• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I havent been following the updates closely since I am waiting for the leaderboards to work correctly. What was the october content added to the game? I mean which cars and tracks, would like to check them out without needing to search long for it.

viveks86

pretty much ran out of all the accolades that give you fame any chance new cars would mean new manufacture accolades? ran out of those :(

want more

Good question. I would assume with all the new cars, tracks and events coming up, they would add accolades and increase level cap. Don't know yet.

I havent been following the updates closely since I am waiting for the leaderboards to work correctly. What was the october content added to the game?

The free DLC car - Merc AMG GT. Track got pushed because it didn't make sense to release content updates when everyone wants the base game to work. Season pass/paid content starts towards the end of this month.

Good question. I would assume with all the new cars, tracks and events coming up, there would add accolades and increase level cap. Don't know yet.

The free DLC car. Track got pushed because it didn't make sense to release content updates when everyone wants the base game to work. Season pass content starts towards the end of this month.

level cap increase would be so good right now :(

V1nC3nt

Not soon. But soony. No solid date yet, unfortunately. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. When challenges come, DLC will follow. Expect a decent amount of new content before end of the month. 3 tracks + cars + some events. And 1 new big feature that starts with photo and ends with mode. Just guessing ;)
that update, in my dreams, also comes with "support for G25 / G27 wheels"

Y_Y

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The free DLC car - Merc AMG GT. Track got pushed because it didn't make sense to release content updates when everyone wants the base game to work. Season pass/paid content starts towards the end of this month.

Much appreciated, I am not mad or anything, I'll wait another month and then check back for new content and hopefully working leaderboards :p

benzy

dear sir what leaked video?

much obliged

Is it new?
DRIVECLUB™ - Detailed Weather & Photo Mode Demonstration

So, it looks like the new location has a name that sits between India and Norway in alphabetical order.
There goes Antigua?

At 15:11 in the video, new P2P track in Norway named Atlanterhavsvegen.
Damn, it was close! ;)

Also, stealth appearance of cockpit view with moving wiper.
Work in progress, unfinished and somewhat buggy, needless to say.

Much appreciated, I am not mad or anything, I'll wait another month and then check back for new content and hopefully working leaderboards :p

Leaderboards are working. ;)

benzy

You must be lying.

:-o

...checking.

Most of my races today were in single player trying to rank up, and also to beat Mullah's time with the Atom on Kyle. My times updated pretty much right after the race in all three leaderboard menus. :)

Toma

Most of my races today were in single player trying to rank up, and also to beat Mullah's time with the Atom on Kyle. My times updated pretty much right after the race in all three leaderboard menus. :)

Nope, still not fully working:
gRuw4jo.jpg

Some events still dont save the time, time trials worked rather reliably but I wont consider the leaderboards working if there are still occasions where I put time into the game, only to notice that nothing is being saved.

Dont get my hopes up like that =p

benzy

Some events still dont save the time, time trials worked rather reliably but I wont consider the leaderboards working if there are still occasions where I put time into the game, only to notice that nothing is being saved.

Ah, my bad then. I was just doing time trials today and it was working pretty great for that; I should have tested other modes.

Famassu

It saves everything but multirace cups, but sometimes you might have to wait a little. Don't continue forward from the post-race "continue/restart/leaderboards" screen before you see your new time/drift score there. It sometimes takes 20-40+ seconds for the new time to be updated, but if I have waited, it has never failed to update the new time.

Toma

It saves everything but multirace cups, but sometimes you might have to wait a little. Don't continue forward from the post-race "continue/restart/leaderboards" screen before you see your new time/drift score there. It sometimes takes 20-40+ seconds for the new time to be updated, but if I have waited, it has never failed to update the new time.

While I posted this, I had that window open all the time and nothing happened. Yeah, its the multirace cups that dont work for me.

Maybe, though, you've unlocked everything so wouldn't serve much purpose :p

well I would hope there is some content to unlock with the levels

still only have 38 stars in Tour mode just not liking tour as much as single event

but just hit 20 million fame just want to keep going before GTAV what I fear is if we do get level cap raise and content to unlock that as soon as I download the dlc and start the game it will take 10 seconds for the levels to update the progress to my maxed fame lol

sheesh pls release Japan

I just can't get into the driving in this game.

The cars simply under steer everywhere. As someone who races and goes on plenty of track days ontop of that, it just doesn't feel right.

Famassu

While I posted this, I had that window open all the time and nothing happened. Yeah, its the multirace cups that dont work for me.
I don't think those work for anyone, I don't know what dark magic mumbo jumbo the people who have gotten their times updated have used, but I've given up trying for the time being.. But yeah, every other type of time/score should update just fine, with the caveat that sometimes you have to wait for a bit for it to update your time unless you want the times to disappear.

leng jai

The cars simply under steer everywhere. As someone who races and goes on plenty of track days ontop of that, it just doesn't feel right.

Sorry to hear that, haven't heard many people complaining about the handling in DC. It's literally perfect for my tastes though.

Tried about 20 times to get the final star on a time trial and ended up finally getting it. Then afterwards it said my time was ranked 18th in the world. Felt so good.

I don't care if it's a mistake or fluke. I've be never been that high on a leaderboard.

Flawless in my view. Lagging people become ghosts so you don't get random collisions when no one is near you or anything like that.

It's good but I don't think it's flawless. I've seen someone became a ghost the whole match and won the race. Basically that person was pretty much untouchable.

Maybe that's what it is, I definitely find it more frustrating than I had hoped. I like this game but I don't love it, and I was so incredibly excited for it.

It will do for now, but I really hope Project Cars turns out well since GT is still at least a year away.

Synth

Maybe that's what it is, I definitely find it more frustrating than I had hoped. I like this game but I don't love it, and I was so incredibly excited for it.

It will do for now, but I really hope Project Cars turns out well since GT is still at least a year away.

My problem with the handling is that unlike something like PGR the drifts feel like a binary switch that gets flipped at some point. It doesn't feel like a weight transition, it feels more like a Daytona or Ridge Racer scenario where at some point you're simply placed in "drift mode". This is also what makes collisions so much more infuriating in this game compared to most others. If someone hits you at the right angle (lower end of the car) the game basically considers you in "drift mode" making most attempts to counter-steer your way back to control basically futile.

It's good but I don't think it's flawless. I've seen someone became a ghost the whole match and won the race. Basically that person was pretty much untouchable.
Yeah but who is to say the 'netcode' is to blame.

If they have a shit connection, they have a shit connection and better to ghost them and teleport them around the map then have them crashing into you when they're not there etc.

Though yes, the negatives are they can't be spun out or drafted etc but they can still cock themselves up.

Synth

Yeah but who is to say the 'netcode' is to blame.

If they have a shit connection, they have a shit connection and better to ghost them and teleport them around the map then have them crashing into you when they're not there etc.

Though yes, the negatives are they can't be spun out or drafted etc but they can still cock themselves up.

Depends on a lot really. If the ghost wasn't teleporting everywhere, then you can assume the player was at least providing reasonable updates of their positioning. It's also possible that this player wasn't a ghost to everyone else, and was only a ghost for that one poster, due to him simply not receiving an "unghost" packet, which the game never then corrected. Could be all sorts of things really.

Is it new?
DRIVECLUB™ - Detailed Weather & Photo Mode Demonstration

So, it looks like the new location has a name that sits between India and Norway in alphabetical order.
There goes Antigua?

At 15:11 in the video, new P2P track in Norway named Atlanterhavsvegen.
Damn, it was close! ;)

Also, stealth appearance of cockpit view with moving wiper.
Work in progress, unfinished and somewhat buggy, needless to say.

That was the pre-launch event I attended thanks to an invite from Rushy.

Vaga

Having put plenty of hours in this game, especially long time trialing sessions with different cars on the same track, seeing how each car has its own distinctive handling characteristics and how it obviously leads to different behaviour on the track whether it's an understeering hot hatch or an oversteering RUF, or how every little bump or dip in the road can send you flying without the right amount of steering correction I can honestly say this game's driving model fucking clicks for me. It ain't GT's sim model (which I loved) and thankfully it's not NFS or Horizon arcade style either. Just placed in between.

Also there is no magic switch that puts you in 'drift mode', the comparison with Ridge Racer is ridiculous.

Synth

Having put plenty of hours in this game, especially long time trialing sessions with different cars on the same track, seeing how each car has its own distinctive handling characteristics and how it obviously leads to different behaviour on the track whether it's an understeering hot hatch or an oversteering RUF, or how every little bump or dip in the road can send you flying without the right amount of steering correction I can honestly say this game's driving model fucking clicks for me. It ain't GT's sim model (which I loved) and thankfully it's not NFS or Horizon arcade style either. Just placed in between.

Also there is no magic switch that puts you in 'drift mode', the comparison with Ridge Racer is ridiculous.

I'm not saying it handles like Ridge Racer (which itself handles nothing like Daytona). I'm saying the transitioning between what feels like the car understeering and drifting happens very suddenly, and not at all gradual like you would feel in something like PGR (which is also closer to how initiating a drift in Horizon feels too tbh). You can easily see this in pretty much any video in a behind-the-car view where a drift is initiated, whether by handbrake or simply hard steering. It's even quite obvious any time you see a car spin out after being nudged by another car from behind.

The main difference with the drift models in pure arcade games, is that the drift is easier to counter after being initiated, so you're not likely to have it ending with you facing the other direction.

Vaga

Don't know what are you rambling about, you can start a drift simply by decelerating and a quick left/right or right/left steer. That's weight distribution. And it's perfectly controllable (with enough experience).

Synth

Don't know what are you rambling about, you can start a drift simply by decelerating and a quick left/right or right/left steer. That's weight distribution. And it's perfectly controllable (with enough experience).

I can control it... just like I can control a drift in Daytona USA. That's not my point at all. I'm saying the game feels like it transitions between two very distinct handling models, drift and non-drift, rather than both being varying severities of the same model. This is something that's very common in many arcade racers, but doesn't really describe some of the hybrid racers (like PGR and Horizon). You disagreeing with me doesn't make what I'm saying "rambling" or "ridiculous".

Gestault

Unless the new DLC stuff has higher level cap. Would be a good incentive to progress if that's the case.

I always find it odd when later game add-on content is tailored for early-on play. It would make sense to extend the sense of progression outward instead of just adding parallel layers of content to the early stuff. Not too many games have done this recently, thankfully.

viveks86

I always find it odd when later game add-on content is tailored for early-on play. It would make sense to extend the sense of progression outward instead of just adding parallel layers of content to the early stuff. Not too many games have done this recently, thankfully.

Yup. Odd indeed. How is it in forza? Do the dlcs have any progression or are they instant unlocks?

Gestault

Yup. Odd indeed. How is it in forza? Do the dlcs have any progression or are they instant unlocks?

The DLC cars/tracks so far have been implemented into the main career mode where it makes sense. Like when they finally added the full Nürburgring to 5, it ended up as what amounted to a "boss race" at the end of some later championships, which was cool. H2 so far has just had the car packs, some of which get new bucket-list or championship events, others that get new ones. I wouldn't say it was all put into end-game stuff though, sort of half-and-half? Cars are more or less immediate. Originally some were crazy-expensive, so you'd need to really work for them, but they changed the DLC policy for 5 and beyond so you get one "complimentary" of each new car added to your garage. I sort of preferred the older way.

Me neither. One of the reasons is that I can't use the left stick for throttle/brake right stick for steering (yeah, I'm one of those rare persons who prefers the right stick for steering...)

Also the cars understeer like hell. When you are full on the throttle and want to lift a bit for a corner you are going straight into the fences.

But yeah, this game reminded me of GT's superior handling and the fact that racing games should be 60fps.

Top Bottom