• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

lordxar

I think I can compete on my DS4 with all but the very best wheel users, the main difference to me is the ability to get the power down out of corners and accuracy of the steering at very high speeds. On the maplewood Evo challenge I could match Kie's line exactly (T500 wheel user and winner of all the Evo challenges I believe) but he would always pull away on corner exit. I think this is down to a combination of throttle sensitivity (lots of pedal travel to adjust amount) and fine tuning steering input.

I would like an icon to appear on the results screen to say whether a wheel has been used or not. I was asked last night by someone about what wheel I use and would recommend so I do think it's the first thing people think of if they can't beat a time (it's certainly the excuse I use!).

If you see their ghost its super easy to see controller users. They twitch steer vs smooth turn. Friend of mine pointed that out so now I laugh every time I see bump bump bump bump around a curve.

If you see their ghost its super easy to see controller users. They twitch steer vs smooth turn. Friend of mine pointed that out so now I laugh every time I see bump bump bump bump around a curve.

Yeah I've suspected on numerous occasions that the ghost I'm following is using a wheel as their turns are smoother but it'd be nice to have confirmation.

Anarion07

Yeah I've suspected on numerous occasions that the ghost I'm following is using a wheel as their turns are smoother but it'd be nice to have confirmation.

But then, if you think about yourself Shannow, do you twitch steer?
I steer with L3, and I can manage smooth steering

But then, if you think about yourself Shannow, do you twitch steer?
I steer with L3, and I can manage smooth steering

Yes but it won't be as smooth - think about the amount of rotation you have in a wheel compared to 10-15mm of travel on a stick. I guess the advantage of the stick is the speed of travel (say to opposite lock when it goes into a slide) - far quicker to go from lock to lock on a stick but inherently less accurate than a wheel.

On older games you used to see the front wheels flick to full lock and back again according to the steering inputs (it looked naff) but these days games mask the input to look more realistic.

v1lla21

I give up on Viveks' challenge. It started to give me a real headache, lol.

I declare Viveks the drift king, unless v1lla can beat him. :p

gbwumt.jpg
Nice picture. I'll try to beat him today. I keep messing up the last turn and only manage to get about 1k points. If I can get at least 2k today, I'll beat him for sure. I'll start a drift challenge today where the score isn't too high so everyone gets a good chance.

v1lla21

Whoa! Awesome! Don't know if I'll have time today, but should be a good challenge to beat that. Nice work!

Also, I think we should all send real name requests to each other. Hate to see my crappy PSN avatar.
Yeah I doubt I'll beat him lol. I was banking on being able to beat you by a few points and not hundreds. I'll still give it a go.

Yeah I'd be down for name requests. My picture is pretty cool and I forgot I had the Giants logo still after 2 years haha.

Sorc3r3r

In these wet tracks I'm starting to want a wheel.

The DS4 control is well implemented but inevitably starts to get in the way because there is a lot of interpretation going on. It is fine for grip driving where you just concentrate on small movements of the steering wheel (which you still do even by moving the stick from one extreme to another) but catching the car when it breaks loose unexpectedly is harder and I'm sure you can get a lot more control in linked hairpins (and therefore speed) if you can really link the tire angle to your mind, with a wheel.

I'm curious on the wet tracks how many of the top times are done with a wheel. It would be nice to see the control method, gear auto or manual, and primary view used, against each entry in the high score table...

I was trying to get the 3 stars in the venom hot lap 2 in the elements dlc, with the pad i wasn't able to do it, i tried shamelessly for 3 days,i was getting closer but the damn car turn after turn left precious time on the wet tarmac with the stick and the button unable to keep all that power and all that water under control.
Plugged my wheel and in few tries i got the 3 stars.

So, 2 things, first this game has a great driving,simulation soul hidden under its arcade flesh,
second, damn you Evo, the last events in the elements dlc are devilish.

viveks86

Man with the facebook connection to PSN you forget what a shitty avatar you actually have.
I should change it :D
(can I get the one from here into PSN somehow?)

Facebook is the only way. I have a dedicated Facebook account for games, so I made my avatar the profile picture.

Doombear

I was just driving to work, at 4:30 a.m., and it's dark and snowing. As I was driving, all I kept thinking about was how damn impressive Driveclub's weather is compared to real life. They really nailed it. Made me want to turn around and go play.

I am happy to see that it didn't make you 'start playing' right then as you were driving =)

Just grabbed a copy of the game for £19.85 from ShopTo, was waiting for the digital version to go on sale but can't be bothered waiting any more.

benzy

Nice picture. I'll try to beat him today. I keep messing up the last turn and only manage to get about 1k points. If I can get at least 2k today, I'll beat him for sure. I'll start a drift challenge today where the score isn't too high so everyone gets a good chance.

Guess I spoke too soon anyway. :p Yeah, that last turn always gets me whenever I do well on the S curve before that.

:)

Don't forget. Sir Price is coming too!

Is it sad I google'd Sir Price and still don't know what the hell this reference means?

Beachballs coming to Driveclub? http://www.sirprice.nl/products.html

I've just fired up the game and noticed that different stats are shown on track and car tiles. Like total fame/events finished for tracks and fame earned/distance driven for cars.
I remember seeing spinning circles on track tiles in single events menu, but never noticed anything like that for cars.
Is this new?

lordxar

I've just fired up the game and noticed that different stats are shown on track and car tiles. Like total fame/events finished for tracks and fame earned/distance driven for cars.
I remember seeing spinning circles on track tiles in single events menu, but never noticed anything like that for cars.
Is this new?

So click on driver stats and see if that's working again...needs my precious stats...

It can only mean...
Replays
Activity feed
PS+ Edition
Leagues/seasons

Or maybe a special bit of DLC that might require some more testing because it is a bit... buggy.

Yeah, driver stats are working.

WHAT!??

They haven't worked for me since weather arrived.

Megaton! Gonna check my stats when I get home.

Question - was it still recording our stats all this time even though we couldn't view it? Or has nothing I've done in the past month been applied to my stats? (like distance driven, etc)

lordxar

WHAT!??

They haven't worked for me since weather arrived.

Megaton! Gonna check my stats when I get home.

Question - was it still recording our stats all this time even though we couldn't view it? Or has nothing I've done in the past month been applied to my stats? (like distance driven, etc)

Think they've been ticking by this whole time just not viewable. Seem to recall Rushy saying something like that.

benzy

Oh didn't realize I missed you. Will do.

As for the guessing, I'm not saying anything more. No spoilers. Only hype!

Don't go too crazy though. We don't want another FF 7 situation in here

I'm gonna call aftermarket body kits for the true Tokyo Drift experience.

tumblr_n8bwvtHgld1tqt4jno1_250.gif

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Is the drift challenge open or locked? If the former I should be able to see if on the "Friends Challenges" tab.

SJRB

Gold Member
Guys, I feel like an absolute idiot but how do I purchase this game off of the PSN Store? The "normal" edition is disabled for purchase, all I can do is get the PS Plus edition Upgrade which makes little sense since there is no PS Plus edition.

All I want is drive some cars, man.

Top Bottom