• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to check out 3-1 before trying to finish off 2-2 and holy crap there's sooooo much loot. Thank god I have that encumbrance ring, would never have been able to carry this shit otherwise. And I really like the look of the cover armour.

Boss Man

Are all of these gates that I'm opening going to stay open when I go back to the Nexus?

e: Finally got past the first boss. This game took me about 5 hours of play before I "got" it...so worth it though. It's finally opened up and right now I'm just repeating 1-1 and taking out the red knight for souls to level up before I head to 1-2. Such an amazing game.
I was in awe at the dragons towards the end of 1-1. This game is beautiful. It feels like Oblivion meets Shadow of the Colossus to me.
What a steep learning curve though. This is definitely a game for the "hardcore" crowd.

I've yet to understand the multiplayer component. Can someone just jump into my game and kill me/take my souls?

matmanx1

StateofMind said:
Are all of these gates that I'm opening going to stay open when I go back to the Nexus?

e: Finally got past the first boss. This game took me about 5 hours of play before I "got" it...so worth it though. It's finally opened up and right now I'm just repeating 1-1 and taking out the red knight for souls to level up before I head to 1-2. Such an amazing game.
I was in awe at the dragons towards the end of 1-1. This game is beautiful. It feels like Oblivion meets Shadow of the Colossus to me.
What a steep learning curve though. This is definitely a game for the "hardcore" crowd.

I've yet to understand the multiplayer component. Can someone just jump into my game and kill me/take my souls?

Invasions can happen but the invader will never be more than 10 levels + or - your current level and if you arent in the mood you can always yank your ethernet cord or exit your game and restart in offline mode (PS3 has to be disconnected from the internet to start in offline mode).

Victrix

*beard*
You can only be invaded or invite coop players while alive. So if you're dead, you're safe from invasion (and you can drop your coop stone for other players, or invade other players yourself)

It definitely adds a nerve wracking element for new players when a black phantom shows up though :D

But on the other hand, new players tend to be dead most of the time, so it balances out :lol

RavenFox

Banned
Well these guys seemed to be on a roll today. I had to quit my game for some peace. Don't know what me me so special earlier today.

3-1 boss was so easy, I can't recommend getting yourself a good bow enough. As early as possible, makes the game much more manageable if like me you're not allowed to use magic.

(which I can't do even with this silver catalyst )

RavenFox

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
3-1 boss was so easy, I can't recommend getting yourself a good bow enough. As early as possible, makes the game much more manageable if like me you're not allowed to use magic.

4-1 will be just as easy if you haven't tackled it yet.

Boss Man

MickeyKnox said:

When's the earliest I can get a bow?

just did my first 'i'm naked - please kill me!' invasion on someone (wanted to get to miralda, & finally did). can't blame whoever it was getting a bit tired of me by the third time (even tho i left goodies) - he/she whittled me down to nearly nothing, & then started fucking with me :) . i finally started throwing some punches, & that was that (thanks!)...

Victrix

*beard*
MickeyKnox said:
As early as possible, makes the game much more manageable if like me you're not allowed to use magic.

Huh? Anyone can use spells, you need 10 Faith or Magic, then talk to the appropriate NPC. Might need high enough Will to memorize one spell, Faith gives Miracle mem slots automatically.

What a time sink! I pretty much played all day today. I was grinding away in 2-2 using magic on the big bugbears. My magic depletes so quick I have to use it up, then hide until it refills then use it again (didn't know about the MP spice until later). My character got stuck in walls of the wormholes and after (hours?) so was my heart. Thankfully the game is pretty good about auto saving so I quit and started back without too much of a loss. I still haven't fought an invading player...I yanked the cord fast as hell yesterday when someone came gunning for me. I was carrying around 22,000 souls and didn't want to deal with it yet but I'm looking forward to it in the future. Awesome, awesome game.

semiconscious said:
just did my first 'i'm naked - please kill me!' invasion on someone (wanted to get to miralda, & finally did). can't blame whoever it was getting a bit tired of me by the third time (even tho i left goodies) - he/she whittled me down to nearly nothing, & then started fucking with me :) . i finally started throwing some punches, & that was that (thanks!)...
What's this about Miralda?

Victrix said:
Huh? Anyone can use spells, you need 10 Faith or Magic, then talk to the appropriate NPC. Might need high enough Will to memorize one spell, Faith gives Miracle mem slots automatically.
Well that would do it, Defuser had said 10 will which I had but my magic was sitting at 9. Now the fucker will actually teach me.

RavenFox said:
I think she is in 1-1 to the left of the nexus spawn? I could be wrong.
I get it now. :) semiconscious wanted white tendency so he could visit Miralda. I couldn't figure out why he would invade and let himself be killed.

AHAHA!

I had cleared everything up to the boss in 2-2 then made my way back to the waypoint since I was just grinding and didn't have the right kind of weapon (using fire) and I see 2 soul signs next to the warp so I summon both players and we sprinted all the way back down, uninterrupted and just whooped the boss' ass.

StateofMind said:
Anyone know where I can find the crossbow in 1-1?
You know where the first knight with the glowing blue eye is? There's a break in the wall across from the door he guards and you can walk off the ledge there. The crossbow's below. Or at least I think it is...there's some kind of item down there!

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
Fucking blue dragon bastard.

How the hell are you supposed to make it past him with out getting roasted?
It's all about timing. If you still can't,grab some arrows or spells,whittle down it's health till it fly away to the further part of the area where you can get past the dragon again. After you managed to get under the dragon,you can kill it.

mujun

MickeyKnox said:
Fucking blue dragon bastard.

How the hell are you supposed to make it past him with out getting roasted?

with the dragons you need to see exactly how far forward you can move and remember that spot then run from there when you finally decide to make your move.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finally finished my second playthrough on New Game+

It really wasn't all that difficult and I died far fewer times than my first playthrough.

I started my third playthrough and killed Phalanx with ease (two casts of 炎の嵐 - Fire Storm). I am Soul Level 132 now with about 60 hours on the clock, and I will probably only be playing the game off and on now, but I still want to get all of the trophies eventually.

All in all, this is probably one of the best and most captivating games I have played in the last couple of years. I recommend it to anyone who likes challenging RPGs or dungeon crawling.

Tailzo

Zefah said:
All in all, this is probably one of the best and most captivating games I have played in the last couple of years. I recommend it to anyone who likes challenging RPGs or dungeon crawling.

This and many other glowing impressions of the game makes me very surprised the game still hasn't been announced for a western release. I am checking prices for the import version, but it's expensive when you live in Norway. I will ahve to pay customs, expensive shipping + I can't buy the game from play-asia.

Cleared 2,3,4 all the way.

Trying to fuck around with tendencies, got the Katana in 4 and the primeval in 2, how should I go about getting the right tendency for the door in 1-1 to open?

I'm gonna go ahead and say this game is what a console style Diablo should play like, I hope that they add that broken 6th Archstone as DLC at some point. I need more of this game and I'm not finished with it yet.

Tailzo said:
This and many other glowing impressions of the game makes me very surprised the game still hasn't been announced for a western release. I am checking prices for the import version, but it's expensive when you live in Norway. I will ahve to pay customs, expensive shipping + I can't buy the game from play-asia.
Get it from YesAsia instead. They'll ship it as a gift (no customs) and when I ordered it a month ago I got free international shipping.

Tailzo

archnemesis said:
Get it from YesAsia instead. They'll ship it as a gift (no customs) and when I ordered it a month ago I got free international shipping.
Thanks, I got free shipping too.

Done, however they think I will not recieve the game before the 3rd May.

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
Cleared 2,3,4 all the way.

Trying to fuck around with tendencies, got the Katana in 4 and the primeval in 2, how should I go about getting the right tendency for the door in 1-1 to open?
Gate 1-1 opens with either black or white tendency but Miralda drop different things depending on the tendency.

Black tendency - Miralda(BP),she will drop Guillotine Axe.

White tendency - Miralda(human),she will drop binded armor(female) & master ring.

Edit : Btw what's your soul level? we should do some coop next time.

matmanx1

Started 4-1 last night and it was a blast. The skeletons were easy once I got used to their movement (and the Dragon Long Sword works well on them also) and although I died once to the arrow trap I still ended up killing the big fat demon in the courtyard and carted off some nice loot.

Question: What are the "soul remains" items that the skeletons drop?

And yeah, I totally agree about the bow. I got my strength up a little so I could use the Longbow and used it to pull the black, dual wielding skeleton in 4-1 and then was able to finish him off with a couple of flamethrower casts from the ramparts. Very useful item to have around.

Defuser

matmanx1 said:
Started 4-1 last night and it was a blast. The skeletons were easy once I got used to their movement (and the Dragon Long Sword works well on them also) and although I died once to the arrow trap I still ended up killing the big fat demon in the courtyard and carted off some nice loot.

Question: What are the "soul remains" items that the skeletons drop?

And yeah, I totally agree about the bow. I got my strength up a little so I could use the Longbow and used it to pull the black, dual wielding skeleton in 4-1 and then was able to finish him off with a couple of flamethrower casts from the ramparts. Very useful item to have around.
Soul remains are like a distraction. Throw it at the ground and enemies will come attacking the soul remains instead of you.

RavenFox

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
I just fucked that guy up.

Also got invaded a few times and did some co/op. This is an early contender for GOTY as far as I'm concerned.
I did co-op after that huge knight and we were kicking ass. Those red eyed possessed knights[last staircase before penetrator] got in good hits with my compadres and I had to go it alone. Have any tips for him. I was doing well until he impaled me.

Defuser said:
Gate 1-1 opens with either black or white tendency but Miralda drop different things depending on the tendency.

Black tendency - Miralda(BP),she will drop Guillotine Axe.

White tendency - Miralda(human),she will drop binded armor(female) & master ring.

Edit : Btw what's your soul level? we should do some coop next time.
Well I'm in human form. I think my tendency is white? Not sure but will that steel gate just open or a key is needed?

Defuser

RavenFox said:
I did co-op after that huge knight and we were kicking ass. Those red eyed possessed knights[last staircase before penetrator] got in good hits with my compadres and I had to go it alone. Have any tips for him. I was doing well until he impaled me.

Well I'm in human form. I think my tendency is white? Not sure but will that steel gate just open or a key is needed?
If you save bior,he will help you and most the time the penetrator will target him giving you free hits on the penetrator.
* Obtain iron key from the Fat Minister in 1-3
* Backtrack to the area in between the 1-2 boss and the drawbridge, the door can be unlocked using iron key
* Defeat the Fat Minister down there and rescue Biorr.
* He drop Brushwood Armor + Shield if killed.
* He will help you on 1-4 2nd time blue dragon.
Gate 1-1 will be gone therefore you can go in. To check your tendency,just look at the map.

Boss Man

Tailzo said:
Thanks, I got free shipping too.

Done, however they think I will not recieve the game before the 3rd May.

They told me mid-April, got it a few days ago.

Is there another way to kill the dragon in 1-2 if I don't have arrows? I tried standing on the first tower and using bolts, then magic. Couldn't touch him with either. Arrows are the only thing that go into an aiming mode right?

Defuser

StateofMind said:
Is there another way to kill the dragon in 1-2 if I don't have arrows? I tried standing on the first tower and using bolts, then magic. Couldn't touch him with either. Arrows are the only thing that go into an aiming mode right?
I kill it with bolts without lockon at the first tower. Moving your right stick will position where you shots are gonna be.

RavenFox

Banned
Defuser said:
If you save bior,he will help you and most the time the penetrator will target him giving you free hits on the penetrator.
* Backtrack to the area in between the 1-2 boss and the drawbridge, the door can be unlocked using iron key
Gate 1-1 will be gone therefore you can go in. To check your tendency,just look at the map.
Wow thanks Defuser.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Zefah said:

It really wasn't all that difficult and I died far fewer times than my first playthrough.

I started my third playthrough and killed Phalanx with ease (two casts of 炎の嵐 - Fire Storm). I am Soul Level 132 now with about 60 hours on the clock, and I will probably only be playing the game off and on now, but I still want to get all of the trophies eventually.

How close are you to completeing the trophies after 2 play-throughs? It looks like to me you'd have to have 3 play-throughs at least since some of the boss souls have 3 uses.

Also, fuck Maneater! Holy shit I can't beat him solo. Tried 3 times yesterday and gave up. Gonna try a few more times before seeking help.

Boss Man

As much as I love this game, it does have its hitches. Been getting a lot of weird bugs with the graphics and it freezes quite a bit too. Game is good enough to deal with it though.

Doctor_No

Zefah said:

The second play-though took a lot less time then I expected. I'm playing off and on, but I'm trying to do all the hidden events and trying to forge some of the weapons that I haven't . Lv150 at the moment, and I'm thinking of doing the Mephistopheles quest that require me to kill most of the NPCs in the Nexus this time around.

While I've been playing mostly 7th Dragon for over the last week, but this is one of the few games I've been playing consistently off-and-on for well over a month. I rarely have this much of an attention span for a game, so this is a testament to its quality and how captivating it is. Hope this game has done well enough for Sony and From that they will continue this series (and release it world-wide).

RavenFox

Banned
Ok how the heck do I hit the blue dragon resting on the hill? I've tried my arrows up close and it doesn't register a hit. I've already slain the red one on the way to the Tower Knight.

edit:eek:ops looks like I have to get him in 1-4. Im up to that so might as well.

finally got my copy at my local import store. I've been reserving this game since last months and I still got the last copy, the store must have forgot my reservation or something.

anyway, put some 3-4 hours into it, just got the cling ring and decide to go back to nexus. died tons of times, return to collect my blood mark then progress a little bit to die again.

thankfully, the combat is so awesome even fighting grunts are fun. I love parrying the armored grunt and 1 hit kill them. so satisfying.

a couple questions:

can you sell useless equipment? I got a bunch of slave shield and soldier shield an the stat are lower than my starting equipment. currentlly, I just stash them to the storage guy in nexus.

what's the white ghost roaming around the level? I know the red ghost is just a replay of their death when you touch their bloodmark. those white ghost can't atack my enemy right?

how do I manual aim while using bow? I manage to buy bow after numerous times dying and collecting own bloodmark, but don't know how to manual aim. same with bombs, can you aim them?

RavenFox

Banned
Callibretto said:
finally got my copy at my local import store. I've been reserving this game since last months and I still got the last copy, the store must have forgot my reservation or something.

anyway, put some 3-4 hours into it, just got the cling ring and decide to go back to nexus. died tons of times, return to collect my blood mark then progress a little bit to die again.

thankfully, the combat is so awesome even fighting grunts are fun. I love parrying the armored grunt and 1 hit kill them. so satisfying.

a couple questions:

can you sell useless equipment? I got a bunch of slave shield and soldier shield an the stat are lower than my starting equipment. currently, I just stash them to the storage guy in nexus.

what's the white ghost roaming around the level? I know the red ghost is just a replay of their death when you touch their bloodmark. those white ghost can't atack my enemy right?

how do I manual aim while using bow? I manage to buy bow after numerous times dying and collecting own bloodmark, but don't know how to manual aim. same with bombs, can you aim them?

