• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME Brighton post Shovel Knight amiibo - November 27th [Up: 4U2Play as well]

Dr. Buni

Am I the only one that thinks the real news here is how a small kickstarter project by a relatively unknown team (correct me if I'm wrong about that) has in an amazingly short time become an industry darling big enough to justify producing an amiibo? (which as far as I know is something reserved by Nintendo almost exclusively to their own characters?)
It is amazing. I don't like amiibos, but I am still happy for Yacht Club Games. Regardless of Shovel Knight being or not in Smash, this is still huge.

JoeM86

No saying he's going to be in smash, but it's possible that the individual series Amiibo for SK was made as a way for YCG to retain 100% ownership of the Amiibo.

Would also explain why the amiibo logo is next to an "Official Licensed Nintendo Product" logo rather than the Nintendo logo too, but I don't believe it would be in Smash at all.

Escalario

Banned
So sony and ms versions of sk get additional content for free, while Nintendo fans who are the ones that bought the game the most get fucked over with no additional free content at all, game being several patches behind other versions, and now Nintendo has to make a shittyass amiibos for those devs. Disgusting. And some people are celebrating it.

Jawmuncher

So sony and ms versions of sk get additional content for free, while Nintendo fans who are the ones that bought the game the most get fucked over with no additional free content at all, game being several patches behind other versions, and now Nintendo has to make a shittyass amiibos for those devs. Disgusting. And some people are celebrating it.

Has there been updated numbers on that yet? I'm sure it's changed by now.

JoeM86

There's an awful lot of assumptions in your post

Erwecke deinen amiibo in Shovel Knight für die Wii U und den Nintendo 3DS zum Leben!
Coop Multiplayer (Exklusiv Wii U):

Betritt das Spiel eines Freundes und schaufelt gemeinsam!
Spezielle Coop-Moves unterstützen euch auf der gemeinsamen Reise.

Google Translate
Awaken your amiibo in Shovel Knight for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS to life!
Coop Multiplayer ( Exclusive Wii U ) :

Enter the game a friend and paddling together!
Special co-op moves to support you on the journey together .
Co-op Shovel Knight? Wii U exclusive? That IS Megaton.

mclem

Yacht Club is not going to make their own toys. Nintendo wants to sell more toys. This seems pretty straightforward.

NcIW8v1.jpg

cyba89

Let's just wait a bit for some official details on this, okay?

Kyou

Nintendo fans got the game early, and each version has exclusive content.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Santar

A bit weird seeing as Shovel Knight is on basically every platform.
Kinda boring pose they got on him too, he's just randomly holding his shovel like that.
Something like this would've been better:

Sadist

Hmmmm

Interesting though. I'm wondering if Nintendo will try to lure in third parties (big or small) with amiibo deals.

Shauni

Do you have a source for what this content is, or that the free content for MS and Sony platforms matches whatever this amiibo will unlock?

Toxi

Banned
Kinda boring pose they got on him too, he's just randomly holding his shovel like that.
Boring pose means no piss stand.

Sealtest

That means... the idea of Shantae getting an amiibo if she ever becomes a fighter might be true! An actual shantae figure would be great.

Anth0ny

Am I the only one that thinks the real news here is how a small kickstarter project by a relatively unknown team (correct me if I'm wrong about that) has in an amazingly short time become an industry darling big enough to justify producing an amiibo? (which as far as I know is something reserved by Nintendo almost exclusively to their own characters?)

definitely one of the few truly great success stories of kickstarter

99% of games on there seem to be full of drama, controversy, shadiness, delays, disappointment... but then, in that 1%, you get shovel knight :D

with a pose like that you'd get pee stands:

picturesfinalamiibo_1ojpwm.jpg

clearly they wanted to go with a pose that was more amiibo friendly

Zubz

Banned
I sincerely hope that the Amiibo-locked content here isn't the Wii U/3DS alternative to the Kratos/Battletoads boss fights. I mean, I want to get this either way, but I have a feeling that Shovel Knight'll be Ness-tier rare. Even if I was okay with large content being locked behind toys (Costumes like in Woolly World are fine; characters like in STEAM aren't), there'd be almost no way to access that content if this ends up being a rare.

That said, I'm incredibly excited for this, and am very happy for YCG!

Frofro

Banned
Would also explain why the amiibo logo is next to an "Official Licensed Nintendo Product" logo rather than the Nintendo logo too, but I don't believe it would be in Smash at all.

Not even the other third party amiibos in Smash have this. Great catch Serebii!

JoeM86

Why is there so much passive aggressiveness about this? It's a cool Amiibo,

People seem to have the erroneous notion that amiibo means they lock content for it. Aside from Splatoon, all content obtained via amiibo likely wouldn't have existed without the amiibo and was created for that.

georly

Everyone saying this deconfirms him for smash because it's not a 'smash bros amiibo'...

I'm pretty sure 5 of these guys work on smash bros too, yet they're not smash bros amiibo:

article_post_width_Super_Mario_Bros_amiibo.jpg

This could just be his 'amiibo for shovel knight' and maybe he'll get a smash bros version, or maybe meh.

Either way, this doesn't deconfirm him. I still think it's highly unlikely he's in smash, but this is not evidence of his deconfirmation in any way.

ChrisD

Please be real. You can't show up on two stores, get my hype up, and not be real. That'd be too cruel.

In for one if real.

Zalman

The biggest news here is that NCL took notice of an indie game. An indie game that isn't even released in Japan. I'd say it's very likely they're publishing the game over there if this is real.

69wpm

Other retailers posted similar images and listings

http://www.4u2play.de/trendartikel/amiibo/zubehoer/amiibo-shovel-knight/425662

Not sure when they added, though.

Some translations:

Awake your amiibo in Shovel Knight for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS to life!

Coop Multiplayer (Wii U exclusive)

• Enter a friends’ game and shovel together!
  • Special Coop-Moves support you on your journey together.

Full flexibility:

• Enter the level where you destroy your enemies and find precious treasures (sth. is off about this sentence)
  • Earn never seen relicts, skills and powers.
  • Alter the appearance of your Shovel Knight with cool cosmetic details.

User your personal amiibo seamless on Wii U and 3DS.

• The Shovel Knight amiibo will work with all Nintendo Products that Yacht Club Games will create in the near future.
  • Compatible with Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS and Wii U.

Santar

He still would have a piss stand, it's not a stable pose, the head of the shovel is helping the support the weight in this design.

You could make some adjustments to make it more stable.
Either way, my point was that they could've made his pose a a bit less bland, he's just standing there holding his shovel straight out in the air. If they just lowered his shovel a bit and had his right foot on it that would be better.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Everyone saying this deconfirms him for smash because it's not a 'smash bros amiibo'...

I'm pretty sure 5 of these guys work on smash bros too, yet they're not smash bros amiibo:

This could just be his 'amiibo for shovel knight' and maybe he'll get a smash bros version, or maybe meh.

Either way, this doesn't deconfirm him. I still think it's highly unlikely he's in smash, but this is not evidence of his deconfirmation in any way.

They're saying it deconfirms this rumour because it was someone plotting a bunch of points and jumping to conclusion when all the source knew was an Amiibo was coming. If SK is coming to Smash, it wouldn't be part of this rumour.

Also, you can't really compare this to the MARIO series of Amiibos.

Murugo

It makes sense to pose the amiibo with the shovel perpendicular to the ground considering the shovel's weight and size, not to mention the dimensions of the figure itself.

This also has great potential for customs, e.g. the different colored armors you can buy in the game.

Jawmuncher

Kind of pulling man, considering all of those but toad had a Smash release before that line.
As I said doesn't prevent him from being in smash but it's not doing any favors either. At this point it's more likely he's a mii costume.

So cozy that their game has been released for so many platforms that you can be pretty sure that one day it'll be available to download to your Texas Instruments calculator from 1984.

Let's not forget that Shovel Knight made it's console debut on Nintendo consoles, and stayed there for a year until it was released on the other systems.

Why shouldn't Shovel Knight be in Smash exactly?

He has more than enough abilities to be a fully-fledged fighter.

Whether he will be is up in the air, but just imagine what something like that could do for an indie like Yacht Club.

Top Bottom