• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German PS4, XB1, PS3, 360 LTD's as of June 2014 via GFK

Raist

Banned
With Germany being PC-focused, this also shows hot little significance there is in MS keeping Xbox exclusives away from PC to get those gamers buy the console.

I don't know what you mean by PC-focused. Its market share is surely higher in Germany than in France or the UK, but it's not like it's like half the sales or anything.

untitledtee3c.png

doomquake

I live in berlin at the moment..this place is very very sonified. They've got a Sony Center that does red carpet events in the center of town.
Theres also a terrible Sony Style store there (bad prices, low stock).
. The only consumer tech company that beats Sony for the mass market ownership is Apple.

Coen

I do wonder at what point retailers are going to do fire sale deals on Xbox One, just to get rid of stock. We've seen some crazy, half-of-suggested-retail-price-type deals for WiiU and PSVita. I'd love to pick one up if we see that happening for Xbox One.

Xando

I do wonder at what point retailers are going to do fire sale deals on Xbox One, just to get rid of stock. We've seen some crazy, half-of-suggested-retail-price-type deals for WiiU and PSVita. I'd love to pick one up if we see that happening for Xbox One.

Hope to see a 325€ + 1-2 games bundled this christmas, would get me to buy one.

Raist

Banned
yeah, seems Xbox One 2014 in Germany is actually (barely) better than Wii U 2013, though I don't think that holds up now....

wait wasn't France H1 2014 sales for the Wii U like 60k? am I remembering this wrong, or is there something else going on here

We have for WiiU in France:
120k in 2012
176k in 2013
340k LTD as of June
So that leaves 44k in 2014.

As of May 2014 there are 1M PS4/XB1/WiiU in France.
So roughly 660k PS4+XB1, with 366k being sold in 2013, that leaves 294k PS4+XB1 in 2014.

And then given the 0.69M figure from the SELL, that would be ~0.35 3DS+PSV sold in 2014 (with most of that being 3DS, I guess).

Kosma

Banned
Xbox One + 2 games is the price of a PS4 here in Denmark already at Gamestop, and its not even officially out

oti

Banned
I'll never forget walking into a store during Christmas and seeing that pile of lonely Xbox Ones surrounded by people who were looking for a PS4.

That pretty much continued being the case until a few months ago.

"Excuse me, do you have the PS4 in stock?"
"I'm afraid not, but we do have the Xbox One. We'll even gift you a second controll.."
"No thanks bye."

Moonstone

Do you think HALO MCC or Sunset Overdrive will change something with these numbers ?

Halo is not a big franchise in germany. It was only on #19 in the 2012 YTDs. Heck even Modern Warfare 3 (PS3), which was released a year before outsold it clearly (not to mention LANDWIRTSCHAFTS SIMULATOR!). And sunset overdrive won't be a big seller, I guess.

The 360 was somehow successfull because it catered to the more active harcore games (as said before) and was released 15 month earlier. In german gaming boards it felt like 90% were playing on 360, while it was the other way around with the more casual gamers. Due to overshipping you could get it really cheap, and they had the cheapo box without hdd for the kids who couldn't afford the ps3. But the 360 was more or less a third party games only console.

When Halo 1 was released, most people looked down on it, because germany has such a strong pc market and playing a FPS without M&KB was considered a sacrilege. That poor PC port of Halo 2 didn't help either. MS once said in an interview that if you release a game for PC in germany, the 360 version will bomb.

Big MS exclusives:
1. Gears of War 1 & 2 - never released here
2. Crackdown 1 & 2 - never released here
3. Forza is not that popular because of the huge european GT fanbase.
4. Fable 3 - released for PC
5. Alan Wake - not a big title, but was released for PC too

Third Party (timed-)exclusives
1. Mass Effect 1 - Most RPG/Bioware fans in germany play on PC.
2. Bioshock - Spirtual successor of System Shock? - A PC title and also a RPG-like
3. Left for Dead 1 & 2 - Also on PC

... etc. pp.

That's not MS' fault per se. Gears and Crackdown couln't be released because of the german rating system. A censored version would have probably been a better decision

A reason for the success of the 360 was that MS brought a lot of PC games to consoles.
But that didn't work in germany, people played those games on PC. So if you were not part of the 360 super hardcore audience, it felt to the average german gamer that MS had no exclusives at all.

On the other hand: Sony had a lot popular first party exclusives and they sold all pretty well. Even titles like Beyond 2 souls which did poor in the US sold very well here.

Situation in german gaming boards has changed too. All core gamers seem to have switched sides, even the biggest Sony haters. I don't know what MS can do to change that. I said back in december that WiiU should outsell the One after the launch craze, which is apparently happening if you go by software charts. And nintendo has their niche. If amiibo works out and they can get a price cut, One might not overtake the WiiU in germany.

bwakh

I keep saying, the best thing about the last two years has been the "MS is going to have everything as an exclusive" narrative that keeps popping up, every single time there's a gaming show on the horizon. And it never turns out to be true. It's hilarious.

Altho in an insane world it may happen but my favourite ones are Shenmue 3 and Fallout 4 exclusive to the Bone.

Oldsql

Halo is not a big franchise in germany. It was only on #19 in the 2012 YTDs. Heck even Modern Warfare 3 (PS3), which was released a year before outsold it clearly (not to mention LANDWIRTSCHAFTS SIMULATOR!). And sunset overdrive won't be a big seller, I guess.

The 360 was somehow successfull because it catered to the more active harcore games (as said before) and was released 15 month earlier. In german gaming boards it felt like 90% were playing on 360, while it was the other way around with the more casual gamers. Due to overshipping you could get it really cheap, and they had the cheapo box without hdd for the kids who couldn't afford the ps3. But the 360 was more or less a third party games only console.

When Halo 1 was released, most people looked down on it, because germany has such a strong pc market and playing a FPS without M&KB was considered a sacrilege. That poor PC port of Halo 2 didn't help either. MS once said in an interview that if you release a game for PC in germany, the 360 version will bomb.

Big MS exclusives:
1. Gears of War 1 & 2 - never released here
2. Crackdown 1 & 2 - never released here
3. Forza is not that popular because of the huge european GT fanbase.
4. Fable 3 - released for PC
5. Alan Wake - not a big title, but was released for PC too

Third Party (timed-)exclusives
1. Mass Effect 1 - Most RPG/Bioware fans in germany play on PC.
2. Bioshock - Spirtual successor of System Shock? - A PC title and also a RPG-like
3. Left for Dead 1 & 2 - Also on PC

... etc. pp.

That's not MS' fault per se. Gears and Crackdown couln't be released because of the german rating system. A censored version would have probably been a better decision

A reason for the success of the 360 was that MS brought a lot of PC games to consoles.
But that didn't work in germany, people played those games on PC. So if you were not part of the 360 super hardcore audience, it felt to the average german gamer that MS had no exclusives at all.

On the other hand: Sony had a lot popular first party exclusives and they sold all pretty well. Even titles like Beyond 2 souls which did poor in the US sold very well here.

Situation in german gaming boards has changed too. All core games seem to have switched sides, even the biggest Sony haters. I don't know what MS can do to change that. I said back in december that WiiU should outsell the One after the launch craze, which is apparently happening if you go by software charts. And nintendo has their niche. If amiibo works out and they can get a price cut, One might not overtake the WiiU in germany.

Totally agree on all the points you mentioned. The Xbox One is simply not suited for the German or European market the way it is right now and I don´t believe it will change this generation. It doesn´t make it better that the PS4 is advertised as "the most powerful console on the market", even in mainstream medias, making it even less appealing.

Some stores here in Berlin don´t even sell the Xbox One anymore or only offer a very small corner with a limited choice.

Xando

Totally agree on all the points you mentioned. The Xbox One is simply not suited for the German or European market the way it is right now and I don´t believe it will change this generation. It doesn´t make it better that the PS4 is advertised as "the most powerful console on the market", even in mainstream medias, making it even less appealing.

Yup, the XB1 just screamed MURICA last year and murica isnt very popular at the moment here in Germany but i think it has gotten better this year.

Moonstone

Hum yes, that's similar to what I've posted?
To clarify, when I said "half" I meant half the overall market, not half of home console sales.
So I wouldn't call that "focused".

Ok, misunderstood you. However I think you can call the market pc focused, but that depends on the context and I won't argue about semantics.

Kayant

Outsold 4:1 in Germany, and probably similar in most of the EU.

iC5mX9vvQyhdr.gif

MS should focus on clutching North America at this point, and also taking a stab at China.

The seems to be although the price is quite high but it comes with a lot of incentives and they are trying with a lot of local content. Although how that works out for them we shall see. Don't know anything about the china's market but for what people have said not that much because of PC, piracy, gray market.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=864851&highlight=
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866282&highlight=chinajoy
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856096&highlight=chinajoy
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847271&highlight=chinajoy

From looking it things they are hoping it goes big are because this is the only other region where it's visible they are putting a big effort in in terms of content.

Dont really understand why MS is focusing on Japan (at least based on what they've said) when what they really need to do is take care of their problems in Europe. Any of those European countries will sell easily 5x what Japan will give them on a weekly basis, since I dont think anyone in their right mind doubts that we'll be seeing xbone media create numbers at 200-300 units a week before 12 months have passed. And its not like they need to release in Japan at all to secure Japanese third party support. Any of the JP third parties releasing on the xbone will be targeting the west, not their backyard.

China.

OT - There isn't anything they can really do to change the mindset is there? Launch EU numbers in september are probably going to be quite bad. I wonder if we will get an update to sold units this year at all.

EGOMON

There really nothing MS can do about this in EU its just that people want Playsation consoles i mean look at last-gen the 360 was half the price of the PS3 and came out a year and a half earlier and still got outsold its just that PS brand way stronger than Xbox even if XBO launch wasn't fucked, no PR BS and was $400 too it still can't compete against PS4

Devil

X360 was never objectively "the better choice". Most of the features X360 has didn't even work outside of the US.

Other countries are also probably not as tolerant of defective hardware.

I may have expressed that wrong. I didn't meant to say that the 360 was "the objectively better choice" because there is no such thing. I just thought it was interesting that while the 360 was riding high even in german gaming forums and among my gaming enthusiastic friends, everyone else I knew couldn't be bothered with the possibility to not buy the PS3, even though it was going for 600€ and every single game they wanted to get for it was available on the Xbox. They never argued with the 360's hardware issues, it was mostly just "hardware power" and "Playstation".

By the end they were probably happy with their PS3 so it is hard to argue that they made a "wrong choice" and I'm happy to see the PS4 going strong here. Nevertheless I still think the Playstation brand is what sold the PS3 to most customers, especially during the early years. And therefore it was no surprise to me that the PS4 is doing very, very well.

Hyun Sai

You can expect similar numbers or worse here in France.

Nothing they can do. The Bone is crippled by nonsensical design, US centered, and bad reputation since E3 2013. Everybody in France knew the war was over, and only US / UK could save Microsoft. Seems like they even failed there.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think we are two steps away from a quickfire successor/early exit from the gen (pos by 2016).

Seriously? Close to exiting the gen by 2016? So basically not even a full 3 year life span? The Wii U's lineup shows that the system will be around without a successor until at least 2015.

Xbox One coming possibly having a shorter life than the Wii U even with more third party support and sales? Really?

Into

For MS to take Europe, they need to double down on the Americana.

Bundle Jeezy's new album, a signed poster of Tim McGraw and the official jersey of the Dallas Cowboys.

That, with the incoming NFL deal, and Sony is in deep shit in Europe.

Bgamer90

Banned
to be honest, im not sure why people think the xbox one will sell 30 million lifetime, it doesn't have a japanese market, it doesn't seem to have a european market, and the north american market is doing alright, but not enough to make it 30 million. idk, i just dont see how it can

The system should be over three million in NA sales now (almost guaranteed that it reached that point last month unless it sold less than 75K for July NPD). It should hit at least 5 million in NA sales when the year is over (especially if the November/December sales are big; as they usually are).

If MS can continue on getting at least the same amount of sales in just the NA for the whole gen (around 5 Million per year), and this gen lasts 5-6 years then I think it's definitely possible for the system to reach 30 million worldwide.

Definetly Sony land over here. I know a lot of people who either have a PS4 or are planning to get one. Don't know a single person who wants an Xbone.
People even look at me strange if I tell them that I actually seem interested in the Xbone.

Mikke

Seems right. A big german electronics chain recently had 20% off everything for a couple of days. Not one PS4 to be seen while there were literally two or three dozen XB1s on a huge pile. People don't want them even when they're 20% off. I don't think the gap was this big last generation, at least in my friend group it was pretty much 50-50 PS3s to 360s.

Curufinwe

I keep saying, the best thing about the last two years has been the "MS is going to have everything as an exclusive" narrative that keeps popping up, every single time there's a gaming show on the horizon. And it never turns out to be true. It's hilarious.

I wish I could remember the name of the person who spent pages arguing with me that Left for Dead 3 would be Xbone/PC exclusive.

Seriously? Close to exiting the gen by 2016? So basically not even a full 3 year life span? The Wii U's lineup shows that the system will be around without a successor until at least 2015.

Xbox One coming possibly having a shorter life than the Wii U even with more third party support and sales? Really?

I don't get that either. It's here to stay for a while.

Just nothing close to some of the policies from last generation.

DarkMehm

Unless something seriously goes wrong XB1 will sell more units in the US alone than Wii U can sell worldwide. The XB1 is down a lot compared to the 360 but is isn't down to Wii U levels. It should still reach 10 million in Europe, especially thanks to UK, where it will get to at least 4 million alone. Wii U will be lucky to get to that figure in the whole of Europe.

Bgamer90

Banned
People don't want them even when they're 20% off. I don't think the gap was this big last generation, at least in my friend group it was pretty much 50-50 PS3s to 360s.

Like I said before, the PS3 outsold the 360 2:1 in Germany for some months and this was before the remodel/rebranding. Definitely seems to be a Playstation heavy territory.

GenericUser

Even if Microsoft lowers the price to 299€ and bundles Fifa 15 with the Box, their system is not going to catch up, thats my opinion. Right from the start the xbox one was perceived as a poorly designed and technically inferior product compared to the ps4. That and the fact that the Playstation brand still is the synonym for videogames around here is the nail in the coffin.

Mikke

Like I said before, the PS3 outsold the 360 2:1 in Germany for some months and this was before the remodel/rebranding. Definitely seems to be a Playstation heavy territory.

Oh sure, just talking about my experience. Everyone I know (including me) that had a 360 last gen now has a PS4. I'm also the only one I know who has a WiiU, although two of my friends want to buy one eventually.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't get that either. It's here to stay for a while.

Posts like that make me feel as if some participate in sales threads just for stealth console warring. Such an unlikely thing to happen especially with the system maintaining third party support.

Oh sure, just talking about my experience. Everyone I know (including me) that had a 360 last gen now has a PS4. I'm also the only one I know who has a WiiU, although two of my friends want to buy one eventually.

Yeah, I was just bringing up how things were at the same point last gen in terms of sales.

