• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leatherface

This wait is killing me. Today would have been the perfect day to play this. bah!! BTW what is this 16th/17th launch BS? I opened mine in Origin and it tells me the 18th. :'(

Pizoxuat

Well, in DAO and DA2 I already established that only pickpockets can change the world, so I will be going with female Qunari rogue this time around, probably a tempest. The description for tempest + giant horned woman tickles me. For romance, it looks like it'll come down to either Blackwall or Josephine, I'll just have to see how it plays out in game.

This wait is killing me. Today would have been the perfect day to play this. bah!! BTW what is this 16th/17th launch BS? I opened mine in Origin and it tells me the 18th. :'(

Time zones. In the US alone the way it works is:

Eastern: Midnight of the 18th

Central: 11 pm of the 17th

Pacific/Worst coast: 9 pm of the 17th

But there are countries that due to timezones get it earlier than the rest of the world, and some are planning to use VPN on their PC copy to play the game earlier.

Sigfodr

Not playing until Tuesday evening. Months ago when I pre-ordered on Amazon (PS4) I figured I wouldn't be dying to play it ASAP, but now that the week of release is here, I'm kind of dying. It's for the best though, I have plenty of classwork to do between now and Tuesday morning, plus Monday night's Gotham to review.

Anyone else waiting until later Tuesday or Wednesday and doing their best to not scream internally?

Ketch

I think this might be the only major release I buy this year. Still concerned that somehow some weird server issue is going to screw up single player in some weird way.... I want to buy it early to preload, but have reservations about preordering.

Leatherface

Time zones. In the US alone the way it works is:

Eastern: Midnight of the 18th

Central: 11 pm of the 17th

Pacific/Worst coast: 9 pm of the 17th

But there are countries that due to timezones get it earlier than the rest of the world, and some are planning to use VPN on their PC copy to play the game earlier.

Good point. Didn't think of that. Thanks

Soren01

img_20141116_18191430kmrka.jpg

:')

I am really trying to decide if I should just jump in at the third game in the trilogy or start from the beginning on the 360. Is there a lot I will miss and not be able to appreciate?

LX_Theo

Banned
Not playing until Tuesday evening. Months ago when I pre-ordered on Amazon (PS4) I figured I wouldn't be dying to play it ASAP, but now that the week of release is here, I'm kind of dying. It's for the best though, I have plenty of classwork to do between now and Tuesday morning, plus Monday night's Gotham to review.

Anyone else waiting until later Tuesday or Wednesday and doing their best to not scream internally?
Have class until early afternoon. Also ordered from Amazon. Not as bad, but I sure won't be firing it up as soon as others.

newsguy

My 6 hours just ended in the EA trial and I'm hoping there's some parity between both versions because I don't want to have to play the early parts over again if I have to go with the PS4 version. I'm not very big into these types of games but I adored Skyrim and it this game really invokes that kind of awe like it's a world I want to explore.

I am really trying to decide if I should just jump in at the third game in the trilogy or start from the beginning on the 360. Is there a lot I will miss and not be able to appreciate?

Unfortunately yes, there's going to be a lot of little things you likely won't pick up on and won't be able to appreciate. What really makes DA great is the lore and the context/story. You can read up on some of the beginner's guides and that will definitely suffice for the major plot points that may play a role in Inquisition, but if you're looking for the greatest amount of immersion, it really doesn't substitute having played the first game at least and seen the characters and places for yourself. The biggest difference would be missing out on the tiny references, quotes, notes, books, codex entries, etc. that spark a memory of the earlier games.

That being said... DA:O is a game that didn't exactly age well, at least in my opinion. Amazing for 2009, but not for 2014. It's a great story and a great experience though if you've never played it.

DA:O is a relatively long game in itself though. Would probably take you ~30+ hours on normal even while avoiding a lot of the side quests. If you do everything, it can exceed 50 hours.

Edit: I should also mention that there's very little from outside the main "plot" of DA2 that I would consider important with regards to Inquisition; if you've played DA2 you'll know Varric a little bit better, but that game really has very little overall purpose. DA:O is the one that matters

Hoo-doo

Banned
I completely forgot about the entire romancing angle of Dragon Age games.

Fucking hated that shit in nearly every Bioware game, honestly. Wonder if you can bypass all that garbage.

Fucking hated that shit in nearly every Bioware game, honestly. Wonder if you can bypass all that garbage.

Well yeah. You can. You can always just not flirt with the characters and never accept advances. Nobody forces you to be in a romance.

Sou Da

Man I remember back in Kotor when the game took all control from me and made my character fuck Bastila right in front of HK-47.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I didn't intend to step on toes. My bad. I know a lot of people enjoy that part of the game.

I personally just don't like how these games' discussions are often sidetracked by who banged who by virtue of a very poorly written ham-fisted romance scene.

I'm just excited to finally playing a great RPG again on friday. Feels like it has been far too long.

I didn't intend to step on toes. My bad. I know a lot of people enjoy that part of the game.

I personally just don't like how these games' discussions are often sidetracked by who banged who by virtue of a very poorly written ham-fisted romance scene.

I'm just excited to finally playing a great RPG again on friday. Feels like it has been far too long.

Well the few people here whose sole contribution is "I want to bang this character so bad" are basically looked at strangely. People who enjoy it don't all fall in the same spectrum of how into it they get.

But it's fine man. Not everybody enjoys it.

Votron

I'm still expecting a game that will beat bayonetta 2 in overall scores before this year runs out...And at this point I really doubt it.

So for all of those who are planning to unlock early, do you get achievements offline in Origin? I assume once unlocked Origin will have to be offline until the time/day it is officially released in your country.

Tovarisc

Semi off-topic, but on topic of romances I liked how Witcher 2 did them.

They didn't have you holding hands and having long walks on the beach while running for flowers and chocolate. Interactions and growth of relationship between e.g. Geralt and Ves felt natural and fluid which then... well lead to things.

So for all of those who are planning to unlock early, do you get achievements offline in Origin? I assume once unlocked Origin will have to be offline until the time/day it is officially released in your country.

If they have designed them wisely they have put trigger hooks into the game that then triggers achievements to unlock as you do needed things. Then when Origin gets online next time unlocked achievements get permanently synced to your profile.

Sou Da

I'm not too fond of it either unless it ties into the main plot, but I do hate it when people act like the game actually forces them into it.

Also wasn't shinobi supposed to do the OT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom