• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Man the Eureka 7 bluray SD remasters are great. It's actually pretty decent looking unlike the joke job that was Spice and Wolf S1 from Funi. That said, it's fucking great reliving Eureka 7 again. Everything that made me fall in love with it is all falling in place. The quote about it being one of the best love stories ever told, I stand by it!

aww yeah eureka 7

too bad nirvash specV is stupid

somethingsomething final fantasy

BadRNG

You can, you know, fight bosses, because it might be fun?

I don't play Dark Souls for the gear, although I really do love me some FROM armor designs. The gear is just a means to an end: clearing bosses and progressing the story.

I get that most MMOs are about gear, because of carrot-on-a-stick design, but it's not inconceivable that maybe the things you do to acquire gear might have meaning in and of themselves.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare a game like Dark Souls to this. There is a lot less challenging content, and once you do it once you are generally set for life, as it's just a repeated dance every time, not much in way of varied builds or strategies. The story in this game has maybe 1 good hour a patch and the rest is fluff.

I'm not arguing there is no value in content besides the gear it provides, if coil wasn't fun I wouldn't be playing this game at all since shinies by themselves aren't good motivation for me. But 99% of the game is built around obtaining the gear, so I can't really fault players for using the best method to obtain said gear. Which right now means hunts.

chrono01

Tuesday/Reset Day is so exciting. Let us hope the Gods of Loot smile upon us this week. If not, there's always next week!

[I will continue to remain positive no matter what.]

is anyone going for the GC glamour armor? i already spotted some people with full sets :D it's pretty expensive.

on another note, Mercy Stroke is the best skill in frontlines. finishing off lalas is hilarious.

IMBored

Tuesday/Reset Day is so exciting. Let us hope the Gods of Loot smile upon us this week. If not, there's always next week!

[I will continue to remain positive no matter what.]

I get to join the reset day fun too because of ST. I got my uat last week so this week I might go for the hat or oil, whatever appears 1st. I also finished T5 (aka got carried by gaf), so I can join 2nd coil but I have to see some vids of the turns, I got asked to go to T7 but I've only read some guides of it.

WolvenOne

Reset day is fun, I can finally run dungeons for something beyond the slim chance of getting drops for GC seals.

.... Really wish they'd drop Soldiery from Hunts, or add more stuff to buy with Myth. This feeling is gonna last like a day. :p

is anyone going for the GC glamour armor? i already spotted some people with full sets :D it's pretty expensive.

on another note, Mercy Stroke is the best skill in frontlines. finishing off lalas is hilarious.

Yes, probably the only thing I'm interested in getting seals for.

231 soldiery after reset...yikes

IvorB

Oh my, y'all drama'ing again?

Sooooo... time for questions:

1) I notice that new content seems to unlock from side quests so I am wondering what the point of completing story is now. Can I drop it at last?

2) Is there any point working towards getting a new weapon from Revenant's Toll ladies when I will have a relic very soon which gets stronger and stronger?

Hasney

1) I notice that new content seems to unlock from side quests so I am wondering what the point of completing story is now. Can I drop it at last?

You won't unlock Ramuh without story. I'm sure more things in future patches too, so you may as well get it out the way while you have time.

Oh my, y'all drama'ing again?

Sooooo... time for questions:

2) Is there any point working towards getting a new weapon from Revenant's Toll ladies when I will have a relic very soon which gets stronger and stronger?

1) Certain quests such as Ex Primals are dependent on story progress. Same for Trials roulette.

2) You can spend 3 week's Soldiery, 1 UAT and then 1 sand of time for an i110 weapon, or you can spend months paying for and doing books to get an animus, and then gathering alexandrite and materia to make it a novus.

Hasney

Can someone explain to a noob what these hunts are

Elite marks are the one that causes the drama/has the best rewards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on these deets, but each zone has one of each rank:

1) B Rank. Spawns every 90 minutes or so and is worth up to 5 seals along with myth and soldiery depending on your contribution. Full party could take one down.

