• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:
I'm going to have to check out that Jazz thread...

Apparently Chip Tha Ripper is in the studio with Prodigy. Interior Crocodile Shook Ones.

Chip is an incredibly boring rapper.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Interior cloth seats and cheap plastic
I drive a geo metro with a blown gasket

We do a lot of top 10 lists in here but have we done a top producers list? That pete rock article has inspired me

1. Ant : did you really think i'd list anyone else? Guy is an unparalleled genius

2. DJ Quik : Nobody does the west coast sound better. He doesn't just throw together a good beat, he perfects it, focuses on the little details to make it stand out. All Eyez on Me owes it's production success to three men; Daz, Johnny J, and DJ Quik. Daz and J made the beats, but Quik fine tuned and tweaked them into the brilliance they become.

3. Pete Rock : Pete Rock is the ying to Premier's yang. He has the most insanely solid catalog, perhaps of all time. He defines that classic golden era of the early to mid 90's of hip hop, without him that whole era would never have been.

4. Premier : his consistency has waned over the years, but to me Premo is the king of that heavy New York sound. You can always tell a premo beat the minute it comes on.

5. Dr.Dre : regardless of his missteps recently, he has still made a long list of beats that nobody else on earth can touch. His ear for talent and the way sounds comes together is unparalleled.

6. Dilla : He proves the old saying "less is more". His brilliance lies in how he could make a seemingly simple beat sound so damn good. Often times just a simple drum loop, bassline, and a little extra thrown in here and there. The kind of thing you'd think would take 5 minutes to throw together...and yet it sounded amazing.

7. Prince Paul : The legend that gets overlooked. He produced so many classic albums. De La Soul wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful or remarkable without his incredible production that took sampling to entirely new heights. Whether it's Stetsasonic, Gravediggaz, Handsome boy modeling school, or his countless remixes, you've heard this man's work and loved it.

8. Havoc : For a time, Havoc was the best new york producer in the game. Infamous and Hell on Earth are production masterpieces.

9. Bomb Squad : From Ice Cube to Public Enemy to Slick Rick to fucking 3rd Bass. The late 80's belonged to the Bomb Squad. They left a huge footprint on hip hop, being the defining sound of that era.

10. Timbaland : I don't care about anything he's done in the last few years. As far as I'm concerned he fell the fuuuuuuck off so hard he left a crater in the ground. But from about 96 to about 2004 he was putting out fantastic and unique production that nobody else had done before.

11.Organized Noise : Outkast and Goodie Mob's success is just as much a result of the incredible and refreshing production from ON as it is the rapper's talent.

12. RJD2 : I really wish he would work with more artists. His solo instrumental albums are mindblowing and inspire me to produce better. If you haven't heard this guy, you owe it to yourself to listen to his stuff.

13. Kno : I don't have to really explain this, HHgaf has a hard on for this guy, and it's well deserved. As much as I am somewhat underwhelmed by his ability as a rapper, he more than makes up for it with his incredibly production. If he keeps it up, he'll be top 10 within a few years.

14. Aesop Rock and Blockhead : I put these guys together because they might as well be a production team. Their incredible talent for production is often overlooked next to Aesop's unique delivery and presence. None Shall Pass (the song) has some of my favorite production of all time. Make sure to listen to Blockhead's solo albums (The Music Scene is his latests, released in 09).

15. Sir Jinx : Death Certificate. Thats all I should have to say. No? How about Kill at will, predator, lethal injection, and AMW? How about Xzibit's underrated near classic 40 dayz and 40 nightz? Or WC's debut album? It's a shame he keeps dropping out of sight for years at a time, but word is he is helping with Detox...but that may have been before Dre had a breakdown and switched gears.

Honorable mentions : Kanye, Alchemist, Muggz, RZA, Neptunes, Marly Marl, Easy Moe Bee, Ant Banks and many more.

PBY

Banned
Great list Siddx, you got most of them covered, but I'll throw two names out there:
Scott fucking Storch. Yeah I know, but he can make a club banger.

Statik Selektah- prob my favorite producer right now. 100 proof is amazing.

Also, Kanye and Alchemist would def not be honorable mentions for me, those guys are god-tier imho

edit 2: also, No ID

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What are Ant's best tracks?

I have to to listen to much Atmosphere, but the bit I have wasn't compelling me.

K.Jack said:
What are Ant's best tracks?

I have to to listen to much Atmosphere, but the bit I have wasn't compelling me.

Just listen to When Life Gives You Lemons

if you didnt like that Atmosphere wont do anything for you most likely

Nabs

Give me "Rain Water" and I'm good.

If you're interested in Ant and don't like Atmos, check Brother Ali's Shadows, Champion EP, and The Undisputed Truth.

...How Much Fun... has great beats too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can't disagree with that list, that's for sure.

I would throw Just Blaze + everyone peterb0y mentioned on that list as well. Maybe even Tip.

CRS

siddx said:
http://illegal-art.net/allday/

^Link to the entire album
The craig mack/gza mash up is about halfway through the second track

The Ice cream paint job/Strawberry Letter 23, Ante Up/Miley Cyrus, Skee lo/T'Pau, ODB/Radiohead mash ups are brilliant too.

edit: beaten like a dick
Oh man, Strawberry Letter 23.

Shuggie Otis kick incoming in 3... 2... 1...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nabs said:
Give me "Rain Water" and I'm good.

If you're interested in Ant and don't like Atmos, check Brother Ali's Shadows, Champion EP, and The Undisputed Truth.

...How Much Fun... has great beats too.
This seems to have been my issue. I'm checked Rhapsody, and am now listening to Ali's Shadows On The Sun. It's much more my type of music.

The beats are pretty nice.

siddx

siddx

Ant Banks would be in my top 20. And if I happened to be listening to a lot of his stuff, he might even make it into the top 15. He has some of the greatest west coast beats ever made, but he also has a lot of boring shit too unfortunately.

kamspy

siddx said:
Ant Banks would be in my top 20. And if I happened to be listening to a lot of his stuff, he might even make it into the top 15. He has some of the greatest west coast beats ever made, but he also has a lot of boring shit too unfortunately.

I think anyone with 300+ beats in rotation is going to have some boring stuff. Dude is the model of consistency and helped pioneer the smooth hip hop sound.

Ain't Nothin' Like Pimpin ** Money in the Ghetto

And where is the DJ Pooh, Battlecat and Easy Mo Bee love?

siddx

I put Easy Moe Bee in my honorable mentions, Pooh and Battlecat both would have been there if I didn't realize a few names in that I would be naming producers all day so I just put "and many more" instead.

kamspy

siddx said:
I put Easy Moe Bee in my honorable mentions, Pooh and Battlecat both would have been there if I didn't realize a few names in that I would be naming producers all day so I just put "and many more" instead.

Yeah, I started a post after seeing yours and just said fuck it. Too many.

Everyone needs to listen to Shorty The Pimp tonight. Best thing I ever did was put that CD on tonight.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Daz is in my top 5 for sure. His remix album showd his range. He was doing dance remixes, r&b, and rap. Not sure why he escapes the spotlight.

Easy Moe Bee did some classic, classic, classic tracks. No idea WTF he is doing now though.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:

This is why you're my favorite hater. "Bird Sings Why the Caged I know" is up there for me too. I'd love to see Ant go back to sampling again at least for one more album. Maybe a free one if they can't clear shit.

siddx

I really really wanted to put Daz on my list. But for every spurt of brilliance, he releases twice as many generic beats that either all sound alike, or are just terrible. All those solo albums after Revenge Retaliation and Get Back really hurt his overall catalog.
So So Gangsta was alright though.

edit:
Bird Sings was one of those songs that for the longest time I skipped, and then one day it just clicked with me and became one of my favorites on that album.

dskillzhtown

siddx said:
I really really wanted to put Daz on my list. But for every spurt of brilliance, he releases twice as many generic beats that either all sound alike, or are just terrible. All those solo albums after Revenge Retaliation and Get Back really hurt his overall catalog.
So So Gangsta was alright though.

edit:
Bird Sings was one of those songs that for the longest time I skipped, and then one day it just clicked with me and became one of my favorites on that album.

I think Daz is a victim of releasing too much material. Not sure if it is because he needs the money or what. I totally agree that he has done some generic shit. I will add that he is guaranteed to do some tracks based on whatever the trend is or whatever is hot in the charts. That is when he fails the most. But for me, when he is "on", he is truly on.

Revenge Retaliation and Get Back was so damned good. I am going to have to listen to that again. Thanks for the reminder.

edit - Gotta listen to Kurupt's Space Boogie: Smoke Oddessey too

siddx

dskillzhtown said:
I think Daz is a victim of releasing too much material. Not sure if it is because he needs the money or what. I totally agree that he has done some generic shit. I will add that he is guaranteed to do some tracks based on whatever the trend is or whatever is hot in the charts. That is when he fails the most. But for me, when he is "on", he is truly on.

Revenge Retaliation and Get Back was so damned good. I am going to have to listen to that again. Thanks for the reminder.

edit - Gotta listen to Kurupt's Space Boogie: Smoke Oddessey too

Smoke Oddessey was great, I wasn't expecting much because of "It's Over" (what the fuck Kurupt...) but I ended up really liking it. And RR&G was also a surprise. I figured Death Row was dead and nothing was going to come out of it worth getting but I got the album on a whim and ended up being really impressed.

siddx

Speaking of Kurupt, did anyone get Streetlights last year? How was it?

dskillzhtown

siddx said:
Speaking of Kurupt, did anyone get Streetlights last year? How was it?

I need to get it myself and take a listen. Another Crown Royal Black and Coke will get me buying it off Amazon soon.

kamspy said:
Uh....what?
K'naan

wavin-flag-knaan.jpg

Tried to holla at my wife on Fb lol.

Dude has a thing for Aussie Muslimahs.. weird as. I know like 3 Somali sisters that he would chat up on MSN before he got big. Then randomly last night he messages my wife on fb talking smooth :S

kamspy

OttomanScribe said:
Scam in Aus means 'hit on' or 'express interest in'. At least where I'm from. What does it mean where you're from?

Trying to steal money through fraud.

However, in the states you could say something like "schemed on my wife" and it would make sense.

kamspy said:
Trying to steal money through fraud.

However, in the states you could say something like "schemed on my wife" and it would make sense.
Lmao. Yeah it means that too.

Damn, dude would have to be pretty broke to try and steal money from my wife.

I think Alchemist is a good producer. I usually have no problem with what ever he produces.

I don't think he was mentioned in any lists yet.

1st Alchemist track I've ever heard was Nas' Book of Rhymes. It's one of my favorite Nas tracks actually.

PBY

Banned
spindashing said:
I think Alchemist is a good producer. I usually have no problem with what ever he produces.

1st Alchemist track I've ever heard was Nas' Book of Rhymes. It's one of my favorite Nas tracks actually.
I had Alch on my list, hes amazing. Also, I've heard people say "hes scamming on her" as if to mean creeping.

kamspy

spindashing said:

You're from Queens and heard ALC on Nas before Mobb Deep?!?!?!?!??!?!????

smh

kamspy said:

smh
Haha, I got into Nas before I started Mobb Deep.

Nas, Mobb Deep and Run-D.M.C. are the only Queens acts that I actually like.

siddx

kamspy said:

smh

I think a lot of people heard Alc back then and never realized it. I didn't know he worked with Mobb Deep until years later.

kamspy

I was a linear notes geek. Every time I bought a tape or CD first thing I did was digest the entire "book". That's what sucks about digital downloads. No books. :(

What about Cormega spin? Do you hate Mega? What about NORE?

siddx

kamspy said:
I was a linear notes geek. Every time I bought a tape or CD first thing I did was digest the entire "book". That's what sucks about digital downloads. No books. :(

What about Cormega spin? Do you hate Mega?

I did too, but I was looking for names I recognized. If it was someone I didn't know, I ignored it. To this day I still find out about people working on albums and go "holy shit really?"
Like Bomb Squad working on The Great Adventures of Slick Rick. I had no idea until recently.

Everybody hates NORE. He pronounces pollo as polo.

kamspy said:

What about Cormega spin? Do you hate Mega? What about NORE?
Cormega is ok. I prefer AZ. NORE, I haven't listened to as much so I can't really say.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
You don't have a penis.
I see some implications in this post that you may actually like NORE. Which begs me to ask.. ..is there actually anyone that likes NORE? Another really, really boring rapper. Literally "just another rapper."

enzo_gt said:
I see some implications in this post that you may actually like NORE. Which begs me to ask.. ..is there actually anyone that likes NORE? Another really, really boring rapper. Literally "just another rapper."

Anybody that says "Julio Iglesias" in their rhymes, is okay in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom