• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME Brighton post Shovel Knight amiibo - November 27th [Up: 4U2Play as well]

KingBroly

Banned
JLhrMyK.png

Tamaki's sources still adamant on the Smash rumor

Doubling down.

Revven

JLhrMyK.png

Shovel Knight DLC is vague enough to mean Mii Costume. And it isn't outside the realm of possibility when we've had other franchises represented via Mii Costumes (though they were Bamco franchises, you get the idea).

I wouldn't hold my breath just on the vague notion of "Shovel Knight DLC" from an unknown source (unknown to us, I mean).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't see why this wouldn't be real.

Yacht Club is not going to make their own toys. Nintendo wants to sell more toys. This seems pretty straightforward.

JoeM86

If Shovel Knight was going to be in Smash, then we'd have got a Smash Series amiibo for it and they'd use that with their games.

It doesn't make much sense for an individual one for a character like this if it's going to be in Smash

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
JLhrMyK.png

This is going to get pretty interesting, then. I'd be enthusiastic if Shovel Knight gets in Smash, honestly. Shovel Knight not in Smash would be negative for Tamaki's reputation of reliable enough insider/someone with reliable enough insider sources.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kinda nuts that he will get his Amiibo considering the game is multiplattform indie title.

Respect.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If Shovel Knight was going to be in Smash, then we'd have got a Smash Series amiibo for it and they'd use that with their games.

It doesn't make much sense for an individual one for a character like this if it's going to be in Smash
@Doctor_Cupcakes

Rumour source says that the image of the Shovel Knight amiibo (which I saw before that Twitter posted it FYI) is "not final".

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Am I the only one that thinks the real news here is how a small kickstarter project by a relatively unknown team (correct me if I'm wrong about that) has in an amazingly short time become an industry darling big enough to justify producing an amiibo? (which as far as I know is something reserved by Nintendo almost exclusively to their own characters?)

Kouichi

Not surprised. I'm hoping this means other amiibo will work with Shovel Knight as well. Like unlock Nintendo characters in the battle mode or something.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PAX nindie conf can't come soon enough

I don't even know if there will be a conference, but YCG said there would have been a streaming of Nindies@Night. I'm waiting for any info about that, and still think it's strange they didn't give any detail about it when they first announced the event.

Also, how many hours before it starts?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm literally playing it right now.

Okay, it's been out for two hours or whatever.

Seriously, though, don't you think it's tacky to try and force affection for characters by immediately slapping them onto character goods as if that automagically makes them exciting and desirable?

LAA

This makes it seem Shovel Knight won't be coming to SSB as the box isnt SSB themed. Perhaps it'll just unlock a SK costume in SSB though or something. Maybe even the character itself if they want to pull that off.

Kriken

What would a Shovel Knight Amiibo even do? Work for Shovel knight WiiU/3DS for some sort of exclusive content similar to kratos/Battletoads? But that hypothetical would be real shitty as they got that content for free

Revven

Possible the amiibo would unlock the costume for free.

This is exactly what I am thinking. It would work like the Mii Costumes for Mario Kart 8.

Shovel Knight DLC is vague enough for Mii Costume for Smash. People shouldn't be jumping to Character DLC immediately.

What would a Shovel Knight Amiibo even do? Work for Shovel knight WiiU/3DS for some sort of exclusive content similar to kratos/Battletoads? But that hypothetical would be real shitty as they got that content for free

Also a lot of people who own Shovel Knight have a regular 3DS, which can't read it. They'd need to buy an adapter.

Toxi

Banned
Could this mean that Shovel Knight is in a (hilarious) position to get two separate amiibos?
Shovel Knight Amiibo wave

First wave is Shovel Knight, Shield Knight, Black Knight, and King Knight.

Second wave is Plague Knight, Mona, the Enchantress, and Specter Knight.

Exclusive Ornate Plate Shovel Knight.

Cappa

Banned
I don't see why this wouldn't be real.

Yacht Club is not going to make their own toys. Nintendo wants to sell more toys. This seems pretty straightforward.

Yacht Club games denied on their official twitter account that any amiibo was in the works so who knows(or at least said they had no knowledge of it).

Jawmuncher

Yeah I won't deny that Shovel Knight in smash could happen. Even though the tweet is vague to cover some ass. Smash DLC could just be a mii fighter costume which is still a big deal for a indie game. Which because of the packaging is what i'm leaning on. But I will say trying to apply "rule" to nintendo or smash usually doesn't pan out, so anything could still happen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kinda nuts that he will get his Amiibo considering the game is multiplattform indie title.

Respect.

I feel Nintendo has become a pretty standard publisher over the last couple of years, and this is the type of thing that should be expected going forward.

-They sell lots of DLC, including DLC that adds up to more than the base cost of the game.
-They sell season passes.
-They have individual vanity costume DLC.
-They're working on free 2 play games with microtransactions.
-They sell toy figures that unlock in game content.
-They sell service model games which launch with relatively light content and have more added in over time.
-They're working on mobile games.
-They're participated in a Humble Bundle.
-They're heavily licensing out their IPs again for everything from toys to films to theme parks.
-They're making Skylanders Amiibos that are both Skylanders toys and Amiibos.

Making a toy with an indie studio they've partnered with, even if the game is multiplatform, is a pretty straightforward evolution. It's like how other console vendors work to have exclusives in various indie and retail games.

Am I the only one that thinks the real news here is how a small kickstarter project by a relatively unknown team (correct me if I'm wrong about that) has in an amazingly short time become an industry darling big enough to justify producing an amiibo? (which as far as I know is something reserved by Nintendo almost exclusively to their own characters?)

Nope. It's really kind of a breakthrough for indies in general if it turns out to be true.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel Nintendo has become a pretty standard publisher over the last couple of years, and this is the type of thing that should be expected going forward.

-They sell lots of DLC, including DLC that adds up to more than the base cost of the game.
-They sell season passes.
-They have individual vanity costume DLC.
-They're working on free 2 play games with microtransactions.
-They sell toy figures that unlock in game content.
-They sell service model games which launch with relatively light content and have more added in over time.
-They're working on mobile games.
-They're participated in a Humble Bundle.
-They're heavily licensing out their IPs again for everything from toys to films to theme parks.
-They're making Skylanders Amiibos that are both Skylanders toys and Amiibos.

Making a toy with an indie studio they've partnered with, even if the game is multiplatform, is a pretty straightforward evolution. It's like how other console vendors work to have exclusives in various indie and retail games.

I'm also guessing that Nintendo is publishing Shovel Knight in Japan.

Gravidee

If this is real then it's probably the first true third party character amiibo we've got so far (Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man aside). They should do Shantae next.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
there was a "pay what you want" for Nintendo games? or just Nintendo published eshop games not made by Nintendo?

The Humble Nindie Bundle, but we still have not had anything like that on PSN or Xbox Live to my knowledge.

I still consider that as trying to be a more open, modern publisher though, given we've seen EA, THQ, Sega, Deep Silver, Square Enix, and Bandai Namco all have Humble Bundles.

Frofro

Banned

Exactly, why would SK get two amiibos before Sonic, Megaman or Pacman?

PSqueak

Banned

Respect.

I guess nintendo really is pushing for them to have the best version.

Since PS & XBOX launched with hidden character boss battles, nintendo needed something to up the ante again, so amiibo support + possible new boss battle + digger diaries that already was there, they really want to keep SK close to their platforms.

No saying he's going to be in smash, but it's possible that the individual series Amiibo for SK was made as a way for YCG to retain 100% ownership of the Amiibo.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The Humble Nindie Bundle, but we still have not had anything like that on PSN or Xbox Live to my knowledge.

I still consider that as trying to be a more open, modern publisher though, given we've seen EA, THQ, Sega, Deep Silver, Square Enix, and Bandai Namco all have Humble Bundles.

Completely agree about being more open and modern. If you would've showed me that list two or three years ago I would have been positively shocked. But I was surprised by the indie bundle most of all, hence it was the one I singled out.

Top Bottom