• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

quetz67

Banned
Wtf the last 2 days this game has become unplayable... Full of ppl trying to crash into you even when they try to surpass... And I'm Not even counting when i have to surpass someone.. They knock me out immediately.. Where s the fairplay?? Evo should do something when the online is fixed..

The AI does it so it is expected the online players do it to. It is the most fundemantal problem of the game IMO and I even never play online.

Caffer

Neo Member
The AI does it so it is expected the online players do it to. It is the most fundemantal problem of the game IMO and I even never play online.

i have 225/225 stars, i can tell you the AI is nothing compared to some idiots playing online lol

I agree it's absolutely frustrating to get spun out but there's something enjoyable in the absolute chaos at the start of races for me, and even passing cars during a race really since you never know how it will pan out. Once I reconciled with driving (and liking) that car, I thought the SL 65 AMG only races were pretty amazing since no one knew how to control it they got so unpredicable all the time.

Caffer

Neo Member
I agree it's absolutely frustrating to get spun out but there's something enjoyable in the absolute chaos at the start of races for me, and even passing cars during a race really since you never know how it will pan out. Once I reconciled with driving (and liking) that car, I thought the SL 65 AMG only races were pretty amazing since no one knew how to control it they got so unpredicable all the time.
I agree, it's fun at the start of the race and i find myself often laughing at the chaos, but only because in that chaos ppl knock out other players unintentionally, it's another story when someone crash into you without breaking at the last turn off a race...

Shaneus

Just unlocked BAC Mono last night when I reached the club level 10, and it controls like a dream. Managed to beat two Atoms on a single race event, when I did exactly what you described.
Man, that's basically the essence of the whole game for me now. Especially in time trials (but in pretty much the entire single-player) the game comes alive when you think you're pushing a car/corner to the limit before eeking that little bit more out of both, getting that buzz of satisfaction out of it. I honestly can't explain why, but it's the only time I've felt that outside of the hardcore, "real" racing sims on PC.

I think maybe it's because even though it isn't realistic, you still get punished quite severely (relatively speaking) by losing those important, elusive 1/100s of a second. Then you do another lap and nail the fuck out of that corner ;)

Shaneus

At first I was
BRbuMtvl.jpg

But then I was
qUYQVQFl.jpg

Man, that was satisfying as hell. Sad thing is, there were bits I know I could improve on! #860 in the world :)

Bakoery

So I don't have the game and I pretty much watch a lot of footage, but why is it that a lot of the time there is no background music while you play? Or it is changeable in the options?

GodofWine

So I don't have the game and I pretty much watch a lot of footage, but why is it that a lot of the time there is no background music while you play? Or it is changeable in the options?

It's an option and I also turn it off or way down. The music is good, I just like driving without it

The music in events is off by default, you still get music in the menus and it's fine but i haven't bothered turning it on for the events as i much prefer hearing the game sounds when i'm racing.

leng jai

Even at max volume the music is mixed in very low. I don't even think it's possible it would have any chance of drowning out the engine sound unless you put the latter down manually.

Bakoery

The music in events is off by default, you still get music in the menus and it's fine but i haven't bothered turning it on for the events as i much prefer hearing the game sounds when i'm racing.

It's an option and I also turn it off or way down. The music is good, I just like driving without it

It is turned off by default. You can turn it on and adjust volume.

Alright thanks, because I like there playlist and I would like to listen to it while playing.

QaaQer

This game doesn't give a fuck about the player in terms trying to make the player feel good about themselves or trying to appeal to everyone. The rules and the AI are what they are, and you either practise and master the stuff or ragequit. It's been a while since I've played single player content like that.

The upside is that when you do win or get that 3rd star, it's a great feeling, one which is pretty rare in single player games.

Man, that's basically the essence of the whole game for me now. Especially in time trials (but in pretty much the entire single-player) the game comes alive when you think you're pushing a car/corner to the limit before eeking that little bit more out of both, getting that buzz of satisfaction out of it. I honestly can't explain why, but it's the only time I've felt that outside of the hardcore, "real" racing sims on PC.

I think maybe it's because even though it isn't realistic, you still get punished quite severely (relatively speaking) by losing those important, elusive 1/100s of a second. Then you do another lap and nail the fuck out of that corner ;)

Yeah, buzz, that's the exact right word. Chasing my ghost car is addictive. It is so hard though, to slow down and actually learn the tracks, the braking zones, the edge of grip, and all that stuff. It takes some real self control on my part.

I finished getting all stars for the drift events tonight. I didn't like drifting at first but after awhile it became my addiction. Not happy with getting the stars, I also had to have the top scores on my friend's list. So I did that too.

Now I'm kinda bummed there aren't any drift events left. I guess i could do the single event ones...

Had to restore my PS4 after the rest bug, but it seems that due to the amount of space my NBA2K14 save files were taking (over 500MB) Driveclub hadn't uploaded my save, nor had Diablo3 . So it seems I need to start all over again for my stars, although I still have my Driver Level and XP.

QaaQer

Had to restore my PS4 after the rest bug, but it seems that due to the amount of space my NBA2K14 save files were taking (over 500MB) Driveclub hadn't uploaded my save, nor had Diablo3 . So it seems I need to start all over again for my stars, although I still have my Driver Level and XP.

Happened to me too, 1.06 fixed it so it was kinda derpy on my part not to wait.

I don't know if someone at evo read my DC MULTIPLAYER DESIGN ISNT GOOD ENOUGH thread, but I'm happy to see that two lap races on short tracks aren't a thing anymore.

The four/five lap races up now are much better than the two\three and even one lap races from before.

Mullah88

Speaking of chasing ghost cars lol I started at 11pm est, the next time I'm checking my clock it said 4am! Now I have bags under my eyes because I'm up for work (7am).

The kyle, Arial atom global position 6....still not giving up, I know I can get in the top 3. My favorite p2p track (cayoosh point is a close second) and favorite car ariel atom

Vaga

Speaking of chasing ghost cars lol I started at 11pm est, the next time I'm checking my clock it said 4am! Now I have bags under my eyes because I'm up for work (7am).

The kyle, Arial atom global position 6....still not giving up, I know I can get in the top 3. My favorite p2p track (cayoosh point is a close second) and favorite car ariel atom

The Kyle is my fav track too, reminds me so much of OutRun. A while ago I started on a journey to set world records with each car on this track. That's my time up there with the Atom. Funky car hehe!

If I ever finish my quest, next track will be Cayoosh for sure.

Mullah88

The Kyle is my fav track too, reminds me so much of OutRun. A while ago I started on a journey to set world records with each car on this track. That's my time up there with the Atom. Funky car hehe!

holy shit! You're number 1 hehe....gotta step it up then

That's a really good idea, I'll start doing the same thing on the kyle. I'll go for the top 5 (or 3)

I don't know if someone at evo read my DC MULTIPLAYER DESIGN ISNT GOOD ENOUGH thread, but I'm happy to see that two lap races on short tracks aren't a thing anymore.

The four/five lap races up now are much better than the twothree and even one lap races from before.
Pretty sure it varies upon track length.

Tommi84

Still, the most ridiculous thing were1 lap (as in ONE, SINGLE lap on rather short ) course races. Come one! If i screw up, i have ZERO chances of getting to some higher position.

Gestault

This game doesn't give a fuck about the player in terms trying to make the player feel good about themselves or trying to appeal to everyone. The rules and the AI are what they are, and you either practise and master the stuff or ragequit. It's been a while since I've played single player content like that.

Wouldn't the obvious and easily reproducible behavior where the entire field of AI drivers slow down when you slow down contradict this? And in response to a situation reacting to the AI compromising the player in ways that the player has no way to control or respond to, that's just unreasonable. It ceases to be about skill, taking both of those into account.

DrKelpo

Banned

jesus,on which leaderboard is vagabone not in the top 3... at least i beat some record from you in resogun.^^

Hugstable

Banned
So I haven't played this in a couple weeks, waiting until everything is fixed up.

How are we looking, serverwise? Are challenges up yet?

Nope, and while Face/Offs now work, more than half of those are bugged to show ridiculous scores :-/. Online is working much better now from what I've heard though, I've been trying to finish off the tour recently. My goodness do I hate doing these Hot Laps compared to the other races, the times they make you aim for are insane sometimes. Finally got to try out the BAC Mono today also, and I'm in love with it haha. Somehow I'm pretty decent at the drift events, got 3 stars in all those events up to this point (At the Pro Trophy races)

Melchiah

I couldn't agree more. It's extremely exciting, in a fun but nerve-wrecking kind of way, to try to balance between speed and control. Driving like a daredevil could lead to disastrous results, but playing it too safe might not be enough for the top ranking. I've done some time trials a dozen times to shave just few seconds from the lap time. Towards the end of the track, when there's only 1/100 of seconds between the 1st and 2nd place, you just repeat to yourself, "don't you fuck up now, goddammit!".

I usually mute music in racing games as well, but DC is an exception with WipEout and SSX. The music just fits the mood of the game very well.

The upside is that when you do win or get that 3rd star, it's a great feeling, one which is pretty rare in single player games.

While I definitely appreciate the unforgiving old school nature of the game, it might lead to people dismissing the game, just like it was with WipEout HD. Hopefully it does manage to sell well enough despite of the steep learning curve, and the network problems, as there are far too few racers like this nowadays.

BTW, do other cars than McLaren P1 have DRS and KERS?

Hugstable

Banned
I'm confused... For the Ferrari Open Invitational second race, it seems literally impossible to achieve that 165 MPH in the Second race with the 2 cars 430 Scuderia and the 458 Italia. I've tried both cars multiple times on this track and I can't get above 153 on the straight, even with perfect driving. Are they seriously going to get to the point where I need to grind out and get to level 39 just to get the one car that might be able to do this? Did anyone do it with the other 2 cars? It just seems overall impossible to me. I really hope alot of these later races in the game aren't like this... everything has been pretty achieveable with what they gave me so far, but after over an hour and half of trying with both cars and noticing I'm making 0 errors, I'm still 10 mph from that goal.

GodofWine

I'm confused... For the Ferrari Open Invitational second race, it seems literally impossible to achieve that 165 MPH in the Second race with the 2 cars 430 Scuderia and the 458 Italia. I've tried both cars multiple times on this track and I can't get above 153 on the straight, even with perfect driving. Are they seriously going to get to the point where I need to grind out and get to level 39 just to get the one car that might be able to do this? Did anyone do it with the other 2 cars? It just seems overall impossible to me. I really hope alot of these later races in the game aren't like this... everything has been pretty achieveable with what they gave me so far, but after over an hour and half of trying with both cars and noticing I'm making 0 errors, I'm still 10 mph from that goal.
Isn't there one more Ferrari that's locked? Keep going, unlock it, come back. That was one of the few events I stuffed at two stars on.

Synth

I have I think 4 events left in the game, and am level 25. I've not had virtually any choice in car along the way (not in a club, and too low player level for most alternatives), yet I've got 3 stars in every event up until now. So no, it can be done with whatever car you've been given.

I've actually run into the rather stupid problem of not being able to take part in the Lightweight challenge, due to not qualifying for use of either of the two eligible cars however (Atom or Mono)...

AndyD

aka andydumi
So did they change the handling in the most recent update or something? Has anyone confirmed it?

It seems the braking has changed on some cars but not all. Not significantly though. Maybe instead it's the weight of cars that is more pronounced now as the Bentley is a bit more difficult to handle than before around turns.

i_max

Neo Member
So did they change the handling in the most recent update or something? Has anyone confirmed it?

They have, are you talking about car handling? Cause I felt the cars feeling different to drive and handle after the last update, less twitchy.

Famassu

It seems the braking has changed on some cars but not all. Not significantly though. Maybe instead it's the weight of cars that is more pronounced now as the Bentley is a bit more difficult to handle than before around turns.

They have, are you talking about car handling? Cause I felt the cars feeling different to drive and handle after the last update, less twitchy.

Yeah, I dunno, I thought I was getting pretty good, but now I often screw up the easiest of corners... -_-

Kodros

BTW how many people are using wheels and which ones are you guys using?

I have a T300RS.

I'm getting a T300 delivered today but I don't know if I'm going to keep it. I'm having a really hard time justifying a $400 wheel with shitty pedals for one game. I think the wheel improves the gameplay a lot but I'm not going to be playing Driveclub every day for the next year, I like to play other games too. I also feel burned since my DFGT wheel isn't supported.

dano1

A Sheep

I got to 156.3 with the 458. I love that car. It was the first long straight and had to brake way late. Most people probably do it with the locked cars.

Tommi84

it seems literally impossible to achieve that 165 MPH in the Second race with the 2 cars 430 Scuderia and the 458 Italia.

Actually, no. It's possible to do it with 430 Scuderia. My second attempt
iNUN1O3TzRuR9.jpg

I did one km/h more than required. It should be 266km/h for this race.
Obviously, it's much easier to do it with the locked car. I think i left this event until I got the faster Ferrari ;)

hawk2025

I finished getting all stars for the drift events tonight. I didn't like drifting at first but after awhile it became my addiction. Not happy with getting the stars, I also had to have the top scores on my friend's list. So I did that too.

Now I'm kinda bummed there aren't any drift events left. I guess i could do the single event ones...

I assume you beat all of my drift scores :p (KamikazeBingo is my username)

i_max

Neo Member
I'm getting a T300 delivered today but I don't know if I'm going to keep it. I'm having a really hard time justifying a $400 wheel with shitty pedals for one game. I think the wheel improves the gameplay a lot but I'm not going to be playing Driveclub every day for the next year, I like to play other games too. I also feel burned since my DFGT wheel isn't supported.

The pedals are sub par for a $400 wheel. I wish they had a T3PA with this, but the wheel nonetheless is very satisfying. I had a G27 before this, and those pedals were way better then this. But anyway, playing with a wheel makes the game much better.

Sadly the biggest reason to keep this wheel is none of the old ones work.

I'm just past Semi-Pro and I'm really enjoying it. Can't wait to see if the Venom Hot Lap is as hard as you guys make it out to be.

I nailed it in about my 8th attempt. It's not that hard. You just have to know how to drive the car, as no other car in the game really behaves like it. It's my favorite car to use, though. Admittedly I haven't unlocked the McLaren P1, so we'll see if that changes anything.

Top Bottom