• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - SDCC Panel Report - Actual Lancer Special Edition

hard to understand, linked achievements only for the SE?
Oh never mind, reading over the report, op you make it sound it's only with the SE :/

There's a 130 dollar bundle of Gears 2 that will include an actual Lancer. No, it's not a functioning gun. Note: The information about the bundle -- including pricing and what it will include -- is unconfirmed by Microsoft and is subject to change.

Kydd BlaZe

Hmmm. Pretty good read. I am sooo interested in this new bundle w/ the lancer. I didn't bite on the Halo 3 legendary edition, but I just might go for this Gears 2 edition.

Just to reiterate the level of megaton we're dealing with here in terms of the Dizzy factor.

THIS

rt0uop.jpg

is Peter Jason, voice of Dizzy.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BenjaminBirdie said:
Is this new stuff? Or the other Gears thread stuff? Have they announced any new linked achievements yet?!?

:D

(Excited.)

I think it's new? I ran a search but I didn't see the other Gears thread (is there a main one we should be using, btw)? The lancer edition is definitely new.

luxarific said:
I think it's new? I ran a search but I didn't see the other Gears thread (is there a main one we should be using, btw)? The lancer edition is definitely new.

I think it was the Horde Gears thread. But I can always use another excuse to post a Gears related picture of Con Stapleton, vocal star of the video game Gears Of War 2.

JimiNutz

Banned
Geeky I know but I'll be all over a Special Edition that features a Lancer. I buy quite a bit of Gears Merchandise and even coughed up for the limited edition Carmine action figure (I don't even like action figures :lol.) The thing I've wanted since day one though was a Lancer. Obviously I want a fully functioning rifle with a working chainsaw bayonet, but I'll settle for a replica if need be.

Hopefully the rumour ends up being true.

ToyMachine228 said:
An actual Lancer would be cool. More use than a fake Master Chief helmet.
:lol
More use? Are you going to try killing people with it or something?
Personally, I hope they make way too many of these like the Halo ones so I can get it 6 months later for less than the price of the regular game--I mean a full sized Lancer would be kinda cool, but not that expensive cool.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think it was the Horde Gears thread. But I can always use another excuse to post a Gears related picture of Con Stapleton, vocal star of the video game Gears Of War 2.

I'm so glad they invested in good voice actors for this thing. Gears is an example of just how important good VA is. The first game wouldn't have been as much fun as it was without them.

Diablohead said:
expect the gun to be 4:1 scale and have some nasty transparent stand.

I think people are picturing the one Clifford has in the pic of him holding one. And will most like be disappointed lol.

MaritalWheat said:
Personally, I hope they make way too many of these like the Halo ones so I can get it 6 months later for less than the price of the regular game--I mean a full sized Lancer would be kinda cool, but not that expensive cool.

No you can just walk around and hold it messing around with friends. Not like the Master Chief helmet which couldn't actually be put on, it can just sit on a shelf.

220px-Cliff_B.jpg

you guys are nuts if you think its going to come with an actual scale size lancer like the one Cliffy has in that pic. They could sell those things for more than $130 by themselves.

ToyMachine228 said:
No you can just walk around and hold it messing around with friends. Not like the Master Chief helmet which couldn't actually be put on, it can just sit on a shelf.

220px-Cliff_B.jpg
I'll buy if the Lancer is that size.

JimiNutz

Banned
The Lancer won't be that size. Reading the Epic games forums one poster claims to have seen the Lancer at Comic Con and says that it was large but not a 1:1 replica. If he is in fact telling the truth then expect the Lancer to be a decent size, but not as big as the one Cliff is holding in the pic.

It'd have to be quite an impressive Lancer for me to pick it up. With the glow lights and everything for the upgraded Lancer from Gears 2. Otherwise I'm not to interested in the package. If it looks anything like what Cliffy is holding, then I'm definitely not interested.

I will pick up the 70 dollar collectors addition though. Its quickly getting to the point where I need this game in my hands now. I think I'm actually loving Microsofts tactic of not showing games that aren't coming out that year, because I'm getting sick of anticipating games that are so far off.

Kibbles

I'm not falling for this again. They also said price is subject to change. They originally announced the Halo 3 LE for $100 and said it would include HD Cutscenes w/ optional commentary from all the Halo Games, when it came out we only got SD Cutscenes for Halo 1 and Halo 2. Also the helmet wasn't nearly as cool as I thought it would be. It's pretty cheap, for the money I think they could've built it better.

Also, the full-size TriForce Lancers are over $700. So either it's not full sized or it's going to be really cheap. Actually, probably both.

[edit] So Carmine isn't returning, it's his brother? Lame.

Kibbles said:
So Carmine isn't returning, it's his brother? Lame.
Yeah, this info already was posted in the Horde thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328810&page=2) but more people will probably actually see it here so no worries.

As for Carmine -- I say just about any other explanation (resurrection, clone, whatever) would have been lame (even if it made for a good avatar for lybertyboy).

BTW, as I already patted myself on the back in the Horde thread, I called this one :D (not that it should have been too difficult to guess or anything): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11171156&postcount=2663

Teknoman

"Linked Achievements" are nice. Kinda like what most japanese developed games do(give rewards for playing previous games in the series/ passing over date from a previous game). I hope more 360 based sequels (looking at you Mass Effect 2) do this. They should give a bonus for people who bought UT III 360 as well.

Also to speak from another topic:

StoOgE said:
Actually, I think it would be cooler if you *couldnt* unlock those other charachters unless you got them on Gears 1. I think there should be *different* unlockables for getting achievements inside Gears. Its a great way to tell how good someone is. Like if there was an achievement for beating both games on hardcore... you see a multi player game where someone is using that charachter and you know you are screwed.

This. if you're going to have achievements, only reward the people who had the time/skill/whatever to unlock them.

Teknoman said:
"Linked Achievements" are nice. Kinda like what most japanese developed games do(give rewards for playing previous games in the series/ passing over date from a previous game). I hope more 360 based sequels (looking at you Mass Effect 2) do this. They should give a bonus for people who bought UT III 360 as well.
Rewarding people for playing the original is nice and makes sense -- and obviously a huge portion of your fanbase has. However, adding the UT III thing would feel like a cheap ploy to bump sales of that game (and even if that's whats really going on for Gears 1, it doesn't feel so much that way).

bumpkin

Dirtbag 504 said:
Just to put some expectations in check....

TriForce Lancer - $1,000

16.jpg
Yeah, no way they're going to throw something as expensive and detailed as that in for $70 ($130 minus the usual $60 game price tag). I'd of course like to be wrong because that's sexy... :D

I still like the one Nitemare Armor Studios did for Epic themselves; the one you always see Cliffy holding in pics.

spermatic cord said:
throw in one made out of a nerf gun
http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/01/gunmod.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah I love nerf mods :lol

Wasn't there some halo 3 guns done the same?

Shins

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
No you can just walk around and hold it messing around with friends.
I'm gonna use mine to cut people in half when they send me an invite to play Resistance 2 in November.

Aladuf

Banned
Captain Jebus said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/2706331350_eb433cc680.jpg[IMG]
This one is made by NECA, and from a few things I overheard, this is what will be bundled with the Amazon 'Cat helmet' edition :P[/QUOTE]
*dies*

that looks so fucking awesome.

MaritalWheat said:
I saqw that and the special edition oif GTA 4 for less than the retail of the weird part of it was that they were just sitting there collecting dust.

Mark V

luxarific said:

I'm so glad they invested in good voice actors for this thing. Gears is an example of just how important good VA is. The first game wouldn't have been as much fun as it was without them.

After the panel, one fan ran up to John Di Maggio and asked him to leave a voicemail for a friend as Bender, and it was hilarious listening to John improv on the spot. Lucky voicemail recipient! Probably something he/she will keep for a long time. My first Comic-Con, and I've come to quickly love it for moments like this, getting to see fans interact with the creative talent.

Top Bottom