• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek employee accurately answers interview question; gets shat on for no reason

2San

Crysis 1? That game ran like shit on every system back then; Crysis 2 had fewer issues and Crysis 3 was shit again

They always aim waaaay to high with their target specs - even back then with FarCry 1
Crysis 1 still runs like shit even now. :p Crysis 2 has a pretty good graphics/performance ratio if you use Maldo's mod.

RK9039

Crysis 1? That game ran like shit on every system back then; Crysis 2 had fewer issues and Crysis 3 was shit again

They always aim waaaay to high with their target specs - even back then with FarCry 1

True, Crysis 1 they admitted was a mess. But Crysis 2 and 3 ran fine.

Are demanding titles considered 'unoptimized'? just curious.

Silky

Banned
Okay, yeah. Crysis 1 is an unoptimized shit, we all know this. Cry2 and Cry3, despite it's high performance demands, ran very well on the setup I have now.

On the very highest settings, which were future oriented.

Turn down the game to high and it ran just freaking fine.

Okay, yeah. Crysis 1 is an unoptimized shit, we all know this.

Only on its very highest settings. And by unoptimized, that can just mean that the sample counts are high, not necessarily that the coding could be replaced with something that gives the same result.

I swear people misuse the word "optimized." Sometimes optimizing, and it generally means actually, turning down the quality.

I like Crytek from a game-engine perspective and their top coding.

But Jesus christ they are bad at making good games lately. Ryse is an absolute dog.

Guri

Well, like others said before, they really didn't get 8 GB to use as they want. Besides, 5 GB might be enough in 2014. Will it be in 2018/2019? We can't be sure, but I don't think so. They can optimize a lot, but some things will be cut because of the limitations.

EDIT: Considering somememory might be freed in the future for game devs to use, maybe there will be more than 5 GB to use in 2018/2019, but it won't be 8 GB.

omonimo

Banned
Well.. they actually only got about 5GB, so they're in the right??
I don't know, I mean looking to the console developers like ND they never have issue with barely 512 MB. TLoU is damning impressive to be on ps3 & it run at higher fps/ res than Crysis on console. Maybe it's time to learn to use better what they have indeed to wait another hardware upgrade?

theWB27

Sounds like Crytek will make shit console ports for PS4/XB1 in the future regardless of specs available to them and are just lowering the expectations so they dont get much flak when they release their shit "limited by hardware" games.

No Crytek, the limiting factor is you in this care. Im sure ND/SSM will beat any technical feats you can do easily without spewing such BS.

Satire? I get people may not like their games, but to say ND/SSM can easily beat Crytek on the technical side is nonsense...

Crytek: We want 8GBs of RAM in our next-gen consoles.

Microsoft: Fine, here's 8GBs.

Sony: Hell, we'll give you 8GB GDDR5. Happy?

Crytek: It's not ENOUGH!

They don't have 8 gigs, the systems do, the devs have 4-5 gigs. Why are people having selective memory when it comes to this?

Silky

Banned
Only on its very highest settings. And by unoptimized, that can just mean that the sample counts are high, not necessarily that the coding could be replaced with something that gives the same result.

I swear people misuse the word "optimized." Sometimes optimizing, and it generally means actually, turning down the quality.

The engine used for Cry1 is incredibly slow and more demanding than the series next releases. To this day I have difficulty running the game even with editing the settings. It's so bad Crytek admits it.

2San

Read the comments in that thread, then read the tech specs on the X1/PS4. Hopefully you'll figure it out.
It makes perfect sense to me.
How so? People in that thread are talking about GDDR5 RAM. Since 8GB DDR3 RAM would be dumb gaming wise as demonstrated by the xbox one. It is good non-gaming purposes, which is what MS was going for.

Sony made a bet a by going 8GB GDDR5 it was unclear that 8GB GDDR5 at the time whether it would be doable on a consumer level. It was even unclear for MS, otherwise they would have opted for it as well. Since MS is now stuck with a harder to code for, more expensive and slower solution (for most purposes of the consoles).

You can talk all cool in hindsight, but a lot of the predictions where based on logic.

So yeah I'll need some explanation.

omonimo

Banned
Satire? I get people may not like their games, but to say ND/SSM can easily beat Crytek on the technical side is nonsense...
On console? What exactly is a nonsense? Crytek games run shit on console. I'm surprise people who gives a fuck for games below 1080p 60 fps find impressive 20-25 fps in a game.

So wait, a Dev wants more power and says the obvious, that at some point the memory will be a limiting factor.

of course it will. At some point we'll want 16gb or 32gb... And the other thread they said they'd want a minimum of 8gb, and they got that. The minimum.

Are some so in love with these boxes that even obvious truths like "at some point 8gb won't be enough" get ridicule?

Or is the 8gb supposed to be the pinnacle of the future? I really don't get some of your posts y'all.

and yeah... What SparkTR said. Absolutely true.

Sushen

Probably, true for a typical PC developer that is dealing with many different specs. However, a console with closed specs, there can be many creative solutions only possible for the specific platform that can go a loooong way. It's almost comparing apples to oranges because overall engineering approaches can be very different even if they use similar hardware architectures (PC vs consoles).

Stitch

Gold Member
Crysis 2 and 3 were very well optimized on PC, what are you talking about?
Not really. In Crysis 2 many things had tessellation applied to them, even if they were underground or in things were tessellation didn't make sense, like those road barriers, which led to bad performance on many rigs.

