• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Auctopus

Been distracted for a bit with Dragon Age but I'm gonna head back on tonight and return to these challenges, especially these Viveks drift challenges I've heard so much about.

IKizzLE

Well we haven't got the private servers yet or an ETA for them so I should think you'll have plenty of time for your other games :)

Do we allow our non-GAFfer mates to enter the comp or is it strictly GAF only?

I can see club racing being a bit of an organisational nightmare - we do well to get 3 of us online at the same time so I very much doubt it would be 6 v 6. Think you could get a couple of mates back into the game?
If we were able to get all 6 of us online for club racing and there were private servers, I don't think we'd ever lose a team race.

v1lla21

Been distracted for a bit with Dragon Age but I'm gonna head back on tonight and return to these challenges, especially these Viveks drift challenges I've heard so much about.
Yeah his challenges are great.

I'd also be interested in the little tournament mentioned on the last page.

did it hang down on one side more than on the other?

Yep sounds like you've done yours in too - Sony are offering to replace them if you're still in warranty or there is a fix that someone in this thread recommended but I haven't got round to / been brave enough yet involving stripping it down and removing a spring.

If we were able to get all 6 of us online for club racing and there were private servers, I don't think we'd ever lose a team race.

I think we'd give most teams a run for their money, providing we didn't all take each other out going for the win! :)

Yeah his challenges are great.

I'd also be interested in the little tournament mentioned on the last page.

Cool, well that's 4 of us at least! :)

I might have to check out these drift challenges too...

Anarion07

Yep sounds like you've done yours in too - Sony are offering to replace them if you're still in warranty or there is a fix that someone in this thread recommended but I haven't got round to / been brave enough yet involving stripping it down and removing a spring.

I just did exactly that.
Works like a charm now.
But when you pull of the back lid, make sure you dont rip the R2 out with it.

I just did exactly that.
Works like a charm now.
But when you pull of the back lid, make sure you dont rip the R2 out with it.

Nice one, I'll have a go tonight :)

Play a few challenges then tries to communicate with the server after that, forever.

Hmm I have seen it do the waiting for server dots thing but didn't realise there was a pattern to it. Does leaving and going back into the challenge menu clear it?

Anarion07

Play a few challenges then tries to communicate with the server after that, forever.

When I have this issue I go back to the home screen -> Challenges.
And then wait for the numbers to pop up.
If I enter before the numbers are there, most of the time i get the communication issue

dreamstation

Gold Member
Really hoping to see some tournaments/leagues once private lobbies are up.

Any news on private lobbies and when we can expect them? My club has pretty much stopped playing for the time being until they get added. Real shame and a wonder why they weren't in from day one.

Also - how did you go with the suggestion of private lobbies tackling club challenges together in the same session? Anything to report?

Thanks!

Doombear

So so early into this game compared to most of you, having only had it for about a week and not being able to put much time into it yet. So far though, I am really enjoying it. I believe someone mentioned that it 'takes you back to earlier racing times in gaming" or something along those lines and I would have to agree. I have had to unlearn a few things, and relearn way more.

I am still working on that first hurdle of getting out of the first set of races, but learning drifting a bit and my victory is inching closer and closer!

geordiemp

So so early into this game compared to most of you, having only had it for about a week and not being able to put much time into it yet. So far though, I am really enjoying it. I believe someone mentioned that it 'takes you back to earlier racing times in gaming" or something along those lines and I would have to agree. I have had to unlearn a few things, and relearn way more.

I am still working on that first hurdle of getting out of the first set of races, but learning drifting a bit and my victory is inching closer and closer!

Noob here on my first race with justa T80 steering wheel.

When I tap brake before any corner my car veers off violently to the right, every single time - I thought if you brake when going straight you would slow down, but this game is just weird.

What am I doing wrong GAF ?

Am I better tapping the hand brake before each turn and sliding in ?

viveks86

Any news on private lobbies and when we can expect them? My club has pretty much stopped playing for the time being until they get added. Real shame and a wonder why they weren't in from day one.

Also - how did you go with the suggestion of private lobbies tackling club challenges together in the same session? Anything to report?

Thanks!

It's going to be a little while before private lobbies are out. Hopefully this quarter (just guessing. I'm not aware of a timeline). I did forward your idea about club challenges. Nothing more to report at this point

Noob here on my first race with justa T80 steering wheel.

When I tap brake before any corner my car veers off violently to the right, every single time - I thought if you brake when going straight you would slow down, but this game is just weird.

What am I doing wrong GAF ?

Am I better tapping the hand brake before each turn and sliding in ?

No it's not that kind of game, handbrake is only used for drifting and the tightest of hairpin bends.

As your on pedals I'd suggest gently pressing the pedal in whilst going in a straight line then letting of the brake gently on with the power when turning in. Start slow on a time trial and build up a feel for the handling on a track like Bandipur or Tamil Nadu India.

geordiemp

No it's not that kind of game, handbrake is only used for drifting and the tightest of hairpin bends.

As your on pedals I'd suggest gently pressing the pedal in whilst going in a straight line then letting of the brake gently on with the power when turning in. Start slow on a time trial and build up a feel for the handling on a track like Bandipur or Tamil Nadu India.

Is braking just bad in this game control wise or is it just the level 1 car ?

its hard to brake in a straight line, throws car wildly

viveks86

This is really strange. Braking in a straight line rarely ever causes this unless you go at full speed and slam the brakes. Even then, it shouldn't happen on the starter cars. Care to post a video?

IKizzLE

Man, if your having problems braking in a straight liline in the hatchback class, then your not gonna like this game later on.

geordiemp

Im using a T80...so

Regular brake is the left pedal (I might try L2 on the wheel see if its better)...

Handbrake is O....I tried this and it drifts / back kicks out

On first track when I am going full speed towards the first tight bend (3 or 4 bends in) when I stop accelerating and touch the left pedal before the bend car swerved to the right every time.

I will try braking by using the L2 button.

Makes the game really hard when braking is so tough on level 1 merc car

Hard work getting into this game because braking is so hard, seem to do OK just by releasing accelerator long before the 2 tight bends...but braking should not be so awkward

hawk2025

Having trouble unlocking the "win 5 Solo Challenges" trophy. I swear I must have won at least 10 so far, is there a catch I'm not aware of?

viveks86

I got home 30 minutes ago and beat your score on the 3rd run. Score to beat now is: 12,307.

Nice. Guess I know what I'm doing this night :D

Im using a T80...so

Regular brake is the left pedal (I might try L2 on the wheel see if its better)...

Handbrake is O....I tried this and it drifts / back kicks out

On first track when I am going full speed towards the first tight bend (3 or 4 bends in) when I stop accelerating and touch the left pedal before the bend car swerved to the right every time.

I will try braking by using the L2 button.

Makes the game really hard when braking is so tough on level 1 merc car

Hard work getting into this game because braking is so hard, seem to do OK just by releasing accelerator long before the 2 tight bends...but braking should not be so awkward

Can you try the same with a DS4 controller?

Having trouble unlocking the "win 5 Solo Challenges" trophy. I swear I must have won at least 10 so far, is there a catch I'm not aware of?

you need to be in the game when the last challenge is completed - they are aware of the issue and it'll prolly be patched soon

Shaneus

I tried that damn challenge. The section with the two or three corners (just before the start/finish line) I could *not* get a good run on. At all. I don't think I ever came closer than 1,500 points within your score on that section.

On that note, I love doing drift challenges. Hell, I love doing hot lap challenges for laps that are less than 1m30. Anything I can quickly retry is fantastic, which is why I shy away from the P2P ones.

v1lla21

I tried that damn challenge. The section with the two or three corners (just before the start/finish line) I could *not* get a good run on. At all. I don't think I ever came closer than 1,500 points within your score on that section.
Vivek made around 3k points on that section lol. It blew my mind at first then I started to watch his ghost and I was able to get it down.

geordiemp

Can you try the same with a DS4 controller?

The T80 is a bungie (no force feed back) wheel, but in the control options in Driveclub you have Force feedback 0 to 100 % option.

It was 70 %, I turned it down to 30 % and now when I brake car does not go so crazy...

Maybe its just me, but seems to be working now. There is no explanation for the T80 control options in Driveclub, it says

1. Force feedback 0 to 100 %
2. Drive wheel assist (on or off)
3. Vibration (high med low)

I have no idea what these do with a t80, but tried 30 % / On / Low and I can now brake without crazy control issues and won the first race easily....

Still confused by the settings lol

The T80 is a bungie (no force feed back) wheel, but in the control options in Driveclub you have Force feedback 0 to 100 % option.

It was 70 %, I turned it down to 30 % and now when I brake car does not go so crazy...

Maybe its just me, but seems to be working now. There is no explanation for the T80 control options in Driveclub, it says

I have no idea what these do with a t80, but tried 30 % / On / Low and I can now brake without crazy control issues and won the first race easily....

That's weird but good to know!

Shaneus

Vivek made around 3k points on that section lol. It blew my mind at first then I started to watch his ghost and I was able to get it down.
I tried watching it but still struggled. I hate that I'm always the guy who has 20+ attempts on a challenge when others are <10, so I kinda gave up after that!

viveks86

Interesting. Glad that you got it sorted out! :)

I tried watching it but still struggled. I hate that I'm always the guy who has 20+ attempts on a challenge when others are <10, so I kinda gave up after that!

The trick is to start the drift, turn the wheels in the opposite direction and go full throttle. This will force the vehicle to straighten up and overcompensate, which starts the drift immediately in the opposite direction. These 'S' drifts can rack up massive points. I once got 4400 on the same set of curves, but I screwed up the last turn. I'm not even near perfecting that run. I can see people going all the way up to 14-15K without cheating.

Haha you want to know how they do it? They don't finish the event and restart once they mess up :p I do it lol.

Also this. lol

v1lla21

Haha you want to know how they do it? They don't finish the event and restart once they mess up :p I do it lol.

Shaneus

The trick is to start the drift, turn the wheels in the opposite direction and go full throttle. This will force the vehicle to straighten up and overcompensate, which starts the drift immediately in the opposite direction. These 'S' drifts can rack up massive points. I once got 4400 on the same set of curves, but I screwed up the last turn. I'm not even near perfecting that run. I can see people going all the way up to 14-15K without cheating.
So turn into the corner at full lock, full on the throttle to step it out then go full opposite lock right away? I thought I was doing that, but may not be quick enough. Every so often I pull off a nice drift, but it tends to feel more like accident than skill.

I thought that still counted? Shit, that means some events I've retried WAY more times than I thought!

In these wet tracks I'm starting to want a wheel.

The DS4 control is well implemented but inevitably starts to get in the way because there is a lot of interpretation going on. It is fine for grip driving where you just concentrate on small movements of the steering wheel (which you still do even by moving the stick from one extreme to another) but catching the car when it breaks loose unexpectedly is harder and I'm sure you can get a lot more control in linked hairpins (and therefore speed) if you can really link the tire angle to your mind, with a wheel.

I'm curious on the wet tracks how many of the top times are done with a wheel. It would be nice to see the control method, gear auto or manual, and primary view used, against each entry in the high score table...

viveks86

So turn into the corner at full lock, full on the throttle to step it out then go full opposite lock right away? I thought I was doing that, but may not be quick enough. Every so often I pull off a nice drift, but it tends to feel more like accident than skill.

Yeah you need to be quick. If you let the first drift last too long, opposite lock will just prolong it. You will either run out of momentum or road

viveks86

I got home 30 minutes ago and beat your score on the 3rd run. Score to beat now is: 12,307.

Come at me, bro! :p

Q8985dZ.jpg

Shaneus

Yeah you need to be quick. If you let the first drift last too long, opposite lock will just prolong it. You will either run out of momenum or road
Ahhhhh. I think that's what I needed to know! I don't think I'll be in home for that drift challenge (wait... it has a day or so to go, yeah?) but I'll give some of the career drift events a shot with that mindset. Thanks!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

On that note, I love doing drift challenges.

I sent you a couple of very eawy ones. ;-)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Some Drift Challenges I've had 30+ attempts, doesn't phase me as I love the drifting in this. Some dude in the top ranked club (something Wolves) had the top score but he was doing multiple drifts in each section. I managed to get within 50pts of his score without exploits and I am happy with that.

In these wet tracks I'm starting to want a wheel.

The DS4 control is well implemented but inevitably starts to get in the way because there is a lot of interpretation going on. It is fine for grip driving where you just concentrate on small movements of the steering wheel (which you still do even by moving the stick from one extreme to another) but catching the car when it breaks loose unexpectedly is harder and I'm sure you can get a lot more control in linked hairpins (and therefore speed) if you can really link the tire angle to your mind, with a wheel.

I'm curious on the wet tracks how many of the top times are done with a wheel. It would be nice to see the control method, gear auto or manual, and primary view used, against each entry in the high score table...

I think I can compete on my DS4 with all but the very best wheel users, the main difference to me is the ability to get the power down out of corners and accuracy of the steering at very high speeds. On the maplewood Evo challenge I could match Kie's line exactly (T500 wheel user and winner of all the Evo challenges I believe) but he would always pull away on corner exit. I think this is down to a combination of throttle sensitivity (lots of pedal travel to adjust amount) and fine tuning steering input.

I would like an icon to appear on the results screen to say whether a wheel has been used or not. I was asked last night by someone about what wheel I use and would recommend so I do think it's the first thing people think of if they can't beat a time (it's certainly the excuse I use!).

benzy

I give up on Viveks' challenge. It started to give me a real headache, lol.

I declare Viveks the drift king, unless v1lla can beat him. :p

gbwumt.jpg

psychotron

I was just driving to work, at 4:30 a.m., and it's dark and snowing. As I was driving, all I kept thinking about was how damn impressive Driveclub's weather is compared to real life. They really nailed it. Made me want to turn around and go play.

Top Bottom