• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME Brighton post Shovel Knight amiibo - November 27th [Up: 4U2Play as well]

Co-op Shovel Knight sounds delicious...

Co-op Shovel Knight exclusive to Nintendo and locked behind an amiibo puts a sour taste in my mouth. I've already bought SK twice. I want the amiibo just to have it, but don't want to buy the game a 3rd time for something as big as co-op.

Draxal

Why shouldn't Shovel Knight be in Smash exactly?

He has more than enough abilities to be a fully-fledged fighter.

Whether he will be is up in the air, but just imagine what something like that could do for an indie like Yacht Club.

Because there's a long list of characters that fans want in instead (from Nintendo Owned Ips)?

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
Why shouldn't Shovel Knight be in Smash exactly?

He has more than enough abilities to be a fully-fledged fighter.

Whether he will be is up in the air, but just imagine what something like that could do for an indie like Yacht Club.
No one's talking about whether or not he "should" be.

We just know he's not, because the packaging of this amiibo is inconsistent with how the Smash series of amiibo are packaged in Europe.

georly

Kind of pulling man, considering all of those but toad had a Smash release before that line.
As I said doesn't prevent him from being in smash but it's not doing any favors either. At this point it's more likely he's a mii costume.

That is literally all I'm saying. This doesn't prevent him from being in smash. Doesn't deconfirm him. In fact, the unseen 64 rumor simply states that shovel knight's rumored amiibo only lends credence to the rumor, but that is not the source of the rumor.

Ladekabel

If amiibo of indie-game characters will be athing I want my Super Meat Boy amiibo
even if the game isn't on Nintendo platforms...

Because there's a long list of characters that fans want in instead (from Nintendo Owned Ips)?

There was also a Smash ballot where fans voted on what characters they wanted to see, and you can be damn sure that they wouldn't have bothered if he wasn't one of the most requested.

People need to stop getting pissed off at every new character because it isn't their shitty alligator or Ridley.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There was also a Smash ballot where fans voted on what characters they wanted to see, and you can be damn sure that they wouldn't have bothered if he wasn't one of the most requested.

People need to stop getting pissed off at every new character because it isn't their shitty alligator or Ridley.

So much truth here!

A costume in Kart is possible if they were to give us a new batch, but Splatoon is super unlikely since no other Amiibo is supported by it outside the Splaoon ones.

But where else could Shovel Knight Amiibo work besides Smash and Mario Kart? Captain Toad?

AdanVC

Y'all ruining Smash surprises as usual. If this was announced officially without leaks, it would have been an awesome surprise. Now it's gonna be meh when they announce it for reals :(

Edit: Agh I thought I posted this on the Shovel Knight in Smash rumor thread but oh well it's the same thing here :C

Draxal

I'm not pissed, I just don't think he's getting in (and I voted for Goku in a poll ... that closes in October ....)

JoeM86

Since the Amiibo is produced by Yacht themselves, I kind of wonder if it just won't work with pretty much any game, not even the ones that accept any Amiibo.
Na then they wouldn't be able to call it amiibo and they could have just done it as a nfc figure like Level 5 are doing with their next game

-GJ-

Dutch webshop YourGameZone (one of the biggest game webshops in Holland) has had this up for a couple days with the November 27th releasedate as well. Different picture, but the releasedate is the same. It's €19,99 on their website.

NotLiquid

SaTOfHm.png

Gotta love that classic misdirection lmao

Battlechili

Banned
I really hope this doesn't mean he'll be in Smash. Of all the indie characters, why Shovel Knight? Quote from Cave Story would've been so much cooler and more fitting.

Dutch webshop YourGameZone (one of the biggest game webshops in Holland) has had this up for a couple days with the November 27th releasedate as well. Different picture, but the releasedate is the same. It's €19,99 on their website.

What's the picture look like

Nvm, found it. Using the Omni art fake mock up.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
SaTOfHm.png

Gotta love that classic misdirection lmao

"Nope. Nopenopenopenopenope. No one's behind the curtains. I swear, I swe-No one, get it? Now, did you see that other thing that happened today, uh? That's so cool!"

...But seriously, they can't talk about it yet if it's real (as it's starting to look like).

Regiruler

Maybe this could be why everyone's trying to tiptoe around some of the amiibo in Mario Maker. The sprites aren't a big deal, but if their trying to hide an amiibo's existence...

Maybe this could be why everyone's trying to tiptoe around some of the amiibo in Mario Maker. The sprites aren't a big deal, but if their trying to hide an amiibo's existence...
Maybe, but that would make the way gamexplain has reacted weirder given they have a review copy of Mario maker

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This amiibo will be mine.

Can't wait to see how Shovel Knight will support them on Wii U/3DS.

Percy

Banned
That looks pretty sweet. Was secretly hoping for a more 8-bit style design like the Mario Maker amiibo though.

Might pick this one up if it's likely to be hard to get after a while.

Well, well, look at Yachtclub getting a hang in the industry. A certain veteran within a company called Comcept would have made two new suspicious kickstarters for something like this, lol.

gerudoman

If it's launched under its own line I think it's pretty safe to assume the Smash rumour is debunked. I mean, all fighters have an amiibo for the Smash series, and I can't see Nintendo making an exception or launching two Shovel Knight amiibos.

Some Guy

I know it's just a mockup box, but...

shovel_knight.png

The Shovel Knight amiibo has a "Nintendo Seal of Quality" logo, rather than an actual Nintendo logo. It also has the Yacht Club Games logo on it.

To me, this implies that it's actually a third party product (like the Skylander Amiibos), rather than Nintendo themselves licensing the rights to create a figure of a 3rd party character (like Sonic or Mega Man).

It'd be really interesting if Nintendo was opening up the amiibo format to allow third parties to license the tech and publish their own figures. (Presumably while adhering to some set of manufacturing standards.)

Vena

The Shovel Knight amiibo has a "Nintendo Seal of Quality" logo, rather than an actual Nintendo logo. It also has the Yacht Club Games logo on it.

To me, this implies that it's actually a third party product (like the Skylander Amiibos), rather than Nintendo themselves licensing the rights to create a figure of a 3rd party character (like Sonic or Mega Man).

It'd be really interesting if Nintendo was opening up the amiibo format to allow third parties to license the tech and publish their own figures. (Presumably while adhering to some set of manufacturing standards.)

I'd imagine Nintendo is still going to be the one producing it since they have the production line already made and active as well as the chip needed for the functionality. But, rather than making Amiibo for their own IP, they've "licensed" in a very loose sense of the word, the Shovel Knight IP from Yacht Club to make the Amiibo for Yacht Club who will then sell the Amiibo as Yacht Club for Nintendo console use.

Some Guy

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Like in the cartridge days, where 3rd party games still had to use Nintendo's cartridge manufacturing pipeline!

Jumpman23

shovel_knight.png

That would open up all types of possibilities for third parties. I would definitely like to see this going forward.

shovel_knight.png

First thing I noticed was that his pose doesn't match the pose on the backing. Makes me thing it's a third party thing too

MisterHero

I really really love the idea of 3rd party amiibos. Perhaps attaching them to actual 3rd party games would give them a decent bump in sales

will collect next to sonic, pac-man, megaman, and ryu (pleeeeeeeeaaaase)

Top Bottom