In Crysis 3 they applied physics to some ropes that no one even noticed which made the game perform worse in those parts than it should have.

This thread is even more painful to read than the 8GB RAM one. Appears Crytek is one of the many topics that have become too toxic to even come close to having rational discourse about here. Especially when they could be taken to have slighted a console so many adore...

Doesn't help that the thread title implies they said that RAM would be THE limiting factor when it's right in the post that they said "this will be one of the limiting factors". Of course reading to the end of the title post of a thread is a lot to ask.

I'm not even really sure what people are upset about to be honest. If you view the quote logically and with a shred of context it makes perfect sense. Of course people love to forego logic and rush to defend their biases even when it's completely unnecessary.

Guri

I don't know, I mean looking to the console developers like ND they never have issue with barely 512 MB. TLoU is damning impressive to be on ps3 & it run at higher fps/ res than Crysis on console. Maybe it's time to learn to use better what they have indeed to wait another hardware upgrade?

The Last of Us has a static world though. I'm not saying this as a bad thing, it was perfect for their game. But if devs want a more dynamic world, things might need to be cut. Of course there will be improvements and they can do a lot more than TLoU technically, but games will also keep getting more demanding. That's what I think his concern is.

So wait, a Dev wants more power and says the obvious, that at some point the memory will be a limiting factor.

of course it will. At some point we'll want 16gb or 32gb... And the other thread they said they'd want a minimum of 8gb, and they got that. The minimum.

Are some so in love with these boxes that even obvious truths like "at some point 8gb won't be enough" get ridicule?

Or is the 8gb supposed to be the pinnacle of the future? I really don't get some of your posts y'all.

and yeah... What SparkTR said. Absolutely true.

yes.....

MattyG

Banned
I've never understood why console manufacturers don't give devs access to all the RAM in system from the start. Why do they start out only giving them a portion of the RAM, and slowly give more? They only have access to what, 5GB on PS4 and X1? (I'm not very informed when it comes to the fine details of tech, so pardon my ignorance).

King_Moc

Banned
Crytek: We want 8GBs of RAM in our next-gen consoles.

Microsoft: Fine, here's 8GBs.

Sony: Hell, we'll give you 8GB GDDR5. Happy?

Crytek: It's not ENOUGH!

They didn't give them 8GB. They gave them 4.5/5GB. And on the XB1, it came in the form of extremely slow RAM. So no, it's not enough.

Silky

Banned
On console? What exactly is a nonsense? Crytek games run shit on console. I'm surprise people who gives a fuck for games below 1080p 60 fps find impressive 20-25 fps in a game.

Cryengine doesn't work on last gen technology as well as people want it to. Sure the game was serviceable in Cry2/Cry3, but it wasn't meant to be. Then again no one /cared/ because the majority of games last gen were sub-HD with shit framerate.

Now Crytek's working with new technology this gen and the difference between Ryse's performance and Crysis' performance is HUGE. Even though it's still sub-HD (blame the hardware), the leap/difference is noticeable.

PC? Cry2/Cry 3 run like butter. Very well optimized games because well, Crytek is primarily a /PC/ developer.

Hell, their new game? Warface? Shit runs very smooth too.

Qassim

I've never understood why console manufacturers don't give devs access to all the RAM in system from the start. Why do they start out only giving them a portion of the RAM, and slowly give more? They only have access to what, 5GB on PS4 and X1?

Well, the operating system needs *some* resources to run. Whether the 3GB and 2 cores reserved is justified is another argument (and one most of us who weren't involved in the architecture of the OS and its future roadmap aren't qualified to talk about).

They slowly give more because they find ways to save on resources later down the line. It's just a natural part of further optimising resources as you go along. What developers get back over the period of the console cycle probably won't be massive, however, unless they made some serious mistakes in developing the system in the first place. The PS3 managed to free up a significant amount of memory over time, but I don't recall there being anywhere near as much for the 360 (which seemingly did a much better job out of the gate with their OS).

1.Not really. In Crysis 2 many things had tessellation applied to them, even if they were underground or in things were tessellation didn't make sense, like those road barriers, which led to bad performance on many rigs.

2. In Crysis 3 they applied physics to some ropes that no one even noticed which made the game perform worse in those parts than it should have.

1. Tessellation Myth in Crysis 2 if you do not trust maldo I can post links to developer posts on Crydev from explainging how that myth started.

2. Bug fixed in a patch.

King_Moc

Banned
I've never understood why console manufacturers don't give devs access to all the RAM in system from the start. Why do they start out only giving them a portion of the RAM, and slowly give more? They only have access to what, 5GB on PS4 and X1?

It's because the OS has it reserved, so that it can run in tandem with the game. Essentially they are throwing 3GB away so that you can temporarily suspend the game and send someone a message or check trophies/achievements.

I'm just amazed that the barebones PS4 OS needs more RAM than Windows.

omonimo

Banned
The Last of Us has a static world though. I'm not saying this as a bad thing, it was perfect for their game. But if devs want a more dynamic world, things might need to be cut. Of course there will be improvements and they can do a lot more than TLoU technically, but games will also keep getting more demanding. That's what I think his concern is.
I'm purely talking of ND games tech wise versus Crytek on the same. I can put another example: shadowfall vs ryse. Shadowfall it's more impressive & smoother. I know ps4 it's more powerful to the xbone but I doubt crytek will be 30 steady fps on console.

level44

How about you make a non boring game with the RAM you do have before you start moaning about more.

Too harsh?

Top Bottom