All your questions are already answered in this thread plus the WIki has much needed info.
You cannot sell equipment so store what you don't need.
White ghost are actually players logged into the server just like you. No, they cannot attack you but black phantoms can. Yes you can do a co-op game.
L1 twice to aim with bow. R3 to lock on target to toss firebombs.

Check the OP for the Wiki link to this game. You will need it.

Oh and Holy Moly at the
great club
I'm loving this weapon.

Defuser said:
Is Bior the guy in 1-1 who's surrounded?

Cause I rescued him, he gave me a telescope then started beating the shit out of mobs so I left him alone, every time I'd pass by the route above that courtyard I'd be getting souls as he fucked shit up but one time I just barely saw him getting killed in that pit with the barrels so I checked it out and found the key for the mausoleum.

My soul level is in the high 40s or early 50s? I don't remember off the top of my head, but we should totally do some co/op. You're already in my friends list (I'm HerrHelmt)

RavenFox

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Is Bior the guy in 1-1 who's surrounded?

Cause I rescued him, he gave me a telescope then started beating the shit out of mobs so I left him alone, every time I'd pass by the route above that courtyard I'd be getting souls as he fucked shit up but one time I just barely saw him getting killed in that pit with the barrels so I checked it out and found the key for the mausoleum.

My soul level is in the high 40s or early 50s? I don't remember off the top of my head, but we should totally do some co/op. You're already in my friends list (I'm HerrHelmt)
Nah that's not him.There's a door just inside the hallway before the Tower Knight, BUT you have to get the key from one of those fat magician bastards further up. You said you beat Penetrator so if you looted the bodies of the fat magicians you should have the key to the door and just follow Defusers instructions.

Defuser you rock. I had a summoned comrade with me when I made it to Penetrator. Bior showed up just as I entered the fog and what an epic battle it was. Bior talking trash and laying down some hellmakers lol. My comrade attacking with magic and me with melee attacks. I cannot describe how much I love this game and why it owns every other RPG in its class. WOW!

Also for those who love playing in human form[like me] do yourself a favor make sure you get the graverobbers ring. That ring does wonders to shield you from detection by invading black phantoms. You can also purchase it as a miracle but the effects wear off after while and you will have to recast the spell. Its in 4-1 in the first room I think or along the side of a cliff wall outside that room. Anyway its in 4-1 so loot everything.

RavenFox said:
Nah that's not him.There's a door just inside the hallway before the Tower Knight, BUT you have to get the key from one of those fat magician bastards further up. You said you beat Penetrator so if you looted the bodies of the fat magicians you should have the key to the door and just follow Defusers instructions.

Defuser you rock. I had a summoned comrade with me when I made it to Penetrator. Bior showed up just as I entered the fog and what an epic battle it was. Bior talking trash and laying down some hellmakers lol. My comrade attacking with magic and me with melee attacks. I cannot describe how much I love this game and why it owns every other RPG in its class. WOW!

Also for those who love playing in human form[like me] do yourself a favor make sure you get the graverobbers ring. That ring does wonders to shield you from detection by invading black phantoms. You can also purchase it as a miracle but the effects wear off after while and you will have to recast the spell. Its in 4-1 in the first room I think or along the side of a cliff wall outside that room. Anyway its in 4-1 so loot everything.
AHA! Good shit, I'll go let the bastard out.

And Black Phantom invasions are fun as fuck, that warning pops up and I just backtrack to the waystone to kick ass. I've had a bunch happen when I was doing co/op with 2 other guys, poor bastard.

(and new avatar get, love ya Gene, but it's time for a change.)

I just can't describe how AWSOME this game is.

The levels, the atmosphere, the ULTRA PRECISE controls, sound effects, boss themes and overall design is what I waited for since this generation started. I always liked From Software offerings, but this time they have outdone themselves.

I've just beaten the dragon god in 2-3, which made the fog dissapear and opened the entrance to the castle. I loved this part of the castle.

I still haven't figured out what white and black phantons are and what happens if you kill/are killed by another player?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom