• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWood12

No, those guns were used because they were awesome with or without elements.

FB was the only handcannon with Firefly. Add Outlaw too and a huge clip? It's ridiculous. There's a reason people were using FB even when there was no Arc shields, like in Crota's End.

VoC is a super stable scout with awesome sights, huge clip and the only full auto scout at the time.

Hung Jury is awesome.
Zhalo Supercell is awesome.
NTTE is awesome
Grasp of Malok is awesome
Nirwen's Mercy is awesome
Imagoo Loop is awesome
Tread's Upon Stars is awesome

Hell my Paleocontact is awesome. I've used more primaries in the last month than the previous 6 months combined, because they're each useful for different situations, and in my opinion, it's more fun. I understand where you're coming from though. I love Fatebringer as much as anyone, so you better believe I'll be farming the shit out of undying mind the next time it's the nightfall in hopes of an Imago Loop w/ outlaw & firefly.

stb

Re: elemental primaries: I wonder if having artifacts bestow an element to primaries would work. Maybe under certain conditions (e.g. when super is full, trade grenades or charged melee for it)?

I guess people could just get artifacts for each element, but at least it'd keep the viable weapon sandbox wide, and make the artifacts useful.

Edit: maybe make such artifacts exotic and use the armor exotic slot?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They should make other guns have more interesting perks then. Removing options is never a good thing, if the gun legendary/exotic gun design is so bad that they have to remove options to make them feel interesting and strong, that's not the fault of having more options
Ironic, also they should give guns more interesting perks is easier said than done.

Lothars

Could work, but other systems tie into that too. For instance, if it took weapon parts at all it would still serve to create the divide Luke mentioned. You'd upgrade a few weapons you know you like and then not experiment as much. Again, this is a symptom of other systems that need to be changed concurrently.
The weapon part nerf is a huge negative to the game, they need to change that yesterday.

They dropped the ball on that and they dropped the ball on elemental primaries. They need to step it up and pick it up.

I'm just curious, why did you want elemental primaries for so badly? There aren't a lot of shielded characters in the entire game.

People wanted them for burns. They made Nightfalls trivial. I asked about them because I emphatically didn't want them. How many of you ever used an exotic in PvE after the Vault? They were all kinetic. But now I can use Hawkmoon or Red Death or Bad Juju and they're all valid and fun.

That said, elemental primaries are something unique. There are two things I'm looking for in Hard Mode. Unique mechanics and/or unique loot.

I was disappointed in Normal Mode's incredibly punitive & rigid mechanics and was hoping that Hard would shake things up. Instead it's only added wrinkles. (Although, they look like interesting wrinkles, to be fair.)

I asked because from what I saw: Hard mode's loot appears to only differ in color and light, which isn't really enticing.

But that also made the raids the ONLY compelling content though as far as drops once you were max level. Now I can go run strikes and get rad guns. i can run Vex strikes and possibly get an Imago Loop w/ Firefly (& outlaw for that matter). Now you can actually get worthwhile weapons and armor from multiple activities; not just whatever the current end-game HM activity is and Trials.

This is an interesting point. I'm not sure I have a reply for this other than the hardest activity in the game requiring 6 people to complete should have an equivalent reward?

Klyka

Banned
THE WEAPONS PART NERF!!!!

Is all I ever read.

25% ooohh noooooo not a quarter!

Jesus Christ People Keep acting as if they removed weapon parts entirely

inthrall

They should make other guns have more interesting perks then. Removing options is never a good thing, if the gun legendary/exotic gun design is so bad that they have to remove options to make them feel interesting and strong, that's not the fault of having more options

Theyre not removing it because its bad for exotics, theyre removing it to bring to power of legendary primaries down. Before, against shields it was a 1/3 chance to do bonus damage basically, now you have to choose to do more damage vs a gun you like

McArkus

No, those guns were used because they were awesome with or without elements.

FB was the only handcannon with Firefly. Add Outlaw too and a huge clip? It's ridiculous. There's a reason people were using FB even when there was no Arc shields, like in Crota's End.

VoC is a super stable scout with awesome sights, huge clip and the only full auto scout at the time.

Yes to this, it was so much fun to use VoG guns, now not so much with the nerfs, but still an enjoyable experience.

zewone

Hung Jury is awesome.
Zhalo Supercell is awesome.
NTTE is awesome
Grasp of Malok is awesome
Nirwen's Mercy is awesome
Imagoo Loop is awesome
Tread's Upon Stars is awesome

Hell my Paleocontact is awesome. I've used more primaries in the last month than the previous 6 months combined, because they're each useful for different situations, and in my opinion, it's more fun.

Imago Loop and Tread Upon Stars are FB and VoC clones. There's a reason those are awesome.

I think there's a ton of great primaries and I don't think by adding elements that it would somehow make those disappear.

My main concern with the removal of elemental primaries is that it ruins the end game of Destiny.

There is nothing great left to chase after.

Whether there's an element or not, we all use the same 2 or 3 primaries anyways. I've used Hung Jury for about 95% of the game since I got it. The other time I use the raid pulse or ToM. That's it. Everything else just isn't as good, and that's including the exotics.
I personally don't even care about elemental primaries, but the loot for the hard raid is really lame. There needs to be a better incentive. Even another shitty exotic weapon would be nice. I don't know.

A shitty day, rolls into a shitty night, constantly getting pecked over my shoulder whilst trying to play, then people who i'd told not to come around, come around.....Aaarrrrrrrggggh

Seeing as Luke's here, 2 shards from Totems is that right/possible?

Lothars

Imago Loop and Tread Upon Stars are FB and VoC clones. There's a reason those are awesome.

I think there's a ton of great primaries and I don't think by adding elements that it would somehow make those disappear.

My main concern with the removal of elemental primaries is that it ruins the end game of Destiny.

There is nothing great left to chase after.
Exactly, that's why I don't get the people celebrating this and thinking it's a good thing Bungie has done.

I don't see this as a positive at all and I think Bungie needs to reevaluate this.

Whether there's an element or not, we all use the same 2 or 3 primaries anyways. I've used Hung Jury for about 95% of the game since I got it. The other time I use the raid pulse or ToM. That's it. Everything else just isn't as good, and that's including the exotics.
I personally don't even care about elemental primaries, but the loot for the hard raid is really lame. There needs to be a better incentive. Even another shitty exotic weapon would be nice. I don't know.
Yeah I don't know how they thought that an upgraded light level of existing raid primaries was a good place to leave the hard mode loot at.

The weapon part nerf is a huge negative to the game, they need to change that yesterday.

They dropped the ball on that and they dropped the ball on elemental primaries. They need to step it up and pick it up.
I agree, it unnecessarily prolongs the grind. But, if they are going forward with no elemental primaries, then the t makes sense to put elements on the other exotics. Because they are not exotic.

If they were to add a system to put elements on weapons, I'd rather see a mechanic to simply change the existing elements on guns (exotics excluded) to whatever you want, making it cost some combo of materials. This would be similar to re-rolling, but just for the element and determinant.

hydruxo

CSBqEPWUwAATMbf.png

zewone

Exactly. Hung Jury has to be the #1 most used primary in the entire population.

People are always going to gravitate towards the best/easiest to obtain primary and stick with that. Regardless of element.

Like the fact that each subsequent DLC made the previous raid gear a joke?

You could get vendor gear that outranked your raid gear easily.

You still had to quest through the missions before you could start gearing up for the Raid. So the vendor gear (which is a decieving term to use since you can't just buy the whole set right off the bat) being stronger didn't invalidate the previous Tier of Raid Gear.

When TDB came out, I could do every mission on Hard instead of normal, thanks to my gear being maxed out. That meant more XP per mission, which leveled my gear faster, which meant higher LL faster. Which meant I had an easier time when it came to doing the harder content (Higher level strikes and NF).

So no, Raid gear wasn't a joke. It was eventually replaced, sure. That's the nature of Tiered gear.

I don't have a problem with elemental primaries leaving, but people are fooling themselves if they think the elemental damage was why we used fatebringer. Loadout variety in year one was limited because some guns were just far better than others. The only time I ever thought about elements was nightfall burns, but I consistently used fatebringer because I like hand cannons and it was really good for PvE. If you look at the Crota weapons most of us never used any outside of the occasional fang despite them all being elemental. I can guarantee you that not many would use the elemental versions of KF weapons exclusively since most aren't even that great to begin with.

MrDaravon

Yet, I am limited to using a few weapons anyway because of the weapon parts nerf. And it was limiting before the nerf.

Thanks alot.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup lol. The irony is there for sure. Was shocked yesterday to see I was continuing to go negative on Weapon parts from when the nerf hit even though I swear I had only upgraded 2 or 3 (exotic) weapons since then. It's ridiculous. Unless GAF or Reddit swears up or down a gun is absolute best in class it immediately gets sharded now. I'm not even placing orders at the gunsmith anymore since I already don't really need Marks anymore.

So stupid.

KeRaSh

Saved up 150 marks and immediately got myself a Y2 Suros. Now I need a few marks to infuse my 1000 Year Stare and rocket launcher with stuff that I found.
Also got a Dead Orbit rank up package and got a legendary chest armor which replaced my lowest level blue armor piece. Still not sure what exotic armor to wear. Not really content with any of the available Y2 editions as a Warlock... Give me Sunbreakers or Purifier Robes please!

lt519

A shitty day, rolls into a shitty night, constantly getting pecked over my shoulder whilst trying to play, then people who i'd told not to come around, come around.....Aaarrrrrrrggggh

Seeing as Luke's here, 2 shards from Totems is that right/possible?

Sounds like you got the NM drop (a crappy one at that) and no luck on the HM drop (even crappier).

What's the verdict on HM? Anyone got a run down of the changes? Wasn't gonna go near it as my Halo 5 arrived but 343 are cunts and won't let me play it until release so I'm gonna try some raiding tonight.

zewone

I don't have a problem with elemental primaries leaving, but people are fooling themselves if they think the elemental damage was why we used fatebringer. Loadout variety in year one was limited because some guns were just far better than others. The only time I ever thought about elements was nightfall burns, but I consistently used fatebringer because I like hand cannons and it was really good for PvE. If you look at the Crota weapons most of us never used any outside of the occasional fang despite them all being elemental. I can guarantee you that not many would use the elemental versions of KF weapons exclusively since most aren't even that great to begin with.

Someone else who gets it.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom