• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dove takes a stand against overly sexualized women in video games

CGNoire

To be fair the bolded is a LIE! Most people see fatties, but don't say anything because that's just rude man. What kind of A-Hole tells people that they are fat?
Yep. The only way people should be confronting fat people is if it comes from someone they know cares about them and isnt presenting it in a malicious fashion. People on the street or work colleages calling people fat is just an excuse to bully.

We need balance people not more overcorrection.

Last edited:
Sexualized females still exist in modern video games??? Thin equals overly sexualized I guess. They should get rid of so called overly-sexualized or beautiful females in all types of entertainment and social media to balance things out, you know. To be fair, get rid of all the handsome, muscular guys in video games as well. Surely that makes men feel insecure as well because most”real” men do not look like that in real life and they might feel inferior to those pixels on their screen.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

This is Family Guy levels of cutaway joke, about a decade and a half ago. (In fact I can think of at least one similar they did with Captain Kirk).

Or maybe they just urge fat people to dress their size and not squeeze their vital organs out of place. Which is somethin.

CGNoire

DdMFPpw.jpg
Mcana-Christ

PeteBull

So....when are hot women going to start accepting overweight men?
Men and women dont look at same things, we as guys are attracted to youth and beauty, women on avg are attracted to wealth and power(aka certain security for them and their offspring) and the looks are just a welcome bonus, ofc on avg so cant 100% generalise it, but thats how it is :p

Woke bubble ppl keep telling different things ofc but just check how things work irl, not on those woke sites/chat groups etc, and u will quickly reach the truth ;D

Last edited:

CGNoire

Sure man. I’ll be whatever you want me to be because I said words you don’t agree with. Whatever you think I am, that’s what I am.
Listen I definitely felt a good amount of cringe when I saw some of the late 90s early 2000s gaming ads and how imature whey are as well as stuff like DOA Volleyball. Also some of the current releases from japan can still have that effecf but whats happening here is a massive, dangerous and completely self serving overcorrection.

99% of the population plays games for escape not for representation. Companies cant help themselves salivating at the chance they can get us to rap or personal idenities into the characters they lease us. Its completly dystopian at this point.

I share some of your cringe I just dont think this is an appropriate thread to air it considering how ridiculas this ad is.

Last edited:
After a little bit of thought, I don’t see what the huge problem is. We have shit loads of violence in games and characters that are wildly unrealistic in others, I don’t see the harm in some larger women player characters. It’s a fucking video game.

Edit: I will say though that promoting fat women as healthy and beautiful is absolutely not the right message to send.

Last edited:
Listen I definitely felt a good amount of cringe when I saw some of the late 90s early 2000s gaming ads and how imature whey are as well as stuff like DOA Volleyball. Also some of the current releases from japan can still have that effecf but whats happening here is a massive, dangerous and completely self serving overcorrection.

99% of the population plays games for escape not for representation. Companies cant help themselves salivating at the chance they can get us to rap or personal idenities into the characters they lease us. Its completly dystopian at this point.

I share some of your cringe I just dont think this is an appropriate thread to air it considering how ridiculas this ad is.
I agree with most of what you said, but as for these companies taking stances like this. The market has a way of correcting itself and if the like to dislike ratio of the YouTube video is any indication, the public has spoken, and if Dove is remotely aware they will change course moving forward. In the end the only thing they care about is making money and if this ad doesn’t get them there it’s unlikely they’ll continue.

CGNoire

I agree with most of what you said, but as for these companies taking stances like this. The market has a way of correcting itself and if the like to dislike ratio of the YouTube video is any indication, the public has spoken, and if Dove is remotely aware they will change course moving forward. In the end the only thing they care about is making money and if this ad doesn’t get them there it’s unlikely they’ll continue.
I hope your right and I think your being logical about this but I think logic with these companies died out awhile ago and all that matters now is pushing there ideologies. Religeon matters way more than money these days. Although I would agree its never been that way in the past but existensial dread caused by endless future shock which is only getting worse as we move closer and closer towards singlarity has pushed everyone into taking refuge into some ideological cult blanket of one type or another. It will probably come to an end eventually but after how much harm? These companies are not connected to reality at all anymore.

