• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 - The Brodeo) 08/27/08

border

Legendary Thread has been pretty good lately, even in the segments without Jeff. Last week he didn't have much of anything at all to say, and I still liked it.

As if the week I've been having wasn't stressful enough, this news has officially broken both my spirit and my will to live. Well played, Black Dragon. :'(

FartOfWar

Banned
Please submit your listener's questions for Jeff's final GFW Radio.
I'd love to take as many good ones as we can. Thanks for your input

gloone

FartOfWar said:

If you confirm that this is not a joke. :(

Thomper

FartOfWar said:
Definately some good stories of his past 17 years. What was his first day like, stuff like that. Plus, will he have any contact with Will Wright in his new job?

Acid08

Banned
FartOfWar said:
I'm gonna try to think of something good. Black Dragon :(

Edit: Maybe his take on the state of games journalism, where it's going, and if he thinks big websites like 1up or Gamespot can stay successful after the advent of blogs like Destructoid or Giant Bomb.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thomper said:
What was his first day like, stuff like that.
Stuff like this, for sure.

Also, the obligatory how did gfwradio affect you/what did you think about it when you first started, etc..

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Worst game demo / worst press conference / worst PR rep... whatever, he's getting out of journalism!

subrock

maybe get him to wax and ruminate on the idea of poaching such as this. I'd be interested to hear a conversation about the public persona of game reviewers, given that it was thrust upon you guys, and thoughts on moving forward into the hyperconnected landscape of new media. What is the responsibility of staff to the listeners and readers in a moral sense. What did jeff consider while deciding whether or not to move out of the public eye. will we see a lot of these infectious people poached by developers as they become more connected to their fanbase and also potential employers? how does one determine whether or not someone is the lord of the rings?

Mindlog

ice cream said:
The craziest things fans have done to him (e-celebrity status) etc

Tweak it. Some of the stunts he pulled or one of his employees pulled that he got in trouble for.

also

What's the closest he's ever been to getting fired?

I've been in trouble for the most ridiculous shit at work :]

Thomper

McBacon said:
Worst game demo / worst press conference / worst PR rep... whatever, he's getting out of journalism!
Yes! He's getting out of press stuff, this is the time for insulting every single person Jeff hated working with the past two decades. Make it happen! The more Jeff can scream and yell, the better.

I'm expecting lots of "THIS GUY SUCKS!"

Punchy

Banned
How much did a gallon of gas cost when Jeff first started, and what could he buy for a nickel at the local Wall Drug?

Who is the lord of the rings?

Can I have Jeff's daughter's number?

How will Jeff look himself in the mirror after he walks out on little Shane and little Tina?

Also, unrelated, but Shawn, have you seen the Eagleman commercials before? They used to run in Chicago alongside the BlueBlockers commercials.

FartOfWar said:
COH game is up now if you want in. Name is 3v3 Sensual Sharthouse.
Does anyone play CoD4 anymore? Finally got my 8800 machine running.

Also, I have an actual question for Mr. Green. Does he think anything good will happen to game journalism soon, or will it remain where it is? We all know print is dying, but what about game journalism? Can it evolve past its current state of a puddle of poop?

Doel

FartOfWar said:
Thanks Shawn. I have a question for Jeff.

Right now as a 22 year old taking television/new media production in college, I often get that question "What do you want to do after school?", and I don't feel like we're at or near that point where I can unabashedly tell someone that I want to pursue a career in covering the game industry. What do you think has to happen for gaming press to be taken seriously as a form of media? Or do you think it even has that potential?

And I just want to add that I absolutely love Jeff and the rest of the GFW Radio crew. I don't own a PC (I use a Macbook Pro) but I've listened to the podcast every week for as long as I can remember and you guys have even been able to make discussions around RTS games (my least favourite genre) interesting.

Jeff, as weird as it sounds, you've had a huge positive influence on a lot of people who've considered a career in covering the industry. We'll miss you a ton. Good luck man.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm really glad for Jeff. When they interviewed Rod about The Sims, he seemed positively euphoric about working for EA.

Robert Ashley said:
[Self promotion]: Max Chill in an unusual venue, Gourmet.com: http://www.gourmet.com/food/2008/09/food-video-game-slideshow

Your article's flawed as it's missing one of the most extraordinary pieces of box art ever created:

Dizzy_fastfood-game-cover.jpg

FartOfWar

Banned
Foxtastical said:
Does anyone play CoD4 anymore? Finally got my 8800 machine running.

Also, I have an actual question for Mr. Green. Does he think anything good will happen to game journalism soon, or will it remain where it is? We all know print is dying, but what about game journalism? Can it evolve past its current state of a puddle of poop?

Yeah we do.

Patryn

As someone who listens to the Brodeo regularly but rarely posts here, let me just add to the torrent of people expressing sadness at your leaving Jeff, but best wishes in your new position. You will be missed.

Really, all this is a weird preview of what the reaction will be when you finally croak (God willing, not for many, MANY years). It's like faking your own funeral!

Some questions:

What is the number one thing PC game makers can do to turn the tide in the PC vs. console war?

What is the most memorable piece of fan mail you've ever received, good or bad?

What's the strangest press junket you've been (not necessarily worst)?

Are there any decisions you'd be willing to discuss that you made while at CGW and GFW that you regret or would do differently?

What story of yours generated the most feedback and why (if not self-explanatory)?

Do you actually like the Black Dragon nickname, considering its jokey origins?

What was your best day at Ziff Davis?

Mr.City

How exactly did you end up getting involving the gaming press? Like all the old timers at Ziff, you probably didn't plan on this being your career from the get go.

fallout

This is extremely corny, but I am legitimately curious ...

Out of everything you've written (with regards to the games industry), pick one piece that pridefully stands out in your mind and tell us why it does.

FartOfWar

Banned
voltron said:
lol Aussie accent? Constantly makes me cringe. (its cool Im from Oz)

Earth, Wind, and Fire fanclub meets in a park. Wait for the steel boomerang that sounds like the Jetson's car.

Scarecrow

1. Well, for one, what IS Jeff's new job/position? From what I've gathered, it's something to do with creative writing, but I may be wrong.

2. What are your new goals at the Sim house?

3. What are some parting thoughts regarding video game journalism/enthusiasm? What's its future?

*yeah, I know I'm not very creative at coming up with questions.

Trevor360 said:
First question:

Jeff, did you account for us (the fans) when deciding whether or not to take this new job?

He was mostly thinking about his family, I'm sure, in the decision on whether to take the new job.

Top Bottom