Shahed

I wonder how much the Xbox One reveal still leaves a sour taste on people? Especially on non Americans? Sure they've changed their tone since, but the first impression lasts the longest. Now pre-release I was always saying that I'd be open to the Xbox One, even with all the Online Only DRM, Region Lock and no used games thingy. I still am wanting an Xbox (just need more exclusives) and while annoying, I wasn't that bothered by all that. But that initial look still boggles my mind and I can't believe I took a day off for it

All three new consoles were announced in America. That's fine. However both Nintendo and Sony talked about games, and their message was region neutral. These platforms were for everyone. Microsoft on the other hand not only come out with all the TV nonsense, but also with the NFL deal and all the other Amercia centric stuff. Non US residents could watch or hear reports on PS4 and Wii U's reveal and be perfectly content and feel this was for them. But the Xbox One? Yeah no.Even for the general mainstream who won't watch the conference, they'll still get coverage via a news report and second hand from elsewhere, and without searching for the show or watching it, they will also get the impression the console is not for them. Well at least in comparison to the other consoles.

And yes Microsoft have done well to change their messaging. But how much of that is too little too late? Initial reveals get the biggest coverage and reach wider to give the most impressions, and their's was a mistake. The random customer who heard Xbox One wasn't for them when it was first showcased might not know things have changed. Even if they do they might have got a PS4 already, or decided earlier that PS4 was the one to get when they do eventually get a next gen console

The system should be over three million in NA sales now (almost guaranteed that it reached that point last month unless it sold less than 75K for July NPD). It should hit at least 5 million in NA sales when the year is over (especially if the November/December sales are big; as they usually are).

If MS can continue on getting at least the same amount of sales in just the NA for the whole gen (around 5 Million per year), and this gen lasts 5-6 years then I think it's definitely possible for the system to reach 30 million worldwide.

It's not 5 million a year, though. That's 1.8 million from 2013 plus 3.2M in 2014 in North America. Add in the rest of the world and they're on track to sell a little over 4M a year over all. That's WiiU level sales and there is no benefit to MS to limp through a generation like that. Gaming is a core business for Nintendo. It's a sideshow for MS, one that isn't demonstrating any benefit. You need to brace yourself for the possibility they will pull out.

It's not 5 million a year, though. That's 1.8 million from 2013 plus 3.2M in 2014 in North America. Add in the rest of the world and they're on track to sell a little over 4M a year over all. That's WiiU level sales and there is no benefit to MS to limp through a generation like that. Gaming is a core business for Nintendo. It's a sideshow for MS, one that isn't demonstrating any benefit. You need to brace yourself for the possibility they will pull out.

What are you talking about, 5 million would be a (really conservative) LTD for the US at that point, and the US definitely is not providing 80% of its sales anyway.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's not 5 million a year, though. That's 1.8 million from 2013 plus 3.2M in 2014 in North America.

I never said it was 5 million a year in my post (why would I if the system hasn't even been around for a year yet?). I said that the system should reach 5 Million in American sales before the year is over. And again, this is America alone. While the console isn't doing well in many areas outside of North America, we are talking about the 2014 sales of the system before adding in all those other territories. (At least) 5 Million in worldwide sales before the year is over is a pretty safe prediction for the Xbox One.

We can also make the pretty safe assumption that the Xbox One is at least at 3 Million in American sales now based on last month's NPD. This is before August, September, October, November, and December sales. The system should get at least 1 million in sales combined for November and December in America alone. The Wii U sold around 700K last year for those two (combined) months in America and this was when it was up against the Xbox One and PS4 launches.

dd in the rest of the world and they're on track to sell a little over 4M a year over all. That's WiiU level sales...

On track to sell a little over 4 Million this year? The system is at 3 million in NA sales alone right now. You honestly think the system will be under 500K for both November and December in NA? Wii U sold close to 500K in North America last December alone and this was (again) when it was was up against the PS4 and Xbox One launches. The Xbox One won't have a better 2014 Holiday season in America than the Wii U last year? I honestly can't agree with that.

and is no benefit to MS to limp through a generation like that. Gaming is a core business for Nintendo. It's a sideshow for MS, one that isn't demonstrating any benefit. You need to brace yourself for the possibility they will pull out.

I'm sorry but the thought of it happening is absurd. The system is maintaining solid third party support and some of the system's big exclusives aren't coming out until 2016 at the earliest. It would make far more sense to say the Wii U has a high possibility to be replaced (or ended) in 2016 but even that seems like it won't be the case based on what they showed at E3.

mike4001_

Just for perspective.

Also the PS3 sold about double the amount than the xbox 360 in Germany.

So the 3 : 1 lead in Germany for the PS4 right now is not that different from the lead in the US if you compare it to the previous generation ;)

They lost basically everywhere ~50%

spwolf

Actually I find the XB1 numbers fairly surprising

Compared with US sales of the XB1

US XB1 2013 YTD = 1817k, ~ 62% of total LTD
US XB1 2014 YTD = 1099k, ~ 38% of total LTD

German XB1 2013 YTD = 100k, ~ 59% of total LTD
German XB1 2014 YTD = 70k, ~ 41% of total LTD

This somehow implies that Germany was less front-loaded than the US for XB1 sales, relatively of course

if you live in a bubble and competition doesnt exist, then sure... but in reality it is surprising that the gap is widening at much larger rate than 2013, despite XB1 dropping the base price substantially.

if you live in a bubble and competition doesnt exist, then sure... but in reality it is surprising that the gap is widening at much larger rate than 2013, despite XB1 dropping the base price substantially.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be relevant to SwiftDeath's post.

Seems right. A big german electronics chain recently had 20% off everything for a couple of days. Not one PS4 to be seen while there were literally two or three dozen XB1s on a huge pile. People don't want them even when they're 20% off. I don't think the gap was this big last generation, at least in my friend group it was pretty much 50-50 PS3s to 360s.

DAMN IT, why did I miss out on that? I've been on the fence for a while now and would've bought one immediately...
Media Markt, right? And was it seriously on everything? Seems crazy.

What are you talking about, 5 million would be a (really conservative) LTD for the US at that point, and the US definitely is not providing 80% of its sales anyway.

Regardless of what figures that poster used, I actually think if a big price cut doesn't stimulate a much higher baseline sales, MS WILL start thinking about an early exit to the gen. Possibly by 2016/17.

It's not really surprising, Sony was always gonna have Europe. Microsoft making their console so America-centric just made it easier for them.

Jindrax

I'm hoping the industry doesn't see an early exit...
I mean can you imagine games coming out on 360 xbone and xbone2... That's just going to be stupid.

Living in german I actually know several people who own a Ps4 and several people who want to buy a Ps4.
I know nobody with an XboxOne and I know nobody who wants to buy an XboxOne.
I even know a guy with a WiiU.
Even though I know more people with a 360 than Ps3.

Yay for worthless anecdotal evidence.

I think Microsoft needs to have a very good Gamescom showing. They can actually compete with Sony on exclusive titles this year. I don't think they will be able to in the coming years, so they should use this opportunity.

I never said it was 5 million a year in my post (why would I if the system hasn't even been around for a year yet?). I said that the system should reach 5 Million in American sales before the year is over.

But you said exactly that...

We can also make the pretty safe assumption that the Xbox One is at least at 3 Million in American sales now based on last month's NPD. This is before August, September, October, November, and December sales. The system should get at least 1 million in sales combined for November and December in America alone. The Wii U sold around 700K last year for those two (combined) months in America and this was when it was up against the Xbox One and PS4 launches.

On track to sell a little over 4 Million this year? The system is at 3 million in NA sales alone right now. You honestly think the system will be under 500K for both November and December in NA? Wii U sold close to 500K in North America last December alone and this was (again) when it was was up against the PS4 and Xbox One launches. The Xbox One won't have a better 2014 Holiday season in America than the Wii U last year? I honestly can't agree with that.
Here you're doing it again. It is not at 3 million this year damnit, you keep saying that but it's not it's at 1.1YTD.

Top Bottom