• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 THE BRODEO) 05/07/2008

CoG

Did Jeff insinuate Brucie is gay? I didn't get that. I took him as one of the stereotypical NY "Guido" types you see at the gym who constantly have to prove their sexuality, but not necessary gay and internally conflicted over it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Xater said:
I didn't. I play all the missions as they are intended.

And yet even if you do that to the best of your ability, you run into broken limitations. E.g., shooting people while they are invincible.

randomwab

RubberJohnny said:
There are NPCs who just shout "Titties" or "Fuck Fucking Fuckers" for no reason at all.

The best one of those was in GTAIII, a Northern Irish accent yelling "Your ma's your da!". Classic.

Johnkers

It would be amazing if GTA4 could do absolutely everything, but you gotta have some realistic limits. There's always more and more they could have done, but there still has to reach that point where it's just not feasible to give us anymore.

It's all about money in the end.

Hopefully whatever they do for DLC, it'll do something new, rather then just more of the same.

eznark

Banned
Johnkers said:
It would be amazing if GTA4 could do absolutely everything, but you gotta have some realistic limits. There's always more and more they could have done, but there still has to reach that point where it's just not feasible to give us anymore.

It's all about money in the end.

Hopefully whatever they do for DLC, it'll do something new, rather then just more of the same.

That is why I'll also be picking it up on the PC when it comes out. That is where we might see some of the crazy scenario mods talked about earlier. that would be dope as hell.

Xater

CoG said:
Did Jeff insinuate Brucie is gay? I didn't get that. I took him as one of the stereotypical NY "Guido" types you see at the gym who constantly have to prove their sexuality, but not necessary gay and internally conflicted over it.

How can you not get that?

@ Astrolad: Well the invincibility is intended by Rockstar. I didn't do anything to make him not invincible, you see where the difference is? :D

Johnkers

eznark said:
That is why I'll also be picking it up on the PC when it comes out. That is where we might see some of the crazy scenario mods talked about earlier. that would be dope as hell.

It'd be nice if Rockstar North really opened up GTA4 to be modded in the same way that Valve and Epic do with their games. The potential would be huge. It's already pretty amazing what the modding teams could do with the GTA3 games, I can just imagine so many more amazing things that'll never happen though (

fallout

HK-47 said:
Shawn is wrong about the biker mission.
You can kill him before he meets his gang buddies. I have done it.
I think the key point to the argument is the way he wanted to do it was not possible.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Xater said:
@ Astrolad: Well the invincibility is intended by Rockstar. I didn't do anything to make him not invincible, you see where the difference is? :D

Just another area where the game is not true to its own reality. Being able to shoot an enemy but it having no effect on his health and there being no attempt to foreshadow, avoid, or explain this is just bad game design. And there's not even the fallback of "we can't account for every single thing the player will do in an open world, that would cost too much!" because these are very tightly scripted and constructed missions already where the player has roughly two options once the chases begin: (i) chase & shoot or (ii) chase alone. And yet they clearly made no effort to even account for (i) in a way that's true to the rest of the game (shoot=hurt).

eznark

Banned
AstroLad said:
Just another area where the game is not true to its own reality. Being able to shoot an enemy but it having no effect on his health and there being no attempt to foreshadow, avoid, or explain this is just bad game design. And there's not even the fallback of "we can't account for every single thing the player will do in an open world, that would cost too much!" because these are very tightly scripted and constructed missions already where the player has roughly two options once the chases begin: (i) chase & shoot or (ii) chase alone. And yet they clearly made no effort to even account for (i) in a way that's true to the rest of the game (shoot=hurt).

I agree completely with this. There are times when Rockstar just doesn't follow it's own rules, which is incredible annoying.

Jacobi

Banned
About the Mario Kart discussion: I felt the same thing when playing Zelda TP. Just so unbelievably fucking uninspired.

rabhw

Regardless of the specific mission Shawn was talking about, there ARE missions in the game that break the rules that have been defined in earlier missions. There are a number of chase missions where you are expected to shoot the people while driving, and then there are some missions where the exact same instruction is given, but they are invincible until they reach a destination, at which point you are expected to kill them. The direction given to the player is not differentiated between these, and it would have been simple -- "kill" the person vs "keep up / follow" the person.

I experienced a similar bug that took me right out of the game, where on a mission where the NPC was driving and was meant to be invincible while evading me. A bug happened where somehow their car flipped on the highway, and I pulled over and started shooting rockets at the car. The rockets were BOUNCING OFF of the car, it was really, really broken.

Foxtastical said:
I'm gonna go play Grim Fandango and Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis now.

Oh, and great show so far. I've subjected the lady to the show, and surprisingly she has found it entertaining.

I've had good luck combining this podcast and my 'lady' also. She still scoffs when she catches me blasting a man's face off in something like CoD4 -- but listening to other seemingly intelligent people talk about games and the issues surrounding them -- justifies to her that my hobby isn't as lame as it first appears to an "outsider".

She also appreciates quality stories and complete professional breakdowns.

DKehoe

RubberJohnny said:
But other times- well not everything needs to be a really obvious sex or swearword joke to be funny. There are NPCs who just shout "Titties" or "Fuck Fucking Fuckers" for no reason at all. Some of the humour is one step removed from assigning a button on the controller that makes Nico flail his arms about and yell, "Cocks!"

GTA 1 (I can't remember if 2 had it or not) had a button which made the character fart or burp.

FartOfWar

Banned
squicken said:
I thought their whole segment on GTA was off. They laughed at the talk radio station but are hurt by the sex jokes. Offending sensibilities is always funny until they're your own.

Edit: And the same 2 guys wrote the whole game. So it's not a case of the junior staff run amok.

Ha, hurt by the sex jokes? You're loaded. I just want the games gags to be better than the shit I name the Company of Heroes matches I host.

FartOfWar

Banned
hiryu said:
I don't believe you. I tried many times to do this and he doesn't take damage from my gun and I couldn't get close enough on my bike. How did you do it?
Exactly. He'll even get back on his bike if he gets tossed and shot.

ravien56

for the gta4 missions, I've must of unloaded 4 clips of a uzi onto that guy and he still didnt die unless i stepped on his feet...by the time i got the choice to make him live or die, i was so mad from chasing him down i just stepped on him

DKehoe

Shawn was wrong about the mission on the building site where you get the choice with the guy on the bridge. I shot the guy while chasing him and had no idea there was a choice until a friend mentioned it to me.

CoG

I think I wasted the laundromat guy as he was headed out the back door. He never made it to the car. The shotgun is really useful.

Vaxadrin

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
But other times- well not everything needs to be a really obvious sex or swearword joke to be funny. There are NPCs who just shout "Titties" or "Fuck Fucking Fuckers" for no reason at all. Some of the humour is one step removed from assigning a button on the controller that makes Nico flail his arms about and yell, "Cocks!"

I don't know if you've ever been to New York, but those kind of things actually add to Liberty City's realism.

DKehoe

Yeh I was just wondering if it would be possible to have Robert Ashley as a regular. Would be great.

Mr.City

Opus Angelorum said:
Max chill and Robert Ashley should appear more often, I could listen to both of them all day.

Great show as usual guys.

You know they're both the same person, right?

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Slightly unrelated, but I was just playing Team Fortress 2 when someone joined our team and began to read to us over voice chat a Sonic/Tails fan faction. I swear it came straight from a heroes of the web. The best part was that our team couldn't get enough people to vote to ban him so it went on for a good twenty minutes. :lol

GhaleonQ

JeffGreen said:
OR ARE THEY????

smeagol.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
hiryu said:
I don't believe you. I tried many times to do this and he doesn't take damage from my gun and I couldn't get close enough on my bike. How did you do it?

I shot him a bunch. He died midway through housing developments at an intersection. And I know I did it cause the other bikers never appeared nor had he gone far enough.

probune

squicken said:
I thought their whole segment on GTA was off. They laughed at the talk radio station but are hurt by the sex jokes. Offending sensibilities is always funny until they're your own.

They aren't offended by it, they just don't like it. You pretty much missed the entire point of what they were saying.

Sean Malloy and Ryan Scott are awesome for the Way of the Samurai love going on. Way of the Samurai is amazing. WotS2 is longer and has even more outcomes to situations. WotS3 would have been even better, but the lead guy who worked on the previous games went over to Capcom. Acquire needs more funding.

fatty

About Mario Kart Wii, I was kind of burnt out on the series but ended up giving in and picking it up because of the multiplayer aspect.

I'm not seeing the uninspired bit. To be fair though, I've only played multiplayer but I'm having a blast. It's great seeing your character turn around and pump his fist when you nail someone online. Not a real deep game by any means, but just fun. And with myself not being some elite gamer, the rubberband AI works nicely in keeping the games close and I don't have to worry about hearing people act like idiots online. Really good experience for someone who normally isn't into online gaming.

I'd have to agree that having to play through the single player to unlock cart and characters sucks, and it's something that I don't want anything to do with because it can be tedious. Luckily, I have enough variety in carts and courses right now, without having played single player, that I'm perfectly content.

It's just a nice way to relax and play a few games to unwind. Jeff, I really recommend you giving it a shot. Don't go into it with a goal of trying to unlock items, just kick back and play a few online games. You'll like it.

Xrenity

Ryder said:
How the hell does that sound anything like "Kane laughs"?? :lol
That's the only thing I hear it saying :p

Great episode, good GTA talk.

I'm curious what you think about Assassin's Creed, Shawn. I got it day 1 on PC and loved it. It's much better if you play it without the HUD, and I'm glad I read that before I got started.

legend166

Just finished listening to the show.

I don't agree on Mario Kart. I can see why people don't like the 'Nintendo Fairness', but it doesn't bother me. I know what I'm getting going into the game, so it's fine. I don't play it for balance.

Also, I can't believe you guys talked about Lucas Arts adventure games and didn't even mention Monkey Island.

Finally, in regards to the meme's, I somewhat agree. I don't really care if people use them online, although ftw is getting annoying. What's worse are the people that use them in real life. I'm doing an IT degree at Uni, so I'm surrounded by morons who literally say "for the win", "powned" and "epic fail". Makes me want to punch them in the face.

Johnkers

legend166 said:
Also, I can't believe you guys talked about Lucas Arts adventure games and didn't even mention Monkey Island.

Every single time! I think even in the adventure games Retornauts episode, Monkey Island was almost left out :( To me, it's THE adventure series!

Curse <3

legend166

Johnkers said:
Every single time! I think even in the adventure games Retornauts episode, Monkey Island was almost left out :( To me, it's THE adventure series!

Curse <3

Same here. In my mind, Monkey Island was the series, and everything else was an awesome side dish.

Speaking of the old adventure games, what are the system reqs Grim Fandango or Indiana Jones to run?

Is there a Mac SCUMM emulator to play Indiana Jones? And does Grim Fandango work on Windows XP?

Johnkers

omgimaninja said:
Is there a Mac SCUMM emulator to play Indiana Jones? And does Grim Fandango work on Windows XP?

Without getting too much into it, SCUMM VM isn't an emulator but you do use it to play all your SCUMM games. There's versions of it on every damn platform out there, including OSX.

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php
http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php

All you need to do is copy the original games files (from disk or CD) and then boot up SCUMM

SupahBlah

Banned
KANE LAUGHS

I agree with the script nature of GTA at times it ruined the believability of the world. On some chase missions I shot out the tires of the car I was chasing and they controlled like normal. So I knew it was on a script and there was no point wasting bullets.

Also now I've completed it I have too much money and nothing to spend it on. Even during the game I got over $500,000 (and the achievement) and hearing Niko whine they are poor was a little meh.

Will Fallout 3 have this issue? Like during a mission the script makes it impossible for you to do anything other than what they intend. I don't really see anyway around it.

randomwab

SupahBlah said:
I agree with the script nature of GTA at times it ruined the believability of the world. On some chase missions I shot out the tires of the car I was chasing and they controlled like normal. So I knew it was on a script and there was no point wasting bullets.

I wouldn't have cared about this so much had everything I read about the game not claimed that it was the first real evolution of sandbox games this new generation. In many respects, it felt like a step backwards. And I hated the schizophrenic nature of the problem, one mission I could kill someone as they were driving away, another mission I could not. It was really annoying to not know whether you were wasting ammo trying to shoot this person or whether it was best to just wait until they got to where they were trying to go.

Supahblah said:
Also now I've completed it I have too much money and nothing to spend it on. Even during the game I got over $500,000 (and the achievement) and hearing Niko whine they are poor was a little meh.

This was one of the reasons I did the last mission how I did. When Roman is telling me they need the money, I was just thinking "But my cash counter says I have over $600,000 and I have like 4 apartments, why the hell do I need the money".

WAYNE IS NOT AMUSED BY THESE ASPECTS OF GTAIV

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Johnkers said:

Curse <3

Fear not! That's not a conscious omission. The Monkey Island games aren't just my favorite of the LucasArts games--they're right up there in my favorite games of all time. Brilliant series.

Great episode this week, I had the same dreams for gta iv. Hoping there would be some big suprise twist that no one saw coming. There was so much potential for it. I just wanted a big catastrophic event to take place, like how Shawn mentioned a hurricane hitting the city, all the streets are flooded and you have to get around in a boat. I was thinking maybe an arsonist setting the entire city on fire, watching panic take over and getting involved with the looting and riots would be fun!

Or who wouldn't have wanted it to turn into a zombie holocaust with co-op. Now the whole game is just about survival. Building barricades, collecting rations finding places to hide, setting traps, sniping from rooftops etc. Give me an earthquake or a visit from godzilla. I would have been happy with any of those scenarios.

Top Bottom