• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

After putting in some more time with cockpit view I could honestly see myself playing through the game with it. I kept switching back and forth between hood/cockpit and I never felt like cockpit was to restrictive. And turning the HUD off just really completes the experience. Got my lap times up into the 2% range, which ya, still sucks compared to the leaders. Also, I am playing with a controller. I want a fanatec wheel, but we'll see...

Jube3

enzo_gt said:
Jube's painting Iron Man eh?

Its coming a long bit by bit. Gonna try to finish this tonight.
ironmancar.png

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
If somebody feels like doing so, an "OnkelMobile" might be fun, just think of this in the rear view mirror:
5-small.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

I'm so hyped for FM3.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ResidentDante said:
Watched you earlier on today, amazing how fast you are :)
I'm watching him now, I've said it before, but the details he can create with random shapes is just unbelievable.

p3tran

Banned
Iknos said:
Maybe it's time people started talking about T10 in the same way they talk about Bungie or Rare?

who's "they"? T10 has been my "creme de la creme" since 2005 8) woot!

guys game is awesome, I know some want mini-reviews and impressions, so I better give the striking impression:

Holly molly, there's so much here to do! and everything's improved!
For anybody with a slight interest in cars, this cannot get enough 10's
It's like a digital mini-heaven for car fans:D

Petros

HooYaH

p3tran said:
who's "they"? T10 has been my "creme de la creme" since 2005 8) woot!

guys game is awesome, I know some want mini-reviews and impressions, so I better give the striking impression:

Holly molly, there's so much here to do! and everything's improved!
For anybody with a slight interest in cars, this cannot get enough 10's
It's like a digital mini-heaven for car fans:D

Petros

I give it an F for not coming out any sooner. :(

Stop It said:
I'm watching him now, I've said it before, but the details he can create with random shapes is just unbelievable.
I know, it is unbelievable. The thought of what these people could do if Forza 3 had photoshop in it scares me ^^

eso76

i might bribe that blockbuster guy and walk home with my LC today : )

Can't wait to start painting my 2010 Strider car.
Still don't know what car it will be though.

eso76 said:
i might bribe that blockbuster guy and walk home with my LC today : )

Can't wait to start painting my 2010 Strider car.
Still don't know what car it will be though.

If you mean Blockbuster UK, I did call my local store yesterday to see if they had their copies in and was told that it wouldn't be shipping to the stores until Monday, so if there is a break in release date then unlikely until Tuesday / Weds at the earliest.
This damn wait is killing me...

phil_t

Banned
Iknos said:
B-b-b-b-but the wheel is perfectly fine...all yous people saying it has problems are making this stuff up!

I have the same problem. I don't know if MS fixes it and one DIY fix I saw looked like there were a lot of room for mistakes so I'm not going for that. There is a bearing replacement you can do I think.

Despite turning right to stay straight I had fun with the demo so I'll stick with it for the full game. One thing I noticed though is that when I was doing the track backwards and most turns were right turns I found the controls to be much better for the obvious reason of there not being any slack from center to right on the wheel. So maybe taking the risk fixing the wheel could pay off.

I had all the known issues with my MS wheel..

But with a bit of DIY (only minor, not done the bearing mod), it's transformed into something that is actually 'OK'...

The main issues lie around the 'sensor' that detects the position of the wheel, it's a basic potentiometer, this connects to the wheel via a small gear driven shaft.

120mjb7.jpg

This is a bit of a small image, but the 'rotational sensor' can just be seen..

The two issues as you probably know are
1. Off centre wheel position - This shouldn't actually cause the car to steer off-straight, as the sensor drives the wheel to what it thinks is centre (and outputs to the console as centre), it's just that to you it doesn't look centered.
The fix is to take a dremel (or similar) and elongate the mounting holes for the sensor board, thus you can change the angle of the sensor board, and therefore get the wheel to look straight when the sensor thinks it is centered.

2. Play around centre - This has two sides, the first is that because the wheel is gear driven, it has some 'backlash' as the gear's don't mesh that well, this however does not translate to any 'deadband' in control as the the gearing that connects to the sensor is much better, the sensor still detects the movement, but it just feels a little loose due to the main gear meshing.
The second aspect, which is an issue, is that the shaft that connects the wheel to the rotational sensor is just a keyed half moon shaft. The problem is that this isn't a tight fit with the sensor, there is a very small amount of play, which does cause a small amount of actual deadband.
My fix for this ( a bit drastic, but ultimately does the job) was to glue the shaft to the sensor (super glue), and now this is directly coupled which removes this issue completely (well apart from the gear meshing making it feel like a small deadband exists).

To determine if your wheel is suffering from the sensor shaft not being tight with the sensor, I think you can easily spot it without taking the wheel apart.. If you power the wheel up so that when you move it, it always tries to re-center when you let it go, just rotate it one way or the other (just 20 degrees or so will do), and look at how it 'stops' when it returns, if it returns to a slightly different position each time, the shaft is loose, if it seems to slightly shimmy when it stops, the shaft is loose, finally if moving the wheel fractionally left or right (I mean fractionally, just a gnats whisker) and it doesn't re-centre, the shaft is loose...

Obviously the glue-ing needs to be done carefully, I only applied a spot of glue to the shaft (not too much), and when I inserted it into the sensor, I kept it moving for 30 seconds to ensure any transferred glue didn't ruin the sensor (it has to move internally)..

The final 'issue' with the wheel, is that it has a lot of mechanical play in it's bushings, and the bearing mod will alleviate this, but this is a step too far for me..

I'd say that now, I'm happy with the wheel for the price, MS only needed to have spent $0.10 on gluing the sensor to the shaft in production, and allowed a software 'centering' method to eliminate the off-centre issue, and it'd have been much much better..

eso76

Fantasmo said:
If you mean Blockbuster UK, I did call my local store yesterday to see if they had their copies in and was told that it wouldn't be shipping to the stores until Monday, so if there is a break in release date then unlikely until Tuesday / Weds at the earliest.

that's strange, some blockbuster stores in Italy have had copies since wednsday, that's where my first impressions came from.

Lucius86

Banned
Fantasmo said:

I phoned up Blockbuster to cancel my online pre-order, and she mentioned they will be putting details up on the web site to explain what will be happening due to the postal strike - although its not gospel, she did say they are looking into getting an external courier to beat the Royal Mail strike and still getting it delivered on time.....I can only hope!

So for now I'm keeping my online order, and I'm going to wait until Monday for extra info - else I will cancel it then.

acm2000

Lucius86 said:
I phoned up Blockbuster to cancel my online pre-order, and she mentioned they will be putting details up on the web site to explain what will be happening due to the postal strike - although its not gospel, she did say they are looking into getting an external courier to beat the Royal Mail strike and still getting it delivered on time.....I can only hope!

So for now I'm keeping my online order, and I'm going to wait until Monday for extra info - else I will cancel it then.

i too have heard they will be using a different courier if postal strikes were confirmed (which they now have) so i shouldnt worry, £40 for the LE is too good to cancel, although allegedly some blockbuster stores will be selling it that price too, and some £44.99

Lucius86

Banned
acm2000 said:
i too have heard they will be using a different courier if postal strikes were confirmed (which they now have) so i shouldnt worry, £40 for the LE is too good to cancel, although allegedly some blockbuster stores will be selling it that price too, and some £44.99

But I want my Forza on release day :-(

Senua

Gold Member
antiquegamer said:
Sorry, just tired of reading his snide comments in almost every posts he makes. Go look at his post history ... the game is good but ... (insert whatever negative here). It just get kinda old.
how i feel is getting kind of old? you are obviously a fanboy hurt by my opinions haha

to anyone who has tried the FOV 'hack'? i heard it crashes the game in quickrace sometimes, is this true? i feel in love with the angle, but i dont want it to be destroying my game when it comes out.

Dina

Templar Wizard said:
to anyone who has tried the FOV 'hack'? i heard it crashes the game in quickrace sometimes, is this true? i feel in love with the angle, but i dont want it to be destroying my game when it comes out.

That's what I heard as well. It just doesn't load at all in quickplay, just sits at the loading screen doing nothing.

abrasion

Banned
Just want to get my whine out there again, because it's fucking killing me.
This ridiculously long cycle from gold -> release date completely sucks balls.
How many sales are being lost due to people tormenting the heck out of this game? A forum I'm on at the moment has a heap of people discussing it (no I don't have it and no it's not a piracy forum)
I'm actually less disappointed with the pirates than I am the lack of aproval for stores to release early.
Fucking.weak

eso76

oh, another thing i forgot to mention.

Weight reduction does something to interiors, i couldn't see in cockpit view since in my one hour test i didn't make enough money to actually buy any upgrades but i did browse through a few of them and i did see that weight reduction does (at least) remove the passenger's seat, i don't think this happened in fm2.

abrasion said:
How many sales are being lost due to people tormenting the heck out of this game? A forum I'm on at the moment has a heap of people discussing it (no I don't have it and no it's not a piracy forum)
I'm actually less disappointed with the pirates than I am the lack of aproval for stores to release early.
Fucking.weak

Four? Five? I mean, how many sales would MS stand to lose if they just jumped the gun without any kind of coordinated marketing effort? If a bunch of pirates want to play 1/3rd of the game, forever, and cut themselves off from multiplayer and community and all that stuff, also forever, MS needs abandon all their plans to goad this misanthropes into buying the game at retail instead?

Sure, I'd like the game today, but I'm not going to go on a tirade against MS just because they have a launch plan and a bunch of pirates who clearly could care less about the actual gameplay experience have gotten their hands on it.

nofi

abrasion said:
Fucking.weak

It's out a week, seriously.

On the plus side, have another 10/10 from me. Fucking awesome game.

sneaky77

Shaneus said:
Given Turn 10's track record for producing consistently high-quality software, I'd say they're a notch or two above Rare and possibly even Bungie.
Given that this gen is going to last a little while longer, I'd love to see them put some effort into something slightly different... either a rally game or something in a completely different genre altogether. They certainly seem capable of it.

rallysport 3 believe!!

Ironman looks fucking awesome dude..

Lucius86

Banned
abrasion said:
Fucking.weak

For a game like Forza that will shift millions, the effect on the sales will be a drop in the ocean. I think you overestimate the issue here - sure its not perfect, but the extra marketing MS will be pulling for Forza 3 (i hope) will bring in many more sales compared to losing some to pirates who do not learn the virtue of patience.

It will be great if blockbuster use someone apart from royal mail, but a shame it's going to cost them extra i'd imagine, least with my pre-order they are not allowed to charge extra without warning :D

I do have a blockbuster about 25 minute walk from where I live but last time I went there they were like "what's a 360?"

Lucius86 said:
For a game like Forza that will shift millions, the effect on the sales will be a drop in the ocean. I think you overestimate the issue here - sure its not perfect, but the extra marketing MS will be pulling for Forza 3 (i hope) will bring in many more sales compared to losing some to pirates who do not learn the virtue of patience.

Er, did you mean to quote the guy I was quoting?

p3tran

Banned
ok, resurfacing for another snippet:

-You are going to die for the new tracks!!!

When racing Positano or Kaido I caught myself going "oh shit!" all the time and my eyeballs popingout by the awesome!!

And dont think just graphics! Think all the twisty turns and elevation changes and devilish bends!
this is a racing game after all, and the new tracks forza offers are just fucking awesome! for driving!
and they are so fucking long!!

gotta.go.back!!

p.s.
here's what I'm tuning now:
'07tt with 2.7biturbo RS4 motor, spec'd for A class 8)

tta1563.jpg

tta3564.jpg

tta2707.jpg

p3tran said:
ok, resurfacing for another snippet:

-You are going to die for the new tracks!!!

When racing Positano or Kaido I caught myself going "oh shit!" all the time and my eyeballs popingout by the awesome!!

And dont think just graphics! Think all the twisty turns and elevation changes and devilish bends!
this is a racing game after all, and the new tracks forza offers are just fucking awesome! for driving!
and they are so fucking long!!

gotta.go.back!!

p.s.
here's what I'm tuning now:
'07tt with 2.7biturbo RS4 motor, spec'd for A class 8)
Oooo, interesting engine swap! How's it drive?

bj00rn_

Banned
p3tran said:
still lots of finetuning to do, but I'd say not bad.. :D

http://xs1044.xs.to/xs1044/09425/tt_test150.jpg[IMG]
(from the career leaderboards)[/QUOTE]

You guys at the top of the leaderboards in Forza 3; do you use "normal" racing lines relatively staying inside the tracks in the way you do in real life, or are you somehow using "shortcuts" to do the awesome times?

Sometimes I think I'm doing really really good in some racing games, keeping everything smooth and accurate, then loading the leaderboards I'm not even close.. Then watching the replays of what some of these people do, it's just insane in a way it wouldn't be possible in real life, sliding barriers, cutting through corners, using glitches.. I just want to know if Forza 3 do a good job plugging some of the craziest loopholes and glitches that sometimes occur in other racing games.

p3tran said:
still lots of finetuning to do, but I'd say not bad.. :D
That's what I'm talking about. Nice work!

It will be nice to have a carrot to chase on the leaderboards when the game finally ships here in the US.

KHarvey16

I'm definitely looking forward to release, but at the same time it means my times will be nowhere near the top of the leader board like they are now. It's very bittersweet.

Oh and Kaido is probably my favorite track in anything ever.

Top Bottom