• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek employee accurately answers interview question; gets shat on for no reason

Sini

What are people accomplishing by mentioning the actual game quality of Crytek's titles when this is clearly a tech-oriented discussion?
They have no idea how else to defend their precious boxes from something that doesn't even matter to them.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Crysis 1 was an example, not the only argument. As I said above, I believe DF's analysis of Crysis 2 and 3 on consoles came to the conclusion that they weren't greatly optimised.

Edit: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crysis2-face-off

Again that doesn't prove your point. DF themselves stated a lot of that has to do with compromises on consoles. In order to get games like Crysis 2 and 3 to run at solid fps and look decent those games would have to be altered massively, in comparison to game like Crysis 1 (even more than they were). It was a trade off not simply poorly optimised.

Show me games that performed significantly better on consoles with similar fidelity at those points in time. I assure you there weren't many.

RetroStu

Banned
Wasn't it Crytec themselves who said they wanted 8gb of ram in the new consoles?. Plus hardly anyone expected more than 4gb of ram in the new consoles before we got the leaked specs.

bj00rn_

Banned
Again: Where is this interview with Sean Tracy (Crytek) ??

There is no link to it in the gaming bolt article.

There's not even a quote from Crytek (the quotes are from Andrew Bowell at Havok).

Two Words

Well ofcourse it is a limitation. They could do more with a terabyte of RAM with 100x the transfer speeds. And even then there is a limitation to what can be done with that kind of RAM. It should only be a issue of the RAM and speed of RAM are insufficient to be managed.

Believe me, there is nothing of impressive on Crysis on console. Nothing. Everyone can handle what Crytek have achieved, I haven't noticed anything of particular astonishing in this porting.

First person shooters got a lot more linear and corridor-y after Crysis 1 so I'm not so sure.

bj00rn_

Banned
Ok, this is the last time I'll post it:

OP, the title is misleading because:

1. The quote you posted is not from CRYTEK, it is from HAVOK.

2. There are no quotes from Crytek in the article you posted, nor any links to the interview with Crytek.

The post should be updated for clarification.

omonimo

Banned
First person shooters got a lot more linear and corridor-y after Crysis 1 so I'm not so sure.
I repeat to you, I have Crysis 1. There is nothing of magic in this porting. It's full of compromises, it's not that tough to any other who has some experience in those console to achieve it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I repeat to you, I have Crysis 1. There is nothing of magic in this porting. It's full of compromises, it's not that tough to any other who has some experience in those console to achieve it.
The comment about it being impressive that they got it to work at all is because Crysis 1 was built for extremely high end PC's. It wasn't meant to scale down to work on lesser hardware. When somebody says its a miracle it runs at all, its mainly just because many people didn't think they'd ever see the day it came to 360/PS3.

But yea, clearly it involved some seriously roughy and dodgy downgrading, cuz the visuals themselves weren't impressive. Nobody is claiming that it was a great looking game or that its representative of their abilities. They probably could have rebuilt it from the ground up and spent a lot of time and money to make it look good, but it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to do that.

Hence it being a cheap, downloadable title.

Leb

2. There are no quotes from Crytek in the article you posted, nor any links to the interview with Crytek.

Actually, I think you're reading it wrong. The interview is with Sean Tracy from Crytek. Confusingly, in the middle of the article is an interjection about a recent interview with Bowell from Havok and the article then goes on to pose the question of whether or not Tracy holds similar beliefs as Bowell.

The quote that follows, however, appears to be from Tracy and not Bowell.

Guri

Actually, no, the post is right. I'll quote just one part of the article and not the full one:

While the PS4 and Xbox One wowed developers and consumers alike with their copious amounts of RAM – the PS4 more so since it sports 8 GB GDDR5 RAM in a unified architecture – it’s not as though it’ll be difficult to fill up. In fact, that time may come sooner than later according to Crytek’s US Engine Business Development Manager Sean Tracy.

We recently interviewed Havok’s head of product management Andrew Bowell about the 8 GB of RAM in both consoles and had been informed that artists will have no trouble occupying it all. Does Tracy also believe there will be a shortage of RAM in this generation as well?

“I would have to agree with the viewpoint that 8 gigs can easily be filled up, but also keep in mind that developers don’t necessarily even have access to all 8 gigs of it. For example the Xbox One retains some of the RAM for OS purposes.

The second paragraph contains a link with the interview with Andrew Bowell from Havok. The third is Sean Tracy's opinion.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

No it's not that's referencing a separate different interview. The one in the OP is an interview with Crytek’s US Engine Business Development Manager Sean Tracy

coldfoot

Banned
Nope, 8GB (5GB?) won't be a serious limitation. It'd take enormous budgets to fill up all that space with art such that even streaming won't be enough. You'll hit budget limitations before memory limitations.

bombshell

“I would have to agree with the viewpoint that 8 gigs can easily be filled up, but also keep in mind that developers don’t necessarily even have access to all 8 gigs of it. For example the Xbox One retains some of the RAM for OS purposes.

Reading this quote you would think the PS4 does not retain any RAM for the OS.

bombshell

Let's all laugh at the dumbass with that terrible first post. What an idiot.

pointandlaugh5.gif

bj00rn_

Banned
Actually, I think you're reading it wrong. The interview is with Sean Tracy from Crytek. Confusingly, in the middle of the article is an interjection about a recent interview with Bowell from Havok and the article then goes on to pose the question of whether or not Tracy holds similar beliefs as Bowell.

The quote that follows, however, appears to be from Tracy and not Bowell.

You're right, I'm wrong.

*embarrased*

Sorry OP.

I can understand game developers wanting as much RAM as they can possibly get, but I wish the mindset was different in this industry and the emphasis was put on how fun a game is as opposed to how pretty it is. Of course this "graphics are everything" attitude is shared with a lot of cosumers as well, just look at the number of threads on GAF talking about screen resolutions and frame rates. I find this aspect of gaming kind of sad. Whatever happened to gameplay > graphics? When did this attitude change?

Next-gen should have about RAM 32-64GB depending on how long this gen will last.

Might even be on the low side considering the history:
64MB->8x->512MB->16x!->8192MB. Xbox

UglyPony

Sadly having all the memory in the world still wont let you make good games.
All crytek games have been soulless games. Nothing but tech demo's with pretty graphics.

I think the actual limiting factor will be CPU and GPU compute power. Those didn't increase is much from the last generation as RAM did.

Malice215

Of course 8GB can easily be filled up if the game is poorly optimized. Anything can be a limiting factor. This is why console hardware is static so you can optimize your game around those limitations instead of trying to optimize around varied PC configurations.

Pretty graphics are nice to have, but don't mean a damn if the rest of the game sucks.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In not trying to play the PC master race card here, but it's relevant to point out that most people in the PC building thread still suggest people only build PCs with 8gb.

That's because 8gb is cheap as shit and is more than worth the price. This was also true several years ago.

It's why Crytek asked for it as a minimum.

Top Bottom