I hope you’re right and I think you’re being logical about this but I think logic with these companies died out awhile ago and all that matters now is pushing there ideologies. Religeon matters way more than money these days. Although I would agree its never been that way in the past but existensial dread caused by endless future shock which is only getting worse as we move closer and closer towards singlarity has pushed everyone into taking refuge into some ideological cult blanket of one type or another. It will probably come to an end eventually but after how much harm? These companies are not connected to reality at all anymore.
I think it’s social media to be perfectly honest. They want to run ads that resonate with people and drive up their engagement, so they get likes and retweets and whatever else they need so they have a presence in online spaces — but the only reality that matters in the end is wether or not they are making money, and how these ads affect sales, because Dove could have all the e-clout they can handle but if stuff like this hurts their sales they’ll 180 and act like they never said shit about it.

Personally I think this bullshit is just a trend right now and will pass, but it’s likely whatever the next trend is they’ll trip over their dicks to follow it. This really is nothing new.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Fuck this. Life is too short to play videogames with fat ugly females, or males for that matter.

Also be my guest and try to “change beauty”. I am sure forcing fat people into media even more will make them more attractive to normal people /s

Last edited:

CGNoire

Yeah, shit on them all you want, but you have to admit that their soap products and body lotions are top notch.
No quite the opposite. My mom used to store tens of boxes of Dove products in our garage when I was young and for obvious reasons we used dove alot.

There whole 1/4 moisturizer they put in there bars fucking stinks. And because it absorbs into your skin no amount of water can wash it away. Thinking about it right now is making me feel queazy.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Ah, don't you miss when videogames was a more niche hobby and not nearly as mainstream and lowest common denominator-y as it is now?

Good times.
Back in the 80's/90's if there was even a hint you played, urgh, 'computer games' you were branded a nerd or a 'geek'

Now we've got fat ugly women trying to tell gamers how to be a nerd/geek because they feel left out :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuck off women, leave your feelings at the door.

hlm666

Don't people take smaller/skinnier models in competitive games so they are harder to see and hit? On a design level it's why tracer and widow are like they are and zarya is larger, same with like roadhog/reinhart vs soldier. If the game i'm playing has any customisation and has pvp I drag the height and body size sliders to the minimum and don't try make it like the rock or something. If it's a pve game I normally try make the stupidest blue biggest smurf I can to laugh during cut scenes.

CGNoire

This really is nothing new.
The shear level of organization of it to the point in forcing companies to comply via social media, ownership of most large brands, and enforcment via ESG scores changing...(cough.. cough Rigging)...the playing field is most certainly new.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Or the easiest solution is let devs design their characters however they want, if western devs want design their characters fat & ugly then let them and Japanese devs wants design their characters good looking & sexy then they also should be free to do so.

If devs lose the freedom to make what they want to make then this industry is really fucked.
Western Devs do not "want" to play as fat people.
They "want" to win the culture war and secure as much political power as possible from future generations.

BbMajor7th

Funnily enough, when Marvel did flip this in Avengers End Game, with a badly out-of-shape Thor, a lot of men I know said they really didn't like it. And these are guys who were being - how shall I put it? - more fairly represented by Endgame Thor than they ever were by the previous God-bod Thor.

It was a really interesting moment. Men are seemingly less keen to see their flabby dad-bods up on the screen.

Last edited:

GenericUser

No quite the opposite. My mom used to store tens of boxes of Dove products in our garage when I was young and for obvious reasons we used dove alot.

There whole 1/4 moisturizer they put in there bars fucking stinks. And because it absorbs into your skin no amount of water can wash it away. Thinking about it right now is making me feel queazy.
I never thought about this. You're right, fuck dove™!

Disco Dave

Maybe it's just me but I would pay top dollar to see a chubby Lara Croft waddle her way through the original Tomb Raider.

She/he/they could stop every five minutes for some "me time" and a quick scroll through all their Tinder dick pics. Maybe log into Era to complain about some under representation in videogames and screech about who has offended them this week.

For that extra kick of realism, they would leave each sacred Tomb like a Woodstock festival with shit strewn everywhere. Crisp packets and sweets blowing in the wind. A big turd lying in the open because they didn't have the decency to bury it. Scawl their name in some wall. Knocking over ancient statues and monuments because it offends them in some way.

If you want to be represented, you may as well go hog wild and do it right.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So their implication is that "representing" women means showing women who are out of shape. Because obviously, women aren't capable of taking care of themselves. That's crazy misogynistic.
They don’t care about representation. They see their consumers as meat. Simple as that. Bigger meat bigger consumption.

BbMajor7th

This forum's hate boner for Aloy is bizarre, but not that shocking.

What is shocking is that despite the fact that one of the most recognisable brands in gaming has made one of their flagship characters a non-sexualised, non-prettified, strong, LGBTQ woman, there's very little credit for doing so from those that demanded it. It's like the entire debate is just stuck in 2010 and it doesn't matter if there's been a major shift in response to complaints, the complaints carry on, like change hasn't been very noticeably forthcoming.

Is this the change that's been asked for? Or is it just about complaining for its own sake at this stage?

MMaRsu

Banned
Funnily enough, when Marvel did flip this in Avengers End Game, with a badly out-of-shape Thor, a lot of men I know said they really didn't like it. And these are guys who were being - how shall I put it? - more fairly represented by Endgame Thor than they ever were by the previous God-bod Thor.

It was a really interesting moment. Men are seemingly less keen to see their flabby dad-bods up on the screen.
Guys didnt? I thought it was hilarious and it was mostly women dripping on Hemsworth who didnt like it.

mdkirby

It’s all very weird. Like I’m fine with diversity, and having a broader mix of character types. Tho as a scrawny male I’m not exactly represented, given all the male characters look like models or gruff men and all look like they spend plenty of time in the gym.

What makes no sense is doing that at the expense of other character designs and philosophies of design or concepts of beauty.

If I go to any wine bar or street on a Friday night in my city a good 60-70% of women are dressed up in an “overly sexualised” manner. If they can prove to me that girls/women don’t wear plunging neck line dresses, miniskirts, wear makeup, high heels etc…then sure they’d have a point. But that’s not reality by a long stretch.

Humanity is a broad mix of people, which is kinda supposedly their whole point regarding inclusivity. Yet they are wilfully choosing to ignore reality and discriminate and exclude a not small portion of humanity when taking this sort of extreme stance, as opposed to just adding in IN ADDITION less sexualised characters. And come back to me when the next action hero is a white male 5ft 8” 8stone geek, because i feel discriminated against by a prejudiced society 🤦‍♂️.

Edit- and on that point no, I don’t want an action hero like myself. I want a character that looks like a bloody action hero.

Last edited:
The past 10 or so years have been driving me insane, I don't know how much more of this insanity I can take. Why can't we just enjoy things anymore? Why does everything need to be some fake battle
But that's precisely what the KGB, the CCP and their fifth column in the west wants. Don't let them get you.

I don't think obese is beautiful either. How about a middle ground? I wish Dove was more concerned with healthy lifestyles and the growing diabetes epidemic.

It certainly will help buckle an already strained healthcare system.
Dove is a for profit company. There are a lot of fat people now and they want to be vindicated.

What do you think makes more €$¥ for Dove? IT'S OKAY TO BE A FATTIE or GO TO THE GYM HAM BEASTS

Fredrik

You can’t go to the gym to get bigger breasts so that comparison is flawed.
But the real issue is not being able to handle that someone has something you don’t have yourself. It probably don’t stop at muscles and breasts. These people likely go through life angry bitter and sad from constantly comparing and losing some life competition they have going on in their head. They’ll have a hard time getting older for sure.

Top Bottom