2) A Rank. Spawns every few hours and is worth up to 20 seals, along with more myth and soldiery. Probably need 20 people or so, more if it's Hellclaw and people don't know when to stop attacking.

3) S Rank. Spawns every 48 hours when certain conditions are met (different for each one) and is worth up to 50 seals, along with a shit-ton of myth and solidery.

On top of this, they can drop blood-splattered logs, which can also be bought for 250 seals. 3 of those can be traded for Sands of Time which can be used with the gear you can buy with soldiery to make it iLevel 110, some of the best gear in the game.

The drama comes from the fact the rewards are so good, but people pull monsters before people arrive, sometimes instantly (becoming known as GAFing it on Ultros), meaning those who don't show up don't get anything even though they were on their way annoying them and letting all the slurs and drama be shouted in the zone because they got nothing. All but the S ranks are killed in seconds from when they're pulled.

Just putting this out there
because I know it's sorta frowned upon by square
but would anyone be interested in a legacy account (non steam obviously). I haven't played in over 6 months so some of the gear might be outdated. From memory it would give you a couple ilvl85-90 classes (paladin and scholar) as well well as a bunch of geared crafting classes (as of patch 2.1 so not the latest gear) and something like 2 million gil (can't remember off the top of my head and I haven't got it installed so i can't check). It would also come with 4794 crysta or enough for 180 days subscription, and since it's a legacy account the fees are lower than a regular account (plus has a bunch of the legacy rewards/mounts or minions).

Anyway it's an American account so pm me if you're interested or want more info.

IvorB

You won't unlock Ramuh without story. I'm sure more things in future patches too, so you may as well get it out the way while you have time.

1) Certain quests such as Ex Primals are dependent on story progress. Same for Trials roulette.

2) You can spend 3 week's Soldiery, 1 UAT and then 1 sand of time for an i110 weapon, or you can spend months paying for and doing books to get an animus, and then gathering alexandrite and materia to make it a novus.

Hmmm... okay thanks. Can we talk about how sh*t the main scenario quests are? It's the most brazen filler content I've ever seen. I could understand when they were trying to force feed people experience but what excuse is there now for sending people on a bunch of stupid fetch quests? It drives me up the wall.

How easy is it to get UAT?

No, crysta is basically converting real money into crysta at a conversion rate of 1 penny = 1 crystal (so $14.99 USD = 1499 crysta).

ah nevermind i get it. i read somewhere online if you pay with credit card, they charge you a transaction fee. is that true?

Hasney

Hmmm... okay thanks. Can we talk about how sh*t the main scenario quests are? It's the most brazen filler content I've ever seen. I could understand when they were trying to force feed people experience but what excuse is there now for sending people on a bunch of stupid fetch quests? It drives me up the wall.

How easy is it to get UAT?

I enjoyed the story for the most part, but the quests in this patch were terrible.

As for UAT, they're a drop in Syrcus Tower now, but be warned, it's likely everyone will roll on it and you only get one loot a week. I find the weekend or Monday is best as it's just before reset, so hopefully some players already have their loot for that week

IMBored

any member of gaf guild on right now in uldah? need to target you to apply for FC

Somehow I think there was another way to submit the application now, but I can't find it. Anyway, if you can't find anyone port to the mist housing, ward 1, lot 15 (nw corner of the map). You'll see several gaffers hanging out outside.

In an unrelated subject, I finally have enough materia to meld a crafter for 2 star items. Are comfort zone and ingenuity 2 necessary for the HQ turn ins?

IvorB

I enjoyed the story for the most part, but the quests in this patch were terrible.

As for UAT, they're a drop in Syrcus Tower now, but be warned, it's likely everyone will roll on it and you only get one loot a week. I find the weekend or Monday is best as it's just before reset, so hopefully some players already have their loot for that week

Yeah it's the brain numbing filler quests that kill me.

So wait... in the Syrcus Tower the WHOLE RAID rolls on the one piece of loot????

Hasney

Yeah it's the brain numbing filler quests that kill me.

So wait... in the Syrcus Tower the WHOLE RAID rolls on the one piece of loot????

Talk to 5 people in each city. And the final quest being
Hey guy, you know you saved the world, right? HAND OUT THIS GODDAMN UNIFORM, SCRUB
ugggghhhhhhh.

Nah, at every drop point, every alliance gets it's own loot for you to roll on... So it's just a whole full party!

dramatis

I did. It says I have to find a gaf member, right click on them, and hit apply. so that means i need to find another member when they're online no?

Unless there's an FC search function that I don't know about? (if it doesn't exist, then that's a mind fuc WTFDSFS right there)
If you are on Ultros, we are running around everywhere. There is no way you can't find one GAF at one of the city markets.

Worst case scenario you have to travel to our housing area to find a GAF member.

Guys? ;-;
The only way to know who entered your place is to sit in there and scowl at anybody who comes in, and add them to a list.

You know what DF should have? The same way as PF has? Flags.

- Casual Run
- Serious Play Run
- Multiple Runs for Loot (where it repeats the same members in DF until someone leaves)

That would be awesome. A better matching system. I know this won't happen though.
I am thinking of doing this for my WAR who I rarely play just for dungeons.
Wow, a better matching system that will make the queue times for DPS even longer. Good job on the not so awesome idea.

IMBored

Really? Motherfffffffff

And that chest doesn't always appear, so you'll have the pleasure of running ST over and over again just to see them, get a 98 roll and still not get them.

Now limiting my rolls to Bard hat, UAT and the minion. I already got the bard chest and boots, even though I'm swimming in seals and soldiery. The hat would make a good glamour, though.

Well, the good news is the minion doesn't count for the weekly lock, you can get that and a piece of gear. The oil and uat count.

Hasney

And that chest doesn't always appear, so you'll have the pleasure of running ST over and over again just to see them, get a 98 roll and still not get them.

Now limiting my rolls to Bard hat, UAT and the minion. I already got the bard chest and boots, even though I'm swimming in seals and soldiery. The hat would make a good glamour, though.

And I need the minion... Hell, I wasted hunting seals on the 2 there due to my love of minions. I would have bought that guys legacy account if I could get the minions from that on this account.

orion434

I started a 100% Desynthesis spreadsheet for the Artisan Spectacles. So far out of 21 attempts:

Mastercraft - 9.5%
Fieldcraft III - 28.6%
Rose Gold Ingot - 14.3%
Rose Gold Nugget - 47.6%

For every 1x Mastercraft I'm getting 3x Fieldcraft III which brings the ratio almost to 3:10... the cost of 1 Supra Primary Tool.

I need 7 MOAR Supras, if I'm getting 1/10 and need 3 per tool I need to make 2100 Spicy Tomato Relish? That's alot of shards!!!

Somehow I think there was another way to submit the application now, but I can't find it. Anyway, if you can't find anyone port to the mist housing, ward 1, lot 15 (nw corner of the map). You'll see several gaffers hanging out outside.

In an unrelated subject, I finally have enough materia to meld a crafter for 2 star items. Are comfort zone and ingenuity 2 necessary for the HQ turn ins?

the OP states that it's a 2 step process. one online, and one in game. already got accepted onlie. trying to get the in-game now

Hasney

I started a 100% Desynthesis spreadsheet for the Artisan Spectacles. So far out of 21 attempts:

Mastercraft - 9.5%
Fieldcraft III - 28.6%
Rose Gold Ingot - 14.3%
Rose Gold Nugget - 47.6%

For every 1x Mastercraft I'm getting 3x Fieldcraft III which brings the ratio almost to 3:10... the cost of 1 Supra Primary Tool.

I need 7 MOAR Supras, if I'm getting 1/10 and need 3 per tool I need to make 2100 Spicy Tomato Relish? That's alot of shards!!!

I really should look into desynthisis at some point, as this makes no sense to me.

IMBored

the OP states that it's a 2 step process. one online, and one in game. already got accepted onlie. trying to get the in-game now

I think at one point you could search one member ingame, check the fc profile and apply from there, I don't if it still works. But yeah, like it's been said, look for us in the markets, GC turn in place. Or, go to the drybrush station and wait till a hunt pops. Lots of gaffers will appear.

the story mode of last patch was utter garbage. so much porting/traveling for a bag of hot air. what were they thinking?

some of the tiny cutscenes were nice at least.

I think at one point you could search one member ingame, check the fc profile and apply from there, I don't if it still works. But yeah, like it's been said, look for us in the markets, GC turn in place. Or, go to the drybrush station and wait till a hunt pops. Lots of gaffers will appear.

you weren't kidding, haha. just sent in my app

orion434

I really should look into desynthisis at some point, as this makes no sense to me.

I'll try to explain it as best as possible. For every new ilv 75 Supra Primary Tool you need to trade in 3x Mastercraft Demimateria + 10x Fieldcraft III Demimateria ( and some extras, not too difficult to do )

The most efficient way to get those Demimateria is to Desynthesize the ilv 70 Artisan Spectacles. To get 1 you have to trade in 10x HQ Spicy Tomato Relish.

At Goldsmith Desynthesis lv 100.00 you now have a 100% success rate on ilv 70 gear so you won't botch an attempt.

If I'm getting 1 Mastercraft for every 10 trade ins ( 100 HQ Spicy Tomato Relish ) I will need 21x more Mastercraft for the 7 other Supra ilv 75 Primary Tools. I need to make another 2,100 HQ Spicy Tomato Relish and each requires 11x Fire shards + 10x Water Shards.

23,100 Fire shards x 90 Gil each = 2,079,000
21,000 Water Shards x 75 Gil each = 1,575,000

3,654,000 Gil worth of shards... if rates stay the same on Ultros :)

Hasney

I'll try to explain it as best as possible. For every new ilv 75 Supra Primary Tool you need to trade in 3x Mastercraft Demimateria + 10x Fieldcraft III Demimateria ( and some extras, not too difficult to do )

The most efficient way to get those Demimateria is to Desynthesize the ilv 70 Artisan Spectacles. To get 1 you have to trade in 10x HQ Spicy Tomato Relish.

At Goldsmith Desynthesis lv 100.00 you now have a 100% success rate on ilv 70 gear so you won't botch an attempt.

If I'm getting 1 Mastercraft for every 10 trade ins ( 100 HQ Spicy Tomato Relish ) I will need 21x more Mastercraft for the 7 other Supra ilv 75 Primary Tools. I need to make another 2,100 HQ Spicy Tomato Relish and each requires 11x Fire shards + 10x Water Shards.

23,100 Fire shards x 90 Gil each = 2,079,000
21,000 Water Shards x 75 Gil each = 1,575,000

3,654,000 Gil worth of shards... if rates stay the same on Ultros :)

Cheers, but goddamn. OK, no need to look into all this until I'm a Gil billionare or very lucky!

That's a lot of relish.

orion434

Cheers, but goddamn. OK, no need to look into all this until I'm a Gil billionare or very lucky!

That's a lot of relish.

No problem :) You can trade in other items to get the Artisan Spectacles, 10x HQ Sprirt of Salts is 1/2 as efficient, requires 2x HQ Volcanic Rock Salt... but I wouldn't do the others... 2x HQ Dark Steel Nuggets will run you 10K for just 1 HQ Darksteel Hook and forget about HQ Rose Gold Nuggets :p

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Man the Eureka 7 bluray SD remasters are great. It's actually pretty decent looking unlike the joke job that was Spice and Wolf S1 from Funi. That said, it's fucking great reliving Eureka 7 again. Everything that made me fall in love with it is all falling in place. The quote about it being one of the best love stories ever told, I stand by it!

I just finished rewatching it not too long ago. I love the BD packaging. Totally worth.

Not having internet for 5 days sucks....

Taruranto

The system works exactly like before, how would that suck out the enjoyment of hunts? Only because you can't do it 24/7?

Yes. I can do hunt how much I want and when I want. I don't log and ask myself "What did I cap today? What can I do?" but "Do I want to do hunts? Or I don't?" If I don't want to do them... then I won't. I can always catch up later. With cap the Hunt System would feel like a job. "Oh no, I need to log today to get the 400 seals"

Lockouts are an awful, awful mechanics that sucks the fun out of the game. I'm tired of developers constantly telling me how much I can play the game.

Hasney

Yes. I can do hunt how much I want and when I want. I don't log and ask myself "What did I cap today? What can I do?" but "Do I want to do hunts? Or I don't?" If I don't want to do them... then I won't. I can always catch up later. With cap the Hunt System would feel like a job. "Oh no, I need to log today to get the 400 seals"

Lockouts are an awful, awful mechanics that sucks the fun out of the game. I'm tired of developers constantly telling me how much I can play the game.

A game like this does need some type of lockout, or take soldiery out of everything apart from high level dungeons. Otherwise the players that are working their way up to the highest gear would just grind until they get it and cancel their sub to the next patch.

However, since the soldiery cap is in place, I don't think seals caps are needed on top.

Taruranto

A game like this does need some type of lockout, or take soldiery out of everything apart from high level dungeons. Otherwise the players that are working their way up to the highest gear would just grind until they get it and cancel their sub to the next patch.

However, since the soldiery cap is in place, I don't think seals caps are needed on top.

This happens already. Doesn't anyone remember how dead the game was content-wise pre 2.1 and 2.2?

If anything Hunts made so people will log more once they capped their soldiery/ST.

There's nothing to apologize for, the Hunts have problems but most players are happy to have something to do after they have gotten their weekly ST item and did their weekly Coil runs. Plus you actually get to SEE other players in open-world, non-instanced content, that's what puts the Massively in Massively Multiplayer Online Game. I'm glad they added real open-world content, otherwise the world is just a glorified lobby for instances like PSO or Diablo.

Because of Hunts, I have nearly capped out my Friends list at 200 people. I've met a lot of people while hunting.

This. People can criticize Hunts all they want, they are flawed yeah, but I'd rather do them than another DF, instanced dungeon over and over.

Hasney

This happens already. Doesn't anyone remember how dead the game was content-wise pre 2.1 and 2.2?

If anything Hunts made so people will log more once they capped their soldiery/ST.

No. No I do not.

Probably because I played for 2 weeks after launch and didn't get back into it until the PS4 version... Oh wait, I was part of the problem.

iammeiam

Happy reset day!

Does anyone know if there's an acc cap for CT2? I should be able to get my Noskillsenbogen today, but unless and until Amon coughs up his pants my accuracy is going to be crap.

I know it's CT2 and I could probably do the whole thing with the starter bow and nobody would notice, but I like shooting dragons.

(Speaking of, why can I shoot ladybugs as a noob archer with a twig and some string, but can't hit a giant stationary target with some schmancy superbow fifty levels later? I think my character got lazy.)

Happy reset day!

Does anyone know if there's an acc cap for CT2? I should be able to get my Noskillsenbogen today, but unless and until Amon coughs up his pants my accuracy is going to be crap.

I know it's CT2 and I could probably do the whole thing with the starter bow and nobody would notice, but I like shooting dragons.

(Speaking of, why can I shoot ladybugs as a noob archer with a twig and some string, but can't hit a giant stationary target with some schmancy superbow fifty levels later? I think my character got lazy.)

usually for ct/regular dungeons accuracy cap isn't important. Acc only comes into play in the extreme primals and coil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom