• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 30th anniversary event dated January 31

Which Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary announcement did you enjoy most?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
KH3 is using UE4 and look how long it's taking.

But they switched engine mid way. Also fans should start expecting ff7r to be smaller in focus than kh3. It's episodical for a reason. Budget.

Bladenic

But they switched engine mid way. Also fans should start expecting ff7r to be smaller in focus than kh3. It's episodical for a reason. Budget.

There's no way SE is skimping on budget for a remake of their most popular title of all time. I mean, if they are, people won't be happy.

BreakAtmo

UNRELENTING TURBOHYPE.

KH3 is using UE4 and look how long it's taking.

Note that KH3 originally began on Luminous and had to switch to UE4 later, so they had to start over in some areas. FF7R was on UE4 from the start, has multiple development teams handling grunt work, and didn't need a whole new game's worth of story and character/world design to be made from scratch.

AgeEighty

Also 1-9 for on one cart for Vita, lol!

That's actually easily doable. The largest of those games—VII, VIII, and IX—were on CD-ROM and were no larger than 750MB each. You wouldn't even need the largest Vita game card to fit them all. EDIT: Forgot about multiple discs but I still think it's doable; see below.

Now, if they go with the Steam ports of all three it could be another matter.

Plenty of other reasons not to think they will do this, though.

BreakAtmo

That's actually easily doable. The largest of those games—VII, VIII, and IX—were on CD-ROM and were no larger than 750MB each. You wouldn't even need the largest Vita game card to fit them all.

Now, if they go with the Steam ports of all three it could be another matter, but even then I think it's doable.

...The PS1 FF games were all on multiple discs. FF7 is over 1.3GB and that's the smallest one.

AgeEighty

...The PS1 FF games were all on multiple discs. FF7 is over 1.3GB and that's the smallest one.

Ah, yes, good point. Even so, all nine games could probably fit on an 8GB Vita card. The absolute largest IX could be is 3GB, and I know it didn't completely fill all four discs. There was barely anything on Disc 4.

Foffy

Banned

It's episodic so that they can get more money, get content out faster, and not hinder the scope of the original game in a remake.

It also helps that they have a co-developer, so the game won't take lifetimes of various species before it gets out of the door.

dracula_x

That's actually easily doable. The largest of those games—VII, VIII, and IX—were on CD-ROM and were no larger than 750MB each. You wouldn't even need the largest Vita game card to fit them all.

Now, if they go with the Steam ports of all three it could be another matter.

Final Fantasy VII – 3 CDs
Final Fantasy VIII – 4 CDs
Final Fantasy IX - 4 CDs

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
There's no way SE is skimping on budget for a remake of their most popular title of all time. I mean, if they are, people won't be happy.

I just mean that in scope will be a smaller title than kh3 and thus why it's episodical with supposed tight releases between one and the next episode. It's all about scope. Itll have all the flashy graphics you expect but on a title smaller in scale than your typical square Enix Rpg. It's also IMHO a testing ground for an episodicAl release of a future main title. I still think aaa jrpgs have a natural evolution into episodic releases. The genre fits perfectly and will also help SE staying relevant with constant releases instead of investing 4-5 yrs everytime for a main entry. If ff7r it's successful I bet 16 will follow.

duckroll

Looking forward to a new look at FFVIIr, and announcements of new stuff. Maybe some surprises for FFXII HD? A proper FFV remake would be nice too... Wonder if FFT will get any love?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
- FFVIIR Trailer
- FF Collection for PS4
- FFXIII Collection for PS4
- FFXVI Trailer

Philippo

Reposting from the older thread, what i think (and hope) will go down at the event:

Have a conference early next year about the anniversary, announcing all of the following:

-FFXV DLC in February, May, September and December (plus free content patches between all of those)
-FFXII The Zodiac Age release in April 2017
-FFXIV: Stormblood in June, XBO too
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy for PS4, worldwide release in July/August
-World of FF port for Nintendo Switch in Summer
-FFXIII Lightning Trilogy releases in September
-FFVII Remake Part 1 in Fall (confirm November st E3)
-FF 30th Anniversary Collection release in December
-A couple of Mobile prjects here and there

Conclude by saying "but there might be more announcements when all of these are out".

Then at The Game Awards/PSX in December announce FFXVI via a short CGI trailer, just a quick look at the protagonist, the world's aesthetic, director, character designer and writer (Ito, Yuki Matsuzawa or Akihiko Yoshida or Isamu Kamikokuryo, writer ???). PS4, XBO, PC. No release date, but interviews hints at 2019.

C'mon SE you've been working well the past few years to regain our trust, don't fail us right now with slme bogus announcements!

BreakAtmo

Ah, yes, good point. Even so, all nine games could probably fit on an 8GB Vita card. The absolute largest IX could be is 3GB, and I know it didn't completely fill all four discs. There was barely anything on Disc 4.

Sadly, Vita cards are only 4GB. It's a shame.

Foffy

Banned
I just mean that in scope will be a smaller title than kh3 and thus why it's episodical with supposed tight releases between one and the next episode. It's all about scope. Itll have all the flashy graphics you expect but on a title smaller in scale than your typical square Enix Rpg. It's also IMHO a testing ground for an episodicAl release of a future main title. I still think aaa jrpgs have a natural evolution into episodic releases. The genre fits perfectly and will also help SE staying relevant with constant releases instead of investing 4-5 yrs everytime for a main entry. If ff7r it's successful I bet 16 will follow.

I think S-E is trying this episodic RPG model right now with Mobius and Brave Exvius on mobile. One of which is doing it pretty poorly, as you can tell they've padded it out for length.

I'm not sure how they can accomplish it in the AAA space. The mobile games show it as one title with updates. VIIR is a series of $60 games. How does content get carried over? Do you get Samus Aran'd two times if it's a three part trilogy?

The closest example they have of this bridging of titles if XI and XIV, but they're all centered on one player account as MMOs. VIIR has an issue as someone may pick up part three without playing one and two.

Ray Down

Banned
Just remembered that the sequel to Type-0 is still maybe a thing. Wonder if we will ever see it again.

Unless some other group in SE or outside developer is working on it since it's not Tabata team working on it, hell he basically said it's not being worked on.

Looking forward to a new look at FFVIIr, and announcements of new stuff. Maybe some surprises for FFXII HD? A proper FFV remake would be nice too... Wonder if FFT will get any love?

That implies enough people at SE cares about those :p

Or you want budget titles like Star Ocean 5 and the new Saga game.

AgeEighty

Sadly, Vita cards are only 4GB. It's a shame.

I had thought they'd come out with 8GB cards at some point. It's hard to imagine that World of Final Fantasy fit on a 4GB card.

And even if it did, they could always release it digital-only. They've done that with other titles.

duckroll

That implies enough people at SE cares about those :p

Or you want budget titles like Star Ocean 5 and the new Saga game.

I care. That's all that matters. S-E must obey my desires.

FFVII is 2 gig on mobile. 1.5 gig on PC.
FFIX is 3.8 gig on mobile. 7 gig on PC.

Femto.

Considering they are using UE4 it's not impossible. Development should be much smoother on this title than say XV was due to how easy to use and streamlined UE4 is

Still my money is on Spring 2018

UE4 is the only reason why I believe in Nov 2017, first six months of 2018 is the more sensible window.

5ca.jpg

:p

yes :(

AgeEighty

FFVII is 2 gig on mobile. 1.5 gig on PC.
FFIX is 3.8 gig on mobile. 7 gig on PC.

Right, that's for the remasters. If they do a Vita collection, I could see them using the original versions, since unlike the PS4 it runs them natively. Or, like I said above, they could do a digital-only release.

duckroll

Right, that's for the remasters. If they do a Vita collection, I could see them using the original versions, since unlike the PS4 it runs them natively. Or, like I said above, they could do a digital-only release.

The size of the PS Classics for PSP are: 1.7gig, 1.5gig, and 1.5gig. Still larger than the Vita 4gig cart limit. I don't think anyone has ever released Vita cards larger than 4gig. PSO2 fits in a 4gig card and makes you download an extra 1.2gig of data to play it for example. Lol.

Final Fantasy X-3: Tidus Returns (early 2018)
Final Fantasy XIII: Goddess Collection (late 2017)
Final Fantasy VII: Remake - Part 1: Midgar (TBA 2018)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII HD Remaster Redux (early 2018) featuring demo of FFVII: Remake - Part 1: Midgar
Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PS4) (late 2017)
Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age (mid 2017)
Final Fantasy XVI Teaser featuring Agni. Directed by Itou. Produced by Tabata. (20XX)

AgeEighty

The size of the PS Classics for PSP are: 1.7gig, 1.5gig, and 1.5gig. Still larger than the Vita 4gig cart limit. I don't think anyone has ever released Vita cards larger than 4gig. PSO2 fits in a 4gig card and makes you download an extra 1.2gig of data to play it for example. Lol.

Are there additional downloads for games like WoFF and X/X-2 HD? I can't imagine either of those titles fitting on a 4GB card. Even the original non-remastered FFX by itself would have been several GB. Though I do see that X-2 is a download on the Vita version.

I have decided I want them to say the XII Remaster is "available now on PSN...next week at retail and next month on Steam". Totally realistic :p

I would imagine relatively meaty info on VIIR is due.

if the event is japan only i doubt they will have anything substantial :p set expectations to pachinko levels! :D

duckroll

Are there additional downloads for games like WoFF and X/X-2 HD? I can't imagine either of those titles fitting on a 4GB card. Even the original non-remastered FFX by itself would have been several GB.

FFX/X-2 HD are two different cards on Vita. 3.3gig each. I think they cheaped out for the US version and FFX is on card, and X-2 is a download code. Lol.

WoFF is 3.9 gig on Vita and the voice packs are separate downloads at 600+ meg each for EN and JP.

AgeEighty

FFX/X-2 HD are two different cards on Vita. 3.3gig each. I think they cheaped out for the US version and FFX is on card, and X-2 is a download code. Lol.

WoFF is 3.9 gig on Vita and the voice packs are separate downloads at 600+ meg each for EN and JP.

Huh, interesting. Well, if additional downloads are that commonplace of a practice for Vita games to circumvent the card limit, they could always do the same for an anniversary collection. It wouldn't have to be a very large extra download, just a couple more GB.

Of course, all this is just speculation about the collection being technically feasible on Vita, notwithstanding whether I think it will actually happen on Vita (or at all).

Foffy

Banned
Apparently they are already using assets from FFVIIR in MobiusFF in a JP event.

And they're using assets from XV in VIIR. Animations, more precisely. :p

Mobius appears to be pretty heavy in the asset usage from other games. I got a very strong Koji Igarashi vibe by seeing models from other titles and how they're used to fill up the game. Many of the unique models I thought made for it happened to be from XIV, like the Golem.

Strings

My dream scenario is opening the show seemingly too early, with a janitor mopping the stage.

A spotlight will hit him.

He'll mop a little more, then look up to reveal...

Hiroyuki Ito. Ripping off his janitorial clothes male-stripper style, he'll launch straight into the reveal of the turn-based, Agni's Philosophy FFXVI.

Yu Narukami

And they're using assets from XV in VIIR. Animations, more precisely. :p

Mobius appears to be pretty heavy in the asset usage from other games. I got a very strong Koji Igarashi vibe by seeing models from other titles and how they're used to fill up the game. Many of the unique models I thought made for it happened to be from XIV, like the Golem.
Yeah I know. But I found it strange that they used assets from a game that hasn't released yet. Maybe the release date is really next year.

My dream scenario is opening the show seemingly too early, with a janitor mopping the stage.

A spotlight will hit him.

He'll mop a little more, then look up to reveal...

Hiroyuki Ito. Ripping off his janitorial clothes male-stripper style, he'll launch straight into the reveal of the turn-based, Agni's Philosophy FFXVI.

I would love this. That's so "Zidane in FFIX intro sequence" lol

Kamitechi

Reposting from the older thread, what i think (and hope) will go down at the event:

C'mon SE you've been working well the past few years to regain our trust, don't fail us right now with slme bogus announcements!

Everything looks good in that list aside from one thing, FFXIV has it's own fenfests for announcements so They will not announce it then. also XBO version is not likely - at all.

Nomura agrees with you IIRC. He wanted something to be done for Vand VI since they skipped them in the remake order to do VII first.

Philippo

Everything looks good in that list aside from one thing, FFXIV has it's own fenfests for announcements so They will not announce it then. also XBO version is not likely - at all.

Oh shoot i forgot about the XIV fanfest!
And i thought SE was looking into getting cross-play between Sony and MS?

Kamitechi

Oh shoot i forgot about the XIV fanfest!
And i thought SE was looking into getting cross-play between Sony and MS?

As far as I know Yoshida said it's on ms's court.
also, I don't think it's smart from a business point of view to release it on xbo at this time, because they have already missed an expansion, most of the people who want to play the game are already on ps4 or pc. but who knows.

Heartfyre

It'll be far too early, and they seriously shouldn't, but I expect to see the first glimpse of Final Fantasy XVI at this thing.

But even if they only talk about announced games, it's be a meaty show. I look forward to FFVIIR footage.

Top Bottom