• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
4th listen through, Goblin is still a 6/10 for me. Way too much bullshit on the album. Some really great tracks, but quite a bit garbage that I can barely listen to.
But I seem to be in a minority here. Although I am predicting a Kanye like backlash when the hype subsides and the album doesn't hold up over time.
I do however think that Tyler has it in him to release a monstrous album in time, after he has evolved and honed his skills more. He just isn't there yet, not even close. He's that promising high school athlete that could potentially play in the NBA one day if he continues progressing, or he could self destruct and end up with Canibus in the "I was supposed to take over hip hop" retirement home. I think a lot of hype comes from his potential, not his actual current ability.

Recon

Banned
siddx said:
4th listen through, Goblin is still a 6/10 for me. Way too much bullshit on the album. Some really great tracks, but quite a bit garbage that I can barely listen to.
But I seem to be in a minority here. Although I am predicting a Kanye like backlash when the hype subsides and the album doesn't hold up over time.
I do however think that Tyler has it in him to release a monstrous album in time, after he has evolved and honed his skills more. He just isn't there yet, not even close. He's that promising high school athlete that could potentially play in the NBA one day if he continues progressing, or he could self destruct and end up with Canibus in the "I was supposed to take over hip hop" retirement home. I think a lot of hype comes from his potential, not his actual current ability.

I agree 100%. I get why people like Tyler, but i dont get the high praise for the actual material.

Jay Sosa

HiResDes said:
Dude have you heard Longterm Mentality, please tell me someone else has?

...Oh yeah this was dope, Jay Rock was kinda off though actually...Ab-Soul's verse was indeed better than I remembered

Not yet...have enough stuff to listen to (bought the Linton Kwesi Johnson Bass Culture and soime Jimmy McGriff album..sooo brilliant) but will buy it later this year. Like I posted before I usually don't like to paying for digital copies but they gave me so much good music I'll see it as a donation. And hell yeah Black Hippie>everyone else..I love how they're so diverse. You have K.Dot the introspective one, Jay Rock the Gangsta, Ab Soul the broke and funny dude and Q..well Q is just awesome :D

Also dld that Jay Rock From the hood to the cover of the XXL tape, that shit is WC Gangsta rap at it's finest.

overcast said:
What is this? Who does it consist of? What should I cop?

Does ANYONE read my posts? I just praise them few days ago..

I know I'm extremely late but I finally listened to Ab Souls tape, Long Term 2. For some weird reason I always thought he's just the hypeman of Black Hippie, but the tape is just as awesome as Qs, K.Dots and Jay Rocks. I even go as far and say they are the most talented collective in rap, right next to OF.

I especially love how he talks about his struggles in a fun and entertaining way, not like Buddens who's depressing as fuck. It's a nice change to all these dudes telling me how rich and fly they are..

Soul Cry

Regular

Drift Away

I'm gonna go listen to Linkin Park :C

Goblin...

Tyler isn't saying anything new or particularly "shocking." His entire clique is a c-rate early Eminem type attempt at shock rap. And like Eminem, Odd Future has built a nice base of people who don't listen to hip hop and are now shocked and amazed at the "edgy, offensive" lyricism. Yea ok

I finished the album last night and will revise my opinion: it's not bad, but average. He's a good producer; I don't hear many samples here. The lyrics are often vapid and childish, but at times they're brutally honest as well. Unfortunately it's brought down down by filler. At least when Eminem arrived his rapping ability was so un-fuck-withable that even haters couldn't fully hate on him. Tyler is so eager to shock the public while at the same time constantly reminding us he doesn't care about critics or older people - the type of folks who would be shocked by his childish rants. Everything I've seen from him since Yonkers suggests he wants to be a superstar and win awards, which conflicts with his lyricism.

Budden and Royce both speaking shit about Bis for a while now, Bis finally had enough and decided to go at them niggars.

Canibus came correct.

Canibus & Born Sun - Lyrical Law vs Joey Cupcakes

http://youtu.be/Ky333l_5w_c

Also Canibus speaking some real shit here about D-12. Talking how Elvis AKA Eminem not been paying these niggars! None of them guys ar eating while Eminem dumps D-12 to sign Slaughterhouse.

Check LL vs Royce 5"9

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_8490795

Recon

Banned
kobashi100 said:
Budden and Royce both speaking shit about Bis for a while now, Bis finally had enough and decided to go at them niggars.

Canibus came correct.

Also Canibus speaking some real shit here about D-12. Talking how Elvis AKA Eminem not been paying these niggars! Dumping D-12 to sign Slaughterhouse

Check LL vs Royce 5"9

http://www.reverbnation.com/canibus

How is he Elvis? And he has dropped people close to him before(Obie). D12 just arent that good, and Em was the only thing keeping them relevant. Slaughterhouse is a fantastic group made up of some very talented individuals. D12 made a ton of money because of Em, but they ran their course. Em will never completely drop them, but you gotta put your efforts where they are deserved.

Just listened to it, sounds like Bis is still ass-hurt from something said a long time ago, its kinda pathetic.

Edit: Lmao, he actually was bitching about twitter...Im sorry, i cant take anyone seriously when they are trying to act hard then they bitch about twitter accounts.

effzee

kobashi100 said:

Canibus came correct.

Also Canibus speaking some real shit here about D-12. Talking how Elvis AKA Eminem not been paying these niggars! None of them guys ar eating while Eminem dumps D-12 to sign Slaughterhouse.

Check LL vs Royce 5"9

I am pretty sure D12 is paid pretty well for doing what they do, which in actuality is nothing. They are pretty much identical to almost every crew out there attached to a big name rapper. Only famous cause of that rapper and make more money then they should be off of one name.

Or maybe its true but the first time I am hearing of D12 having any money issues with Eminen

PhoenixDark said:
Goblin...

Tyler isn't saying anything new or particularly "shocking." His entire clique is a c-rate early Eminem type attempt at shock rap. And like Eminem, Odd Future has built a nice base of people who don't listen to hip hop and are now shocked and amazed at the "edgy, offensive" lyricism. Yea ok

I finished the album last night and will revise my opinion: it's not bad, but average. He's a good producer; I don't hear many samples here. The lyrics are often vapid and childish, but at times they're brutally honest as well. Unfortunately it's brought down down by filler. At least when Eminem arrived his rapping ability was so un-fuck-withable that even haters couldn't fully hate on him. Tyler is so eager to shock the public while at the same time constantly reminding us he doesn't care about critics or older people - the type of folks who would be shocked by his childish rants. Everything I've seen from him since Yonkers suggests he wants to be a superstar and win awards, which conflicts with his lyricism.

I know that this is just saying whats always been said... but he's just a kid. He's been really honest when he says he wants to be famous and sell out or whatever but he also mentions how he just wants to loiter and skate with his buddies like he used to before all this famous. He knows he's hypocritical sometimes but I think he's just conflicted with everything.

On a non-related note, does anyone over the age of 15 listen to dumb shit like "Loud Pockets" by Young L? GAF-HOP doesn't listen to awful shit like that, do you?

For the most part I'm out of the loop with what's cool and good now, but I just heard it and it represented everything retarded with popular rap/hip hop/whatever

Recon

Banned
effzee said:
I am pretty sure D12 is paid pretty well for doing what they do, which in actuality is nothing. They are pretty much identical to almost every crew out there attached to a big name rapper. Only famous cause of that rapper and make more money then they should be off of one name.

Or maybe its true but the first time I am hearing of D12 having any money issues with Eminen

Whats really suspect is that he is calling out Denaun as having money issues..I dont see how thats possible because i always see his name attached to various peoples songs as producer...Plus after Proof died, he was the one always by em's side as the hype man...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Got the new(?) Freeway mixtape yesterday, "Philly Freezer".

Not as good as "Stimulus Package", but I like it. The standout track is 'Hustle Baby'.

Too bad probably only 10,000 or so people will even know this exists.

Recon

Banned
dskillzhtown said:

Not as good as "Stimulus Package", but I like it. The standout track is 'Hustle Baby'.

I respect Freeway's talent, i just dont like his voice for some reason.

effzee

ReconYoda said:
Whats really suspect is that he is calling out Denaun as having money issues..I dont see how thats possible because i always see his name attached to various peoples songs as producer...Plus after Proof died, he was the one always by em's side as the hype man...

Yeah its just another random line that gets thrown in a battle rap to sound controversial. You mean the guy who is Em's producer, hype man, and part of a group of close friends (d12) actually has money issues? I doubt it. He of all the D12 members would be set with money since he actually produces for artists. Or maybe this is just to draw D12 into the beef as well?

Eminem better not even try. He just isn't the same to get into a beef and not get clowned.

ReconYoda said:
How is he Elvis? And he has dropped people close to him before(Obie). D12 just arent that good, and Em was the only thing keeping them relevant. Slaughterhouse is a fantastic group made up of some very talented individuals. D12 made a ton of money because of Em, but they ran their course. Em will never completely drop them, but you gotta put your efforts where they are deserved.

Just listened to it, sounds like Bis is still ass-hurt from something said a long time ago, its kinda pathetic.

Edit: Lmao, he actually was bitching about twitter...Im sorry, i cant take anyone seriously when they are trying to act hard then they bitch about twitter accounts.

Bis is responding to Budden and Royce dissing him. This is the problem, people think Bis is doing this for no reason. He stayed quiet for a long while but them both wouldnt shut up.

Also Bis confirms that somebody close to Proof called Bis and said how D-12 are not eating.

dskillzhtown said:

Thanks dude, I am a freeway fan and never knew this came out.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
dskillzhtown said:

link? will check him out.

Detox

ReconYoda said:
How is he Elvis?
I'm going to guess its along the lines of he took black music and made shit loads of money off it, something like that. I remember Em said it as a way to piss people off in one his earlier songs can't remember which one, someone will remember.

Recon

Banned
kobashi100 said:
Bis is responding to Budden and Royce dissing him. This is the problem, people think Bis is doing this for no reason. He stayed quiet for a long while but them both wouldnt shut up.

Also Bis confirms that somebody close to Proof called Bis and said how D-12 are not eating.

Thanks dude, I am a freeway fan and never knew this came out.

No, i understand that he needs to say shit, but then his rant on D12 was comical. He has a source that someone close to proof(who is dead) said D12 is not eating. Im pretty sure there would be more out there than "a source close to a dead member of the group" if that were true. And that Elvis comment was petty. Em has acknowledged the fact that he is white in a predominantly black genre. He didnt steal anything tho, which was always directed at elvis. Just seems like a cheap shot at someone that probably hasnt uttered Bis's name in a long time. I like Cannibus, i dislike D12, im lukewarm on Slaughterhouse( i felt their debut was kinda weak). But i just think his comments on D12 and Em is a bit off.

kobashi100 said:

Canibus came correct.

Check LL vs Royce 5"9

Fuck Canibus, dude is completely irrelevant for good reason

Eminem took D12 out of Detroit, went around the world touring with them, and got them paid. If they're hurting for anything today it's due to their financial decisions. And Em is still very close with Mr. Porter, who is his hype man and one of the most sought after producers in hip hop.

Slaughterhouse will get their time in the sun before fading too. Eminem IS hip hop. I may not like his new music, but the dude has always been a huge fan of the genre, knows his shit, etc. I'm so glad he's moved away from pure Dre beats and reached out to other producers.

dskillzhtown

Complex Shadow said:
link? will check him out.

At work and lucky I can even get to GAF given the sites that are blocked, lol. I'll post a link when I get home.

I know it is on the normal mixtape sites like datpiff, mixtapetorrent, etc.

Recon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Fuck Canibus, dude is completely irrelevant for good reason

Eminem took D12 out of Detroit, went around the world touring with them, and got them paid. If they're hurting for anything today it's due to their financial decisions. And Em is still very close with Mr. Porter, who is his hype man and one of the most sought after producers in hip hop.

Slaughterhouse will get their time in the sun before fading too. Eminem IS hip hop. I may not like his new music, but the dude has always been a huge fan of the genre, knows his shit, etc. I'm so glad he's moved away from pure Dre beats and reached out to other producers.

This is why i called Bullshit on the whole thing, he specifically calls out Porters family as not being able to eat.....

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
dskillzhtown said:
At work and lucky I can even get to GAF given the sites that are blocked, lol. I'll post a link when I get home.

I know it is on the normal mixtape sites like datpiff, mixtapetorrent, etc.
its cool, i just googled it. not bad.

ReconYoda said:
This is why i called Bullshit on the whole thing, he specifically calls out Porters family as not being able to eat.....

Dude produced PIMP for 50 Cent, and had production on Recovery. Not to mention he tours with Eminem. He's doing fine, I'm sure.

kobashi100 said:
Bis just sending out a warning to them guys. Bis in Battle mode will beat them both!

You can't be serious. Canibus has continuously been one of the most over-rated rappers ever. To anyone who is mildly scientifically literate his music is just random gibberish being yelled into your ear until you tap out.

Canibus is definitely one of the worst rappers ever. I have doubts he'd beat Soulja Boy in a battle let alone Royce or Joe Budden.

dope4goldrope said:
You can't be serious. Canibus has continuously been one of the most over-rated rappers ever. To anyone who is mildly scientifically literate his music is just random gibberish being yelled into your ear until you tap out.

Canibus is definitely one of the worst rappers ever. I have doubts he'd beat Soulja Boy in a battle let alone Royce or Joe Budden.

You dont know hip hop dude

Bis has gave us some of the illest verses ever!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seeing hardcore Canibus hate is the weirdest thing ever. I didn't know Canibus actually had any haters on this level.

EDIT:

291388713.jpg

TheOddOne

enzo_gt said:
Let me tell you bout this country shit, country country shit

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
TheOddOne said:
I like that song. =(

dskillzhtown

TheOddOne said:

That video is going to blow up. Damn Bun needs to hit the gym or atleast mix in a salad.

TheOddOne

Complex Shadow said:
I like that song. =(
Ehh, the world will get the cleaned up version.

Let me tell you bout this country ish, country country ish

I we all know its a sham compared to the orginal.

Double D

I always liked Canibus. That being said, my favorite album he's done was Rip the Jacker, which I consider a Stoupe album featuring Canibus.

Detox

Fuck the Em & Royce, Jay & Ye, Weezy & Drizzy EP. The real collabo is dropping on the 31st of this month:

Front-RoyaltyCheck.jpg

Mixtape GAF how did you guys not mention this at all?

Code:
1. STANDING ON THE EDGE
2. THAT GARYCOLEMAN.
3. OG
4. THAT REAL RAP SHIT.
5. SPEAKERS IN THE PARK.
6. KEEP ON.
7. MAN UP.
8. DOIN MY GANGTA.
9. TEKNICKLE.
10. TIMELESS.
11. VIRAL
12. CHANGE
13. EYEBLEAVENWHUTTADO
14. HISTORY.

Tokubetsu

Vik_Vaughn said:
I always liked Canibus. That being said, my favorite album he's done was Rip the Jacker, which I consider a Stoupe album featuring Canibus.

Yea, I still enjoy Poet Laurette II and No Return if I throw them on. Especially No Return.

kobashi100 said:
You dont know hip hop dude

Bis has gave us some of the illest verses ever!

wut.

Also, as far as Poet Laureate II, that one is filled with his trademark "throw random science-related words into a rap" technique.

dskillzhtown

Jay Sosa said:
Seems to happen to every Houston Rapper, look at Ro. Must be all the fried shit and Syrup.

Slim Thugga is about the only one who doesn't get Biggie Sized. I know the food is good down here, but damn. Scarface is the one who started that trend.

Budden is dropping a track called spring training tonight. This isnt the response to the bis track. The track is supposed to have budden going at bis but this was done weeks ago and is on MM 4.5

This I expect will be the track that will get Canibus penning a full blown diss track to budden in response.

dope4goldrope said:
wut.

Also, as far as Poet Laureate II, that one is filled with his trademark "throw random science-related words into a rap" technique.

Here is a tip for you. Canibus outshines every other rapper on these tracks. Every Verse pure fire!!

Check Beast From the East.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrqxyhSzh-8

Fantastic Four

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Eb53zz7eM

Desperados

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSCFZJgmSQ

kamspy

After Can I Bus and 2000BC I had to stop buying dudes records. Dunno if he made anything good after that. Canibus needs to take a shot at the leather hats. That's the glowing orange weak spot in Royce's frame.

EDIT: Props to Adrian Brody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom