'm just amazed that the barebones PS4 OS needs more RAM than Windows.

I thought that they reserved more than was needed due to future upgrades.

AmFreak

What's so hard to believe for this. The average pc gamer probably already has double the amount the consoles have (consoles: 5GB useable, pc 8GB+2GB). This gap will widen with every year.

MattyG

Banned
Well, the operating system needs *some* resources to run. Whether the 3GB and 2 cores reserved is justified is another argument (and one most of us who weren't involved in the architecture of the OS and its future roadmap aren't qualified to talk about).

It's because the OS has it reserved, so that it can run in tandem with the game. Essentially they are throwing 3GB away so that you can temporarily suspend the game and send someone a message or check trophies/achievements.

I'm just amazed that the barebones PS4 OS needs more RAM than Windows.
I figured that the OS used some, but 3GB?! Daaaaamn. So the max that devs will ever have access to is 5GB?

omonimo

Banned
I've never understood why console manufacturers don't give devs access to all the RAM in system from the start. Why do they start out only giving them a portion of the RAM, and slowly give more? They only have access to what, 5GB on PS4 and X1? (I'm not very informed when it comes to the fine details of tech, so pardon my ignorance).
I thin ut's better to push the developers to use better what they have than to give all from the start. Imho.

Silky

Banned
What are people accomplishing by mentioning the actual game quality of Crytek's titles when this is clearly a tech-oriented discussion?

It can easily be filled up when you haven't released a well-optimized game in a decade.

Just what do you know about optimization? Is all their recent games unoptimized just because they aren't running the way you want them to on your computer?
Doesn't mean they're unoptimized. Probably one of the most optimized engines out there considering all that eye candy and scale.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm purely talking of ND games tech wise versus Crytek on the same. I can put another example: shadowfall vs ryse. Shadowfall it's more impressive & smoother. I know ps4 it's more powerful to the xbone
If you know that, then I'm not sure why you're making this comparison.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Crytek's games are surely very impressive but I'm not sure what about them warrants gigabytes on gigabytes of RAM if R* can fit GTAV and RDR into 512MB. Can anyone with some technical savvy explain?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Crytek's games are surely very impressive but I'm not sure what about them warrants gigabytes on gigabytes of RAM if R* can fit GTAV and RDR into 512MB. Can anyone with some technical savvy explain?

They're talking several years into the future. Just like 512 MB was fine when those console released several years later those limitations certainly weren't fine.

But I honestly don't think/hope this generation doesn't last that long.

Stitch

Gold Member
1. Tessellation Myth in Crysis 2 if you do not trust maldo I can post links to developer posts on Crydev from explainging how that myth started.

2. Bug fixed in a patch.

Nah, I trust him. Still weird that Ultra runs so bad compared to very high. The screenshots look nearly identical...
But I still think that adding tessellation to so many useless objects, even if it doesn't seem to affect performance much, isn't good optimization.

Good that they fixed the bug in Crysis 3. Haven't played since then. Got bored and went back to Crysis 1 lol.

The tessellation thing, I'll give you (even though I've never had too many problems regarding that.) . The physics issue was fixed a while ago.

1. Tessellation Myth in Crysis 2 if you do not trust maldo I can post links to developer posts on Crydev from explainging how that myth started.

Nah, I trust him. Still weird that Ultra runs so bad compared to very high.
But I still think that adding tessellation to so many useless objects, even if it doesn't seem to affect performance much, isn't good optimization.

Good that they fixed the bug in Crysis 3. Haven't played since then. Got bored and went back to Crysis 1 lol.
It runs worse due to shading changes. Like more phsically accurate everything, SSR (firt game to ever even use it), SSDO instead of SSAO, etc...

Also, that tesselation technique costs nexts to nothing (Phong Tesselation). It is just regenerating the topolgy and breaking it down the closer you get.

Bundy

Banned
You can easily "fill up" 8GB RAM with a small indie-like game, if you want.
It's how you USE the 8GB RAM!
And 8GB RAM is easily enough for this gen.
Especially 8GB of GDDR5 RAM.

Havel

That seems slightly implausible seeing as how that managed to fit the Crysis games into 512MB of RAM as well.

They ran like crap, though.

Crysis 1 on PC, even though it looked incredible, was not optimised very well at all. Crytek themselves admitted this.

Silky

Banned

Crysis 1 on PC, even though it looked incredible, was not optimised very well at all. Crytek themselves admitted this.

One game. Compared to the rest of their titles released, that are very well optimized. As discussed in the thread.

I remember, back in january 2013, when most people expecte 2-4GB of RAM in next gen consoles.
They Sony came out with 8GB of GDDR5 and people went nuts. But then they tought this will lead to a 599$ pricepoint again. They the Ps4 was 399 and people went nuts again.
And now many people view next gen consoles to be quite weak in terms of hardware already.
Boy, what a year...

I think Crytek might be right, but first we'll see next gen only engines and next gen only titles make goo use of the next gen architectures.
I'm pretty sure we'll see a significant jump in graphics in the coming year.

Games we have now do not show what these machines are capable of, not even games like Ryse or Infamous.

Scrabble

Because probably Ryse on ps4 would be 900p to stay at steady 30 fps? If I'm not wrong, the same Crytek said Ryse would be 900p on ps4 too.

Not because the ps4 isn't more powerful, but because they'd rather push visuals and tech at the expense of higher image quality. Why that's so hard for most to understand I don't know.

bj00rn_

Banned
First thing I thought of.

GG Crytek.

"We want 8 GB."
Gets 8 GB.
"Well, this will most certainly be a hindrance."
http://i.imgur.com/fcj2ZIc.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is the world boolean..? No it isn't.. It's possible to have more than one thought in the head at the same time you know. That's why we have a discussion forums here at gaf instead of a circle jerks forum or a cat fight forum; to discuss.
All he is saying is that from the specific question that he was asked, the first theoretical place to run out of resources as he sees it is the memory, not that the Xbox One and PS4 is piece of shit systems. This was not an official announcement, it was a direct question which he answered, and then he went on and put some additional nuance, like scaled optimization, to it as well.

Havel

One game. Compared to the rest of their titles released, that are very well optimized. As discussed in the thread.

Crysis 2 and 3 ran well on consoles? Never played them so I don't know, but I think I remember DF's analysis saying they weren't too great.

Guri

I'm purely talking of ND games tech wise versus Crytek on the same. I can put another example: shadowfall vs ryse. Shadowfall it's more impressive & smoother. I know ps4 it's more powerful to the xbone but I doubt crytek will be 30 steady fps on console.

There's a possibility. We can't be sure of that. Maybe the same Ryse ported to the PS4 would use its hardware advantages to perform better.

I understand what you mean. But take the Mass Effect franchise as an example. The first game had a lot of texture streaming issues. Their solution for the next games was to make the level design smaller with more loading areas. The third game had to cut the holster weapon mechanic because of memory issues. Of course they have way more than 512/256 MB of RAM to use now, but, as I said before, games will also get more demanding in the future. So devs will need to get solutions to optimize that will either mean cut features or make less dynamic worlds than they first intended.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

One game does not an argument make (and it's an awful argument to begin with). It's like saying someone sucks at making products because they made a crappy product several years ago. There's this thing called learning, iteration and improvement.

Crysis 2 and 3 ran fine (they didn't run amazing on consoles but they ran pretty well considering the technical limitations).

Is the world boolean..? No it isn't.. It's possible to have more than one thought in the head at the same time you know. That's why we have a discussion forums here at gaf instead of a circle jerks forum or a cat fight forum; to discuss.
All he is saying is that from the specific question that he was asked, the first theoretical place to run out of resources as he sees it is the memory, not that the Xbox One and PS4 is piece of shit systems. This was not an official announcement, it was a direct question which he answered, and then he went on and put some additional nuance to it as well.

And he didn't even say RAM would be the number one limiting factor like the title implies, he said "this will be one of the limiting factors".

Havel

One game does not an argument make (and it's an awful argument to begin with). It's like saying someone sucks at making products because they made a crappy product several years ago. There's this thing called learning, iteration and improvement.

Crysis 1 was an example, not the only argument. As I said above, I believe DF's analysis of Crysis 2 and 3 on consoles came to the conclusion that they weren't greatly optimised.

Edit: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crysis2-face-off

mcz117chief

Look at all that juice that companies like Naughty Dog, Rockstar, 343i, Epic and others managed to get out of the ancient PS360s. I really can't wait to see games for Xbone and PS4 in 4-5 years.

bj00rn_

Banned
And he didn't even say RAM would be the number one limiting factor like the title implies, he said "this will be one of the limiting factors".

You're right.

In fact, I can't even find this supposed interview with this Sean Tracy Crytek guy. What the hell.. Where is it..?

Top Bottom