• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 08 Gears of War 2 thread of amazing trailers

mr stroke

Jel0man said:
wjzzav.jpg

"Bonus DVD including exclusive making-of-the-game video footage, design galleries with audio commentary by Epic Games, and promotional videos including the E3 2008 trailer, "Rendezvous"

come on guys why is everyone charging for Behind the scenes now? regular DVD's have them why can't SE's have them?

VaLiancY

mr stroke said:
"Bonus DVD including exclusive making-of-the-game video footage, design galleries with audio commentary by Epic Games, and promotional videos including the E3 2008 trailer, "Rendezvous"

come on guys why is everyone charging for Behind the scenes now? regular DVD's have them why can't SE's have them?

Didn't God of War 1 have behind the scenes? I've stopped picking up limited editions, I can catch the videos on Youtube or some other web player.

I will bite again. Damn you Epic.

mr stroke said:
Regular DVDs usually don't have behind the scenes anymore. You want that shit you have to purchase a two-disc version.

My idea of a limited edition is
-Game in a nice metal dvd tin (so it fits on my dvd rack)
-Sweet action figure/statuette that is not available anywhere else
-Standard promotional materials (behind the scenes, adverts etc)

When I'm spending the extra £20 I want to feel like I'm getting something that I wouldn't get anywhere else. The behind the scenes stuff will be on youtube in a matter of days, just as the GoW2 stuff off the UE3 disc was. And it often ends up being the same behind-the-scenes that were released as MS/Epic marketing materials.

As it stands, as cool as the LE edition looks, I'll opt for the standard release.

JimiNutz

Banned
Goddamn that Mulcher is awesome-and what a name for a weapon! :D
Any gifs of that chain gun tearing through the swarm of Locusts would be awesome

Not sure if it's been posted yet but here's Cliff on the recent 1UP show.
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/20027

It's mostly stuff we've already seen but a couple of little pieces of info were revealed

- In Single Player, picking up a meat shield of a locust who is the last in a "wave" of enemies will automatically have his neck broken. This is to prevent you walking around with a meat shield constantly, since there is no need when there is no combat. It is unclear if the animation shown is the final one (looks a little unpolished, might be placeholder).

- Meat shields can also take grenade hits and torque bows, but it must hit the meat shield's body. This means an explosion to the side of you can still damage you fairly significantly, but you will be far more protected from the front. Bodies "gib" (explode into nothing but blood) when they take an explosion.

- Shield weapon specific execution is grabbing the shield, lifting it over your head and slamming it down onto their head.

- Gorgon Pistol Active Reload effect increases power of shots.

- In the Brumack sequence, one player will control the movement of the Brumack, the other will man the gun. It's unclear if you are forced to use one of these when not in co-op.

Also love the way Marcus screams when he gets burned by the Scorcher

JimiNutz

Banned
New ign interview with story writer Josh Ortega.
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/891/891677p1.html

I'm so glad they're spending time on the story this time round. Epic created a great universe with Gears of War but failed to really explore it in the previous game. To get the most out of it one had to end up reading the art book which contained most of the backstory. Luckily Epic seem to have recognised this criticism and are addressing it for the sequel.

Kydd BlaZe

NutJobJim said:
Any gifs of that chain gun tearing through the swarm of Locusts would be awesome

It's mostly stuff we've already seen but a couple of little pieces of info were revealed

- In Single Player, picking up a meat shield of a locust who is the last in a "wave" of enemies will automatically have his neck broken. This is to prevent you walking around with a meat shield constantly, since there is no need when there is no combat. It is unclear if the animation shown is the final one (looks a little unpolished, might be placeholder).

- Meat shields can also take grenade hits and torque bows, but it must hit the meat shield's body. This means an explosion to the side of you can still damage you fairly significantly, but you will be far more protected from the front. Bodies "gib" (explode into nothing but blood) when they take an explosion.

- Shield weapon specific execution is grabbing the shield, lifting it over your head and slamming it down onto their head.

- In the Brumack sequence, one player will control the movement of the Brumack, the other will man the gun. It's unclear if you are forced to use one of these when not in co-op.

Awesome new details! Lol, controlling the Brumak should be lots of fun. Can't wait to see what else Epic has in store for us.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Kibbles said:
I'll take requests for gifs, just not a whole lot because my computer sucks. :p

Here's my request: Have Master Chief piloting a Brumak. Marcus is on the turret. Have the Brumak walk through a valley. As they walk through the valley, all of Microsoft's other characters come out of the woodwork to see what's going on. They walk cautiously up to the Brumak, both in awe and in fear. They then realize what's going on. It's the messiah. All of Microsoft's characters begin to chant - Banjo, Ryu, all the damn pinatas, Sam Fisher, Kameo, Dead or Alive chicks, etc. The Master Chief driven Brumak continues its journey. Then, we see a giant Cliffy head poke up over the valley. He then proceeds to jizz on everyone. It's raining jizz. Soaked in jizz, Master Chief takes off his helmet... and is revealed to be...

Super Mario.

The gif ends with Mario saying "fuck this casual shit, I want it hardcore."

Kydd BlaZe

RSTEIN said:
Here's my request: Have Master Chief piloting a Brumak. Marcus is on the turret. Have the Brumak walk through a valley. As they walk through the valley, all of Microsoft's other characters come out of the woodwork to see what's going on. They walk cautiously up to the Brumak, both in awe and in fear. They then realize what's going on. It's the messiah. All of Microsoft's characters begin to chant - Banjo, Ryu, all the damn pinatas, Sam Fisher, Kameo, Dead or Alive chicks, etc. The Master Chief driven Brumak continues its journey. Then, we see a giant Cliffy head poke up over the valley. He then proceeds to jizz on everyone. It's raining jizz. Soaked in jizz, Master Chief takes off his helmet... and is revealed to be...

Super Mario.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
mr stroke said:

Because a statistically significant percentage of the market has indicated a willingness to pay for it?

Getting pissed at companies charging for things they never did before is pointless without also blaming the suckers who make it a profitable decision.

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:

Super Mario.

:lol :lol :lol amazing!

Brannon

RSTEIN said:
Here's my request: Have Master Chief piloting a Brumak. Marcus is on the turret. Have the Brumak walk through a valley. As they walk through the valley, all of Microsoft's other characters come out of the woodwork to see what's going on. They walk cautiously up to the Brumak, both in awe and in fear. They then realize what's going on. It's the messiah. All of Microsoft's characters begin to chant - Banjo, Ryu, all the damn pinatas, Sam Fisher, Kameo, Dead or Alive chicks, etc. The Master Chief driven Brumak continues its journey. And then, Freyja, you farted, then, we see a giant Cliffy head poke up over the valley. He then proceeds to jizz on everyone. It's raining jizz. Soaked in jizz, Master Chief takes off his helmet... and is revealed to be...

Super Mario.

Whoa.

Baker

Banned
Collector's Edition content!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69460

* Collectible SteelBook™ DVD case

* "Beneath the Surface: An Inside Look at Gears of War 2," a 48-page hardbound book including character profiles, exclusive concept art, and foreword by Design Director Cliff Bleszinski

* Bonus DVD including exclusive making-of-the-game video footage, design galleries with audio commentary by Epic Games, and promotional videos including the E3 2008 trailer,

* "Rendezvous." An exclusive gold-plated Lancer Assault Rifle available during online play

Edit: Sorry, didn't see this posted on the previous page.

JB1981

RSTEIN said:

Super Mario.

That was brilliant, sir. Bravo!

HugBasket

Banned
Baker said:
Collector's Edition content!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69460

* Collectible SteelBook™ DVD case

* "Beneath the Surface: An Inside Look at Gears of War 2," a 48-page hardbound book including character profiles, exclusive concept art, and foreword by Design Director Cliff Bleszinski

* Bonus DVD including exclusive making-of-the-game video footage, design galleries with audio commentary by Epic Games, and promotional videos including the E3 2008 trailer,

* "Rendezvous." An exclusive gold-plated Lancer Assault Rifle available during online play

Edit: Sorry, didn't see this posted on the previous page.
No thanks. Not being seen behind cover or camoing was a big part of my play style in the original gears, I don't want to carry a reflector gun.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Prvt.Pegleg said:
No thanks. Not being seen behind cover or camoing was a big part of my play style in the original gears, I don't want to carry a reflector gun.

DAmn, sign me up...I want to chainsaw people with a gold lancer...why'd they do it? I never by CE

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
NutJobJim said:

Thanks, I watched it and, oh man - I know Cliff already said in the Shoe video interview that meat shields could take a Boomshot and implode, leaving you practically okay from the front, but I don't know why I didn't feel like it was a confirmed deal - and now to read it again with the other weapons like the Torque Bow, grenades - that really, really adds to the gameplay big time, being able to survive and even take down power weapon users that are out in the open...

Everything I've read and seen about the game sounds so balanced and rewards you for playing tactical - I love it...

Oh and P.S. Cliff...

Please make sure that the Theron Guards and RAAM don't take huge damage in the legs/feet and even capes anymore, since it's possible to get downed from an Active Sniper round by hitting any of those guys even in the toe - the Theron Guards can even be active-downed by shooting the cape - I cycle through every character, and still play with these guys every now and then in Gears, but that would balance them nicely, even though downing with the Longshot is gone now...

RBH

RSTEIN said:

Super Mario.

God bless you.

Nolan.

I really had no interest in Gears2 even having played the first but i'm really interested after seeing it running. I might still wait and see what happens so I don't fool myself twice. Though it's looking pretty good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just downloaded and watched the HD video on the marketplace. Damn that looks incredible. I am really surprised at how much better it looks (generally) than Gears of War 1 and how much more cool stuff they added. There are a few things that bothered me, though.

Did anyone else notice the sort of... well... bad framerate? It got pretty choppy in a few instances there and just seemed to be lower than the first game overall. Another thing that bothered me was Marcus Fenix's face near the end of the video. It may have just been the lighting, but it looked a lot less detailed and worse than it did in the first game. Otherwise, everything looked incredible. I really like the new enemies in particular.

JimiNutz

Banned
Zefah said:
I just downloaded and watched the HD video on the marketplace. Damn that looks incredible. I am really surprised at how much better it looks (generally) than Gears of War 1 and how much more cool stuff they added. There are a few things that bothered me, though.

Did anyone else notice the sort of... well... bad framerate? It got pretty choppy in a few instances there and just seemed to be lower than the first game overall. Another thing that bothered me was Marcus Fenix's face near the end of the video. It may have just been the lighting, but it looked a lot less detailed and worse than it did in the first game. Otherwise, everything looked incredible. I really like the new enemies in particular.

Yeah the framerate isn't rock steady yet but it doesn't worry me at all. I remember the E3 just before Gears1 hit and Cliff gave the game a live playthrough similar to this one for Gears2. I turned to my housemates (we were watching a live stream) and said 'it still looks awesome but I really hope they can nail the framerate' and sure enough they did. Personally I'm pretty confident they'll nail a steady 30fps for launch.

As for the faces, I thought they looked better, Dom's in particular. One thing I have noticed is that Marcus' face looks a lot cleaner now. I know that sounds weird, and it may be due to the lighting, but Marcus' face used to look really rough and marked where as it now looks a lot smoother and cleaner. Is that what you mean?

Kibbles

RSTEIN said:

Super Mario.

Awesome idea, but I didn't mean it that way :lol I just meant from in the video. I can't make crap.

GhaleonEB

I've been out for a few days, so I'm just now catching up. The campaign footage in Gears (from the montage and the 1up Show demo with Cliffy) is really impressive. It looks like the gameplay is sped up just a touch from the first game, and every mechanic has been expanded or polished. Great stuff.

allreal

RSTEIN said:

Super Mario.

quoted again for its genius...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm surprised this thread isn't even bigger. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that this is game of the show.

Banned
sykoex said:
I'm surprised this thread isn't even bigger. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that this is game of the show.

They are too busy talking about Fat Princess. :lol

JimiNutz

Banned
sykoex said:

Seems like Fat Princess, KZ2 MP, and FF XIII caused the biggest stir on GAF

GAF filled with PS3 fanboys confirmed?

I jest :lol

sykoex said:

We Gears guys don't stand in any one place for very long. I imagine the official thread will be quite large, but until then we say our peace on new content and move on. No raeson to keep discussing subjects over and over and over again. The game will be awesome...you can only say it a few times before it gets old :).

And yes...there is nothing to hate on.

Aladuf

Banned
Black_Ice said:
That's because Gearheads are still playing Gears of War on XBL.
That's definitely true, I played a fucking ton of Gears last night. I was on a roll and just didn't wanna stop.

Aladuf

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
I have about 20k kills officially ranked on my leaderboard, not including all the player match and stolens :)
Damn, I myself have probably around 12,000-13,000 kills in ranked because I pretty much stopped playing it after I got "Seriously..." since then I've just played player matches for the most part. It's too bad they don't show how many kills you have in player matches because I'd really like to know that number. :lol

Top Bottom