• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

MatParker1711

Neo Member
For anyone wondering why Elyse hasn't appeared on any EA stuff and yet has made appearances on KF and REACT it's a combination of things.

1. Bruce Greene, Funhaus's GM has vetoed collaborations in the past as there isn't really much benefit from Funhaus's perspective. As he's Elyse's boss it's his call.

2. Rooster Teeth acts as KF's MCN so it's easier for Elyse to appear on their content.

3. REACT is signed to Fullscreen, RT's parent company so see above.

For anyone wondering why Elyse hasn't appeared on any EA stuff and yet has made appearances on KF and REACT it's a combination of things.

1. Bruce Greene, Funhaus's GM has vetoed collaborations in the past as there isn't really much benefit from Funhaus's perspective. As he's Elyse's boss it's his call.

2. Rooster Teeth acts as KF's MCN so it's easier for Elyse to appear on their content.

3. REACT is signed to Fullscreen, RT's parent company so see above.
She was on Easy Update once.

OMG I just saw punished bets with blood started today so I popped it on to see the costume.

Holy cow is it epic. Well done Blood on the costume. 10/10

He always commits to the bit 100%

Man the divinity talk makes me curious as heck I liked the first one but didn't finish it but the vibe for the second for quite some time has been from what I've seen/heard that they refined the stuff from the first game a lot(not sure if that's true).
Well gotta get through sen 3, then ys 8/eo5 first. That's my current gaming roadmap.

Same here. I liked the first one, and it's charm, but found it a bit boring. The praise for the sequel has me very curious, but hesitant.

Reviews for SteamWorld Dig 2 (Blood) and Star Fox 2 (Damiani) are out.

I think Damiani reviewing the game in today's standards are fine, but the way he portrays a "well it was used in other games better" vibe kinda reduces the impact that Star Fox 2 was likely the spawning point of those ideas. Also, given how FX graphics needed to be, I don't think there was a way to even do much with the interior sections. Star Fox 2 is definitely going to show age, and it was a daring experiment for sure, given the change in style between 1 and 2. I'm honestly surprised it wasn't a lower score since there was little positivity at all in his review.

Had this game come out back then, it would have likely gotten more praise. He does have a point about less interesting bosses and level design compared to the OG Star Fox, though. If there's anything to be said about Star Fox 2 is that it is a very interesting game for Nintendo to bring back.

Anyone think we'll see a Golf Story or Stardew Valley stream/review?

Same here. I liked the first one, and it's charm, but found it a bit boring. The praise for the sequel has me very curious, but hesitant.

I see this opinion often in relation to Divinity 1 so I'll touch upon it:

I'm sort of in the same boat? I mostly enjoyed the combat in Divinity 1 but found the story quite boring, the writing extremely poor, and quite a large number of design elements too confusing or obsufucated to be useful or even interesting (such as crafting). I only played it up until after the first town, grew tired of the story and the game and dropped it. So about 10-15 hours worth of playtime.

Divinity 2 in comparison vastly improves on almost every element of the game. The writing is much better and also far less dense. So not only is there less of just paragraphs upon paragraphs of text being thrown at you like the original, the actual quality is significantly improved as well. The tone is a bit more serious and far more fitting to the world. The main story is more engaging and interesting.

But what improved perhaps the most? The storytelling and overall flow. The main story serves as a vehicle for all the smaller stories found throughout the world. It's really sort of like The Witcher 3 and the Persona series in that regard. And because the world is so densely packed with stuff to do, you just stumble upon secrets and stories, all relatively self contained and interesting to do, but that feed into the larger narrative.

And that makes the overall loop more interesting and fun to engage in. You want to explore every nook and cranny because the stories and secrets are interesting, which lead to cool rewards, more secrets and interesting combat encounters. And because a lot of the side stories can be completed within an area you find, there's also a feeling of near immediate satisfaction as you not only discover a hidden story but complete it within a relatively short time frame.

Everything else also saw dramatic improvements as well, from combat (more freedom, more interesting classes to mix and match) to crafting. It feels like smarter expansion of gameplay elements found in the original game. And 2 shows that sometimes less is more is the perfect mantra. There are no more crafting levels for examples, and that immediately improves that gameplay subsystem. More, crafting no longer feels necessary but a nice side system to occasionally dabble in which alleviates a bit of the inventory management issue (I just sell everything and make money, I don't even bother crafting now).

I'd honestly consider this, personally, an Assassin's Creed 1 to Assassin's Creed 2, or an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 kind of jump in quality. And I'm hoping people who didn't enjoy Divinity 1, perhaps for the same reasons as me, also find 2 as compelling as I do.

Auctopus

I think I've mentioned this in this thread before but all I want from Divinity 2 is a better quest log/system. I haven't seen any review mention it so far but the thing that stopped me playing D1 in the first town was becoming swamped down after being given a quest by every person/inanimate object I interacted with. I eventually had this out of order collection of brief blurbs that became a chore to sort through and remember exactly which quest was about.

I'm not looking for a Skyrim's "here is the objective, this is where it is, this is what you have to do when you get there" hand-hold but a little more organisation within a game that has so many quests would be appreciated.

Additionally, for a game that's meant to be about choice etc. , it sure had a rigid way of progressing through quests. I remember walking around the first town for about an hour, knowing exactly who had performed the murder and not being able to accuse them. I looked up in a guide what I was meant to do next and the only thing stopping me from accusing the murderer/moving on to the next phase was that I hadn't spoken to this particular person again in the Inn and picked the 3rd conversation option after choosing the 2nd conversation option twice - that sort of obscurity just wasn't fun for me.

The rest of the game (from what I experienced) was great though.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'd honestly consider this, personally, an Assassin's Creed 1 to Assassin's Creed 2, or an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 kind of jump in quality. And I'm hoping people who didn't enjoy Divinity 1, perhaps for the same reasons as me, also find 2 as compelling as I do.

Man I'm sold *whelp my time and wallet*

I think I've mentioned this in this thread before but all I want from Divinity 2 is a better quest log/system. I haven't seen any review mention it so far but the thing that stopped me playing D1 in the first town was becoming swamped down after being given a quest by every person/inanimate object I interacted with. I eventually had this out of order collection of brief blurbs that became a chore to sort through and remember exactly which quest was about.

I'm not looking for a Skyrim's "here is the objective, this is where it is, this is what you have to do when you get there" hand-hold but a little more organisation within a game that has so many quests would be appreciated.

Additionally, for a game that's meant to be about choice etc. , it sure had a rigid way of progressing through quests. I remember walking around the first town for about an hour, knowing exactly who had performed the murder and not being able to accuse them. I looked up in a guide what I was meant to do next and the only thing stopping me from accusing the murderer/moving on to the next phase was that I hadn't spoken to this particular person again in the Inn and picked the 3rd conversation option after choosing the 2nd conversation option twice - that sort of obscurity just wasn't fun for me.

The rest of the game (from what I experienced) was great though.

The quest log has had some changes done to it but nothing drastic. It's easier to see what quest just updated, what's main/side and what has had updates that you haven't checked. I hated the quest log in 1 as well for the same reason as you e.g. trying to figure out what to do next and finding it incomprehensible.

With 2, it hadn't been an issue for me so far. Not because of quest log improvements (or lack thereof) but because of quest structure. Since there's overall much more content that you can complete as you discover it and that stands on its own, there's less of a reason to use the log. That aspect, in combination with hiding completed quests from the log, and much more straightforward writing helps quite a bit. As for rigidity, the main quest is very flexible this time around, partly because it's far less intrusive in your adventuring. It's not in your face like a "solve this murder" plot point but generally a guiding force (I point to Witcher 3 again as I think that's a good comparison).

With that said, I suspect it might still cause issues as it hasn't seen notable improvements by itself, just incidentally through game design. I rarely, if ever, use the log in 2.

Auctopus

That aspect, in combination with hiding completed quests from the log, and much more straightforward writing helps quite a bit..

Thanks for the write-up, man. The quoted is already a big improvement in my books, I'll have to keep an eye out for the PS4 port.

Bahorel

how many new videos did they scream in this week

I bet that sounded cooler in your head. Maybe you should actually try watching them?

Anyway I lovvve the new frame trap set up. The background feels so classy now, looks great!

And Blood your costume <3

ShadyK54

how many new videos did they scream in this week

giphy-downsized-large.gif

J-Skee

Has it been talked about in this thread how much Tim Gettys wants to work with Huber? Because Tim Gettys & Huber need to work together. Like, now.

Sold. Picking this up when I get the chance!

ShadyK54

Looks like it’s Cuphead tonight for the group stream! Should be cool. I haven’t really seen any gameplay yet so I’m excited to see how it plays out.

Looks like it’s Cuphead tonight for the group stream! Should be cool. I haven’t really seen any gameplay yet so I’m excited to see how it plays out.

I haven't played Cuphead myself but the Giantbomb quick look was enough to get me to vote for Gundam. It just seems like a game you really need to concentrate on to get over the difficulty curve, so I'm not sure the group stream environment is the right place to play it. But then again, Giantbomb doesn't have anyone with Brad and Ben's mad skillz, so they might be okay.

Anyway, I haven't watched the full stream yet but hats off to Blood for really following through with the bet. Great costume. That's the way to take a L (take notes, Bosman).

mcw

Its amazing what a new angle plus a couple of lights can do

Hah; yeah, seriously. Reminds me of when I used to be a podcaster. Folks would sometimes ask me:

Guy: I wanna be a podcaster too! What microphone do you recommend?
Me: Where are you going to be using it?
Guy: In a cave, behind a waterfall.
Me: Have you tried not recording there?
Guy: Uh...

I haven't played Cuphead myself but the Giantbomb quick look was enough to get me to vote for Gundam. It just seems like a game you really need to concentrate on to get over the difficulty curve, so I'm not sure the group stream environment is the right place to play it. But then again, Giantbomb doesn't have anyone with Brad and Ben's mad skillz, so they might be okay.

As much as I've been enjoying Gundam Versus, the lack of local multiplayer options and general complexity of its mechanics might not be best suited for the group stream. I could see it maybe being a fun, loosey-goosey group stream if they only messed around with the arcade mode-like AI battles, though. I share your concerns with Cuphead, but I feel like it's probably the one more people will get the gist of how to play faster and be engaged in playing/riffing off of. It's a tough choice!

dickroach

I loved the Pokemon trading card game tournament. They should definitely do another card game tournament.
hell yeah. didn't Jones show on some stream that he had like 100 unopened packs of MTG cards? crack some packs and build Huber a red orc deck

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I was one of the people that early voiced that I think old Cup of Jones should be available to everyone or at least parts of it(cause I felt like back then the way it was it felt like a show that could bring in new people since there was a lot of talk about what EZA was about and what the direction is for the close future).

I think the new format for CoJ really suits it more as something that is for Patrons only and it makes way more sense to me now that it's exclusive.
But dunno we're only two episodes into the new format maybe I'm judging too early.
I just feel the vibe has been more conversation with patrons and less about EZA in general.
-------------------------------------------
On the latest frametrap on destiny talk it really took me back to my experiences with wow raids. At least it sounded like Destiny gives access to that type of feeling with less baggage to achieve it. Weirdly for me I went into dota 2 for that type cooperational high. It's a bit different since real people on the other side make defeat a but more painful I'd say compared to losing in PvE but when you pull of that game you won cause of great coordination where people make good calls it was/is really similar for me to beating raid bosses.

Did huber ever play Nier Automata?
He mentions on the new frametrap he hasn't started it yet cause he isn't quite ready yet for that next big game to play on his own freetime inbetween the other stuff he is doing. He got into steamworld dig 2 instead since it's a smaller experience.
That said I think Nier:A is one of the next big games he wants to get into.

dickroach

between Frame Trap, Cup of Jones, and the Psychonauts stream archive there's like 7 hours of eza stuff to watch today. how. how i do that
guess i'll just open them all in different tabs and hit play at the same time

Top Bottom