• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 30th anniversary event dated January 31

Which Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary announcement did you enjoy most?

Results are only viewable after voting.

khaaan

We can just check the sizes of the games on PSN

Code:
Final Fantasy 1 - 117 MB
Final Fantasy 2 - 206 MB
Final Fantasy 3 - 233 MB
Final Fantasy 4 - 727 MB
Final Fantasy 5 - 134 MB
Final Fantasy 6 - 134 MB
Final Fantasy 7 - 1.3 GB
Final Fantasy 8 - 1.8 GB
Final Fantasy 9 - 1.5 GB

The first six games make approximately 1.5 gigs so they could fit in one more game and the rest would have to be relegated to downloads...unless of course a higher capacity card is made available.

MilkBeard

I hope they show something of FF VIIR. Everyone wants it.

I wouldn't mind a XVI teaser, but I don't want them to jump the gun too much on it, they should wait to reveal it when they are ready and they have a substantial amount of the game developed.

BreakAtmo

I hope they show something of FF VIIR. Everyone wants it.

The event is taking place on the very date that VII released in Japan. If they announce nothing I'll pop a blood vessel. I expect at least a trailer and a look at the multi-part plan, with the name of Part One being confirmed. I would LIKE a Part One release date (hopefully Holiday 2017).

Nya

Didn't Nomura say he plans to do something special for VII's anniversary?

I'm expecting a lot of major reveals about VIIRemake like a new trailer featuring most characters, a gameplay footage, some combat information and few details about how they plan to release the game in parts.

Still want my VI Remake though :c

They could always show some technical demo and hint that it might become FFXVI, without explicitly announcing it as FFXVI.

I'm not even talking about Agni's Philosophy but Rapture -- the technical demo of FFXIV that was shown years before that game's official announcement.

Didn't Nomura say he plans to do something special for VII's anniversary?

I'm expecting a lot of major reveals about VIIRemake like a new trailer featuring most characters, a gameplay footage, some combat information and few details about how they plan to release the game in parts.

Still want my VI Remake though :c
And KH's anniversary. I'm expecting a KH!Cloud return reveal in a KH3 trailer next year as a fun "this year is important for both the IPs!" thing.

RocknRola

Is that collection that was rumoured a while ago even remotely doable? Would love something like that. Pricey, yes, but a great way for people like me (who only really jumped in the series from the PS2 era onwards) to play them all (or almost all).

DKHF

Is that collection that was rumoured a while ago even remotely doable? Would love something like that. Pricey, yes, but a great way for people like me (who only really jumped in the series from the PS2 era onwards) to play them all (or almost all).
The part of the rumour that claimed the first 9 games would be on one Vita card is not doable (due to their size) but it's definitely plausible that SE would at least port all of them (besides VII as it is already on PS4) to PS4 as part of the 30th anniversary.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing all of em on stage for this event.

7c6.gif
bdxRlau.gif%20.

TDn32om.png
Yoshi-Cosplay02.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Hiroyuki-Ito.jpg

He showed up at the FFXV Uncovered event, didn't he? Seem to recall him talking with Tabata as part of a interview taking place there.

Yup, Sakaguchi contacted Tabata after the first demo to give him his opinion on it, and then Tabata seized that opportunity to ask him to appear at the Uncovered event.

Sakaguchi isn't the only former SE employee who sends Tabata comments:
"Yesterday Koichi Ishii, who worked on the original Final Fantasy, stopped by," he tells me. "It was humbling to hear him say that he was glad to see us creating a Final Fantasy that people are interested in, all these years later." It was a particularly affecting moment for Tabata as Ishii, who designed the series' line-dancing battle system, had previously criticised Final Fantasy XV's action-orientated feel. "He scolded me when that was first announced," says Tabata. "But yesterday he told me that it looked like everything was coming to life. He said that it looked like we'd found a way to make Final Fantasy into something new, while retaining something of its core essence. When he said that... I felt so happy."

Scotia

Banned
Nice, looking forward to seeing what gets announced. I'd love for that 30th anniversary collection to be true but I'd be over the moon if just FF8 and FF9 came out on PS4 a la FF7.

Will this be streamed?

RocknRola

The part of the rumour that claimed the first 9 games would be on one Vita card is not doable (due to their size) but it's definitely plausible that SE would at least port all of them (besides VII as it is already on PS4) to PS4 as part of the 30th anniversary.

Sweet. I'd be more than happy to be able to play them on the PS4, remastered or not.

Ffviii&IX ps4
FFXiii trilogy

That's all I need for now. If vii remake makes it this year I'll be presently surprised(and salty because it's before kh3)

duckroll

I would lose my shit. See it now: Sakaguchi contracted as writer for the story and dialogue. A man can dream.

You know that Sakaguchi doesn't even write the scripts for his own games right? He's a top level story concept/outline guy like Nomura. He gets other people to write the actual scripts.

Ridley327

Ah, yes, good point. Even so, all nine games could probably fit on an 8GB Vita card. The absolute largest IX could be is 3GB, and I know it didn't completely fill all four discs. There was barely anything on Disc 4.

There is no 8GB card for Vita. It was a theoretical maximum, but it's never been produced.

I want VIII and/or IX remasters. After playing FF7 in 3x speed (with HD res and trophies) i cant go back to the old games, please Square.

Crisis Core HD please!

XIII collection would be nice but not required.

Dissidia PS4 port sounds likely.

I dont even want to see FF7remake until they have a release window for us.

FFXVI announcement would be crazy but i think thats something they save for E3.

MilkBeard

You know that Sakaguchi doesn't even write the scripts for his own games right? He's a top level story concept/outline guy like Nomura. He gets other people to write the actual scripts.

Alright then, original story by Sakaguchi.

If that's the case (that Sakaguchi didn't touch any of the dialogue), then who was responsible for the humorous nature of Final Fantasy dialogue and characterization that went missing around ff X and onward? If he didn't write them, then I feel like he had an influence on the writer, as it was apparent to me when playing Last Story.

EDIT: In a sense I kind of answered my own question. I feel that when Sakaguchi is guiding a project, his influence is evident in the script, which usually ends up being filled with quirky humor that doesn't take itself too seriously.

wrowa

We can just check the sizes of the games on PSN

Code:
Final Fantasy 1 - 117 MB
Final Fantasy 2 - 206 MB
Final Fantasy 3 - 233 MB
Final Fantasy 4 - 727 MB
Final Fantasy 5 - 134 MB
Final Fantasy 6 - 134 MB
Final Fantasy 7 - 1.3 GB
Final Fantasy 8 - 1.8 GB
Final Fantasy 9 - 1.5 GB

The first six games make approximately 1.5 gigs so they could fit in one more game and the rest would have to be relegated to downloads...unless of course a higher capacity card is made available.

Putting a downlod code for 8 and 9 into the box would be in line with what SE has done for the X HD Collection as well (where X-2 was only included as a download code. Thinking of which, I'm not sure if I ever redeemed it. I wonder if it's still valid...)

Putting a downlod code for 8 and 9 into the box would be in line with what SE has done for the X HD Collection as well (where X-2 was only included as a download code. Thinking of which, I'm not sure if I ever redeemed it. I wonder if it's still valid...)

which really sucks when you think about having a complete collection in a physical box :p

Fdkn

EDIT: In a sense I kind of answered my own question. I feel that when Sakaguchi is guiding a project, his influence is evident in the script, which usually ends up being filled with quirky humor that doesn't take itself too seriously.

that's funny because the latest games don't take themselves seriously and fans blame the lack of sakaguchi for that.

RE: the collection, all of them are already playable on vita so I don't see the motivation. I want them all on ps4 though

MilkBeard

that's funny because the latest games don't take themselves seriously and fans blame the lack of sakaguchi for that.

I wouldn't really agree with that. XIII takes itself too seriously, in my opinion. The sequels are made with a different mindset entirely to a mainline first entry, so those games are kind of a different category in my opinion. In a sense, they go too far off in the other direction, being kind of ridiculous and hard to take seriously.

I haven't played FF XV yet, but I like the idea of the lighthearted journey of the bros, anyway.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm talking about general dialogue, even with the side characters. In the past, many of them had some kind of characteristic or joke-like design. For example, in FF VIII, there was a character that always tried to avoid getting picked to go on the missions, by hilariously holding his stomach and running away. And somewhere in the same part of the game, you will go and stay in a room with kids, and the mom will come in and spank their butts for trying to make you pay money to look out the window.

Another example: Laguna being kind of a numskull on purpose. "Three pigs with one stone," etc. Also little things like characters running around and saying goofy things when you enter an area for the first time. It adds a contrast to the main story, which itself is serious, by breaking up the intensity with these little charming bits.

These kinds of "small details" are lacking in the newer FF games, in my opinion. These little details give the areas and stories a lot of charm, in my opinion. I'm not exactly sure who was responsible for this stuff, but I noticed these kinds of small jokes and characterizations in other Sakaguchi games.

Cynar

Final Fantasy VII – 3 CDs
Final Fantasy VIII – 4 CDs
Final Fantasy IX - 4 CDs
With compression techniques available now I'm betting we could lower that.
The Lightning Trilogy is happening (hopefully), the goddess will return.
Stop. We just got out of the darkest generation for final fantasy fans with the worst games in the series. We really don't need to revisit those so soon.

Eggbok

With compression techniques available now I'm betting we could lower that.

Stop. We just got out of the darkest generation for final fantasy fans with the worst games in the series. We really don't need to revisit those so soon.

All that money XIII made and you think they aren't going to remaster it? Lightning will strike again....

EDIT: For clarification, I'm talking about general dialogue, even with the side characters. In the past, many of them had some kind of characteristic or joke-like design. For example, in FF VIII, there was a character that always tried to avoid getting picked to go on the missions, by hilariously holding his stomach and running away. And somewhere in the same part of the game, you will go and stay in a room with kids, and the mom will come in and spank their butts for trying to make you pay money to look out the window.

Another example: Laguna being kind of a numskull on purpose. "Three pigs with one stone," etc. Also little things like characters running around and saying goofy things when you enter an area for the first time. It adds a contrast to the main story, which itself is serious, by breaking up the intensity with these little charming bits.

These kinds of "small details" are lacking in the newer FF games, in my opinion. These little details give the areas and stories a lot of charm, in my opinion. I'm not exactly sure who was responsible for this stuff, but I noticed these kinds of small jokes and characterizations in other Sakaguchi games.

Sakaguchi had virtually nothing to do with FFVIII though. He was only credited as executive producer (which is the same "role" he had for Chrono Cross). In fact, Sakaguchi wasn't even in the same country as the FFVIII team during that game's development, as he was working on his own entry, FFIX, in the United States.

Kitase was the director for FFVIII with Hashimoto as the producer.

Huh, interesting. Well, if additional downloads are that commonplace of a practice for Vita games to circumvent the card limit, they could always do the same for an anniversary collection. It wouldn't have to be a very large extra download, just a couple more GB.

Of course, all this is just speculation about the collection being technically feasible on Vita, notwithstanding whether I think it will actually happen on Vita (or at all).

I think it is more likely that they will release the games in installments. 1-5 one on card, 6 and 7 on the next, and 8 and 9 on the last one..or something

MilkBeard

Sakaguchi had virtually nothing to do with FFVIII though. He has only credited as executive producer (which is the same role he had for Chrono Cross). In fact, Sakaguchi wasn't even in the same country as the FFVIII team during that game's development, as he was working on his own entry, FFIX, in the United States.

Kitase was the director for FFVIII with Hashimoto as the producer.

Well, it's evident that somewhere along the lines this type of characterization dissolved after IX. Perhaps a loss of many of the creative people involved and too many people losing the plot creatively.
Perhaps that kind of writing was just the result of the right people working together for a long time, sharing a certain mindset.

It really is hard to say, although like I said, I've witnessed the same style of writing in Sakaguchi's games after Square, which is what I'm basing my point upon.

BumRush

In addition to new footage from VIIR, I'm expecting 2-3 remaster, spinoff, collection announcements.

I'd love a VI announcement, but expect things along the lines of XIII collection, FF Musou, and XII / Dissidia dated

Top Bottom