• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 THE BRODEO) 05/07/2008

probune

"Kane laughs" should become a new GFW meme. Only, it should be the poster talking about themselves in the third person. Used in place of "lol".

Probune laughs!

I disagree with the hate for the low brow stuff in GTA. I don't understand what's fundamentally wrong with "TW@" as a joke. Sure its a dirty word used for a cheap laugh, but there is still something there to "get." Its not like the sign literally spelled out "twat", it was a joke that people actually have to recognize as being one.

GhaleonQ

Suburban Cowboy said:
I disagree with the hate for the low brow stuff in GTA. I don't understand what's fundamentally wrong with "TW@" as a joke. Sure its a dirty word used for a cheap laugh, but there is still something there to "get." Its not like the sign literally spelled out "twat", it was a joke that people actually have to recognize as being one.

Edit: 2:25-3:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_4btqKKGX8

It's meaningless, purposeless, AND crude. Charlie Chaplin's 3 straight poop jokes in "City Lights" were lowbrow, but required an intellectual jump, contributed to the story and "feel," and added a little absurdity at the end. Rockstar was just being fundamentally unserious...again. I imagine that their scene would have Chaplin scooping feces, turn to shake his fist at God, and then have a mountain of crap rain down on him.

Visual aid:

200375b.jpg

voltron

Suburban Cowboy said:

Yeah I agree. I guess the argument could be made however that the simple act of naming something "twat" - no matter how clever - is really just too low brow to be appreciated.

But I still agree with you for the most part.

fallout

Preface: I agree that the weapon unlocking through achievements is stupid in TF2.

Ryan (even though he may not respond to this), the three achievements that you complained about are not the bad ones. They are difficult, but they're not bad. As you said, the bad ones are ones that don't promote "proper" medic play, much like the one that Shawn mentioned (assisting a heavy in punching 5 players). I would throw in the killing of medics with bonesaws and the killing of scouts with syringe guns. Now, let's look at the ones you listed:

Big Pharma: Assist a Heavy in killing 20 enemies, where neither of you die.

I've seen people do this in normal play, well before the patch, even. While it may not promote the best style of medic play, it does require a medic to do her role and do it well.

Chief of Staff: Accumulate 1 million total heal points.

Hell, I know quite a few people that had it unlocked immediately after the patch, as it worked retroactively. Probably doable with 30-40 hours of medic play. While that sounds like quite a bit, the really dedicated medic will have done it, guaranteed. It's not even really that much of a "grind" since most of what you do as a medic is heal, so it promotes that much.

First Do No Harm: Play a full round without killing any enemies, and score the highest on a team of 6 or more players.

I've actually done this pre-patch and while it sounds ridiculous at first, the only way to accomplish it (in normal play) is to assist a variety of people while they're getting kills. So, what this actually promotes is a constant rotation of healing targets and uber-power conservation. If you are constantly going around and healing good targets, I guarantee that you'll eventually do this. Capping points and other things help, obviously, but I remember doing this just by having a really good run as medic and knowing a couple of excellent players on my team.

I'm gonna go play Grim Fandango and Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis now.

Oh, and great show so far. I've subjected the lady to the show, and surprisingly she has found it entertaining.

fallout said:
Preface: I agree that the weapon unlocking through achievements is stupid in TF2.

Ryan (even though he may not respond to this), the three achievements that you complained about are not the bad ones. They are difficult, but they're not bad. As you said, the bad ones are ones that don't promote "proper" medic play, much like the one that Shawn mentioned (assisting a heavy in punching 5 players). I would throw in the killing of medics with bonesaws and the killing of scouts with syringe guns. Now, let's look at the ones you listed:

Big Pharma: Assist a Heavy in killing 20 enemies, where neither of you die.

I've seen people do this in normal play, well before the patch, even. While it may not promote the best style of medic play, it does require a medic to do her role and do it well.

Chief of Staff: Accumulate 1 million total heal points.

Hell, I know quite a few people that had it unlocked immediately after the patch, as it worked retroactively. Probably doable with 30-40 hours of medic play. While that sounds like quite a bit, the really dedicated medic will have done it, guaranteed. It's not even really that much of a "grind" since most of what you do as a medic is heal, so it promotes that much.

First Do No Harm: Play a full round without killing any enemies, and score the highest on a team of 6 or more players.

I've actually done this pre-patch and while it sounds ridiculous at first, the only way to accomplish it (in normal play) is to assist a variety of people while they're getting kills. So, what this actually promotes is a constant rotation of healing targets and uber-power conservation. If you are constantly going around and healing good targets, I guarantee that you'll eventually do this. Capping points and other things help, obviously, but I remember doing this just by having a really good run as medic and knowing a couple of excellent players on my team.

Yeah, 1 million points and "first do no harm" were easy. I had almost 5 million heal points before the patch. And since I never get kills anyway lol, it's quite easy to lead the team for the second achievement.

One time I got over 20+ assist kills on a life with Robotaholic which just happened because we were at the right place. This would require some strategy post-patch since it happens mostly with luck.

I spent most of the week playing the missions, one the stand out mission has to be three leaf clover. So much fun killing cops. Has anyone tried to find a dirt bike and go to the east side of Algonquin and go on the ramps and half pipes? I wished they made skate boards in gta.

Dartastic

h3ro said:
Great GTA discussion guys. Really refreshing to hear people stand back from the "OMG 10+ GOAT" crowd and actually discuss the game mechanics and the correlation between hype and the actual game...

Agreed. I felt the exact same way as Shawn when I actually started playing GTA, and I felt the same way when I just started becoming sociopathic through the story line. It really did create a massive disconnect for me.

GhaleonQ said:
Edit: 2:25-3:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_4btqKKGX8

It's meaningless, purposeless, AND crude. Charlie Chaplin's 3 straight poop jokes in "City Lights" were lowbrow, but required an intellectual jump, contributed to the story and "feel," and added a little absurdity at the end. Rockstar was just being fundamentally unserious...again. I imagine that their scene would have Chaplin scooping feces, turn to shake his fist at God, and then have a mountain of crap rain down on him.
if you're talking about the ast gen games, probably but that was okay because it was an exaggerated version of reality.

FartOfWar

Banned
Schwieling schwielers schwiel so shut your schwielhole.

And for our German listeners, griefing is known as "spiel und schweil"

farnham said:
about the GTAIV talk -> I agree... LAZLOW = Awesome
He was awesome in this one once again but overall the radio talk was disappointing. In fact I just popped in GTAIII just to listen to ChatterBox. And come on crew, you make such a big deal out of TW@ and CNT, it's just a small joke that's thrown in. I'm sure Jeff wouldn't like people making a big fucking deal out of his comments or the same with Shawn when he talks about greifing.
Edit: About the chase, it is possible to kill the guy before he gets to the ledge. And Shawn, I was also disappointed about the fact that you have to wait until a certain cutscene to kill someone. I believe in the older GTAs it was possible to block areas with cars.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shawn is wrong about the biker mission.
You can kill him before he meets his gang buddies. I have done it.

Rlan said:
Quick note: All characters are unlockable via Multiplayer for Smash Bros. It's not necessary to do the single player at all for them. Some levels are unlocked by doing some specific "Events" though.
Yeah but some of them are only unlocked by doing like 200 multiplayer matches. It's pretty steep.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just send all the awesome candy to me and I'll drop it off at their office.

squicken

Suburban Cowboy said:

I thought their whole segment on GTA was off. They laughed at the talk radio station but are hurt by the sex jokes. Offending sensibilities is always funny until they're your own.

Edit: And the same 2 guys wrote the whole game. So it's not a case of the junior staff run amok.

Xater

About that review discussion:

I totally I agree. Most reviews are boring as hell game mechanics descriptions and I have absolutley no interest reading those. Today you can now all this stuff way before the game is out. That actually is one of the reasons I only look at scores and just when somethign seems off I read the review to see why the decision was made.

The discussions you want are why I listen to GFW or 1up Yours. Those formats are great to do such discussions. I think it's for the most part the hardcore gamers that listen to such podcasts and they don't need to hear about the stuff alot of reviews describe because they already now that shit.

Basically keep doing what you are doing with your podcasts/shows and I am happy.

PS: Shawn now that you are a features editor maybe you can do some of the stuff that you would like to see?

eznark

Banned
I just started listening and had to comment on Shawn's comments about reviews of GTA and their desire to produce the biggest game boner.

I listened to the gamespot podcast the hotspot yesterday. One guy literally said that GTA 4 "changed his life" and he had a different view of the world as a result of playing GTA, a fresh perspective that forces him to look differently at his environment. The rest of the room heartily agreed with this assessment. A few minutes later one of the guys in the room dared to bring up a few criticisms of the game and he was quite literally shouted down by the rest of the group.

Oh, and those first few minutes when you talked about internet phrases and how done they are, yeah, Garnett is gonna feel like an ass when he listens to that.

Gowans

Event packs for GTA IV DLC is such a awesome idea.

I need a Zombie outbreak, giant monster attack, Natural Disaster and Alien Attack modes now.

It's really a shame to hear that the band is sort of broken up, that puts an even larger downer on losing the mag.

I agree about some of GTA's humour being lowbrow. One of the examples of what I thought was funny was the magicians routine in the cabaret and his callous attitude towards his assistant, once you realise they're divorced; or Nico's drunken attempts to hail a Taxi cab.

But other times- well not everything needs to be a really obvious sex or swearword joke to be funny. There are NPCs who just shout "Titties" or "Fuck Fucking Fuckers" for no reason at all. Some of the humour is one step removed from assigning a button on the controller that makes Nico flail his arms about and yell, "Cocks!"

eznark

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
It's really a shame to hear that the band is sort of broken up, that puts an even larger downer on losing the mag.

I agree about some of GTA's humour being lowbrow. One of the examples of what I thought was funny was the magicians routine in the cabaret and his callous attitude towards his assistant, once you realise they're divorced; or Nico's drunken attempts to hail a Taxi cab.

But other times- well not everything needs to be a really obvious sex or swearword joke to be funny. There are NPCs who just shout "Titties" or "Fuck Fucking Fuckers" for no reason at all. Some of the humour is one step removed from assigning a button on the controller that makes Nico flail his arms about and yell, "Cocks!"

That is the kind of humor that would have returned the whimsy to Mario Kart. Baby Peach flailing her arms yelling "COCKS!" would be hilarious for weeks.

Rlan

Metal Gear?! said:
Yeah but some of them are only unlocked by doing like 200 multiplayer matches. It's pretty steep.

Are they Multiplied by the amount of players? I remember Melee also had characters or something unlocked after a certain amount of plays, but was 4 times faster with 4 players.

hiryu

HK-47 said:
Shawn is wrong about the biker mission.
You can kill him before he meets his gang buddies. I have done it.

I don't believe you. I tried many times to do this and he doesn't take damage from my gun and I couldn't get close enough on my bike. How did you do it?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I did the same thing on the dry-cleaner mission (doesn't everyone?) but I just stopped trying to stack cars when I had spent ten minutes doing it, went barely around the corner to grab another one and they all disappeared.

It must have been blatantly obvious when they were designing the mission that people would want to do this, so instead of denying the player the opportunity in a completely artificial way, why not use the existing game mechanics to make things even more interesting for players who choose to go that route. Why not make the escapee have grenades on him to blow his way out? Or have a truck capable of plowing through cars? Doesn't seem to be too much to ask.

While I like the game a lot, to borrow a phrase from creative writing: it's not the fact that the game is unrealistic that bothers me, it's the fact that it's rarely even true to its own reality.

Top Bottom